Flat Pedals.... Any old guys riding them? - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    May 2020
    I hadn’t ridden a MTB with flat pedals till recently.
    After tearing one hamstring tendon off, requiring surgical repair, my surgeon banned me from clip ins for 3 months. (Since expired)
    Sick of stupid crashes, I paid for a coach. (Turned out to be an unbelievably good coach. Literally- I can’t believe how good he is!)
    The coach recommended I continue on the flats (DMR V10s/5ten freerider pros)to learn the correct technique.
    So far, so good, but at this stage I’ll be going back to my favorite Crank Bros ”Eggbeaters” (I know not many people like them. I love them. Never release unexpectedly. Always release when required. But not automatically when going over the bars - ask me how I know.....)

I’m actually enjoying many things about the flats. But, I don’t like it when my feet aren’t in the “perfect” position. Quite distracting with my OCD.

I put my carbon soled Sidi shoes on to ride a hard tail around the cycle way recently.
    (The flats are on my “Enduro” bike.)
    Horrible, hard things after getting used to the 5ten “slippers”

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I hit the 50-mark this past April. I guess I can officially check out this section. lol

I've forever been on flats since my BMX days some 35+yrs ago. I see too many videos of guys going OTB or crashing with their bikes attached to them and that scares me. I do see the benefit of being attached to your bike but I like the option of being able to ditch the bike if heading into a crash.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    I hit the 50-mark this past April. I guess I can officially check out this section. lol

I've forever been on flats since my BMX days some 35+yrs ago. I see too many videos of guys going OTB or crashing with their bikes attached to them and that scares me. I do see the benefit of being attached to your bike but I like the option of being able to ditch the bike if heading into a crash.
    I jumped off my motorcyle years ago.
    Bike totalled.
    Me a few scratches.
    Ya i use flats with 5,10

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    I jumped off my motorcyle years ago.
    Bike totalled.
    Me a few scratches.
    Ya i use flats with 5,10
    Yeah. I got hit last year by a lady driving a 4wd ute/pickup down the wrong side of the road (corner cutting to the extreme) I ended up flying up in the air, over the bonnet, and landing in an untidy heap on the road. Broken hip and wrecked knee. The bike ended up wedged under the ute/pickup further down the road. If I was still attached to the bike, who knows if I'd be typing this now? That's only one instance of many various ones, where being able to bail has saved more serious injury.
    I'm not against clipless, at all. They have their place for sure. Road bikes, groomed trails etc.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Flat V Clips - “Safety”

I had the front wheel slide unexpectedly. My foot was unclipped and onto the ground before I knew it. I was slightly amazed how “automatic” and fast it happened.
    Conversely.
    My surgeon assures me, that one foot still being clipped in while cartwheeling was the reason for surgery being required.

It’s entirely possible that a foot slipping off could cause a crash. (More “floating” off - not much “slippage” on good flats!)

Most of us have lost at least a little blood from our legs from the studs on flats.

It is very much a personal preference rather than one being “better”.

I’m enjoying riding the flats, but at this stage intend returning to the clip ins, eventually.

“All Mountain” riding, currently on a new Giant Reign.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygz View Post
    Yeah. I got hit last year by a lady driving a 4wd ute/pickup down the wrong side of the road (corner cutting to the extreme) I ended up flying up in the air, over the bonnet, and landing in an untidy heap on the road. Broken hip and wrecked knee. The bike ended up wedged under the ute/pickup further down the road. If I was still attached to the bike, who knows if I'd be typing this now? That's only one instance of many various ones, where being able to bail has saved more serious injury.
    I'm not against clipless, at all. They have their place for sure. Road bikes, groomed trails etc.

I've been involved in more wrecks than I care to remember while clipped in and have never once found myself still attached to the bike after I came to my senses. You do somehow become unclipped.

Flats are great btw, lot's of advantages.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Well, this thread has reached a conclusion:
    Flat Pedals.... Any old guys riding them?-5bef172d-dbc7-4d47-902c-8533d17689c1.jpeg
    everyone has their own

I’m digging my Catalyst pedals. I may buy a set for my son’s bike too. Pricey but I really like them.

Old enough to remember ..
    25 years ago for my 50th I got a hand me down Bianchi from my son, he's one of those hardcore guys. Anyway it came with half toe clips, very handy stuff with flat pedals.
    20 years ago, after moving to the Okanagan, one of the neighbours saw me riding the MTB and invited me along for a ride to get the lay of the land in our Park.
    The one track we took is called "Cow Plunge"; he was ahead, I followed . He stopped and commented that I was doing OK. Which was when I hit something and ended up talking out of the shrubs. No problem, the bike went the other way.
    But I had the last laugh, getting down to the pasture he was in a big hurry to get across the fence. Turns out he's really afraid of cattle.

After that we had to sing while riding through "Bear Valley".

PS new half toe clips arriving tomorrow, I sure missed them on the new MTB.
    Cheers

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream BC Canada

mtbr member
    I’m not sure if I answered yet, but I’ll give my opinion again just in case, because—well, it’s the internet and everyone wants to know what I think.

I’m more afraid of my feet slipping off the pedals than I am of my feet being stuck to the pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I've been involved in more wrecks than I care to remember while clipped in and have never once found myself still attached to the bike after I came to my senses. You do somehow become unclipped.
    That's not been my experience.

