Wiki vs Abajo Peak- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Wiki vs Abajo Peak

Considering Fezzari for my first full suspension. Been riding for 3 years on a Airborne Goblin Evo 29er hardtail which I enjoy alot. My trails in Central Tx get chunky at times with small climbs.

The Wiki or Abajo models caught my eye. Any opinions between these models? Are the components on the Abajo well worth the price difference? If there is an upcharge on Wiki to get 29 wheels, the Abajo may make more sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    $400 for the McQueen RCP fork alone is worth the upgrade. This fork has beat out Fox 34 performance elite and pike RCT3 in shootouts on Pinkbike. Itís a very undervalued fork and rides amazing! You also through in NX Eagle 1x12 over shimano 1x10 on top of that too and itís a killer deal. Either bike are pretty good deals, but if you can spring the extra $400 itís well worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Tcwashers, good info. I wasnít familiar with that fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Tcwashers, thanks for the input here. I saw a Fezzari at my local DFW trail(Northshore) and wish I'd stop the guy to talk him up about his Fezzari. Instead, I spoke with a Canyon owner. The direct model has a growing market share (brother bought a YT over the holidays) and my first full suspension will like be from a direct company.

What caught my eye about Fezzari was the positive comments in the Bike Magazine review about La Sal Peak, specifically the pedaling efficiency and the progressive rear end and small bump suppleness.

While I don't expect the Abajo Peak to perform as well as s $4.5K+ La Sal Peak with considerably different geometry, what I'd like to know is how you'd characterize the pedaling platform and responsiveness of the Abajo's rear end. Having no FS experience, I can't differentiate how much of the ride feel is your suspension design vs the rear shock spec. From what I can read, the fork up front is a real performer. My current Stache 5 has a Manitou Machette Comp with less travel and less sophisticated damper. But I'm quite happy with it when combined with low pressure 29x3.0. I'm thinking I'd like a more playful 27.5+ bike. I'm curious to know how you'd describe the Abajo Peak. Thx in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TXPABIKER View Post
    Tcwashers, thanks for the input here. I saw a Fezzari at my local DFW trail(Northshore) and wish I'd stop the guy to talk him up about his Fezzari. Instead, I spoke with a Canyon owner. The direct model has a growing market share (brother bought a YT over the holidays) and my first full suspension will like be from a direct company.

What caught my eye about Fezzari was the positive comments in the Bike Magazine review about La Sal Peak, specifically the pedaling efficiency and the progressive rear end and small bump suppleness.

While I don't expect the Abajo Peak to perform as well as s $4.5K+ La Sal Peak with considerably different geometry, what I'd like to know is how you'd characterize the pedaling platform and responsiveness of the Abajo's rear end. Having no FS experience, I can't differentiate how much of the ride feel is your suspension design vs the rear shock spec. From what I can read, the fork up front is a real performer. My current Stache 5 has a Manitou Machette Comp with less travel and less sophisticated damper. But I'm quite happy with it when combined with low pressure 29x3.0. I'm thinking I'd like a more playful 27.5+ bike. I'm curious to know how you'd describe the Abajo Peak. Thx in advance.
    It's great to hear you are getting out and riding. I love that you are doing research to be sure you get the best bike for you.

The suspension kinematics of the Abajo Peak are indeed different from the La Sal Peak. However, the same procedures and priorities we put into the La Sal Peak also went into the Abajo Peak, we just tailored it a bit to the trail category vs enduro category. The rear end has a nice progressive suspension curve to make sure the small bump compliance is there off the top, but it feels longer travel than 130mm when the trials get rough. The anti-squat values are just over 100% to make sure there is a supportive pedaling platform, and in the higher gears that falls away as you get deeper in the travel to reduce the amount of feedback the drivetrain gives on the suspension on bigger hits. The shorter 434mm chain stay length (432mm in 27.5+ position) allow the bike to handle a bit quicker in switch backs and tight terrain. The short CS was one of the priorities we had on this bike and took some work to achieve to also allow for the bigger tire clearance.

I personally think the Xfusion products are very underrated. We take spacing our bikes very serious to be sure they work as a complete system. We are building a complete bike, not just a frame and them putting pretty components on it.

While the LA Sal Peak may out perform the Abajo Peak in some areas, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better performing full suspension bike at the $2k price point than the Abajo Peak.

I hope that help. Let me know if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the detailed response. I was able to attend a RockyMountain demo day here in Dallas, TX today and got out on the Pipeline (27.5+) for about 40min. I found the smaller wheel size to feel lighter under body (side-to-side), but not quite as sharp as my Stache. The 27.5+ had a similar feel in the corners and the travel felt quite supple.

If the Wiki and Abajo have similar kinematics/feel, then I think I'd be quite happy. When I'm ready to go to a FS bike, I believe your Love It/Return It takes the risk out the equation. Just wish I had an immediate need to pull the trigger on one of those President Day Sale Cascade Peak bikes. That looks like an awesome deal. All the best and I hope you guys get more press in 2019.