The 50+ Forum Rundown- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trail Cubist

The 50+ Forum Rundown

Hey old-timers! This forum began a few weeks ago with a suggestion (by me) to create a forum for people at and beyond the half-century mark.

In a classic example of "Be careful what you ask for..." the MTBR Powers said "Good idea—will you be the mod?" But hey, it was my idea, so I figured it's the least I can do.

Some folks in that thread linked above thought "Oh geez, ANOTHER forum?" I get that. But life's different over 50. We're a little slower, hopefully a bit wiser, and take longer to recover. And with the way national demographics are heading, there'll be a lot more of us over-50 riders in the coming decade.

Part of my job is to keep things interesting. Which means, hopefully, we'll avoid this being the "Get off my lawn!" forum full of aches and pains and complaints, LOL. So some ideas for threads might include...

• 50+ physiology
    • How do you keep going?
    • Post-ride, post-workout recovery tips
    • What doesn't matter anymore (and used to)
    • What matters (and didn't used to)
    • Riding with other older riders...versus young whippersnappers
    • Inspiration! (Old folks doing great things.)
    • Thoughts on getting old in mountain biking (or "Danny MacAskill's gonna get old someday...")
    • Gearing for older riders (any different?)

NOTE: While the assumption is that most here will be 50+, we aren't banning younger riders. Feel free to post up if you're younger...just remember your audience, and try to keep it in the 50+ ballpark.

Thanks!
    Scott (SWriverstone)
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

Bikesexual
    This idea maybe redundant? but how about a thread for "Starting @ 50+" Sort of a beginners corner for our age group? Just a thought. Thanks for listening/reading
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Holy cow...Guess I'm here!!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

mtbr member
    Great idea. There's so little info for older riders and it's hard to find.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57Ί36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Hi I qualify as a old timer in body but not mind

Ride when ever I can all year round 59 yr of age but still putting the miles in. Warm up most mornings is taking my 3 yr old to preschool on foot.

(154 Viewing)

This sub forum is gaining traction, many thanks SWriverstone and FC.

mtbr member
    To SWriverstone, fc and others who started this great forum:

I'm 48 and having been riding for the past 8 years. Each year I love it more and more.
    For me it's very much a way of life. I build up my own bikes and do all my own maintenance.
    I don't ski, golf, or play tennis. I just mountain bike. As much as possible. Year round. Outside for as many months as possible then head inside (in Toronto we're lucky enough to have a Ray's like bike park, Joyride 150).
    At 48 I'm in the best shape of my life. I can tackle more aggressive and technical and challenging terrain better than I ever could. No one says I look anywhere near my age. I attribute it all to mountain biking.
    Bottom line is I can't imagine not having mountain biking in my life and this forum and the people on it give me great hope I have years and years ahead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Ok, I just turned 50 on the 11th of August. I don't feel that old. Early 30's maybe. There are days every so often that I am moving slow.
    I do most of my riding on the road with my Ridley. I do have a mountain bike. It is a Fuji Sunfire. yeah it's a relatively cheap bike but it works. I have a ride planned fairly soon. I have wanted to do it for a while and I am thinking it is coming time to make it happen. I have a friend that is interesting in doing it with me. Maybe my kids too.
    I will be poking around here some since my wife and kids like to remind me that I am able to be accepted by AARP. (just doesn't sound right to me. I can't possibly be this old.)

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I'd like to publicly thank SWriverstone for suggesting this forum and getting it launched properly.

It's an idea who's time has come. This one is for the ages. To infinity and beyond. Nyuk-nyuk, nyuk.

Great forum so let's keep it going.
    IPA will save America

middle ring single track
    Great times to be alive; 100 years ago US males only lasted until 52.5 on average.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Excellent idea. Sixteen years past 50 here (that's 66). Still getting out on a bike around 100 days a year.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone View Post
    Hey old-timers! ...
    You talkin' to me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDM26fy9z_M

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Whew, I am 58 and getting back into riding for exercise and fun. Want to build a mtb, hard tail, 29", 1x11 or 1xwhatever. Most riding will be along the cement canal and maybe some trails. Dont want a road bike. time to go and read more and find the info I need.

Basically want a real good entry level bike that can be upgraded when needed.

chuck

mtbr member
    I'm glad to see this forum to share with others "past 50". I am 59, been riding regularly for about 3 years. I am hooked.

I was riding Walnut Creek, near Charlottesville on Friday, taking it easy from an "over the handle bar" incident. I met one other rider, who was 71. He was awesome!

