Speaking of old guys (on Tour Divide)- Mtbr.com
    Don't worry, be happy!

Speaking of old guys (on Tour Divide)

Pretty proud of my hub. He just finished Tour Divide as a racer in 25 days, 15 hours, 49 minutes. Over 170,000' feet of elevation, 2731 miles.
    He did 700 miles last year on his Trance with a BOB and decided to go all out race mode this year on a Salsa Cutthroat with absolute minimal gear. He'd trained since November, did lots of planning prep and here ya go, 48th guy in and second 60+. He had his 6Oth birthday in April.

EMBA Member
    I was never very good at math, but I think that translates into an average day being 109 miles and 6,800 ft. For 25 days in a row. Holy yikes to that! Respect!

9 lives
    That's fantastic! Way to go Mr formica
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Wow. And pulling' a B.O.B. That is awesome!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    two thumbs up to that. amazing. I don't think I could handle being on a bike that long, but maybe a thru hike, in my 50s or 60s (I am 51 now)

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    Wow. And pulling' a B.O.B. That is awesome!
    The BOB was 700 miles last year, touring. No one races it with a bob.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    I was never very good at math, but I think that translates into an average day being 109 miles and 6,800 ft. For 25 days in a row. Holy yikes to that! Respect!
    No kidding! Super cool. Respect x2!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Fantastic achievement!
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

Co Springs
    Wowzers.
    One of the best reasons to post I've seen in a long time. Well deserved applause !

"Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

Don't worry, be happy!
    His coach just happened to have a friend who is a pro photographer, in Silver Springs NM. He caught my hub with just 100 miles to go. Last stretch is easy pavement thank god.
    https://youtu.be/sUxT0UrkwlA

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    His coach just happened to have a friend who is a pro photographer, in Silver Springs NM. He caught my hub with just 100 miles to go. Last stretch is easy pavement thank god.
    [email protected]$$!!!

How long after the finish did he get back on a bike? Whenever I do something really limit-pushing I can barely look at my bike for the better part of a week. I've never done anything remotely as difficult as you though, so I can't imagine.

Of course, he's probably just one of those folks that wanted to ride the heat day anyway !

Congratulations to him

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Don't worry, be happy!
    We went out and did neighborhood errands the next day.

He's pretty cooked. Been eating and napping a lot. His coach wants him to get out and spin but he's not terribly motivated.

mtbr member

I think that's Silver City? I heard someone was making some sort of documentary about the race, was this photographer involved with that?

Tough ride/race for sure, congrats to your husband and anyone else finishing it.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Don't worry, be happy!
    There was a solo elite female (Lael something) who was riding with a documentary crew. Being as it is a 100% self support race,there was a lot of controversy about riding with a film crew following supposedly not interacting. She scratched due to weather in Colorado along with a handful of other elites...5' of snow in the passes that they could not get through

mtbr member
    We were dot watching the Tour Divide that Friday through Sunday. The conditions in the mountains were a deadly combination.

They were all halted at Brush Mountain Lodge by the mud. The snow in the passes was about 2'. Sofiane Sehili was in the lead and made it up to the pass. He turned back around sometime after midnight in a raging blizzard where he couldn't find the trail even with his 2 GPS units. Josh Kato overtook him and bivied down on the mountain. Josh actually found a cave and went to go into it only to find out that a mountain lion was also taking shelter in it.

Josh and 3 others made it over before it warmed and the road up from MBL turned into some of the worst mud anyone had ever seen. Held up the rest of the pack for a couple of days. Josh got deathly ill and ended up scratching at Del Norte. When his dot stopped at the hospital, we knew something was wrong.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

mtbr member
    Pretty proud of my hub. He just finished Tour Divide as a racer in 25 days, 15 hours, 49 minutes. Over 170,000' feet of elevation, 2731 miles.
    He did 700 miles last year on his Trance with a BOB and decided to go all out race mode this year on a Salsa Cutthroat with absolute minimal gear. He'd trained since November, did lots of planning prep and here ya go, 48th guy in and second 60+. He had his 6Oth birthday in April.
    I managed 3 100+ mile days up there a few years back. What he did is truly something to be proud of.

mtbr member
    She scratched due to weather in Colorado along with a handful of other elites...5' of snow in the passes that they could not get through
    She didn't scratch due to the weather. She decided [my interpretation] to end the BS around the filming of her ride by dropping out of the race and finishing the whole ride without a SPOT tracker. She didn't stop riding.

https://theradavist.com/2019/06/tour...e-race-part-4/
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

My cup runneth over
    Mind-blowing. I am a chronic over-exerciser on the bike but can't even imagine doing this. Fortunately this sets the bar so high it is out of sight.

Well done.

Don't worry, be happy!
    He says his motivation was "to see if he could do it".

mtbr member
    I learned my first year up there that even though it is unbelievably beautiful, the scenery gets old after a while and boredom sets in.

Cyclists are like dogs. Some dogs will chase the darn ball all day long and it never gets old. Some will chase the ball but then decide that it's better to sit down with people and chill out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I'm looking at my BOB Ibex hanging in the garage and imagining far greater things than grocery runs.
    Of course, I'm not trying to play down zero eggs broken in years of those grocery runs. They are amazing too!

Don't worry, be happy!
    He made the local news
    (link fixed)

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ling-2745-mil/
    Last edited by formica; 09-09-2019 at 07:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I looked on the link you provided but just got a "sorry" message...no content. The problem is, all of this false moralizing concerning a female rider who simply outrides everybody else, almost all of the time, makes this entire "community" look petty and vindictive. I would never have anything to do with them, now. Lael deserves far better than this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    I looked on the link you provided but just got a "sorry" message...no content. The problem is, all of this false moralizing concerning a female rider who simply outrides everybody else, almost all of the time, makes this entire "community" look petty and vindictive. I would never have anything to do with them, now. Lael deserves far better than this.
    To be fair there are a handful of individuals causing the issue in a community of thousands. It sucks 100%, but it's the extreme minority opinion.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Don't worry, be happy!
    Here's the story again, sorry about that
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ling-2745-mil/

saddlemeat
    ^Your hub is bad ass! Sad the way things worked out with filming Lael. Those old bastards are vicious!
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Great job and thanks for sharing. I never heard of this event and they should get the word out more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    She didn't scratch due to the weather. She decided [my interpretation] to end the BS around the filming of her ride by dropping out of the race and finishing the whole ride without a SPOT tracker. She didn't stop riding.

https://theradavist.com/2019/06/tour...e-race-part-4/
    It's all friggin nonsense, rides like these always start out simple; does anyone remember the early days of the Divide ride? Then someone decides to see how fast they can do it, then the ride becomes a race, seriously, humans are so stoopid.

Congrats to Mr Formica, that's a long time in the saddle doing some serious work.
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)