RV thread - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RV thread

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    wtf bicycle fashion police?
    No, I believe in 'ride your own ride'. I'd always heard that rule, but never really thought about it. But that guy really kinda jumps out. Made me think of it.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoh View Post
    That Swift Basecamp is nice! Someone needs to tell the guy in the video: No tights (or leg warmers) with a short sleeve jersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    wtf bicycle fashion police?
    Lol
    I donít see a problem with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just brought a new Lance 1475 home. It won't see use for several months, but it turns out that January is a great time for lowball offers in Oregon.

I would have gone a more spartan route, but Mrs. Kosmo is very excited.

Which will mean more mtb road trips and that is always good!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Clearly you have never towed with a Promaster. You must think that the weight needs to be over the drive wheels to keep from slipping, but consider the max tongue weight for a dually is 500#, do you honestly think that this "little bit of weight" will make a RWD truck or van rear end get good traction?

The Promaster with 2k over it's front drive wheels gets fat better traction than a RWD van or truck, hence my comment about an AWD or FWD van

I've towed loaders and excavators in the 5-6k range and the van is beast. With all the weight up front, the van pulls like a pack of sled dogs, very well balanced vehicle., excellent traction.

You should look up the videos where they raced the Promaster around a track, it really does handle better than any other van out there by a large margin.

The Promaster is far and away the best big van on the market unless you want AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    You think towing 10k with a SRW 1 ton is suicide, but a few paragraphs later you're advising pulling a trailer with a fwd van?
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Clearly you have never towed with a Promaster. You must think that the weight needs to be over the drive wheels to keep from slipping, but consider the max tongue weight for a dually is 500#, do you honestly think that this "little bit of weight" will make a RWD truck or van rear end get good traction?

The Promaster with 2k over it's front drive wheels gets fat better traction than a RWD van or truck, hence my comment about an AWD or FWD van

I've towed loaders and excavators in the 5-6k range and the van is beast. With all the weight up front, the van pulls like a pack of sled dogs, very well balanced vehicle., excellent traction.

You should look up the videos where they raced the Promaster around a track, it really does handle better than any other van out there by a large margin.

The Promaster is far and away the best big van on the market unless you want AWD.
    I believe you said you have the diesel version? Fiat killed that, and the 3.6L V6 is the only engine offered in the Promaster now. I had the same engine in my 2014 Wrangler, and it would barely tow my 3500lb camping trailer, and that was even with a manual trans. Granted, I was towing over 11,000 foot passes on a regular basis, but no way would I go with that engine to do any kind of towing. Also, I had three *major* engine issues in 60,000 miles, which is why I dumped the Wrangler. Thank goodness Wranglers have insane resale value. I had a Wrangler Unlimited and the tow dynamics were fine, it was just the crap power that made me hate towing with it. The 3.6L has very little torque on the low end, so you had to rev it to the moon to get it to go up a hill. Normally aspirated made it really suck at high altitudes.

When I get a van to do a camping conversion three-four years from now, it is probably going to be a Transit with the 3.5L Ecoboost and a Quigley 4x4 conversion. Same cost as a Sprinter 4x4, but heavier duty and tons more power.

A 2019 Sprinter 4x4 Crew, 144" WB, high roof, with just a few options, is over $60K. The 4x4 option alone is over $12,000! If you can cut a good deal on the Transit, you can get it converted and come up equal or even a little less than the Sprinter 4x4. Quigley uses 90% standard F150 parts to do the conversion and you get the same warranty as the van itself. They have been converting vans to 4x4 for decades.

I should be out riding
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    I believe you said you have the diesel version? Fiat killed that, and the 3.6L V6 is the only engine offered in the Promaster now. I had the same engine in my 2014 Wrangler, and it would barely tow my 3500lb camping trailer, and that was even with a manual trans. Granted, I was towing over 11,000 foot passes on a regular basis, but no way would I go with that engine to do any kind of towing. Also, I had three *major* engine issues in 60,000 miles, which is why I dumped the Wrangler. Thank goodness Wranglers have insane resale value. I had a Wrangler Unlimited and the tow dynamics were fine, it was just the crap power that made me hate towing with it. The 3.6L has very little torque on the low end, so you had to rev it to the moon to get it to go up a hill. Normally aspirated made it really suck at high altitudes.

When I get a van to do a camping conversion three-four years from now, it is probably going to be a Transit with the 3.5L Ecoboost and a Quigley 4x4 conversion. Same cost as a Sprinter 4x4, but heavier duty and tons more power.