I have just ordered my first clipless pedals, so here's hoping I am still standing in a few weeks
    VaDon

#muddy bike #tired legs #happy heart

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

Rethink the road bike

Quote Originally Posted by sauer1911 View Post
    Whew, I am 58 and getting back into riding for exercise and fun. Want to build a mtb, hard tail, 29", 1x11 or 1xwhatever. Most riding will be along the cement canal and maybe some trails. Dont want a road bike. time to go and read more and find the info I need.

chuck
    Here's a link to my modified road bike. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2&l=e31fe911a7
    It's a Trek 1000 with a suspension fork. You'll have to add V-brakes to make this work. Just drill a hole right through the suspension fork bridge and run the cable right to that hole. It'll work just fine. You'll notice I also turned the handle bars around so I can ride upright. But there's also a century bar in case you want to lean over to go faster or are riding into a stiff wind. A comfortable seat is very important. Mine is an air seat with a nice groove down the middle. I don't ride clipped in. I just have regular flat pedals with traction pins so I can always get a foot down or dismount. I've even got a kickstand in back. Seat height is very important. Too low and you shred your thighs. Too high and your leg will feel like it has been bent back right at your knee. Instead of skinny tires I run size 28mm. Good wheels are well worth it. I put on the entry level Mavic Ksyrium road equip. A suspension seat post is also very nice. Marin used to make a city bike (Kentfield FS) that had a suspension fork on it that even had manual lockout. I've ridden my Trek out to the trail head, then ridden the main trail (not the single track) and then ridden back home. It's about 15 miles one way, the main trail is 3 miles and then 15 miles back home. Trying to do that on any fat tire bike would not be fun at all. Another bike that is popular are the gravel grinders. Those are road bikes for riding in off road races. Anyway, since you're not looking to do cross country trail riding with log jumps etc. then I'd rethink modifying a regular road bike as I have done. If I could only keep one bike it would be my modified road bike. Once I put on the suspension fork it became my favorite bike because it was fast, comfortable and I could ride it safely on gravel and even on a nice trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    after exhaustive research and taking to way too many people, I realize that the research was good, the opinions of others not so much.

I like the idea of the century bars (the ones in the middle,?) the padded seat looks great!

My current choices are either a '13 giant Revel 1 used ($350), new trek xcal6-8, or what I see at the LBS tomorrow.

btw, never wanted a road bike, want a hardtail with 27.5-29's front shox etc.

THanks for the information!
    chuck

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    The timing of this forum is perfect. I've been off the bike for a few years because of medical and time issues. Getting back on is hard, but this forum is all the motivation I need to pushaway the excuses and just start pedaling at what ever physical and time level the day has in store. Thank you.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sauer1911 View Post

chuck
    UPDATE! ! ! !

I bought a Trek Xcaliber 7 in light blue. Got a few essentials with it, extra tube, co2 tube kit, wrenches, small bag for under seat storage, bottle rack.

I believe this should have all that I need in components quality.

I pick it up Saturday!

Oh I know I just started buying shtuff. More will come.

Chuck
    Last edited by sauer1911; 09-05-2015 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

Nice Dedicated Trail Bike

[QUOTE=sauer1911;12175219]UPDATE! ! ! !

I bought a Trek Xcaliber 8 in light blue. Got a few essentials with it, extra tube, co2 tube kit, wrenches, small bag for under seat storage, bottle rack.

I believe this should have all that I need in components quality.

I pick it up Saturday!

Oh I know I just started buying shtuff. More will come.

I checked the Xcal 8 on the Trek web site. You got yourself a dedicated trail bike. The hydraulic disc brakes are essential if you want to ride in snow as long as the snow is only a few inches deep. Get some tires with the metal studs and you can ride on glare ice with them. The Trek site said the most popular bike category is fitness when people ask what kind of bike should I get. You get road bike speed with city bike comfort. No one bike does it all. The 7.0 FX is only $379.99. It has a triple crank 48/38/28 and 7 speed cassette 14-34. It comes with 700 x 35c. You could've easily put a suspension fork on that and just used the existing wheels and some trail tires for trail riding. Then at least you'd have the option of getting good road wheels if you ever wanted to do a long ride on paved trails. I checked and the Mavic Ksyrium road equip are $550. On my last organized ride about 3 weeks ago I went 79 miles (6 hrs and 31 minutes) with an average speed of 12.14 MPH and a max speed of 31.71 MPH. That max speed was just coasting down an average grade hill. That's how good those bearings are. I only work out twice a week. I do 45 minutes on a stationary bike after 15 pushups, 30 arm curls using 17 pound dumb bells and 60 squat jumps. That's it. So I'm not in great bike riding shape. But I can make the distance just pacing myself. That's what a difference good wheels make. I wouldn't ride any bike without suspension. So I totally understand why you didn't want a road bike and why you were looking for a suspension fork. Unless riding is fun and you're comfortable then you won't continue to ride. Going far is fun and going fast is fun. Good wheels make that possible. Upon further reflection the 7.0 FX is what I would've recommended to you as I think this bike would've been able to do any riding you would ever do. I have a nice trail bike but I'm doing less trail riding. There are more and more nice paved bike trails (the rails to trails). Well at least you've got yourself a nice dedicated trail bike. A hydration pack is also nice to have. Hydrate or die is what they say.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    No snow in Southern California. We barely have water! 95% riding on hard pack/cement path trails. If it gets too cold I'll stay home ! 😛

