Need help deciding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Need help deciding

First of all let me say hello, and that I'm glad I found this forum.

I'm looking to get back onto the trails after quite some time (coming of a hardtail Fisher), and would like to get a new bike. I found Fezzari researching options and was impressed by what I've been reading about their warranty and support.

Most of my riding will be on flowy stuff around home, at least initially, but I'd like plenty of bike as my confidence and experience grows. (Sierra Nevada's are pretty close and seems like they'd be a fun place to play.) My budget is around $4500.

I'm torn between the Cascade, Signal, and La Sal, and can only get one. Here's kindda what I'm thinking about each:

La Sal-Seems to be getting great reviews, with some saying it could be a good all rounder. I like what I hear about the more upright seating position (Less back fatigue?). I realize its a bigger bike and probably has more travel than what I need.

Signal-In e-mailing Fezzari, one of their recommendations was the Signal. Lighter, more playful, faster, but I'm concerned about the shorter travel, and I'm not super interested in XC.

Cascade-Nice bike, seems well equipped, though not carbon. I'm trying to get too hung up on carbon, but I don't want to wish that's what I would've gotten months down the road.

I'll apologize in advanced for the newb questions. I'm just interested in the opinions of those that ride Fezzari.

Thank you in advance.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    There are so many great options out there. I am currently riding the La Sal Peak. It is a great bike and I have nothing but praise for it. I did a demo on the Signal Peak and now have one of those on order. I have no experience on the Cascade Peak. Between the two I would say you will really enjoy the Signal Peak. The 120 rear travel is very capabable and the bike is light and very fun to play around on.

If your going to go hammer huge descents through the worst terrain the La Sal is your bike. That being said it does climb very well. The suspension like the Signal Peak tracks over everything well.

Good luck with your decision. If you are coming off a hardtail the Signal Peak will probably feel like plenty of travel for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks so much for your advice. I think I get in the weeds to much with specs, components, etc. I think sometimes I should just get something and ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Unless you're gonna do enduro type stuff I'd get the Signal Peak.

It's very confidence inspiring for a 120mm bike, yet won't slow you down on the flats & climbs.

I'm not quite 5' 10" and on a large with a 60mm stem. It is just super stable at speed, going downhill and when it gets in the air. The geometry is spot on IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm more of an enduro rider, but I have an enduro bike (Smash 29, soon to be a Shred Dogg 27.5), so I bought a Signal Peak to replace a hard tail that I was using for XC and non technical after work rides.

So the three bikes are on a curve, the SP is an all around bike but more geared to XC riding, you can push it to jump and get rowdy, but the HTA is kinda steep and it is only 120mm travel out back. I run mine with a 140mm Pike which increases it's usability range, but it's not an enduro bike. It climbs well and it handles well for what it is. I'd ride a Signal Peak for an epic all day ride where I'm doing a lot of climbing, emphasis on efficiency, comfort, and overall ride quality.

The Cascade Peak "could be" a mid range bike, but the geometry is not that different from the Signal Peak. Cascade Peak has 66.4deg HTA with a 140mm fork which is nearly the same as my Signal Peak with a 140mm fork. The aluminum frame is functional, but it'll be heavier by 2#; of course it's less expensive too. You do get an additional 10mm rear travel and the STA is steeper than the SP with the same fork. It'd be a good place holder to advance your skills without breaking your bank, ie a stepping stone between your hardtail and a La Sal.

The La Sal is a big jump up in geometry and travel from the Signal Peak, essentially an all mountain bike for riding trail. Reviews are good, no one is complaining about how it climbs, reviews overall are good. It is carbon, so lighter. It'd work for most anything, definitely a slacker, stabler, and more rowdy inclined bike that the SP or CP.

Not knowing what you ride or how you ride, it's hard to say which one would suit your needs best. I lean toward extreme riding, steep and technical, rock gardens, natural terrain features, so for me the Signal Peak is not enough bike for my techical rides. If I had to have one bike for everything I'd get the La Sal because I'd rather have too much bike than not enough. The problem is, the La Sal is a lot of bike to haul around for XC riding, not too much, just more, so you will work harder to climb. But when not climbing, the La Sal will be a nice for everything else.

