The New Guy- Mtbr.com

Thread: The New Guy

mtbr member
    May 2020

The New Guy

Hi, I'm new here from North Carolina. Just ordered a Cascade Peak 29er and the anticipation is about to kill me waiting on it to arrive! For $3k, none of the big box bikes (Giant, Trek, Specialized) in this area come close. Local Trails are starting to open up again so its going to arrive just in time!

mtbr member
    How do you like your bike? I have a Cascade Peak on order.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I only got mine a few weeks ago and haven't been get more than a road few miles on it. Not enough time to get to a trail after work and been busy or rainy on days off. I'm comparing it to a 20ish year old Cannondale hardtail. A 29 on an XL frame seem huge compare to the 26.5 on a large frame. The first hundred feet felt like I just learned to ride. So yeah, it's a night and day difference. But now I really want to try and put some trail miles on it.

Build quality seems very high. I didn't find any loose hardware or poor looking workmanship. Paint was nice (even came with touch up paint!). Mounting the dropper remote was a challenge (it's doable, find a 3rd hand to make it easier)

I am on the larger side 6'2" and 280 lbs, I had to add a bit of air to the shocks. I expected it to be heavier (Not really that concerned on what it weighs). Gearing seems a little low for me, after some trail time i'll see if a larger chainring is warranted. I was concern with my mass that the brakes might be an issue, but they can slow me down and I still have a reserve. I would have prefered Shimano's with a firmed feel (I may try bleeding them, but I think that's just how they feel).

mtbr member
    May 2020
    i love it. Ive got about 300 miles on it so far. No squeaks or creaks or rattling. Best bike ive ever owned

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I finally got a ten mile ride on it this weekend. No issues. I do have a lot to learn and figure out with finding where I should set the shocks and what tire pressures to run. Nice to have the ability to tune and change settings, but does take some time to dial it in.

I also realized that I probably be putting a larger chainring on. I really have no use for the lower 2 or 3 gears and would like to have a higher top end when the road or trail levels out. This is with me being pretty out of shape, as I get more fit I can see even less use of those gears. Now i just need to figure out how much larger to go and at what point to I need to start adding links to the chain.