Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions

Now that there is a Fezzari section I figured I would start a page for the La Sal Peak. Let's see your La Sal Peak's. Also feel free to ask questions and share thoughts and experiences.

Here's my XL Elite build. I had them set it up tubeless and also added the deluxe frame protection. I've got 3 rides on it so far. I'm really happy with it. It's a really solid bike that pedals and climbs well even with the shock full open. The suspension is well balanced. The steering and handling of the front end is awesome. It actually tracks and turns very well even in the slow stuff. I think it has a lot to do with the shorter offset fork. I've ridden it on some longer climbs and fast flowy downhills as well as tighter technical more cross country trails. For me it does it all well. I think this could be a good "one bike" for a lot of people given their terrain and riding style permits a longer travel 29er. I'm in the Pacific Northwest for reference.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Are those pictures of you at Tiger?
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Pending: Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Are those pictures of you at Tiger?
    This is at Raging River, just to the East of Tiger.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thatís the new place, right?

We moved to Carson City from Wenatchee the summer before last, miss Tiger, but donít miss the cold and dark.

Ever get up on Angels Staircase? Thatís a nice bike for that ride.
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

mtbr member
    Sub'd.
    Trying to get my buddy to buy one.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thatís the new place, right?

We moved to Carson City from Wenatchee the summer before last, miss Tiger, but donít miss the cold and dark.

Ever get up on Angels Staircase? Thatís a nice bike for that ride.
    Yes, it's the new place. The area used to be, and still is, referred to as exit 27. I've never ridden the exit 27 "illegal" trails though.

I have lived within 30 minutes of tiger for 35 years and rode it for the first time about 2 months ago. That ride down NOTG on my Trance is what made me start looking at a bigger more capable bike. I've mostly just ridden the trails near me in Black Diamond.

I had to look up Angel's Staircase. That looks like an all day or possibly a weekend ride?

I've got a short job tomorrow up north. I'm thinking about throwing my bike in my rig and hitting up Galbraith for the first time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Sub'd.
    Trying to get my buddy to buy one.
    What's he riding now and what kind of terrain do you guys ride?

mtbr member
    He's riding my old stumpy evo. We ride in the Cascades too, so similar terrain to you but we do a lot of backcountry "epic" type rides like Angels Staircase.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Right on. I'm super happy with mine. I think it's a great bike for this area. I was worried it may be too much bike for the majority of my rides, but I haven't really found anywhere that I've wished I had my Giant Trance back.

Ariolimax columbianus
    5th or so ride in.....nuthin but smiles. Price to grin to ride ratio ticks all da boxes for me so far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That canít be the wet side of Washington state, the skies are blue and it ainít summer yet!

I swear, we leave the state cuz itís cold and dark, then the weather warms up and the skies are sunny,

It was a trick!!

Angels Staircase is a day ride, lots of climbing and lots of descending. The La Sal would be a good bike for that ride.
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

Ariolimax columbianus
    @Nurse Ben if you mean my post that's sunny overpriced CA! sun was out, dirt was brown and moist in the redwoods. that picture was from yesterday in the Santa Cruz mountains at Soquel Demonstration State Forest, Monterey Bay in the background.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    That canít be the wet side of Washington state, the skies are blue and it ainít summer yet!

I swear, we leave the state cuz itís cold and dark, then the weather warms up and the skies are sunny,

It was a trick!!

Angels Staircase is a day ride, lots of climbing and lots of descending. The La Sal would be a good bike for that ride.
    We've had some surprisingly lucky weekends here on the westside. It rains during the week and decent on the weekends. Still wet muddy trails at times. I think I've only missed 4 or 5 weekends riding since August. On all those other weekends I think I've only gotten rained on 3 or 4 times.

