Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A- Mtbr.com
    Captain One Lung Administrator

Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A

*edit* The First Ride Review is live:
    https://reviews.mtbr.com/fezzari-wir...st-ride-review

Hi All,

I'm currently reviewing the new Wire Peak Elite. I'll write up my initial thoughts soon and follow it up with a long-term review later in the year. In the mean time I'm happy to answer any questions you may have and/or take any measurements you may find helpful since there are not a lot of options to see the bike in person short of taking advantage of the Fezzari 30-day "Love It or Return It" program.

I ordered the bike from Fezzari as if I were a normal customer and not a reviewer. I used their 23-point Custom Setup. The bike arrived promptly and very well protected!

Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A-9ze7aw5.jpg
    Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A-xv5kfmm.jpg

It was 95% assembled too! I didn't even have to adjust suspension sag before taking it for a trail ride. Later I dialed in the rear shock a little more but talk about ready to ride!
    Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A-8ezm3ri.jpg
    Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A-mknqxwp.jpg

Pre-set sag. Nicely done Tyler B.
    Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A-fnsifjq.jpg
    Ready to ride
    Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A-wbiuqh7.jpg

KITT: "Don't touch Turbo Boost. Something tells me you shouldn't touch Turbo Boost."
    Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A-vnhu55g.jpg

Loam certified
    Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A-scweaiz.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Looks good! Look forward to hearing how you like it.

I'm curious, what did they send you in the black Fezzari bag? I didn't get one of those with my bike.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 05stroker View Post
    Looks good! Look forward to hearing how you like it.

I'm curious, what did they send you in the black Fezzari bag? I didn't get one of those with my bike.

I don't remember now. I think it was more brochures and a tshirt. The tshirt is BOMB! It's made of super soft material. Goofy I know but I love that material. TASCO MTB uses the same brand blanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I don't remember now. I think it was more brochures and a tshirt. The tshirt is BOMB! It's made of super soft material. Goofy I know but I love that material. TASCO MTB uses the same brand blanks.
    Darn, I always like a good t-shirt. Now I'm a little bummed. I wonder if that just comes with the e-bike or something. Oh well.

How are you liking the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by 05stroker View Post
    Darn, I always like a good t-shirt. Now I'm a little bummed. I wonder if that just comes with the e-bike or something. Oh well.

How are you liking the bike?

Hmm maybe.

I'm loving it. Every time I ride it I think this seriously could be my 1 and only bike. The only thing that makes me hesitate is trail access. Some trails are closed to ebikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hmm maybe.

I'm loving it. Every time I ride it I think this seriously could be my 1 and only bike. The only thing that makes me hesitate is trail access. Some trails are closed to ebikes.
    Right on. I haven't ridden one at all. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to cover more ground on my rides though. I think with the amount of e-bikes coming out though, they'll figure something out for the trail access. I don't see much of an issue for the ones like the Wire Peak that are just pedal assist. I can see the higher powered ones with the throttles could be an issue though.

mtbr member
    Hi All,

I'm currently reviewing the new Wire Peak Elite. I'll write up my initial thoughts soon and follow it up with a long-term review later in the year. In the mean time I'm happy to answer any questions you may have and/or take any measurements you may find helpful since there are not a lot of options to see the bike in person short of taking advantage of the Fezzari 30-day "Love It or Return It" program.

I ordered the bike from Fezzari as if I were a normal customer and not a reviewer. I used their 23-point Custom Setup. The bike arrived promptly and very well protected!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9ZE7AW5.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	1234898

Name:	Xv5KfMM.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	1234897

It was 95% assembled too! I didn't even have to adjust suspension sag before taking it for a trail ride. Later I dialed in the rear shock a little more but talk about ready to ride!

Name:	8Ezm3rI.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	339.4 KB 
ID:	1234899

Name:	MknQxWp.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	407.0 KB 
ID:	1234901

Pre-set sag. Nicely done Tyler B.

Name:	fnSIFjQ.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	1234911
    Ready to ride

Name:	wbIUqH7.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	575.5 KB 
ID:	1234907

KITT: "Don't touch Turbo Boost. Something tells me you shouldn't touch Turbo Boost."

Name:	vNhU55G.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	390.8 KB 
ID:	1234903

Loam certified

Name:	sCWEAiz.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	349.5 KB 
ID:	1234917
    30 day return is pretty cool.

Not a role model
    Remember to note that it's a size XL. Such a detail matters, since the geo is different in the diff sizes and can't expect the same handling in smaller size.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Remember to note that it's a size XL. Such a detail matters, since the geo is different in the diff sizes and can't expect the same handling in smaller size.
    Definitely and good point!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What does this setup weigh in the XL size (including pedals etc etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    What does this setup weigh in the XL size (including pedals etc etc)?
    Depends on your pedals. The bike ready to ride except for pedals was 50.3lbs. So just add the weight of your pedals.

mtbr member
    Definitely and good point!
    So me at 6' a L is spot on?

Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    So me at 6' a L is spot on?
    Personally I think so. You can make small adjustments with stem length and saddle position. It would be interesting to see what Fezzari thinks. My fiance just bought a Wire Peak Pro and it was set up quite well for her. We only had to adjust the cockpit with is a VERY personal thing. She's 5'4ish and 115lbs on a small. They even nailed the shock pressure and setting. We may need to remove a little air from the fork but that was it. They had it nearly 100% dialed for her. She's a BICP certified L2 Instructor and says the fit is great. Impressive.

Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A-3vbjtxn.jpg

Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A-gpddt0m.jpg

While building up Jeni's new race bike I had CaptainCobb's young shredder run down the battery on my Wire Peak so I could test out a simple inexpensive 300w power inverter I'll use to charge ebikes while traveling. Little homie rips!

Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A-c3fsngp.jpg
    Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A-pa48ar6.jpg

The inverter worked like a charm. $45 on Amazon. You'll need the charger adapter from Fezzari also. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want to get full rated power out of it you'll need a cigarette lighter with a >=20a or higher fuse or you'll have to clip the adapter off and hardwire it to a >20a power source.

Not a role model
    I'm confused by how the reach increases by 79mm between the S and XL, but the wheelbase only grows by 61.2mm. I was expecting the reach difference to be shorter than the WB difference, since a longer headtube shortens reach.

Wire Peak - ebike model Q & A-photo-4-wire-peak-geo-768x653.jpg

Would be grateful if I could hear an opinion from someone who can compare your S to your XL Wire Peak, regarding out-of-the-saddle handling on challenging terrain, from composure on slow tech rock sections to confidence on higher speed black diamond trails. Would be interesting to know which is more preferred, sizing up to get increased reach/WB, or spending more for the higher level component spec. Balanced geo (RC-FC proportions) + stability vs lightweight + playfulness (from shorter wheelbase)?

Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post

Would be grateful if I could hear an opinion from someone who can compare your S to your XL Wire Peak, regarding out-of-the-saddle handling on challenging terrain, from composure on slow tech rock sections to confidence on higher speed black diamond trails. Would be interesting to know which is more preferred, sizing up to get increased reach/WB, or spending more for the higher level component spec. Balanced geo (RC-FC proportions) + stability vs lightweight + playfulness (from shorter wheelbase)?
    From what I can tell the agility/stability is maintained between sizes. Jeni said that her Small Pro feels very agility and is stable on steeps and I mean really steep. A friend who rides Pro in the enduro series rode both of our bikes (he normally rides a medium) commented on the agility, unprompted, and he rides Focus ebikes for his rental business and a Nomad.

As to your last question, that is always the hardest decision and it applies to all mountain bikes. Do you opt for a larger/longer bike for stability or a smaller bike for gibbing fun? On my last bike I went 1 size smaller and it was perfect 90% of the time. This time I went up a size and for some reason it also feel perfect 90% of the time. The 10% that is not so perfect just happens in different areas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hey JC,
    I'd like to get your thoughts on a few questions I have about this bike.
    I'm new to both the fezzari brand and ebikes in general.

1) since you have access to the pro and the elite, what's your take on spending the extra $$ for the pro build and ride characteristics between the 2? 160 vs 150 fork?
    (I know they're different sizes, just in general)
    2) wheel size? I've got both at present, just wondering if there are any notable advantages one size over the other on the bike front. The fezzari website says 27.5 is the recommended tire size for this bike....?

Thanks
    Last edited by rwdbkr; 03-25-2019 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Oops

NedwannaB
    Subscribed......😎

Quote Originally Posted by rwdbkr View Post
    Hey JC,
    I'd like to get your thoughts on a few questions I have about this bike.
    I'm new to both the fezzari brand and rebukes in general.

1) since you have access to the pro and the comp, what's your take on spending the extra $$ for the pro build and ride characteristics between the 2?
    (I know they're different sizes, just in general)
    2) wheel size? I've got both at present, just wondering if there are any notable advantages one size over the other on the bike front. The fezzari website says 27.5 is the recommended tire size for this bike....?

Thanks
    1) I cannot ride her Pro model per say because it is set up for her weight and size. Pedaling around I can say the Fox 36 Grip 2 fork feels amazeballs. My Yari RC on the Elite model feels fine during normal riding but there is a bit of stiction that the Fox doesn't seem to have. On the trail I don't think about my fork though so it's not bad at all.

2) The Wire Peak is pretty heavy. It is agile for sure but I wonder if you would lose some of that agility with a 29" tire, especially if you size up to a 29x6. I was really hesitant to go with a 27.5+ after a not so great experience on another brand's bike for 4 months. However, I am loving this setup. I'm not a big fan of super low tire pressure. Anything below 16psi and the rear feels too squirmy so plus tires just didn't seem like my jam. I get rear tire squirm on the Wire Peak as well but I found bumping the pressure to somewhere around 17psi-20psi gives me the stability I like without being too bouncy. The wider tires and lower than non-plus tire pressure offers loads of grip and a bit more comfort than a 29x3.5 tire so I'm happy. I've never been into 29ers in general so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I blew a hole in the tread of the 2.8 Rekon that came on the bike so I threw on a DHF EXO MaxxTerra and I don't really notice a difference in pedaling efficiency because of the motor. So IMO why run a racy tire on the rear of an ebike? Slap a knobby tire in the rear and get yo grip on yo!

