The 50+ Forum Rundown - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    5-0
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I just turned 50 on 8-9. My type of cardio for the last 35 years was running, but last year I began to have lower back problems. I was getting to the point of gaining weight and not having much energy. A couple of months ago I decided to try mountain biking. Holy crap was I addicted within a few rides. I started with a few trail rides then started some down hill single tracks in Prescott. It has since turned into an addication of sorts. I sold my hardtail, and last week I picked up a 2018 Trek Fuel EX 8 Eagle. I am enjoying riding so much it is all I seem to think about. I am hoping I can keep from getting injured to bad and keep riding the trails to keep in shape. I joined this forum to try and learn as much as I can.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    This idea maybe redundant? but how about a thread for "Starting @ 50+" Sort of a beginners corner for our age group? Just a thought. Thanks for listening/reading
    I guess I can officially post here.
    Although biking a bit more starting in the early 1990's, I really got my start in the 'terrain category' after arriving / settling in Colorado, winter of '93 and just a few months following birthday 31.

I can still def qualify as a beginner. Not a lot of techy prowess, not a strong climber and any time I get off the bike from a ride, I usually feel like I'd went 10 miles farther. Always a good trick for taking a nap though.

Tonight marks my first work commute and although I've had the bicycle up here a few times, those rides were purely recreational and daylight hours. Been a bit skittish of night riding and having to mix it up some with traffic but thankfully, recent events (Parks n Rec/ Greenway projects) have me navigating without drama for almost the entire way, just under 5 miles. My push to commuting is the short miles and the want of getting stronger and riding more often. Lately, been very busy for weekday rides with buds and some of them are on to projects , vacation or other things. Maybe this commute thing will help me be more active in other solo rides which hasn't been my normal method. Tonight's ride in was 4.58 miles and 430 ft elevation change.
    It was clear and 58 degrees, felt ideal.
    I'll be 56 in NOV.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The 50+ Forum Rundown-20170813_230235_resized.jpg  

bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again.

mtbr member
    This thing still going? Just turned 50 this month. I hope I am not too late??? Been mtb riding about 3 years. Having fun. 2018 is my retirement year. Retirement Plans??? Ride trails... repeat...ride more trails... repeat...!!!

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    I guess I can officially post here.
    Although biking a bit more starting in the early 1990's, I really got my start in the 'terrain category' after arriving / settling in Colorado, winter of '93 and just a few months following birthday 31.

I can still def qualify as a beginner. Not a lot of techy prowess, not a strong climber and any time I get off the bike from a ride, I usually feel like I'd went 10 miles farther. Always a good trick for taking a nap though.

Tonight marks my first work commute and although I've had the bicycle up here a few times, those rides were purely recreational and daylight hours. Been a bit skittish of night riding and having to mix it up some with traffic but thankfully, recent events (Parks n Rec/ Greenway projects) have me navigating without drama for almost the entire way, just under 5 miles. My push to commuting is the short miles and the want of getting stronger and riding more often. Lately, been very busy for weekday rides with buds and some of them are on to projects , vacation or other things. Maybe this commute thing will help me be more active in other solo rides which hasn't been my normal method. Tonight's ride in was 4.58 miles and 430 ft elevation change.
    It was clear and 58 degrees, felt ideal.
    I'll be 56 in NOV.
    Isn't your bday today? Happy Birthday bachman!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder67 View Post
    This thing still going? Just turned 50 this month. I hope I am not too late??? Been mtb riding about 3 years. Having fun. 2018 is my retirement year. Retirement Plans??? Ride trails... repeat...ride more trails... repeat...!!!
    Oh yeah, we're still going. Welcome to the club. Yeah, most of us got here earlier than you but you're not too late.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

mtbr member
    I'm 62, and just started mountain biking Oct 2017. I've been on about 12 rides so far and put about 70 miles on the bike in about 5 weeks or so. First 2 rides were not that well taken, but since the 3rd ride, things have been getting way way better in handling the bike now. Going on a ride in about an hour.

Don't worry, be happy!
    See if you can find a skills clinic. Most new adult riders find them very beneficial.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Oh yeah, we're still going. Welcome to the club. Yeah, most of us got here earlier than you but you're not too late.
    Awesome!!! I am riding about 4 days a week now in south Jersey. Cant get enough. Loving this thread. And jcd46, I started at 47. At that age I will never be a pro. Even people who are just getting started at 50 can relate to the issues and riding styles of most people here. GJmtnbike good for you man. We all start somewhere. And that's a good amount of miles for just starting at 62. It is addictive. Have fun. Happy to be a new member of the club.

Resident Curmudgeon
    61 and I just saw this thread. They can make me grow old but they can't make me grow up.

Just go back from a three mile run. Last weekend I did a two day 9 hours of snowshoeing trip to Mt Lassen weekend before that was Mt Bike at Del Valle and prir to that I did a 5 hour kayak trip on Del Valle.