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm 71 and looking at some Trek hard tails. Am I too old to start riding a mtb? Always have ridden road, forever. I'm thinking broken bones and the like. I tend to take risks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

Better late than never

Quote Originally Posted by Daviel View Post
    I'm 71 and looking at some Trek hard tails. Am I too old to start riding a mtb? Always have ridden road, forever. I'm thinking broken bones and the like. I tend to take risks.
    I had a subscription to Bicycling and Mountain Bike for over 2 years and finally decided to take the plunge and bought my XC bike on 10-13-2003. It was an end of season sale. The Local Bike Shop owner didn't know that it had just been named Bike of the Year. My first adult bike was one of those self shifting models. It just didn't shift when I needed it to but it got me interested in biking again. That was after I just couldn't roller blade any more because that was messing up the middle of my back. Something about the twisting that happens when you're flying down the paved bicycle trail and look like Hans Brinker and the Golden Skates. So I donated the self shifter and got a folder bike I saw in Playboy of all places. I still have that bike. I had a suspension fork put on it and better gearing but the head angle is very upright and so it's easy to go end over end on it. I've done it twice on that bicycle. I did a 50 mile charity road ride on that fat tire bicycle and a week later on 9-13-2003 bought a road bicycle. If you're gonna do a road ride you need a road bicycle as you well know. I really wanted a fat bike back in 2003 and the only guy making a fat bike back then was Hanebrink. His homemade model had wheel barrow size tires and was very expensive. So I figured I might as well get the very good XC bike if I was gonna spend that much money. I eventually put a suspension fork on my road bike. I have a link to it on an earlier post to it in this thread. The bikes are just getting better and better all the time. It's nice to mix it up and not just do one kind of riding all of the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Is there going to be someone checking ID's at the door? Quickly approaching 46 so may need one of you to sneak me in!
    Just purchased a 2015 Santa Cruz Chameleon and getting back on the bike after about 15 years off. Just hit my yearly health insurance deductible so seemed to be the right time to get back on the saddle! I also got into longboarding earlier this year which I believed sparked the idea of continuing to stay in shape in more enjoyable ways outside the four walls.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Well after 2 very small rides, total of 6 miles, I know EXACTLY where my Sit bones are. ugh, gonna be a smooth, slow ramp up to going faster and longer.

But! Never give up, Never surrender!

Chuck

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Great forum, thanks for getting it up and running. I'm zeroing in on 53 but feel much younger, especially when on my bike! Can't wait to jump in on some of the discussions and share experiences.

Dusting Trails
    I'll be 64 in November and I'm married to a women that turned 50 this year. I'm retired and I ride Mt Tam three days a week with other retires and ride on the weekends with my wife and son. I average 50 plus miles a week and ride all year round. I'm lucky my health is still good - but I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs - so that helps. Here is a shot on my ride up Mt Tam last summer.

The 50+ Forum Rundown-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Brilliant

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I really like my new bike. i changed out the knobby tires for some smoother, yet still good for dirt and mtn trails. Still adjusting seat, handlebars, etc. Getting use to riding and going out for rides. Just need to relax and enjoy the ride instead of trying to go, go, go! I like it a lot.

chuck

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

I'm 51

The 50+ Forum Rundown-jjpybusgq9im0tvmbwsu3mr5-5nseyuoszkjb8ixxfw-576x768.jpg

I'm 51 and love to hit the trails with my single speed fat bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Where are the downhillers at?

So I run into this 50+ forum the day after the Whistler downhill bikepark closes. Oh well, if any of you whippersnappers want to come and try it out next year let me know. Being a instructor/guide in the park I can show you some excellent lines.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler DH rider View Post
    So I run into this 50+ forum the day after the Whistler downhill bikepark closes. Oh well, if any of you whippersnappers want to come and try it out next year let me know. Being a instructor/guide in the park I can show you some excellent lines.
    Timing ... I'm 51, live in Vancouver and have spent a lot of effort over the last 2 years trying to talk friends into signing up for one of those 4 days rental/ticket/guide packages at the Whistler bike park. I figured if it was 4 old newbieish downhillers, the guide would be able to arrange things with the highest probability of ending the days injury free. But I cannot convince anyone I know to give it a try.

The number of people I've spoken with who have 'given up' mountain biking after a crash/injury (usually on the North Shore) has been shockingly high. But then I see the video of the guy who put in 1,000,000 vertical feet with barely a crash, and I figure there has got to be a way to do this without taking on outsized risk - Video: One Million Down - Pinkbike

Maybe with this forum, I'll have success finding some 50+'ers for a park week next year. I'll keep you in mind!!!

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    63,going to be 64 in April been mountain biking since 1976.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    Timing ... I'm 51, live in Vancouver and have spent a lot of effort over the last 2 years trying to talk friends into signing up for one of those 4 days rental/ticket/guide packages at the Whistler bike park. I figured if it was 4 old newbieish downhillers, the guide would be able to arrange things with the highest probability of ending the days injury free. But I cannot convince anyone I know to give it a try.