I made it up north to Galbraith finally.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    5th or so ride in.....nuthin but smiles. Price to grin to ride ratio ticks all da boxes for me so far.
    Nice! Looks good. I was really close to going with the green. Trails look perfect!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    How do you guys like it for a little more short punchy kinda stuff. I live in Michigan but travel to Arkansas and the UP so the extra travel would be nice compared to the signal. My local trails are up and down constantly.
    Thanks for any help
    -dan

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by evanofd View Post
    How do you guys like it for a little more short punchy kinda stuff. I live in Michigan but travel to Arkansas and the UP so the extra travel would be nice compared to the signal. My local trails are up and down constantly.
    Thanks for any help
    -dan

I've got a few rides on some trails that are constant ups and downs. I have no issues with it. So far for me it's doing great everywhere. I am a bigger guy at 6'3" though, so I think proportionately a bigger bike just fits me well.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 05stroker View Post
    I've got a few rides on some trails that are constant ups and downs. I have no issues with it. So far for me it's doing great everywhere. I am a bigger guy at 6'3" though, so I think proportionately a bigger bike just fits me well.

Perfect. I'm 5'10 and 210 lbs so trying to find bikes that climb well and don't blow through travel or ride like crap is super hard. Found this bike randomly, priced it out, and it seems perfect after all the reviews online and seeing y'all talk about it

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Perfect. I'm 5'10 and 210 lbs so trying to find bikes that climb well and don't blow through travel or ride like crap is super hard. Found this bike randomly, priced it out, and it seems perfect after all the reviews online and seeing y'all talk about it

This bike definitely doesn't blow through its travel. It pedals well even with the shock fully open. You can get out of the saddle and crank up short punchy climbs without a bunch of pedal bob. The rear suspension is progressive enough towards the middle and end to keep from bottoming out, yet supple in the beginning to soak up rocks and roots. I think it's a good balance of support throughout the travel really.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    How do you think it would fare with a coil? I know they offer an MRP coil and I am contemplating seeing if they'll let me upgrade to that suspension package even though it's not an option for the comp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    There is a guy with the screen name MTBEU here that put one in his. He said he really likes it. The MRP hazard has a progressive spring option. I'm definitely curious to try one.

mtbr member
    How do you think it would fare with a coil? I know they offer an MRP coil and I am contemplating seeing if they'll let me upgrade to that suspension package even though it's not an option for the comp.

It is amazing with the MRP coil. I have a bunch of rides on the La Sal with it, biggest benefit youíll get is traction. Corners and plows through the chunk so awesome. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBEU View Post
    It is amazing with the MRP coil. I have a bunch of rides on the La Sal with it, biggest benefit youíll get is traction. Corners and plows through the chunk so awesome. I love mine.

How does it pedal in the open mode? I like that I can leave the Super Deluxe open and not mess with the climb switch. Do you get anymore pedal bob with the MRP?

Also, just curious in case I decide to get one, what spring rate are you running and how much do you weigh? I'd like to try and get the right spring the first time.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Thanks for any help
    -dan

surprisingly rad for me too. low speed tech like log ride skinnies, check. punchy steep climb (gettin anaerobic), apex is a funky log with other logs piled next to it on both sides, check. fast down, into rutted rock garden, into g-out, back up steep rocky climb w/roots thrown in, take the hard line. climbing out of a creek bed, off camber, multiple lines, holds a line up off camber sections (at least w/the awesome traction the other day). w/the big wheels and momentum it just kinda floats over obstacles once you get it goin. too bad it's rainin this weekend!

Moderator Moderator
    Look what the FedEx man dropped off yesterday. Elite with a Ribbon coil up front.

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-img_20190130_154611.jpg

Even came with a nice note on the box, everyone say "awwww."

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-img_20190131_090748.jpg

Excellent packing job

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-img_20190130_150707.jpg

My only gripe, and it's very, very small in the overall scheme of things, is that the front brake hose and dropper cable need to be shortened to appropriate lengths. No biggie, I can do that myself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Look what the FedEx man dropped off yesterday. Elite with a Ribbon coil up front.
    How long did it take to receive from the time you put in the order? Currently waiting for my LSP. Pretty excited!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Awesome! I've heard good things about the Ribbon coil. Let us know how it rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bull_dozer View Post
    How long did it take to receive from the time you put in the order? Currently waiting for my LSP. Pretty excited!
    Ordered mine on a Wednesday and it showed up the following Thursday. I received an email from FedEx the Tuesday before it showed up with shipping info.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bull_dozer View Post
    Ordered 12/28, arrived 1/30. They told me @ a month, which they said was 2 weeks longer than usual since I ordered a 41mm offset on the Ribbon and MRP has to make those. I told them to take their time, I wasn't in a hurry.