Where do you live and what trails do you ride?
    How long do you ride? What's the longest and steepest climbs you do?
    Do you ride fast, jump off features, wear pads and a full face, crash a lot because you're getting rowdy?
    What bikes do you ride now and in the past?

Edit: so I reread your post, sounds like you're in California, riding flow trails now, but want to step it up. Do you get air? Can you manual, wheelie, hop, whip, throw hips?

Coming from a hardtail that I suspect is older, the Signal Peak will be a huge step up in comfort and performance. Get a longer travel fork and it'll be a good platform to advance your riding. The La Sal is honesty going to feel crazy big and tall coming from a hardtail, it might be too much bike, whchc could slow down your progression. Depending on how fast you want to progress; read as how much you want to get hurt, if you got a Signal Peak now and you learn fast and ride hard, you should expect to get a different bike (like the La Sal) in a couple years.

If the Cascade Peak was a 140/130 travel carbon frame with geometry closer to the La Sal, I'd suggest the Cascade Peak straight away, it would be enough bike without being too much bike. Maybe that'll be the next bike they develop?

If you're progressing from intermediate to advanced riding and expect to ride in and around Tahoe on mild tech and flow trails like the Donner Rim Trail, then the Signal Peak would be fine. If you want to ride more technical stuff like Mr Toads Wild Ride, you need a bike like the La Sal.

I might take my Signal Peak down Mr Toads, but I'd walk a lot more stuff cuz I don't relish going over the bars, but the up climb would be easier than on the La Sal. If I was riding the Donner Rim Trail which is a shuttle and has very little climbing, I'd happily take either bike, but the La Sal would be more fun.

If I was doing an epic from Stagecoach at Heavenly to Luther Pass, thirty plus miles of mixed terrain with a ton of climbing, I'd take the Signal Peak and just take it easy on the techy stuff. If I was a young man; I'm over fifty, I'd take the La Sal cuz I wouldn't care about kiling myself on an epic

Donner Rim Trail:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QroMrkF9sQ

Mr Toads:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLOz4i2GYhw

If you get over to Carson/Reno, hit me up and you can check out my Signal Peak.

Long post cuz it's slow at work, sorry
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 02-27-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thank you again to all.

wfl3. I'm not quite 5'9", so were close on height. How to do feel seated on the Signal? I feel way over the front wheel on the bike I'm coming of (though it has a long stem 115mm length and looks to be about 30deg. of rise). Hard on the hands and lower back. A lot has changed.

I'm measuring all the geometry on the old one now so I can get a better picture of how things work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The position on the bike is really good, I prefer to be over the pedals on a bike (years of being a roadie) and the newer geos are really addressing that with steeper ST angles. If anything I'd prefer an even longer front and a shorter stem, but this is longer than my large Czar (90mm stem) or large Flux (70mm stem). I feel like the shorter stem really helps the steering on a 29er.

My back can't handle the full on XC racerboy position anymore (52 y/o) and I tend to do more endurance type riding and races now anyway. I'm not fully upright, but in a really comfortable position. My longest ride on the SP so far is 52 miles with about 3600 ft of climbing and I didn't even start noticing any back issues until sometime after 40 miles and it wasn't bad then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Nurse Ben

Don't apologize for the length of your post. Awesome info. I believe a google search led me to your Signal build post, thus leading me to sign up.

I'm kind of treating myself as a newbie right now. I'm 46, when I bought the Fisher I was 20 something and could absorb a bit more. I'd love to be be riding techy stuff within 6-8 months, sounds fun. Climbs I'm going to admit aren't my forte, nor do I want them to be, however I know it comes with the territory. Just not gonna be my focus. I'd like to learn the tech stuff, get out and see new county, and fitness. Air'd be fun, protective gear totally good with (a bit of my background: been in EMS and fire service for 29+ years. I value protective gear).

So to the bikes.