The number of people I've spoken with who have 'given up' mountain biking after a crash/injury (usually on the North Shore) has been shockingly high. But then I see the video of the guy who put in 1,000,000 vertical feet with barely a crash, and I figure there has got to be a way to do this without taking on outsized risk - Video: One Million Down - Pinkbike

Maybe with this forum, I'll have success finding some 50+'ers for a park week next year. I'll keep you in mind!!!
    Bring it on I'd say. I've already had my big crash so I know what to avoid..
    Tell your friends, there is nothing like having a lift bring you uphill so all that's left is gravity to get you back down. We'll start with some mellow green trails and then go look at something more challenging when the time is right.

EMBA Member
    Love the idea. Started biking a month before my 59th birthday. Course that goes along with new beginnings; started a new career a month before my 58th birthday. Life is so good just Rock On!
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race" H.G. Wells

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I turned 54 yesterday and I don't feel a day over 84.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Dusting Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Happy Birthday DJ!

I'm going to hit 64 next month on the 8th - and I still feel like I'm 39.

Quote Originally Posted by matuchi View Post
    Happy Birthday DJ!

I'm going to hit 64 next month on the 8th - and I still feel like I'm 39.
    Thank you! And I'll keep an eye out for your birthday shout out next month.

Good to hear your still feeling chipper.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Thank you! And I'll keep an eye out for your birthday shout out next month.

Good to hear your still feeling chipper.
    DJ, even though we don't like each other I'm taking the high road and wishing you a happy belated birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzle View Post
    DJ, even though we don't like each other I'm taking the high road and wishing you a happy belated birthday.
    We don't?
    That's new's to me. I've actually got quite a fondness and high respect for you. I don't know where you came up with that and I'm pretty hurt that you said that actually.

Thanks for the birthday wish.

9 lives
    Happy (belated) Birthday DJ
    It gets better
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    It gets better
    Thanks Judy, and I'm not sure how you know that, you being just a puppy and all.

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    It gets better
    That's true, it's all downhill after that...
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    That's true, it's all downhill after that...
    And you know how I like the downhills.

mtbr member
    We don't?
    That's new's to me. I've actually got quite a fondness and high respect for you. I don't know where you came up with that and I'm pretty hurt that you said that actually.

Thanks for the birthday wish.
    I very fond of you too DJ. You're one badass 53 year old...OX

Dusting Trails
    And you know how I like the downhills.
    Except this is a downhill with no brakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzle View Post
    I very fond of you too DJ. You're one badass 53 year old...OX
    Did you skim my birthday ^^ up there? I just turned 54.

Thanks for the compliment though.

Quote Originally Posted by matuchi View Post
    Except this is a downhill with no brakes!
    Thanks for the reminder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    57 and still putting in the miles when I can find time. Last fall I had a wicked get-off on a downhill singletrack, and it took me a bit to recover from that one.

Overall, I really believe that riding has kept me in good health over the years (other than the trips to the ER after crashes), and although I take less risks doing crazy stuff, I plan on riding as long as my health permits... .

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just joined the 50 club today. Celebrating with a long ride and good dinner tonight.

Don't worry, be happy!
    How many of these threads are there?
    • 50+ physiology - I work out a lot... it doesn't work to ride to get into shape, gotta work hard for it. Ask me about women's issues lol.
    • How do you keep going? I pedal.
    • Post-ride, post-workout recovery tips. I pay a lot of attention to quality food, electolyes, recovery eating
    • What matters (and didn't used to) I really don't give a sh*t if I can or can't keep up or not.
    • Riding with other older riders...versus young whippersnappers Most of my riding pals are younger than me.
    • Inspiration! (Old folks doing great things.) I hit the boulder white clouds (Antz Basin, Chamberlain Basin) two weeks before the closure. I also really learned to jump this year.
    • Thoughts on getting old in mountain biking (or "Danny MacAskill's gonna get old someday...") I'll ride somehow someway as long as I can.
    • Gearing for older riders (any different?) Currently, 2x10, working out keeps me strong. A 40 wolf ring really helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The 50+ Forum Rundown-penny-penny-lane.jpg  

Last edited by formica; 03-24-2016 at 03:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am 57, retired public historian, that lives in western North Carolina. My wife is 63, retired local public health educator/nutritionist. We have been mtbing since the early 80's, road riding since the 70's. Currently we are on the local trails, Bent Creek Experimental Forest, Dupont State Recreational Forest, Jackrabbit Mtb Trails, and Lake James State Park several times a week. We are truly enjoying life here in western NC.

Dusting Trails
    I hit 64 last Sunday and I'm loving retired life. My fifty year old wife and fourteen year old son like pushing me farther up the mountain to keep me healthy. Here they are with me on a ride this year. I've very thankful they both love riding mountain bikes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Turning 60 next month. Just bought my 1st mtn bike a couple of weeks ago. So far, I'm loving it, but boy, am I out of shape!