A 2019 Sprinter 4x4 Crew, 144" WB, high roof, with just a few options, is over $60K. The 4x4 option alone is over $12,000! If you can cut a good deal on the Transit, you can get it converted and come up equal or even a little less than the Sprinter 4x4. Quigley uses 90% standard F150 parts to do the conversion and you get the same warranty as the van itself. They have been converting vans to 4x4 for decades.
    And you'll have ford maintenance costs rather than MB, and F150 like parts availability and dealer network. What pushed me to ford was lower maintenance cost and better dealer network than MB, and fear of Fiat/Dodge quality. The square sides of the promaster are tempting, but life is too short to gamble on their QC.
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's motorized.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No issues in four years and 70k of use, still makes me smile when I walk out to it in the mornings.

I waited a few years for this van to come to the states.

Hands down best van Iíve ever owned.

Love Fiat and love what theyíve done/doing for Chrysler.

Take the test: drive each of the big euro styled vans, back to back, then pick the one that rides and handles best. Itís a no brainer, the Promaster is the boss.

It is sad the diesel motor is reportedly being cut, but it may just be a one year thing while they switch over to the eco diesel used in the trucks.

Iíll drive mine for 200k, then see whatís new.

Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    And you'll have ford maintenance costs rather than MB, and F150 like parts availability and dealer network. What pushed me to ford was lower maintenance cost and better dealer network than MB, and fear of Fiat/Dodge quality. The square sides of the promaster are tempting, but life is too short to gamble on their QC.
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Been looking to get out of my tent and into a van.

Currently have a Dodge Ecodiesel and will never buy another FCA product.

Have a few friends with Sprinters and they all love them. Biggest drawback to getting a 4x4 is the wait. About 9 months.

Ordered a 144 wb diesel 4x4. Not loaded but not stripped either. Cockpit of the 2019s is much nicer than the previous years.

Not doing a conversion. Cot. Arb fridge. Done.

Can't wait for it to show up.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    No issues in four years and 70k of use, still makes me smile when I walk out to it in the mornings.

I waited a few years for this van to come to the states.

Hands down best van Iíve ever owned.

Love Fiat and love what theyíve done/doing for Chrysler.

Take the test: drive each of the big euro styled vans, back to back, then pick the one that rides and handles best. Itís a no brainer, the Promaster is the boss.

It is sad the diesel motor is reportedly being cut, but it may just be a one year thing while they switch over to the eco diesel used in the trucks.

Iíll drive mine for 200k, then see whatís new.
    It could ride like a Cadillac and handle like a Porsche, but a new one would still have that POS 3.6L engine. They put that engine in just about everything they make, and it blows up in every application. Cylinder head problems, rear main seal problems, oil pan seal problems, oil cooler leaks, sludge build up in the cooling system, misfires, rocker arms, cam followers, the list goes on and on. On top of that, Fiat electronics fail at an alarming rate, so even if you miraculously get a solid 3.6L, your engine controller, fuse box, CAN bus and everything else are ticking time bombs. And then try to get a Fiat dealer to support you. LMAO. They push back on *everything* until you rub their noses in it.

My Chevy pickups go over 200K without major issues. My 4Runners hit 300K without major issues. Wake me up when a Fiat van can go even 150K without causing a ton of grief. I learned my lesson with my Jeep Wranglemon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am sorry you feel like life has given you such a sour turn, but my experiences are very different from yours.

My posting is to provide information to those who can appreciate it, not to argue with a negative nancy.

From my expereince, the Promaster has many positive attributes that make it a wise choice for an RV chassis or stand alone van including lowest price to purchase, front wheel drive, lowest load height, and widest body.

I have had nothing but positive experiences with my Promaster as I previously mentioned. I can say the same about all Chrysler products I have owned including my wife's current vehicle, a 2012 Jeep Wrangler, which also brings a smile to her face every time she drives it.

Let's try to focus on the positives and leave the negatives at home, ie if ya got nothin' good to say, then don't say nothin' at all

It could ride like a Cadillac and handle like a Porsche, but a new one would still have that POS 3.6L engine. They put that engine in just about everything they make, and it blows up in every application. Cylinder head problems, rear main seal problems, oil pan seal problems, oil cooler leaks, sludge build up in the cooling system, misfires, rocker arms, cam followers, the list goes on and on. On top of that, Fiat electronics fail at an alarming rate, so even if you miraculously get a solid 3.6L, your engine controller, fuse box, CAN bus and everything else are ticking time bombs. And then try to get a Fiat dealer to support you. LMAO. They push back on *everything* until you rub their noses in it.