F*** it
    Mar 2014
    Still happy with the bike? There's a very good chance this will be my next bike. Thanks for the in-depth review.
    "But so I think, I think it would be, I think it would be very, very, I think we'd have a very, very solid..." ~ D. Bonespurs

Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    Still happy with the bike? There's a very good chance this will be my next bike. Thanks for the in-depth review.
    Totally! I may experiment with a set of 2.35 e13 TRS tires on it as recommended by friends at TDS Enduro. But so far so good and no issues other than a charger fault light popping up occasionally. I am working with Fezzari to diagnose. The rest of their fleet doesn't do this so I maybe have a faulty charger. They have been great with assistance! I purposefully don't say who I am when I contact them just to see how I get treated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I've had my Wirepeak Pro since January and have around 750 miles on it. No issues with the build or the Shimano components. Same orange blinking light on the charger JCWages is seeing above, but I don't see any indication of incomplete full charge levels. Still a blast to ride around my local forest preserve and I've had it to a couple of bike parks too. VERY glad I bought it.

F*** it
    Mar 2014
    Thanks, guys! My riding is really affected by some mild chronic fatigue. This could be a game changer!
    "But so I think, I think it would be, I think it would be very, very, I think we'd have a very, very solid..." ~ D. Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    How many miles sofar?
    Do you think the noise level is less than a new one? I am asking because a rider wrote that about a Yamaha.
    With such a short chainstay how well does it climb the steeps?
    On my bikes i like a short one usualy buy my Ebike his 460.
    I am wondering if the front wheel pops up to much. Like on a fire road if you climb fast and you hit some root/rock?
    Happy trails.

Thanks, guys! My riding is really affected by some mild chronic fatigue. This could be a game changer!
    It most definitely is! I have moderate to severe CFS and have to take Vyvanse daily to have enough energy to try and work a full day and even with that help it is very difficult.

The Wire Peak essentially removes the dreaded burden of hill climbs and as such makes me more willing to ride. The bike is heavy no doubt but very nimble IMO so you still get a workout because you are always in search of stuff to play on and pop it off of.

My health has gotten so bad that I honestly would not be riding at all this year if I was not on the Wire Peak.

Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    How many miles sofar?
    Do you think the noise level is less than a new one? I am asking because a rider wrote that about a Yamaha.
    With such a short chainstay how well does it climb the steeps?
    On my bikes i like a short one usualy buy my Ebike his 460.
    I am wondering if the front wheel pops up to much. Like on a fire road if you climb fast and you hit some root/rock?
    Happy trails.
    I'm not sure how many miles but I've ridden enough to know I love it. I actually sold my Evil as I stopped riding it after getting the Wire Peak..... Yes, The Calling is more nimble but I have considered trying out a set of 2.35" tires on the Wire Peak to see how that affects the handling. My buddies at TDS Enduro (Ron and Casey) but recommended trying the skinnier tires. They've done it on their ebikes and love how it changes the bike feel. The tires are less squirmy and handling is sharper than the 2.8" tires.

Noise levels are tolerable. When the motor is being used heavily you can definitely hear it and to some it may be slightly annoying but so can loud hubs. I sorta like it because it helps alert other trail users of your presence without having to back spin the hubs or ring a bell.

The front stays pretty well planted on steeps BUT if you are in Boost Mode and in a low gear while climbing a steep section and give it too much pedal input the front will easily pop up so stay over the bars and either don't stop on the pedals too hard or use a higher gear for more control. This applies to climbing through rock gardens too. For just about anything that require careful wheel placement I recommend using ECO or Trail and avoid Boost.

F*** it
    Mar 2014
    ^ Hey, just saw this... Sorry to hear about your health issues, but it's cool that you're still able to ride. I've suffered "ride hangovers" for a number of years; I need a day or two of rest after a decent ride. And a pinched nerve in my back has kept me off dirt for most of the summer. But I think about the Wire Peak and dream of better days!

^ Hey, just saw this... Sorry to hear about your health issues, but it's cool that you're still able to ride. I've suffered "ride hangovers" for a number of years; I need a day or two of rest after a decent ride. And a pinched nerve in my back has kept me off dirt for most of the summer. But I think about the Wire Peak and dream of better days!
    Thanks! I haven't been riding hardly at all. My wife is still racing enduros so when I go to an event I get all anxious and want to ride so bad. When I do ride I am so grateful for the Wire Peak. It allows me to get a quick ride in without suffering nearly what I would had I been on my old bike.