Dusting Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by SubiOwner View Post
    Turning 60 next month. Just bought my 1st mtn bike a couple of weeks ago. So far, I'm loving it, but boy, am I out of shape!
    Baby steps - I started a few years back and now I ride three days a week and average 50 miles a week. I turned 64 this month and I can ride up things that would of given me trouble twenty years ago. Just keep On Truckin' as they used to say!

mtbr member
    Don't worry. You'll always feel out of shape.

The fitter you get, the harder you'll ride, and you'll keep thinking "I'm out of shape", but you'll find you're getting up the hill faster.

Gasping for breath is good.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57Ί36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I recently joined but just found this forum yesterday. I think it's great! I retired from P&G in 2013 and they gave me a Trek 7.3 for my retirement gift. Last February I bought a Specialized Jynx so that I can ride road and off-road. I retired at 58 and turned 61 last month. I feel great! I lost 42 pounds the first 10 months I was retired by riding the Trek. It was a struggle because I hadn't done any serious riding in years. In fact, it had been years and years of 12-hour days six and seven days a week. I have been pushing really hard and now I can ride faster, further, and have more endurance than my 41-year old daughter or my 20-year old granddaughter.

Needless to say, except for slightly high inherited cholesterol (barely above normal now), my doctor is amazed. Even that dropped in half when I started riding and losing the weight, just not enough. My husband asked me how long I planned to keep riding and I told him as long as I lived and was physically able. I love it!
    2015 Specialized Jynx 27.5
    2013 Trek 7.3

EMBA Member
    Oh yeah SubiOwner, welcome to the club. Bought my first mountain bike at 59, 2.5 years ago. Like the others have said, don't worry just keep at it. My only other suggestion is to buy a Bike PC with a heart monitor and ride with that. Try getting up to 85% MHR and keep it there for at least 45 minutes. If you keep at it, hold on tight; you are in for a ride. In more ways then one.
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race" H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Great forum !

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Don't forget things like Strava for incentiveizing yourself. I used to use only offline apps, but switched to Strava with a Mio Fuse HR monitor and I love all the info and the tracking you can do against yourself and others.

Retired at 61 last May and am loving all the time I have to ride now!

Hang in there and you'll find motivation from the improvment you see!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great forum. I'm 55 in Jan 016, hve 5 mtbs and an MX bike (getting back into VMX after 20+ years). Been riding mtb for 22 years. Advice never stop of it gets harder each time to get back. List your bikes; lets see who riding what.
    Me
    1996 KHS Team frame changed to disk rear spec m975 group set
    2000 Sunn Exact ti fully rigid m985 group set
    2012 Avanti single speed rigid
    2013 Ritchey P-650b m985 group set
    2014 Scott Spark 700RC m9000 group set

Love them all and my Husky WR250 Enduro bike.

mamadirt
    Hello!!! . . . and cheers SWriverstone
    Welcome to the Hotel California . . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Great Idea. I have been riding MTBs since 1985, BMX before that and after. I Just turned 59 last month. Still make day trips to Whistler with my boys (33 and 28 now) I plan on riding for a long time. Not retired yet, artist art teacher, still skate bowls, surf, ski, snowboard too. Living Life!!!!

nvphatty
    59 and taking delivery of my 2nd mtb in a couple weeks time. Began in 2010 and relish every mile i can muster.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    new to this forum,just turned 50 in July,started biking seriously in 2008 with a road set-up,bought my first FS MTB in 2012,due to a fractured hip last year,i find the most enjoyment on my recently acquired FatBike.....i love riding,all i wanna do in my off time,beaches mostly...(the beach never closes due to wet NC winters) Hello to All!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Turned 51 this year, so decided to pop my arctic winter cherry @ Rovaniemi 150 - here's nearly 39 hours of 'fun' condensed into 7 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glPtrsEZrLM

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Hi guys,just stumbled across this great forum with its own pinned section for us oldies.
    Im 67 and until my hips packed in had been Mtbing since the days of fully rigid bikes 25 yrs ago.
    Now After 5 yrs lay off and 2 hip replacements I'm back on the bikes and still loving it..my biggest fear is taking a fall and damaging the new hips,but my surgeon says my metal implants are stronger than the original bones hmmm..any ways,nowhere near my old fitness but improving all the time..the biggest problem is rebuilding 5yrs of wasted glutes and quads,but slowly but surely is the key..I'm riding 2x25 mile rides a week 50% of which is steep climbing.
    my old riding buddies keep badgering me to go on Strava, I'm not fit enough yet,and would be embarrassed..but my time will come.
    thanks for the great posts which have given me loads of encouragement
    Paul. UK

Don't worry, be happy!
    You don't have to be a Stravahole if you are on Strava. I use it solely to keep track of mileage and climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Ok cheers for that..
    But I'd hate seeing my old mates way ahead of me..I'm not pulling any trees up now,just doing it cos I've always loved it and just so glad to get out on the bike again,a day at one time I thought I'd never see again..
    Can't overstate what a great feeling that is,and can't see why folks who are able bodied sit in a chair all day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by davegreenmc View Post
    Ride when ever I can all year round 59 yr of age but still putting the miles in. Warm up most mornings is taking my 3 yr old to preschool on foot.
    Great! I thought I was the only one with a late start on fatherhood: I'm 53 with a 3yr old.