My Chevy pickups go over 200K without major issues. My 4Runners hit 300K without major issues. Wake me up when a Fiat van can go even 150K without causing a ton of grief. I learned my lesson with my Jeep Wranglemon.
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

Magically Delicious
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am sorry you feel like life has given you such a sour turn, but my experiences are very different from yours.

My posting is to provide information to those who can appreciate it, not to argue with a negative nancy.

From my expereince, the Promaster has many positive attributes that make it a wise choice for an RV chassis or stand alone van including lowest price to purchase, front wheel drive, lowest load height, and widest body.

I have had nothing but positive experiences with my Promaster as I previously mentioned. I can say the same about all Chrysler products I have owned including my wife's current vehicle, a 2012 Jeep Wrangler, which also brings a smile to her face every time she drives it.

Let's try to focus on the positives and leave the negatives at home, ie if ya got nothin' good to say, then don't say nothin' at all
    I just think your experience with FCA products is not typical. Couple that with the Uber fan boy posts and those that have had dissimilar experiences find it a bit much

Magically Delicious
    Spring is just around the corner and I'm probing to what others have in the works for their RV or camping vehicles this travel season.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

I've had similar positive experiences with the Promaster, FWIW.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Spring is just around the corner and I'm probing to what others have in the works for their RV or camping vehicles this travel season.
    Wsup C2L,
    We've spent the last 8 months or so researching RV's ( and pickup trucks/ my Element has 300k+ on it !) after much consideration we've decide on a Stryker 2613 Toy Hauler. Ive never been a fan of / or been able to fit in those rv dinettes that are built for humans 4' tall and under so the toy hauler is a great option. It has a huge garage area for bikes / surf boards / etc, ( designed for Harleys / ATV's etc ) . The wife required a full bath / king size bed and a decent kitchen and this has it, ( I dont mind those things either now that I'm in my 50's !) At 31' and 7.7k#'s empty it still gets me in most State / Federal parks, and Ive upgraded the batteries/ charger for optimal boondocking, ( came with a 4k generator and I'll be getting solar I'm sure at some point).
    We have lots of Mountain bike camping excursions and surf trips planned ! Ill add a pic later!

Magically Delicious
    ^^^^ I have seen a few do some cool mods in the garage of toy haulers. You got any plans to customize?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    ^^^^ I have seen a few do some cool mods in the garage of toy haulers. You got any plans to customize?
    Ive already removed one side of the Happijack to make room for three SUPs/two bikes/ kitchen table. this way I can have the other couch/seat down while all that stuff is in the garage, table can be open also. I'm considering drilling extra holes to have more height options for the upper queen bed. That happijack is a unique contraption that takes getting used too! Also made a wooden "rack" to hold all that stuff secure while riding down the road.
    Considering a mod to the window/door screen that came stock that is used while the garage door is in deck mode, we'll see how it works first.
    I said earlier , I added some upgrades to the electric system , Progressive Industries hard wired EMS, PD Wildkat upgrade converter/charger, Victron BMV 712 battery monitor, and two Fullriver 6v 220ah AGM batteries w RVLockbox. solar to come later prolly.
    The wife has loaded the kitchen/bath/bedroom with cool stuff.
    I was obsessing over wheel chocks for a while ...got that handled, lol !! Those plastic ones from the RV shops are garbage, I have to park it on a 3% grade in my drive....wasnt messing around. Got some really nice heavy duty chocks online.
    As with rvs in general, Ive fixed a ton of stuff that was put together half-assed from factory.
    What mods / ideas have you seen?!!!

Magically Delicious
    I have seen some complete toy hauler garages with bike stands, full tool boxes, spray wash, power & lights.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have seen some complete toy hauler garages with bike stands, full tool boxes, spray wash, power & lights.
    Google searching that now ! Thinking of using these to build a bike rack when travleing, https://www.amazon.com/Kuat-Dirtbag-...KRDBKQQGGKBF9J

mtbr member
    FYI, 2020 Transits will have an AWD option along with 10 speed transmission and perhaps the Gen 2 Ecoboost
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    FYI, 2020 Transits will have an AWD option along with 10 speed transmission and perhaps the Gen 2 Ecoboost
    Why do people think the Quigley Transit is more HD than the Sprinter 4x4?

More power for sure but I don't see the HD aspect

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    Why do people think the Quigley Transit is more HD than the Sprinter 4x4?

More power for sure but I don't see the HD aspect

Quigley basically puts the F150 4x4 drivetrain under the Transit. F150s can tow over 12,000lb, and the axles, transmission, driveshafts, and transfer case have to be able to handle the torque of the 3.5TT while pulling 18,400 lb (GCWR - Gross combined weight rating). The Quigley Transit GCWR is not rated that high, apparently either due to towing dynamics or some kind of frame flex, but the drivetrain can handle it.