Moderator Moderator
    Awesome! I've heard good things about the Ribbon coil. Let us know how it rides.

Yeah, after messing with and modifying air shocks for the last couple of decades, I'm happy to be back on a coil. Nothing more than driveway rides in yet, I'm looking forward to getting it dialed in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yeah, after messing with and modifying air shocks for the last couple of decades, I'm happy to be back on a coil. Nothing more than driveway rides in yet, I'm looking forward to getting it dialed in.
    I hear ya. I'm pretty happy with the Super Deluxe and Lyrik so far, but I'm really thinking about trying that MRP Hazard rear coil shock though.

Moderator Moderator
    I hear ya. I'm pretty happy with the Super Deluxe and Lyrik so far, but I'm really thinking about trying that MRP Hazard rear coil shock though.

I was on the fence with putting a coil on the rear as well, but decided to start with the SD and see how it goes. IME, because of the leverage ratio, if you run bearings in your rear shock and have it tuned well, it'll be pretty darn supple. In a fork though, it's night and day and only gets worse between rebuilds. With such a new bike too, I want to see what other people think after riding it with a coil before I commit. May work well, may not, may need a progressive spring, may not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I took my La Sal to Tiger Mountain for the first time yesterday. I went up and rode OTG down, then cut across a couple trails and then down East Bound and Down (EBAD). The bike handled it all very well. Tiger has some pretty technical sections and this bike gave me all the confidence I needed to get down. I did swap out the bars, it came with 20mm rise Raceface Turbine R's. I put some Renthal 40mm rise Fatbars on with some ODI grips. Feels much better for me. I was having too much fun rallying down the mountain and didn't take any pics. So I took one when I got home. All covered in mud.

I went out today on some xc trails and still shocked how well this bike does everything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    OTG is a fun trail, good test for a bike like the La Sal.
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    OTG is a fun trail, good test for a bike like the La Sal.
    I agree, it was a blast. I little wet and slippery to up the intensity yesterday too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Took my new LSP out for the first time today - really awesome bike! Really liking the steep STA and how the bike climbs. I cleared certain climbing sections today that I had NEVER cleared previously. Super impressed! Felt really stable on the descents too. Looking forward to getting some more riding time in and playing with the suspension settings, etc.

mtbr member
    Anyone consider, or currently, running this in the 27.5+ mode? I was pretty firmly set on getting an aluminum GG Shred Dog this spring, but with the roll-out of their new models, that's put the LSP at the top of the list in the + mode. I'm already running a 150/130 mm + bike that I like. The new Shredd Dog seems, well, nerfed, and close enough to what I'm now running to make a change pointless.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Moderator Moderator
    If I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd consider a 27.5 wheelset with 2.8"s for bushwacking. Which I do from time to time laying out trails, and a buddy I ride with can ride trail-less sideslope on 3" minions that I can't come close to managing on 2.5's. Other than that, I don't really need anything bigger than 2.6". There's a ton of clearance, so why not if that's what you like to ride?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'd totally get a 27.5 wheelset for your La Sal!

I've got Signal Peak with 29 x 2.6 and 27.5 x 2.8 wheelsets, currently running the 27.5 for snow duty, which really changes the character of the bike, makes it much more of a trail ripper.

Maybe Fezzari could make you a deal on a second wheelset?
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How is the La Sal for non downhill, non 6+ft drops etc type of riding? Is it a capababke single track / trail type of bike or is it really just enduro / downhill type of bike? My riding is almost all single track and trail level stuff. No super climbing, no 3000 foot elevation changes etc. heck not even a 300 foot elevation change. So no bonbing down mountains etc.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    How is the La Sal for non downhill, non 6+ft drops etc type of riding? Is it a capababke single track / trail type of bike or is it really just enduro / downhill type of bike? My riding is almost all single track and trail level stuff. No super climbing, no 3000 foot elevation changes etc. heck not even a 300 foot elevation change. So no bonbing down mountains etc.