I rode hard and heavy during my 20's and 30's, then took my 40's off (bad move) and got back on the bike a couple years ago. My thought was that I wanted to live long enough to see my new daughter grow up. When I first resumed biking I wondered if I was going to live long enough to make it back to the house to see her go to bed at night! I'm getting there and it's funny to see the bike handling skills and instincts come back that I hadn't used in years.

Dusting Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    Great! I thought I was the only one with a late start on fatherhood: I'm 53 with a 3yr old.

I rode hard and heavy during my 20's and 30's, then took my 40's off (bad move) and got back on the bike a couple years ago. My thought was that I wanted to live long enough to see my new daughter grow up. When I first resumed biking I wondered if I was going to live long enough to make it back to the house to see her go to bed at night! I'm getting there and it's funny to see the bike handling skills and instincts come back that I hadn't used in years.
    There are a few of us older dads on here - I'm 64 and my son is 14 - people keep asking me if he's my grandson.

mtbr member

50 is the new 30...or something like that, right?

I'm about 50.5 - I love riding...Mountain Biking is my passion, I commute to/from work Monday through Friday and I've been mixing it up on the road bike a bit the last few years too. Jeez...I just love riding bikes.

Road riding makes the Mountain Biking more fun because the hills don't suck so dang much and I can ride for a good long time. Mountain Biking just makes you a good bike handler. The commuting is great for the soul, good warm up for the day at work and cool down for the evening at home.

My "stable" is a mixed bag of fun sleds.

Buzz Lightyear Commuting Rat Rod
    The 50+ Forum Rundown-buzz.jpg

The Bombardero Vasco
    The 50+ Forum Rundown-13227353_10156839184180627_6591338021524467653_o.jpg

The Bellezza Italiana
    The 50+ Forum Rundown-img_20150321_103902.jpg

The Jambulance with 450 watts powering 6 speakers for pub crawls and such.
    The 50+ Forum Rundown-img_20160420_205121790.jpg
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It's great that folks are finding/refinding biking, better yet, tell folks you know that they should never stop riding!

I started riding a bike at age four, rode BMX until my teens, switched to road, then went back and forth between mountain and road for years, finally hung up road ten years ago and have focused 100% on mountain.

I turn fifty-one this summer, now I ride the biggest and baddest bike I have ever owned, I ride snow as well as dirt, and I'm starting to push into the gravity realm!

Getting old is the shite!

... and if you get bored with riding two wheels, there's always unicycling

mtbr member
    Hi folks, I hadn't been on MTBR for a while and I recently came across this thread. I'm 55 and it doesn't seem so long ago that this age seemed so far away. Over the years, I've always had some sort of bike.

Below are my two-wheeled partners over time. I enjoy wrenching and started building up framesets in the 90s. It's been a hoot!

~ 1966....Tiny Schwinn Fleet with coaster brake
    ~ 1968....Schwinn Sting-Ray with coaster brake
    ~ 1974....Schwinn Varsity (my first 10-speed road bike)
    1975......Yamaha YZ 125 motocross bike
    1977......Yamaha YZ 250 motocross bike
    1982......Honda CR 250R motocross bike
    1985......Miyata Ridge Runner (my first mountain bike and university commuter)
    1994......Specialized Rock Hopper mountain bike
    1994......Cannondale R600 road bike
    1996......Specialized S-works M2 mountain bike
    1996......Serotta Atlanta road bike (Steel is real! I still ride this bike on occasion)
    2002......Trek 5500 road bike
    2004......Specialized Stumpjumper FSR mountain bike
    2008......Trek Madone 5.2 Pro road bike
    2011......Giant XTC 29er hardtail mountain bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Glad to see a forum for those of us over 50. I turned 65 this past March. What does not matter anymore how I dress, what I ride and where. I tend to ride alone so I can go slow when I feel like it enjoying the view and fast when the urge hits me. I can for the most part pass the younger crowd in the hills, because my mountain bike lacks the fancy shocks that newer bikes have.
    Life is riding no less than 40 miles a day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks, Scott. Glad to meet you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    For years now I have skipped work on my birthday to celebrate with a long ride. This year was the semi-centennial ride, which took a little longer to finish - two weeks for the Colorado Trail, bikepacking. Feeling much below 50 now

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I am 51.5 and i love to mountain bike! looking at purchasing my second FS bike and have decided that i going to drop some $ and get a nice carbon bike. sure are some sweet bikes out there in the 5k range, the trick is demo riding them and picking the best one! Looking at Santa Cruz, Pivot, and now Divinci. Going to stay with a 29er i think. Glad to see so many folks still riding at 50+. About a month ago i was riding the Pinhoti trails and we had a 1 mile gravel road climb to the next trail and i left some of those 30-somethings behind, sure put a smile on my face! lol

Raleigh
    I'll be 50 on Oct 18th. I ride a rigid, and love it. Going to Pisgah tomorrow - woo!

