Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 61 of 61
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70

    Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions

    Now that there is a Fezzari section I figured I would start a page for the La Sal Peak. Let's see your La Sal Peak's. Also feel free to ask questions and share thoughts and experiences.

    Here's my XL Elite build. I had them set it up tubeless and also added the deluxe frame protection. I've got 3 rides on it so far. I'm really happy with it. It's a really solid bike that pedals and climbs well even with the shock full open. The suspension is well balanced. The steering and handling of the front end is awesome. It actually tracks and turns very well even in the slow stuff. I think it has a lot to do with the shorter offset fork. I've ridden it on some longer climbs and fast flowy downhills as well as tighter technical more cross country trails. For me it does it all well. I think this could be a good "one bike" for a lot of people given their terrain and riding style permits a longer travel 29er. I'm in the Pacific Northwest for reference.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,673
    Are those pictures of you at Tiger?
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Are those pictures of you at Tiger?
    This is at Raging River, just to the East of Tiger.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,673
    Thatís the new place, right?

    We moved to Carson City from Wenatchee the summer before last, miss Tiger, but donít miss the cold and dark.

    Ever get up on Angels Staircase? Thatís a nice bike for that ride.
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,519
    Sub'd.
    Trying to get my buddy to buy one.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Thatís the new place, right?

    We moved to Carson City from Wenatchee the summer before last, miss Tiger, but donít miss the cold and dark.

    Ever get up on Angels Staircase? Thatís a nice bike for that ride.
    Yes, it's the new place. The area used to be, and still is, referred to as exit 27. I've never ridden the exit 27 "illegal" trails though.

    I have lived within 30 minutes of tiger for 35 years and rode it for the first time about 2 months ago. That ride down NOTG on my Trance is what made me start looking at a bigger more capable bike. I've mostly just ridden the trails near me in Black Diamond.

    I had to look up Angel's Staircase. That looks like an all day or possibly a weekend ride?

    I've got a short job tomorrow up north. I'm thinking about throwing my bike in my rig and hitting up Galbraith for the first time.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Sub'd.
    Trying to get my buddy to buy one.
    What's he riding now and what kind of terrain do you guys ride?

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,519
    He's riding my old stumpy evo. We ride in the Cascades too, so similar terrain to you but we do a lot of backcountry "epic" type rides like Angels Staircase.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Right on. I'm super happy with mine. I think it's a great bike for this area. I was worried it may be too much bike for the majority of my rides, but I haven't really found anywhere that I've wished I had my Giant Trance back.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Ariolimax columbianus
    Reputation: nativeson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,481
    5th or so ride in.....nuthin but smiles. Price to grin to ride ratio ticks all da boxes for me so far.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,673
    That canít be the wet side of Washington state, the skies are blue and it ainít summer yet!

    I swear, we leave the state cuz itís cold and dark, then the weather warms up and the skies are sunny,

    It was a trick!!

    Angels Staircase is a day ride, lots of climbing and lots of descending. The La Sal would be a good bike for that ride.
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  12. #12
    Ariolimax columbianus
    Reputation: nativeson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,481
    @Nurse Ben if you mean my post that's sunny overpriced CA! sun was out, dirt was brown and moist in the redwoods. that picture was from yesterday in the Santa Cruz mountains at Soquel Demonstration State Forest, Monterey Bay in the background.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    That canít be the wet side of Washington state, the skies are blue and it ainít summer yet!

    I swear, we leave the state cuz itís cold and dark, then the weather warms up and the skies are sunny,

    It was a trick!!

    Angels Staircase is a day ride, lots of climbing and lots of descending. The La Sal would be a good bike for that ride.
    We've had some surprisingly lucky weekends here on the westside. It rains during the week and decent on the weekends. Still wet muddy trails at times. I think I've only missed 4 or 5 weekends riding since August. On all those other weekends I think I've only gotten rained on 3 or 4 times.

    I made it up north to Galbraith finally.



    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    5th or so ride in.....nuthin but smiles. Price to grin to ride ratio ticks all da boxes for me so far.
    Nice! Looks good. I was really close to going with the green. Trails look perfect!

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    35
    How do you guys like it for a little more short punchy kinda stuff. I live in Michigan but travel to Arkansas and the UP so the extra travel would be nice compared to the signal. My local trails are up and down constantly.
    Thanks for any help
    -dan

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by evanofd View Post
    How do you guys like it for a little more short punchy kinda stuff. I live in Michigan but travel to Arkansas and the UP so the extra travel would be nice compared to the signal. My local trails are up and down constantly.
    Thanks for any help
    -dan

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I've got a few rides on some trails that are constant ups and downs. I have no issues with it. So far for me it's doing great everywhere. I am a bigger guy at 6'3" though, so I think proportionately a bigger bike just fits me well.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by 05stroker View Post
    I've got a few rides on some trails that are constant ups and downs. I have no issues with it. So far for me it's doing great everywhere. I am a bigger guy at 6'3" though, so I think proportionately a bigger bike just fits me well.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Perfect. I'm 5'10 and 210 lbs so trying to find bikes that climb well and don't blow through travel or ride like crap is super hard. Found this bike randomly, priced it out, and it seems perfect after all the reviews online and seeing y'all talk about it