Thanks
    That's a tough question to answer. It's kind of a preference thing. What are you riding now? And what got you looking at the La Sal Peak? I've ridden mine on XC type trails and it does great. My local trails just got hammered by snow so I took the family on a ride down the pavement bike path in town. I still had fun bunny hoping over piles of snow and trying to manual.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Anyone consider, or currently, running this in the 27.5+ mode? I was pretty firmly set on getting an aluminum GG Shred Dog this spring, but with the roll-out of their new models, that's put the LSP at the top of the list in the + mode. I'm already running a 150/130 mm + bike that I like. The new Shredd Dog seems, well, nerfed, and close enough to what I'm now running to make a change pointless.
    I have both wheelsets. Itís amazing in 27.5+.

mtbr member

Damnit. Thanks. Ka-ching $!$!

mtbr member

Do they sell it as a 27.5+ option?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Do they sell it as a 27.5+ option?
    Yes, in the check out process you pick which size wheels you want it to come with. There's a flip chip in the lower shock mount to switch back and forth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Would any of you that have the bike, mind taking a closeup picture of the lower shock link??

I'm interested in getting this bike and I have a DB Coil IL that I would like to use as a second shock but Im not sure it would fit with the chip set in low.

Most of the pictures i see online are from the side so its hard to see what kind of clearance is in there.

I'm looking at the pictures with the X2 and it looks pretty snug. The DB coil IL is wide at both ends so it may clash with the link.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yes, in the check out process you pick which size wheels you want it to come with. There's a flip chip in the lower shock mount to switch back and forth.

I'm getting really, really close to doing this. If anyone can think of any reason not to, speak up. When my wife kills me for getting another bike, I'm going to blame all of you for not stopping me.

EDIT: Too late for help. Order placed. I must be doing something right, because my wife didn't bat an eye.

They were out of the olive color, have a cement 27.5+ comp on order.
    Last edited by watermonkey; 02-27-2019 at 07:34 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    When you look on their website, how do you know what brakes, bars, saddle, dropper post, etc. that come with each build? I donít see that listed anywhere or even as selectable options.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TermiLVR7 View Post
    When you look on their website, how do you know what brakes, bars, saddle, dropper post, etc. that come with each build? I donít see that listed anywhere or even as selectable options.

When you are looking at all the uilds at once there's a button to" see full build". If you hit that it will show you the build for every one

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey - this might seem like an odd question, but Fezzari is claiming that Bikerumor named the La Sal Peak the bike of the year, but I can't find evidence of this on Bikerumor's website... anyone seen that? Don't get me wrong - I own and love the bike, but that's quite an accolade - I'd just like to see it backed up...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by powderturns View Post
    Hey - this might seem like an odd question, but Fezzari is claiming that Bikerumor named the La Sal Peak the bike of the year, but I can't find evidence of this on Bikerumor's website... anyone seen that? Don't get me wrong - I own and love the bike, but that's quite an accolade - I'd just like to see it backed up...
    It might be this??

https://bikerumor.com/2018/12/13/bik...es-gear-picks/

mtbr member
    The pic below is looking down on the rear triangle of my large La Sal Peak, 27.5+, Maxxis 2.8 recons on i35 wtb rims. There be gobs of room for meatier tires if one was so inclined. Don't think I'll be taking this beyond the 2.8 though. I am curious as to how fat of a 29er will fit in here.
    Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-la-sal-peak-27.5-rear-clearance.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I am curious as to how fat of a 29er will fit in here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	La Sal Peak 27.5+  rear clearance.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	1242133
    29x2.6" will fit in the rear on a 30mm internal width rim.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post

Thanks
    I've tested many of the new steep seat angle, long travel bikes. They are best going downhill at warp speed. Seated climbing are not their specialty because most of these bikes will be pedaled slowly uphill then at incredibly fun speeds on descents and twisties. I'd hate to spend hours upon hours and 10,000 feet climbing on any steep STA, slack front end, 140mm+ bike. Look at the effective toptube for the most important geometry spec for your needs pedaling on flat terrain. You'll feel like a monkey humping a football.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I am seriously considering a LSP as my next bike. The only thing holding me back is a clear answer to this question. I ride a mix of terrain with most of my riding on rocky, rooty singletrack with short, punchy climbs. Stroker05 says that he enjoyed the bike on xc trails, westin thinks riding this bike on flat trails is like a desert romance. Actually I couldn't really understand westin's comment so I will try asking the question in a different way. Does anyone from the northeast own a LSP? If so, how do you like it on your local singletrack?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    I agree with this guy's review.