Cascade: Well equipped aluminum. If they offered a carbon I'd be all over it. Still not a bad bike. I've read posts where a good aluminum well equipped is better than having a carbon frame with lesser components.

Signal: Wish Fezzari would build it with 130-140 of travel

La Sal: Bigger, maybe heavier. But OK. Maybe with 27.5's?

I'm sure anything I get will be a huge improvement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    wfl3

What kind of trails do you ride?

Because I'm considering myself a newbie I'm gonna say I'm exploring my possibilities. That said, I doubt I'll take the risks I did 20 years ago. I'd like to learn and ride tech. Some air might be fun. Cant afford to get to busted up though

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    wfl3, Nurse Ben, & gryeti

Thanks for your help. I gotta be honest, I was hesitant to post being 46yo. You folks have helped alot and inspired me.

As of now, leaning Signal Peak either "comp" or "elite"

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I'm just gonna ask.

I found these two bikes last night at the end of my shift (slow shift) only because I thought I shouldn't focus one one brand, even though I have. I don't know anything about Jenson or their builds, customer service, or warranty stuff. I'm still planning on Fezzari.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Ibis-Mojo-...on-Spec-B-Bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Only FL trails so far, it will see some NC / Pisgah trails in the fall hopefully.

My "home" trail Graham Swamp is built & maintained by guys that like jumps and obstacles (lotta MX guys) and is one of the best rides in the NE FL area. We have no elevation, so it's all short, steep, punchy climbs - usually with some stuff to avoid. They get the most out of the ridges available. I'm not really a jumper, too many bad crashes, but I've been letting it rip on all the launches except the road gap and I may even try to clear that before too long. I've never felt this comfortable in the air before, but I always have those crashes in the back of my mind - plus we've had a couple of guys flown out in the last year. It's pretty common to see someone walking out holding an arm or just all bloodied up.

Couple of guys I ride with that maintain the trails, this was from about 3 years ago when the place was a bit tamer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ix1PLZ8L30

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    no one has mentioned the abajo peak? just wandering as I am looking at one of these

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnbike View Post
    no one has mentioned the abajo peak? just wandering as I am looking at one of these
    The Abajo, Cascade, and Wiki all have the same frame; at least based on geo. What differs is the parts and color.

They don't look bad, just aluminum, 2# heavier than carbon, too similar to the Signal Peak, too different from the La Sal.

But if you want to spend less and get more bang for your buck, and don't care about weight, then the Abajo/Cascade is a good choice. At some point I suspect they'll come out with a medium travel carbon frame to replace these bikes, it'll probably be a 130-140 travel, steep HTA, longish reach.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Wfl3 and Nurse Ben

Thanks for the videos. Thatís exactly where Iíd like to be (probably not Toads at least for awhile)

Iím pretty stoked. Got a email from Fezzari. They said theyíll put 140mm suspension on the Signal, just waiting on pricing.

So think Iím gonna do the Signal with 140, blue (though wish I could find some better pics than on the website. Greens pretty cool just donít think I wanna be that bright) 29er.

Thanks to all for your advice

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The blue is nice, dark and flat, looks really good in person.

The green is shiny and it really shows the undercoat when it chips.

Quote Originally Posted by bc4570 View Post
    Wfl3 and Nurse Ben

Thanks for the videos. Thatís exactly where Iíd like to be (probably not Toads at least for awhile)

Iím pretty stoked. Got a email from Fezzari. They said theyíll put 140mm suspension on the Signal, just waiting on pricing.

So think Iím gonna do the Signal with 140, blue (though wish I could find some better pics than on the website. Greens pretty cool just donít think I wanna be that bright) 29er.

Thanks to all for your advice
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Ordered!!!

Signal Peak Elite
    Fox Performance 140mm upgrade
    Blue. 29

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice!

I think youíll enjoy the Signal Peak, itís a really nice bike, light, efficient, comfortable.

Ordered!!!

Signal Peak Elite
    Fox Performance 140mm upgrade
    Blue. 29
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm gonna piggy back on this post since it looks like OP has their answer!