Cheers!
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11152127

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gratefulron View Post
    I am 51.5 and i love to mountain bike! looking at purchasing my second FS bike and have decided that i going to drop some $ and get a nice carbon bike. sure are some sweet bikes out there in the 5k range, the trick is demo riding them and picking the best one! Looking at Santa Cruz, Pivot, and now Divinci. Going to stay with a 29er i think. Glad to see so many folks still riding at 50+. About a month ago i was riding the Pinhoti trails and we had a 1 mile gravel road climb to the next trail and i left some of those 30-somethings behind, sure put a smile on my face! lol
    Warranty. Warranty. Warranty.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    Warranty. Warranty. Warranty.
    you are right, warranty is important! i think all the brands i mentioned do have lifetime warranties. i did look at Ibis but their warranty is only 3 years. i have never had to use a warranty but i do believe it is telling with regards to standing behind the bike quality and craftsmanship.

mtbr member
    I have used the Giant warranty 3 times. Finally sold my ancient Giant AC and went with an Orbea Occam. Lifetime Warranty requirement had me down to only three brands sold locally.

I also only go with shops that offer lifetime tuneups.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    GoatRidesBikes.com

mtbr member
    Rode a lot from the early 90's thru 2004. 51 now and just getting back. Tuned up the old F600 and got out a few times with my 17 yo son recently. He's got a lot to learn to hang with the old man. Still feel young at heart but the body has a harder time keeping up these days. But they say the first 50 years of childhood are the toughest!

mtbr member
    Wow, nice to see some other old timers in here. I'm 60 and I've been biking for the last twenty years. I'm mostly down to mountain biking right now as I got burnt out dodging cars so the road bike is just collecting dust but I keep it around just in case I get brave again.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Happy Trails

The 50+ Forum Rundown

51. Been riding all my life. For the last ten years I've ranged from 2000 - 4000 miles a year. I've done a few half iron distance triathlons, but now I prefer the trails. I race MTB a few times a year and finish in the front of the middle of the pack. Out on the trail I am sooooo over crashing, so I ride a little slower, but I can keep the wheels spinning. I do most of my riding in Arizona, and know my way around Sedona, Prescott and NE Phoenix metropolitan area pretty well. I enjoy riding my bike to work (20 mile round trip) a few times per month ... sometimes even a few times per week. Just a few hours ago I lit up with my lights and took a bandit lap around the local golf course on the paved but swoops cart paths..... had a blast. I have a bunch of bikes .... an eBike, a nice road bike, an awesome 1997 steel Bianchi Campione, a Trek Top Fuel, two Lefty trails bikes (Trigger and an FSi) .... wait a sec .... three Lefties .... also have an F-29'buddy bike. And a Scott Spark. And a Tarmac road bike. I plan to ride for as long as I live! If you find your way to Arizona and want to ride, LMK and I'm happy to show you around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Just turned 52 in October, but I've been riding bikes for most of my life. I started out racing BMX in the 70's, and broke my back racing again at 50. I have a lot of bikes including a Farley 5, Fuel Ex 7, GT BMX bike, SE Big Ripper, and old Gary Fisher hard tail and more. Ride on!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

"Old man" stats. 51 years young. 11 centuries this year. On target for 6,500 miles this year. Has made me a much stronger Mountain Biker. I can ride forever.

If you want to geek out on stats, connect your Strava to Veloviewer.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Great forum! I hit 50 last August.

New challenges still matter, but not stupid challenge or not at the rate when younger. Guess I'm finally starting to learn pacing. Having fun and taking care of myself are much more important now, and Mt biking is a favorite means.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I turned 56 last November. I just bought my inexpensive mountain bike a few weeks ago and have only done a relatively short/easy ride (about 17 miles on a prepared and flat trail). I'm supposed to get back surgery next month that will knock me out for a few weeks, but I fully intend to hit it hard as soon as the doc lets me. Already planning some overnighters now. Good idea on the old farts' category, by the way.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hey, late to the party but having fun! Started last year right after my 52nd birthday, on an old hardtail. Bought a 150mm-double-squish Enduro a few months back, and love it to death! I know most of the trails from SF Bay to Santa Cruz now and am getting stronger. I ride 2~3 times per week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djrshorai@gmail.com View Post
    Hey, late to the party but having fun! Started last year right after my 52nd birthday, on an old hardtail. Bought a 150mm-double-squish Enduro a few months back, and love it to death! I know most of the trails from SF Bay to Santa Cruz now and am getting stronger. I ride 2~3 times per week.
    So awesome to hear. I'm 51 and down for 6 to 8 weeks with a shoulder repair. Go crank out some miles for me!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    GoatRidesBikes.com

mtbr member
    Howdy folks! 66 here and just recently quit smoking and drinking in the bars. Hadn't really ridden much except for around the neighborhoods for a couple of decades but got a new full squish a couple of months ago and been riding 5/6 days a week for 2-3 hours a day. I live at 6500 ft. elev. so makes me huff and puff for sure on these mountain trails. I'm amazed I haven't had a heart attack yet. Ha, ha. I had forgotten how much fun this stuff was!