I also live in the west and am a fan of long travel bikes, they suit my local terrain. It might be too big of a bike for you though based on where you ride? Hard to say.

I don't agree with Westin, but what do I know? I just own one. It takes a bit to get used to the seat angle, since it was a big change from my last bike, but it's fine on flat/rolling terrain.

mtbr member
    I too like this review, and in fact it was one of the factors that led me to finally make the purchase of the LSP in 27.5+. The shots he showed of punchy, techy, rolling terrain he alluded to in Moab, St. George and Hurricane is the exact type of riding I love to do - on these same trails when we visit family in St. George, and we hit Moab regularly. Thanksgiving riding on Gooseberry Mesa on my other 27.5+ is when I decided I was getting a new ride, either a GG Shredd Dog, or the LSP (both with really steep seat angles). I've only a few short rides on this - currently dodging weather systems trying to get to somewhere between Grand Junction and Moab in the next 3-4 days to get a better feel, but so far I'm digging it. As soon as the terrrain pitches up, at all, the geometry makes total sense for climbing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the review and feedback. The comments about popping the front end over rocks addressed my primary concern. I am ok giving up some maneuverability to get more capability to handle the bigger features and reduce the pounding. I hope to find an opportunity to demo a process 153 29er before making my final decision.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey Stu. Where are you located? There are a couple of us on Long Island that have LSPs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Pidassle View Post
    I am seriously considering a LSP as my next bike. The only thing holding me back is a clear answer to this question. I ride a mix of terrain with most of my riding on rocky, rooty singletrack with short, punchy climbs. Stroker05 says that he enjoyed the bike on xc trails, westin thinks riding this bike on flat trails is like a desert romance. Actually I couldn't really understand westin's comment so I will try asking the question in a different way. Does anyone from the northeast own a LSP? If so, how do you like it on your local singletrack?

Where are you located Stu? There are a couple of us on Long Island that have LSPs that you can demo if you'd like?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the offer, I am in Mass. LMK if you are ever in the Boston area. I did find this review from a fellow Masshole https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...KxgoVS6UK50_5D

Very promising if I learn how to use a dropper.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the offer, I am in Mass. LMK if you are ever in the Boston area. I did find this review from a fellow Masshole https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...KxgoVS6UK50_5D

Very promising if I learn how to use a dropper.

Stu, thanks for the link to the review.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    If you are on the fence about buying this bike I would say go for it! It has been one of the most fun bikes I have ever ridden. Pedals well descends really well! I bought the frame and fork only and built it up. I think the short offset fork makes a difference in how well the bike handles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-img_0855.jpg  

Last edited by gryeti; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gryeti View Post
    Attachment 1244157

If you are on the fence about buying this bike I would say go for it! It has been one of the most fun bikes I have ever ridden. Pedals well descends really well! I bought the frame and fork only and built it up. I think the short offset fork makes a difference in how well the bike handles.
    No pic?

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    No pic?
    Sorry about that. I just fixed it. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice! It doesn't look like you are having issues getting behind the saddle in the photo.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Nice! It doesn't look like you are having issues getting behind the saddle in the photo.

No issues at all for me. I do not even think about it.

I have been riding it in the 27.5+ setting with 29 wheels. It actually climbs better for me over the chunk here in AZ as I have more pedal clearance. I guess I give up a little on the downs with this setting but I might leave until the bike parks open up. It is great having the option to try out different settings.

mtbr member
    Just got home from camping and riding 4 days in Fruita on my 27.5+ La Sal Peak, Comp build. We hadn't been to 18 road in several years, so just set up camp there, missed the storms and crowds, and rode multiple times a day. As everyone in the family was transitioning onto new to them bikes, camp was more like a race pit, parts were flying between bikes, tire sizes swapped, stems exchanged, bars switched out, saddles moved, droppers swapped between bikes, suspension tokens added, removed, etc. 18 road is perfect for this, as the laps are short and fun (and fast) and its easy to assess changes made. While there's not a lot of techy stuff there (especially compared to lunch loops and the Mary's loop complex nearby), there's enough to get bike fit dialed and suspension set up, and depending on the trail you're riding at the minute, plenty of really steep punchy climbs and descents...and the ability to rack up as many miles as you're non-seasoned nether regions can handle on a saddle this early in the season.