I'll take shin strikes all day everyday over munted shoulders, bruised thighs, broken glasses, tweaked wrists, you name it, all from the bike taking me down with it. Often from a standstill after an unexpected stall in steep terrain.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by celswick View Post
    I’m not sure if I answered yet, but I’ll give my opinion again just in case, because—well, it’s the internet and everyone wants to know what I think.

I’m more afraid of my feet slipping off the pedals than I am of my feet being stuck to the pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And I'm the exact opposite. To me, clipless on MTB's makes as much sense as seatbelts on motorcycles

Snow Dog
    And I'm the exact opposite. To me, clipless on MTB's makes as much sense as seatbelts on motorcycles
    never thought of it that way....
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

Woods Ready
    Just put flats on my new bike after riding clipless since I was in my 20s.
    Rock gardens and jumps are going to take some serious practice. My first jump on flats looked like some kind of slope style trick gone wrong.

Rippin da fAt
    What about the bench seat??

Quote Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
    Just put flats on my new bike after riding clipless since I was in my 20s.
    Rock gardens and jumps are going to take some serious practice. My first jump on flats looked like some kind of slope style trick gone wrong.
    Gotta get the hang of em. It takes a little time to get it right but totally worth the effort.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    What about the bench seat??
    Yep, flats on an MTB are like a bench seat in a gymkhana car.

A bench seat with spikes to hold you in place

Trying flats again on my single speed, they're not going anywhere near the Anthem.

I am Walt

Flat Pedals.... Any old guys riding them?

I’m 55 (stb 56), and have been clipless on my bikes, including a majority of SS miles, for the past 18 years. Tried flats (actually, one side flat; other side SPD) for the first time a couple weeks ago, on my Ripmo. Hated them.

Yes, I understand that you “need to ride them for a couple weeks to get used to them”, but F that. I sort of figured out how to keep my feet on the pedals on some downs, but the moment I went to hammer up a climb, it was an utter fail, as my feet came off and went every which way.

I greatly prefer being clipped in for pedaling efficiency and being able to move and position the bike underneath me (love the analogy of bench seats in a sports car...perfect!). I can unclip quickly without a thought, so that’s not an issue.

YMMV...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    My only problem so far with flats is keeping my left foot on the pedal. That’s my (super) weak leg. It randomly comes off the pedal. Climbing, descending, straight and level. I constantly focus on heavy feet. Just don’t have the strength/coordination to keep my foot planted yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Trying flats again on my single speed, they're not going anywhere near the Anthem.
    I would have thought it was the other way around.

On the SS the very nature of both the high-cadence top end, and the low cadence high-torque demands where you could pull on the up-stroke would be very beneficial. Pulling up on the up-stroke is not normally any advantage, except during short-duration extreme efforts such as launching your finish line sprint.

The Anthem has gears so your cadence should be less extreme. And bouncy bits, both ends, so less chance of feet being dislodged. But more chance of you being dislodged, if you take it more technical places than the SS.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemoto885 View Post
    I would have thought it was the other way around.

On the SS the very nature of both the high-cadence top end, and the low cadence high-torque demands where you could pull on the up-stroke would be very beneficial. Pulling up on the up-stroke is not normally any advantage, except during short-duration extreme efforts such as launching your finish line sprint.

The Anthem has gears so your cadence should be less extreme. And bouncy bits, both ends, so less chance of feet being dislodged. But more chance of you being dislodged, if you take it more technical places than the SS.
    The rigid single speed is the fun bike and the Anthem is the XC race bike.
    I'll try flats, but my XT Trail clipless pedals will be going back on no matter what happens

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    The rigid single speed is the fun bike and the Anthem is the XC race bike.
    I'll try flats, but my XT Trail clipless pedals will be going back on no matter what happens
    Why bother? You've already made up your mind, so what's the point?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Why bother? You've already made up your mind, so what's the point?
    I don't know anyone who races with flats.
    But for a cruise in the hills on a sunny day, or a technique session, flats may have an advantage.

Only one way to find out.

There's a difference between a made up, and a closed mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by celswick View Post
    LOL
    I may use this statement for every post entry from now on. It is the internet and everyone wants to know what I think, in fact they can't wait.
    They are scrolling around right now just to find my latest opinion.

mtbr member
    A bit late to the show but I'm going to ask for a pair of Raceface Chester flats for my 71st birthday coming up in a few weeks. My son has them on is SC Heckler (not the electric version) and I like riding them.

My shoes, for the moment, will be a pair of Converse All Stars I have in the closet. They seem to work quite well and its hard to beat the "cool" factor of the All Stars.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    A bit late to the show but I'm going to ask for a pair of Raceface Chester flats for my 71st birthday coming up in a few weeks. My son has them on is SC Heckler (not the electric version) and I like riding them.

My shoes, for the moment, will be a pair of Converse All Stars I have in the closet. They seem to work quite well and its hard to beat the "cool" factor of the All Stars.
    Post of the thread!

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Since half the time i'm on my bike i'm cruising around with my 3 and 5 year olds i put flats on my Switchblade. At first it felt very strange especially going off jumps and charging down rock gardens. I pushed through those feelings though and that has forced me to improve my technical skills. Now i am super comfortable on flats. By no means have i given up on clipless though. I can see myself going back one day.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flat Pedals.... Any old guys riding them?-flats.jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123