Happy Trails!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    So awesome to hear. I'm 51 and down for 6 to 8 weeks with a shoulder repair. Go crank out some miles for me!
    Good luck with that shoulder. I had 5 bad places (back, ankle, shoulder, etc) and combination of workout classes, weightlifting, and MTB the last year has improved them all (95% cured a couple). Happy rides when you're back.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Good for you, OldTimer. That's a lot of riding. Gotta up my game I guess! I quit drinking 15 months ago and smoking a year ago. Best decisions I ever made.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    New to the forum and new to biking. The last time that I was on a bike was before I got my drivers license at age 16 -- which will be 51 years ago next week. I will turn 67.

Great health, most of my hair, none of my original teeth, but I have been doing P90X for 5 years and in better shape now than when I was 35.

I am in the process of buying a Yeti SB5 to rip up the trails around my community. It just looks like fun! I'm sure that there will be some days that make me wish that I stuck to driving sports cars instead of bikes, but hey, I need a new hobby!

mtbr member
    Hey ReelMan, welcome to the forum! I think you will enjoy it, I sure do. If I may be so bold as to offer a few pointers...

- Take it easy at first and give yourself time to get accustomed to things before you start ripping up the trails (protective gear would be really good, especially if you live in a rocky, mountainous area)

- Go tubeless as soon as possible.

- Get a dropper post if you live in an up & down area.

- Stay well hydrated and take along an energy bar or something.

Happy Trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Hey Everyone, 51 and riding for years and a passion of mine. Unfortunately, one that has been taken away recently. I cracked my frame. I don't mean for this to be a sob story but thought I could get some good advice from someone on this thread. I have a Jamis that cracked on the seat stem on the triangle. Jamis has been non-responsive after initially saying they would replace the frame. I have been going through my LBS and he relays me the info. Apparently the guy who said they would replace it has left Jamis and now they are non-responsive. This has been going on for 3 months! I tried emailing them and have also gotten no response. So 2 questions. Anyone else had issues with Jamis or know how to get hold of them? I am resigning myself to buying a new bike. Without getting anything out of my Jamis I can't spend more than $2000 and thats pushing it. I ride hard, Colorado, Utah stuff and worry a cheaper bike won't hold up. Any opinions out there? I've been looking at Bulls Wild Cup 3 and a Norco Fluid 7 as a couple of options. Thanks.

Cycologist
    What model Jamis is it? If it is very new at all, I would lean more on the LBS.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer1950 View Post
    Hey ReelMan, welcome to the forum! I think you will enjoy it, I sure do. If I may be so bold as to offer a few pointers...

- Take it easy at first and give yourself time to get accustomed to things before you start ripping up the trails (protective gear would be really good, especially if you live in a rocky, mountainous area)

- Go tubeless as soon as possible.

- Get a dropper post if you live in an up & down area.

- Stay well hydrated and take along an energy bar or something.

Happy Trails!
    I'd add in a skills clinic. It will save you mistakes on the learning curve. Many bike clubs sponsor them... ask around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteetDog View Post
    Hey Everyone, 51 and riding for years and a passion of mine. Unfortunately, one that has been taken away recently. I cracked my frame. I don't mean for this to be a sob story but thought I could get some good advice from someone on this thread. I have a Jamis that cracked on the seat stem on the triangle. Jamis has been non-responsive after initially saying they would replace the frame. I have been going through my LBS and he relays me the info. Apparently the guy who said they would replace it has left Jamis and now they are non-responsive. This has been going on for 3 months! I tried emailing them and have also gotten no response. So 2 questions. Anyone else had issues with Jamis or know how to get hold of them? I am resigning myself to buying a new bike. Without getting anything out of my Jamis I can't spend more than $2000 and thats pushing it. I ride hard, Colorado, Utah stuff and worry a cheaper bike won't hold up. Any opinions out there? I've been looking at Bulls Wild Cup 3 and a Norco Fluid 7 as a couple of options. Thanks.
    Jamis seems a bit tougher to get warranty work than some. I've never had problems with Giant and now Orbea. Broke 3 Giant frames and 1 Orbea. Zero issues with warranty. Be sure your new bike carries a solid lifetime warranty on the frame.

What part of the country are you in? I'll see if your local Jamis dealer has any ideas on how to help you.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I live in Colorado, the Jamis is just under 5 years old but still under warranty.