Here's my take on the La Sal Peak 50+ miles of singletrack later. I did not make a mistake getting this bike. It climbs better than anything I've rode before, is nimble enough for tight and slow speed climbing, and descends ridiculously well.

Someone mentioned prior about not being able to get behind the seat. Stock, mine came with a 125mm dropper (why? who knows). For the first few days, I did actually find that the saddle was in the way, and affected my ability to move around on the bike - both side to side and fore aft. Once I switched over to a 160 mm dropper, the bike really came alive. It still takes more effort to get the front end up, but it is way easier with the longer dropper - and I suspect this will come with more miles and modified technique. Truly my only complaint.

I did run 27.5 x 3.0's on this, but its totally overkill and unnecessary. The Maxxis 2.8's (which we all know are smaller than that) were absolutely perfect. I did not like the skinnier 2.6's I tried for a run, but I'll take girth over circumference any day - so likely will not try the 29 x 2.6 route.

I did find myself flipping into climb (trail?) mode on the the Super Deluxe RC3 for extended climbs, as I was experiencing more pedal bob than I'm used to on my other bikes, but haven't been on a horst link in a while - no complaints, and as I said, this thing climbs better than anything else I've been on.

I've fought knee issues for the last couple seasons, and limped my way through ski seasons with a meaty knee brace. I come to expect a sore knee after several days of riding, especially when making lap after lap after lap. This was not the case this year, ever. I hoped that the steeper seat tube angle would provide for better pedaling ergonomics for my knee, and I suspect that this is exactly what I experienced.

The geometry of the this bike is really eye opening for me. So much so, that I moved my 11 year old son from his small framed full suspension to a large frame (same model of full suspension bike - so size was the only difference), reversed the seat clamp on the dropper so the saddle is really far forward (looks goofy) and put a really short (30mm) stem on the front.....basically trying to copy the steep seat tube angle long reach of the Peak. In the morning, he rode his small framed bike. After lunch, he rode the "modernized" large frame set up for him. He dropped his mom and I on the climbs like nothing I've ever seen before. For those of you that have been to 18 road, if you know the entrance climb into Chutes and ladders at the top of Prime cut, you know its a steep s.o.b. My son had been trying to clean that for the entire trip - first time on the "new" geometry and he cranked it out. There's definitely something to this.

Anyway, long story short - awesome bike. Might be hard for the mere mortal to do super trialsy things on, but I love it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So you spun the dropper 180 degrees so the offset is forward? Iíve wanted to do this to correct the actual seat angles on so many bikes. I thought I might run into a problem where the seat itself would be nose up on some posts. You didnít have this problem? The adjustability was good enough?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by powderturns View Post
    So you spun the dropper 180 degrees so the offset is forward? Iíve wanted to do this to correct the actual seat angles on so many bikes. I thought I might run into a problem where the seat itself would be nose up on some posts. You didnít have this problem? The adjustability was good enough?
    Yep - offset is forward. Its an older Crank Brother's Joplin - surprisingly still running strong. These can be reversed, without any angle issues. Looks hella goofy. Plus, on these old Joplins, you can cut off about 2.5" inches from the bottom to help with insertion depths, especially for kids. Getting droppers that are short enough with short enough stroke for kids that really ride is a problem, especially on most full suspension bikes these days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Someone mentioned prior about not being able to get behind the seat. Stock, mine came with a 125mm dropper (why? who knows). For the first few days, I did actually find that the saddle was in the way, and affected my ability to move around on the bike - both side to side and fore aft. Once I switched over to a 160 mm dropper, the bike really came alive. It still takes more effort to get the front end up, but it is way easier with the longer dropper - and I suspect this will come with more miles and modified technique. Truly my only complaint.
    Great write-up. For reference how tall are you, and what size bike you got??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apolonios View Post
    Great write-up. For reference how tall are you, and what size bike you got??