Never Quit Playing

The 50+ Forum Rundown-lasssen1.jpg
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

How many of these threads are there?
    50+ physiology - Better diet, longer recovery and a little tequila.
    How do you keep going? Inertia. Been commuting for 35 years.
    Post-ride, post-workout recovery tips. Hydration and sleep (the later is much harder than the former.
    What matters (and didn't used to) I don't Cat 6 everyone I see anymore. People seemed to quit needing me to explain why I ride about the same time I decided I wasn't going to do that anymore. Karma.
    Riding with other older riders...versus young whippersnappers. I ride mostly solo, but I like riding with anyone really. I like meeting new riders on the trail and road.
    Inspiration! (Old folks doing great things.) I see older riders with smiles on their faces and that's all I need for inspiration.
    Thoughts on getting old in mountain biking. Aging is mandatory, it happens slower if you're in motion. I'm slower and probably less technically adept but my pain tolerance is higher and my insurance is better. It's all in balance.
    Gearing for older riders (any different?) 2x10, used to ride 3x9. Liked that better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Pretty nice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    61 and just sayin' hi. I woulda been a mountain biker in my teens if it was a thing back then that I knew of. Now I'm in the mtb forums mainly 'cos my bike frame take 26" wheels. Gearing I like as low as possible - 1x11 with a tiny 28T front and massive 42T rear - uphill at 60rpm on the crank, I'm just barely upright at 3mph.

mtbr member
    I'll play. Turned 56 last January. Lost 30lb+ when I quit drinking 4 years ago. That, and the newer bikes rejuvenated my thirst for biking. No post-recovery tips but I do like to ingest protein powder with a frozen fruit shake. It doesn't really matter how fast I go up anymore but I still like to bomb the descents. Enough so that I've been doing occasional enduro races and am still in the top 5% or better on any strava DH segment in my neck of the woods. I mostly ride alone during the week and enjoy group rides on weekends. I ride with lots of younger riders because quite simply older riders even in my outdoor oriented town don't ride much anymore. As for gearing I run 1x11 on both my bikes. 30 or 32 oval and 10-42.

I hate the thought of getting old but it beats the alternative.

mtbr member
    Greetings to fellow codgers and codgesses!

I've been 38 for 27 years now and been riding local trails for 2-3 years on $300 wannabe mtb's...now awaiting the call to pick up my new '18 Fuel EX+ and get started on some new skills.

Retirement will be here in 20 months so there will be lot's more pedaling in the very near future.

Oh, and I'm still an avid windsurfer as well! Plus, I suggest martinis for recovery...

Ciao

mtbr member
    In about 10days I will be hitting the 50....
    Am I posting too soon?

I normally post in the 'Clydesdales/Tall Riders', but lately I have been aggressively trying to change from the Clydes part and now I see this 50's thread.
    TREK 2012 Marlin
    TREK 2013 Superfly Comp - Carbon
    I want 3600+ miles for 2019

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    This idea maybe redundant? but how about a thread for "Starting @ 50+" Sort of a beginners corner for our age group? Just a thought. Thanks for listening/reading
    Did your idea manifest? I am 60 and started 2 years ago.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    Did your idea manifest? I am 60 and started 2 years ago.
    Negative!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I will bail you out of jail if needed.
    Go for it start a thread about it we are many. Some are tired of car noises or risk. I have been pedaling 57 years and just tired of the city.

Bikesexual
    I will bail you out of jail if needed.
    Go for it start a thread about it we are many. Some are tired of car noises or risk. I have been pedaling 57 years and just tired of the city.
    Haha, well with the beginner's corner it maybe redundant, and I'm probably not the guy to start it up since my experience is also limited. I started mtb when I signed up to the forum, but had to take a hiatus due to life.

Last 2 1/2 yrs, I've been pedaling more consistently, I've learned a boatload with these guys, but still I'm a pretty raw rider.

Totally addicted, and hope to ride for the rest of whatever I have left. Started late, but sticking around.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    First post to say "thanks" for this forum.

mtbr member
    Okay... so when I tried to register for this forum it said the user name I wanted was taken.
    Then it said the email address I was using was taken. Hmmm.
    So I did the "Forgot username/password (and was thankful it told me my usename as part of the email it sent).

I guess I've aged since I registered.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark 42 View Post
    Okay... so when I tried to register for this forum it said the user name I wanted was taken.
    Then it said the email address I was using was taken. Hmmm.
    So I did the "Forgot username/password (and was thankful it told me my usename as part of the email it sent).

I guess I've aged since I registered.
    Ask your computer if it is time to eat???
    And... what u like

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Ask your computer if it is time to eat???
    And... what u like
    I believe there's an app for that.
    I really kinda envy the 50+ riders who are also just started trail riding. I remember how great that felt, and it still feels good, but not like at first.
    Still, I intend to ride for as long as I can stand. Maybe longer.

mtbr member
    officially one month from being able to post in here

just back on the bike after a medically mandated few years off. We shall see how long it takes to get the condition back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12