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by evanofd View Post
    Perfect. I'm 5'10 and 210 lbs so trying to find bikes that climb well and don't blow through travel or ride like crap is super hard. Found this bike randomly, priced it out, and it seems perfect after all the reviews online and seeing y'all talk about it

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    This bike definitely doesn't blow through its travel. It pedals well even with the shock fully open. You can get out of the saddle and crank up short punchy climbs without a bunch of pedal bob. The rear suspension is progressive enough towards the middle and end to keep from bottoming out, yet supple in the beginning to soak up rocks and roots. I think it's a good balance of support throughout the travel really.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    35
    How do you think it would fare with a coil? I know they offer an MRP coil and I am contemplating seeing if they'll let me upgrade to that suspension package even though it's not an option for the comp.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    There is a guy with the screen name MTBEU here that put one in his. He said he really likes it. The MRP hazard has a progressive spring option. I'm definitely curious to try one.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTBEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by evanofd View Post
    How do you think it would fare with a coil? I know they offer an MRP coil and I am contemplating seeing if they'll let me upgrade to that suspension package even though it's not an option for the comp.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    It is amazing with the MRP coil. I have a bunch of rides on the La Sal with it, biggest benefit youíll get is traction. Corners and plows through the chunk so awesome. I love mine.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBEU View Post
    It is amazing with the MRP coil. I have a bunch of rides on the La Sal with it, biggest benefit youíll get is traction. Corners and plows through the chunk so awesome. I love mine.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How does it pedal in the open mode? I like that I can leave the Super Deluxe open and not mess with the climb switch. Do you get anymore pedal bob with the MRP?

    Also, just curious in case I decide to get one, what spring rate are you running and how much do you weigh? I'd like to try and get the right spring the first time.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Ariolimax columbianus
    Reputation: nativeson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by evanofd View Post
    How do you guys like it for a little more short punchy kinda stuff. I live in Michigan but travel to Arkansas and the UP so the extra travel would be nice compared to the signal. My local trails are up and down constantly.
    Thanks for any help
    -dan

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    surprisingly rad for me too. low speed tech like log ride skinnies, check. punchy steep climb (gettin anaerobic), apex is a funky log with other logs piled next to it on both sides, check. fast down, into rutted rock garden, into g-out, back up steep rocky climb w/roots thrown in, take the hard line. climbing out of a creek bed, off camber, multiple lines, holds a line up off camber sections (at least w/the awesome traction the other day). w/the big wheels and momentum it just kinda floats over obstacles once you get it goin. too bad it's rainin this weekend!

  24. #24
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    Look what the FedEx man dropped off yesterday. Elite with a Ribbon coil up front.

    Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-img_20190130_154611.jpg

    Even came with a nice note on the box, everyone say "awwww."

    Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-img_20190131_090748.jpg

    Excellent packing job

    Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-img_20190130_150707.jpg

    My only gripe, and it's very, very small in the overall scheme of things, is that the front brake hose and dropper cable need to be shortened to appropriate lengths. No biggie, I can do that myself.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Look what the FedEx man dropped off yesterday. Elite with a Ribbon coil up front.
    How long did it take to receive from the time you put in the order? Currently waiting for my LSP. Pretty excited!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Look what the FedEx man dropped off yesterday. Elite with a Ribbon coil up front.
    Awesome! I've heard good things about the Ribbon coil. Let us know how it rides.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by bull_dozer View Post
    How long did it take to receive from the time you put in the order? Currently waiting for my LSP. Pretty excited!
    Ordered mine on a Wednesday and it showed up the following Thursday. I received an email from FedEx the Tuesday before it showed up with shipping info.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    Quote Originally Posted by bull_dozer View Post
    How long did it take to receive from the time you put in the order? Currently waiting for my LSP. Pretty excited!
    Ordered 12/28, arrived 1/30. They told me @ a month, which they said was 2 weeks longer than usual since I ordered a 41mm offset on the Ribbon and MRP has to make those. I told them to take their time, I wasn't in a hurry.