I'm probably in the market for an XC bike primarily to do Leadville 100 MTB and Silver Rush 50 this year as well as all of my front range trails the rest of the time (I live in Denver). I don't have any experience with full suspension so this is all fairly new to me. I have a 30lbs hardtail now which I may ride for both but it's fun to explore options.

Basically, am I going to hurt myself at Leadville with the Signal Peak by trying to get more of an all around bike? I'm confident it can tackle everything else I would want. If sag is an issue on climbs then I can always throw a lockout on it too, right? I'd be looking at the Signal Peak Comp as that's about my max budget at $3k.

I feel like I'm overthinking this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is your hardtail XC geometry?

The Signal Peak is a pretty good climber, no need to lock out the shock unless you like be bounced as you ride.

Iíd step up to the Elite model which gets you the Fox SC suspension, Stans wheels, and GX drivetrain. The Reba ainít bad, nor is the Monarch, but they arenít that great either. NX drivetrain is okay, but youíre hub driver will be Shimano splines, not XD, which might be a issue down the road.

But $1000 is some coin, so get what you can afford.

How about a frame up build with your hardtail for donor parts?

The
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaineikans View Post
    I'm gonna piggy back on this post since it looks like OP has their answer!

I'm probably in the market for an XC bike primarily to do Leadville 100 MTB and Silver Rush 50 this year as well as all of my front range trails the rest of the time (I live in Denver). I don't have any experience with full suspension so this is all fairly new to me. I have a 30lbs hardtail now which I may ride for both but it's fun to explore options.

Basically, am I going to hurt myself at Leadville with the Signal Peak by trying to get more of an all around bike? I'm confident it can tackle everything else I would want. If sag is an issue on climbs then I can always throw a lockout on it too, right? I'd be looking at the Signal Peak Comp as that's about my max budget at $3k.

I feel like I'm overthinking this.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Agreed!!! Scrape up the extra for the Elite up front. You get a LOT for that money - better fork/shock, better groupset, better wheels, better bars/stem and a dropper post to boot.

Probably not the "best" bike for something like Leadville, but it will be fine there and you'll probably have a lot of fun on it. It climbs efficient enough for me that I never even think about locking it out. Great bike for just hitting the trails and going fast tho.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks guys, more to consider! My HT is a 2012ish Rockhopper Pro 2x10 so it wouldn't be ideal to swap parts into a newer modern frame I think.

I don't need the bike for another month or two as we'll still be getting snow so that gives me time to mull things over and looked used locally too. I think the Signal Peak is my ideal bike though from everything I've seen.

mtbr member
    This hit a couple of days ago from Bike Magazine...

https://youtu.be/ppCuBL8Lgeg

Seems to be a positive take on the Signal Peak from Bike Magazine. What I like is their comments at 1:30... basically, most folks buy and ride bikes that are mid-travel mountain bikes. That seems to be an honest assessment of where the Signal Peak fits in and why it and similar bikes are probably great for a large segment of mountain bikers.

Good luck with your research and purchase!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Surprised he mentioned that he thought it wasn't the most advanced suspension for climbing and that it bobbed quite a bit without the climb mode engaged. They rarely say anything negative ... and the SP is supposed to be the good climber compared to the LP. They basically share the same suspension design, right? I don't recall any mention of that in their glowing vid review of the LP. Odd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks for the link. I'm excited about it. Though I too was curious about the pedal bob.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I leave mine wide open all the time (I do the same with my dw-link bikes) and it doesn't slow me down at all. In fact, I'm posting faster times on a lot of rides now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Pedal bob? I hadnít noticed any.

Iíve tried Pro Pedal as well as locking the shock, but it made no difference in efficiency though it did make the ride quality a little harsher.

Iím not sure Iíd trust that video review, seemed kinda hokey, but then what do you trust?