The 2019 Sprinter has a max GCWR of 15,000lb, but that is the 3500 version with dual rear wheels. I'm sure it rides like a buckboard. The 2500 version is 13,550, still impressive.

I think if the new Sprinter AWD/4x4 proves itself for a few years, it will gain a great reputation.

I don't know much about the 2020 Transit AWD system, but I am sorely disappointed there is no low range available. That alone would tip me to either a Quigley Conversion or a Sprinter. I live on a very steep dirt road, and I back my F150 into its parking spot in 4-low every single day.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quigley basically puts the F150 4x4 drivetrain under the Transit. F150s can tow over 12,000lb, and the axles, transmission, driveshafts, and transfer case have to be able to handle the torque of the 3.5TT while pulling 18,400 lb (GCWR - Gross combined weight rating). The Quigley Transit GCWR is not rated that high, apparently either due to towing dynamics or some kind of frame flex, but the drivetrain can handle it.

The 2019 Sprinter has a max GCWR of 15,000lb, but that is the 3500 version with dual rear wheels. I'm sure it rides like a buckboard. The 2500 version is 13,550, still impressive.

I think if the new Sprinter AWD/4x4 proves itself for a few years, it will gain a great reputation.

I don't know much about the 2020 Transit AWD system, but I am sorely disappointed there is no low range available. That alone would tip me to either a Quigley Conversion or a Sprinter. I live on a very steep dirt road, and I back my F150 into its parking spot in 4-low every single day.
    Thanks for the info.

Other than a new transmission I don't think the Sprinter 4x4 drivetrain is any difference

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yup, looks interesting, better price point than Sprinter, no diesel option with AWD, nor is is it designed for rock crawling (no hi/lo), but for a daily driver itíd be a nice option. Itíll also be less expensive to fix and better dealer access.

My biggest issue with these big vans is fuel mileage. I get 22-24 all day long in my Promaster, and though itís not AWD, the front wheel drive is very capable in slippery conditions. Having had a rear wheel drive Sprinter, Iíd never ever get another van without FWD or AWD ... but itís gotta get at least 20 mpg.

I have the shortest euro van now, a Promaster 118, set up with a convertible dinette/bed. Itís a great daily driver and works fine for trips, but Iíd like to have s little more height and length. My plan was to get a Promaster 136 high, put a sleep platform on height adjustable riders, leave the bed installed full time and adjust height to my needs. Pressed into the ceiling Iíd still have decent height underneath and with bikes underneath I could still sleep on the bed; like s bunk bed, way up high

If the AWD transit gets decent mpg without diesel, thatíd reduce fuss, reduce fuel cost, and Iíd get added traction for moderate iff road and slippery conditions. No added deck height with the AWD is nice, though I still want a larger wheel diameter for clearance. Hopefully they plan out the wheel wells for larger tires.

Iíll have over 100k on my Promaster by the time the AWD Transits are out and about, gonna see how year one goes before buying, but itís a nice option for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

Magically Delicious
    I have the shortest euro van now, a Promaster 118, set up with a convertible dinette/bed. My plan was to get a Promaster 136 high, put a sleep platform on height adjustable riders, leave the bed installed full time and adjust height to my needs. Pressed into the ceiling Iíd still have decent height underneath and with bikes underneath I could still sleep on the bed; like s bunk bed, way up high
    How about posting some photos of your setup? I have heard of another that did a similar bed lift, but commented that they never had the need to lift it up, it always remained in a fixed position.

Iíd get added traction for moderate iff road and slippery conditions. No added deck height with the AWD is nice, though I still want a larger wheel diameter for clearance. Hopefully they plan out the wheel wells for larger tires.

Added traction? Tires? Traction mats?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If I get a minute Iíll post pics, you can probably find my build details on the Promaster forum. I have a folding dinette now, the bed lift would be for a high roof van.

Since my van is a daily driver and I haul construction materials, bikes, dogs, etc... on a daily basis, my bed would be up unless we were sleeping on it. Iíd probably have a fold down gaucho bed for the wife to nap, though she seems to do pretty well with the swivel seat and reclining.

I have such a compact little van now, itíd be hard to go to a bigger van for daily use.

How about posting some photos of your setup? I have heard of another that did a similar bed lift, but commented that they never had the need to lift it up, it always remained in a fixed position.

Added traction? Tires? Traction mats?
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

Magically Delicious
    Having a daily driver can place a crimp on those dream builds.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123