5'10" when I'm not slouching, 31" ish inseam, riding a large frame, 160 mm Crank Brothers highline dropper post, set 1 1/2 plus inches above the collar, so its not buried...I have room to work with.

Another note...seatpost is slipping down, afraid to crank on the qr seat clamp anymore, it being a carbon frame. I'm assuming this is a good application for fiber grip? Please advise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    @watermonkey

Fiber grip/paste should fix that. I dumped the stock QR and got a BikeYoke clamp on my Signal Peak and it holds really good.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kloz76 View Post
    Hey Stu. Where are you located? There are a couple of us on Long Island that have LSPs.
    You guys with LSP in the northeast, how do you like it? Im concerned the 78 degree seat angle is going to shift my weight too far forward. Did you have to change how you ride so you dont get pitched over the bars?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    @watermonkey

Fiber grip/paste should fix that. I dumped the stock QR and got a BikeYoke clamp on my Signal Peak and it holds really good.
    second that - that's actually one of the few weak points on the spec. it shouldn't come with a quick release...

mtbr member
    Finally got both a day off and a weather window to line up. Home trails are drying out, upper trails still snowy, muddy, closed for critical winter habitat for the rest of the month. Tons of snow left up high - gonna take a while.

The bike is ridiculous. So very fun, both going up and down. Its just soooo easy to pedal uphill, I can't get over it. Rode from home to the trailhead, 2 miles at most, but usually, this early in the season, the road climb sucks. Not today, it just didn't matter. Spin away, smile on the face, up, up you go. No kidding, I felt both young (which I'm not) and light (also, not). Damn this thing is fun.

Oh yeah, 3 water bottles mounts is awesomeness. Outside bottle crammed with CO2's and inflator, 27.5 tube, tire lever, quick link, band aids, and something else that I can't remember. Multi tool with chain tool, puncture plugger + bacon strips, spare contact lense, and cell phone in stem bag. 2 water bottles enough for 2 hours and 10+ miles. First ride in many a year without a pack.....love it.

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-lsp-3-bottles-.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    I agree, the steep seat tube angle has been a revelation for me. I was expecting it to rip on the downs, and it does, climbing is just... easier. A more efficient position really. I find no downside to it, the bike is fine on the flats and rolling terrain, with the seat up or down.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Another good review. Ive been on the fence about ordering one of these. That 78 degree seat tube angle has to have some drawbacks. Are you using mostly your quads when seated like that and not your hammies or glutes? Im a little worried how it might do in pedaly chunky terrain. Especially when you see something unexpected or goof up. Is it more likely to buck you?

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Another good review. Ive been on the fence about ordering one of these. That 78 degree seat tube angle has to have some drawbacks. Are you using mostly your quads when seated like that and not your hammies or glutes? Im a little worried how it might do in pedaly chunky terrain. Especially when you see something unexpected or goof up. Is it more likely to buck you?

The steep seat tube angle has no drawbacks that I can feel. The geometry is actually better on my lower back. I think Fezzari nailed it with this bike between the seat tube angle and the suspension. I have never ridden a bike that tracks up technical climbs so well.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Anyone 5'6" ride a small or med? Not sure what size to get. Im getting a frameset so its tricky. Anyone seen the matte green? Hows it look?

Moderator Moderator
    The steep seat tube angle has no drawbacks that I can feel.
    Same

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Anyone 5'6" ride a small or med? Not sure what size to get. Im getting a frameset so its tricky. Anyone seen the matte green? Hows it look?

I have seen the matte green and I really liked it. Either color is great. I am still happy with the gray.
    Im not much help on sizing but I am just over 5'9" on a large. I am usually on a medium but decided on the large with the steep seat tube. I really like the fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

https://www.fezzari.com/support/fit

Check out that link. It describes how to take the measurements they use to size their bikes and components. Give them a call and give them your measurements and see what they suggest. Their customer service is really good.

I'm 6'3" on an XL. My seat is about 2" higher than my bars without me on it. On technical ups and downs I've never had the sensation that I'm going over the bars or going to get bucked over the bars. I ride it on everything from xc type trails to all mountain type stuff. Also plan on taking it to Whistler this summer. I haven't found anywhere that I'm not happy with it.