Demo, buy, return,
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My suspicion is the shock wasn't dialed in.
    Yeti SB150 - Dental Apprentice Edition w/ AXS XX1 and Reverb
    Fezzari Signal Peak Custom Build

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, so pedal bob, not something I've really noticed as being a problem on modern bikes because they all mostly have good designs, also it's easy enough to adjust the shock to minimize bob. Though lockout isn't ideal, it'll work if needed, so to say that even locked out there was bob, I'm really hesitant to understand how that makes sense. Maybe the bob was in the fork or perhaps a mismatch in the shock to fork setup. Having a one end too stiff or too soft can cause feedback.

I have ridden suspensions that tended to compress/sag under load, that just weren't all that supportive, DW comes to mind in that regard, then there's the suspension designs that don't seem supple enough/too firm, GG comes to mind. I'd prefer supple for a downhill bike and firm for a climber, either is a compromise, no bike works well for everything.

I just swapped back to 29" wheels, so I'll be riding the SP in that set up for the duration, gotta start getting in shape for endurance rides; 27.5 are back on my Smash, but will move to the Shred Dogg when it arrives.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Perhaps expectations of climbing ability with LP were lower so it wasn't as noteworthy or as important? The more XC a bike is designed, the more people expect a bike to climb well.

Of course, strong legs help a lot in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Surprised he mentioned that he thought it wasn't the most advanced suspension for climbing and that it bobbed quite a bit without the climb mode engaged. They rarely say anything negative ... and the SP is supposed to be the good climber compared to the LP. They basically share the same suspension design, right? I don't recall any mention of that in their glowing vid review of the LP. Odd.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I wonder about this, too, on many of the bikes tested where it's "first ride" and not a long term review. Maybe these guys know how to dial in position and suspension set up on a completely new bike in a single day, but for me on any new bike it takes a while... which is why I'm not a fan of renting mtb's.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleKinColorado View Post
    My suspicion is the shock wasn't dialed in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I take days, sometimes weeks to get a bike dialed, and I know what Iím doing. On my Smash I went through three shocks and three forks till it felt as good ďas it getsĒ.

On the SP Iíve played with settings front and rear, cockpit set ups, changing the flip chip, and Iíve ridden with both 27+ and 29.

^ this takes a lot of time and effort.

So yeah, a short ride trail ride is not much better much better than a parking lot demo,; good enough to gauge potential but not good enough to assess limitations.

Could any of us know a bike like these reviewers claim to know a bike, from a single ride? I respect long term reviews, but the linked review from Ryan Palmer and Bike Mag is garbage.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Out with old in with the new. Lovin it. Wish it had a tad more standover clearance, but I can live with it.

Couple small issues I gotta talk with Fezzari about:

Chain looks to rubbing the frame near the axle when in the highest gear.

Derails pretty badly when pack pedaled (half turn or less) or when the wheel is moved backwards (Moving around the garage). Sounds like might be a common problem though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help deciding-bikes.jpg  

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Out with old in with the new. Lovin it. Wish it had a tad more standover clearance, but I can live with it.

Derails pretty badly when pack pedaled (half turn or less) or when the wheel is moved backwards (Moving around the garage). Sounds like might be a common problem though.
    What year is your old bike? That is a great photo to see how things have changed! What drivetrain are you running? The backpedal problem is rare so there must be an easy fix for it. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I haven't had the back pedal issue with any of the hodge-podge drivetrains I've tried so far. I'm running 1x11 with the stylo boost cranks, DT boost hubs w/ XD driver, XTR shifter & XT derailleur.

Using a SRAM 10-42 cassette with the stock Stylo chainring and shimano 11sp chain shifted fine and I could back pedal no problem. The chain was very close to the frame on the 10t cog. No change to any of that when I swapped the chainring to a garbaruk oval.

I tried to swap in an E13 9-46 cassette I had with the above config and the 9t cog was a no go with the 11sp chain - it rubbed. Haven't tried it with a 12sp chain yet.

Currently running a garbaruk 10-46 XD cassette with the garbaruk oval chainring (30t) and a GX 12sp chain and this works well for me and runs smooth. Can back pedal all cogs except the 46t - it will derail in about one revolution.

My Flux with full X01 Eagle can back pedal any gear without issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The clearance is tight on the smallest cog, I've got a small brass washer that gives me a 1/2mm more spacing, just enough to prevent rubbing.

I'm running a GX11sp with an E13 9-46 cassette, kinda wonder if the chain rub is due to the slightly wider 11sp chain; perhaps they designed it for the 12sp chain?

I have no issues backpedalling in all gears. I'm using a non offset 26t chainring.

You might want to check derailleur alignment, that would explain multiple gear issues that can't be corrected with adjusting cable tension.

EDIT: For the rubbing issue, it might be worth trying a 12sp chain; narrower OD, same ID.

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 03-20-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    The Fisher is probably early mid nineties. Honestly I cant remember.

As far as the drivetrain, it should be as Fezzari lists it:
    -cassette: SRAM XG-1275 GX 10-50 Eagle
    -Chainring: SRAM X-sync 2 EAgle 32T
    -Chain: GX Eagle 12 speed

They told me on the phone its common issue with 12 speed 1x, and not much can be done about it. I'm not sure its a huge deal as I can barely pedal the thing fast enough to keep the bike upright in the lowest gear. It is kindda bothersome though.

I have to say Fezzari has been great to deal with. They're swapping out Fox Float DPS for the Float Factory (small cost, but good of them to do). Doesn't look like it'll be too hard to swap out.

Question for you that have Fezzari. I washed the bike the other day, no high pressure, just rinse/wash/rinse. When I took the bike off the stand I noticed about half a quart of water drain from the BB area. Have you encountered this? Is it a concern? I'd hate for the BB to get rusted/corroded in there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    GX Eagle 12sp has issues, sorry.

As for the water, the only ports are the cable routing, so I wouldn't be spraying water at the frame.

Honestly, keeping your bike clean is all about aesthetics, dirt doesn't hurt anything other than stanchions, so you're probably better off wiping the bike down with a dry cloth or just leaving it dirty.

The Fisher is probably early mid nineties. Honestly I cant remember.

As far as the drivetrain, it should be as Fezzari lists it:
    -cassette: SRAM XG-1275 GX 10-50 Eagle
    -Chainring: SRAM X-sync 2 EAgle 32T
    -Chain: GX Eagle 12 speed

They told me on the phone its common issue with 12 speed 1x, and not much can be done about it. I'm not sure its a huge deal as I can barely pedal the thing fast enough to keep the bike upright in the lowest gear. It is kindda bothersome though.

I have to say Fezzari has been great to deal with. They're swapping out Fox Float DPS for the Float Factory (small cost, but good of them to do). Doesn't look like it'll be too hard to swap out.

Question for you that have Fezzari. I washed the bike the other day, no high pressure, just rinse/wash/rinse. When I took the bike off the stand I noticed about half a quart of water drain from the BB area. Have you encountered this? Is it a concern? I'd hate for the BB to get rusted/corroded in there.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    No worries. Thanks for the advice. May look at some different drivetrain combos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    GX Eagle 12sp has issues, sorry.
    What issues does GX 12 Speed have? I'd heard the early versions had a steel deraileur cage that would bend but I thought they changed that out for an alloy cage now.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new bike and really don't want to replace the drivetrain right away.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    12sp is finicky, must be adjusted accurately, spacer tool required for adjusting, not hard to do, but not something you can do on the trail. Also sensitive to drop out alignment.

I wouldn't avoid it, more bikes are running it, but I'm not running it because it's a pain in the arse and I'm fine with 11sp.

For the longest time I ran Sunrace wide range cassettes, changed to XD drivers so now I run e13 which works fine.

The more gears we run, the more finicky the shifting, 10sp was more robust than 11sp, and so on.

Buy a derailleur alignment tool if you're prone to crashing.

Quote Originally Posted by llll Hate llll View Post
    What issues does GX 12 Speed have? I'd heard the early versions had a steel deraileur cage that would bend but I thought they changed that out for an alloy cage now.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new bike and really don't want to replace the drivetrain right away.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)