  29. #29
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    Quote Originally Posted by 05stroker View Post
    Awesome! I've heard good things about the Ribbon coil. Let us know how it rides.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, after messing with and modifying air shocks for the last couple of decades, I'm happy to be back on a coil. Nothing more than driveway rides in yet, I'm looking forward to getting it dialed in.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Yeah, after messing with and modifying air shocks for the last couple of decades, I'm happy to be back on a coil. Nothing more than driveway rides in yet, I'm looking forward to getting it dialed in.
    I hear ya. I'm pretty happy with the Super Deluxe and Lyrik so far, but I'm really thinking about trying that MRP Hazard rear coil shock though.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    Quote Originally Posted by 05stroker View Post
    I hear ya. I'm pretty happy with the Super Deluxe and Lyrik so far, but I'm really thinking about trying that MRP Hazard rear coil shock though.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I was on the fence with putting a coil on the rear as well, but decided to start with the SD and see how it goes. IME, because of the leverage ratio, if you run bearings in your rear shock and have it tuned well, it'll be pretty darn supple. In a fork though, it's night and day and only gets worse between rebuilds. With such a new bike too, I want to see what other people think after riding it with a coil before I commit. May work well, may not, may need a progressive spring, may not.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    I took my La Sal to Tiger Mountain for the first time yesterday. I went up and rode OTG down, then cut across a couple trails and then down East Bound and Down (EBAD). The bike handled it all very well. Tiger has some pretty technical sections and this bike gave me all the confidence I needed to get down. I did swap out the bars, it came with 20mm rise Raceface Turbine R's. I put some Renthal 40mm rise Fatbars on with some ODI grips. Feels much better for me. I was having too much fun rallying down the mountain and didn't take any pics. So I took one when I got home. All covered in mud.

    I went out today on some xc trails and still shocked how well this bike does everything.



    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,673
    OTG is a fun trail, good test for a bike like the La Sal.
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    OTG is a fun trail, good test for a bike like the La Sal.
    I agree, it was a blast. I little wet and slippery to up the intensity yesterday too.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    86
    Took my new LSP out for the first time today - really awesome bike! Really liking the steep STA and how the bike climbs. I cleared certain climbing sections today that I had NEVER cleared previously. Super impressed! Felt really stable on the descents too. Looking forward to getting some more riding time in and playing with the suspension settings, etc.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,154
    Anyone consider, or currently, running this in the 27.5+ mode? I was pretty firmly set on getting an aluminum GG Shred Dog this spring, but with the roll-out of their new models, that's put the LSP at the top of the list in the + mode. I'm already running a 150/130 mm + bike that I like. The new Shredd Dog seems, well, nerfed, and close enough to what I'm now running to make a change pointless.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

  37. #37
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    If I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd consider a 27.5 wheelset with 2.8"s for bushwacking. Which I do from time to time laying out trails, and a buddy I ride with can ride trail-less sideslope on 3" minions that I can't come close to managing on 2.5's. Other than that, I don't really need anything bigger than 2.6". There's a ton of clearance, so why not if that's what you like to ride?

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,673
    I'd totally get a 27.5 wheelset for your La Sal!

    I've got Signal Peak with 29 x 2.6 and 27.5 x 2.8 wheelsets, currently running the 27.5 for snow duty, which really changes the character of the bike, makes it much more of a trail ripper.

    Maybe Fezzari could make you a deal on a second wheelset?
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    270
    How is the La Sal for non downhill, non 6+ft drops etc type of riding? Is it a capababke single track / trail type of bike or is it really just enduro / downhill type of bike? My riding is almost all single track and trail level stuff. No super climbing, no 3000 foot elevation changes etc. heck not even a 300 foot elevation change. So no bonbing down mountains etc.

    Thanks

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    How is the La Sal for non downhill, non 6+ft drops etc type of riding? Is it a capababke single track / trail type of bike or is it really just enduro / downhill type of bike? My riding is almost all single track and trail level stuff. No super climbing, no 3000 foot elevation changes etc. heck not even a 300 foot elevation change. So no bonbing down mountains etc.

    Thanks
    That's a tough question to answer. It's kind of a preference thing. What are you riding now? And what got you looking at the La Sal Peak? I've ridden mine on XC type trails and it does great. My local trails just got hammered by snow so I took the family on a ride down the pavement bike path in town. I still had fun bunny hoping over piles of snow and trying to manual.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTBEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Anyone consider, or currently, running this in the 27.5+ mode? I was pretty firmly set on getting an aluminum GG Shred Dog this spring, but with the roll-out of their new models, that's put the LSP at the top of the list in the + mode. I'm already running a 150/130 mm + bike that I like. The new Shredd Dog seems, well, nerfed, and close enough to what I'm now running to make a change pointless.
    I have both wheelsets. Itís amazing in 27.5+.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBEU View Post
    I have both wheelsets. Itís amazing in 27.5+.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Damnit. Thanks. Ka-ching $!$!
    I would advise not taking my advice.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CHROMAG19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBEU View Post
    I have both wheelsets. Itís amazing in 27.5+.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do they sell it as a 27.5+ option?

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Do they sell it as a 27.5+ option?
    Yes, in the check out process you pick which size wheels you want it to come with. There's a flip chip in the lower shock mount to switch back and forth.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    117
    Would any of you that have the bike, mind taking a closeup picture of the lower shock link??

    I'm interested in getting this bike and I have a DB Coil IL that I would like to use as a second shock but Im not sure it would fit with the chip set in low.

    Most of the pictures i see online are from the side so its hard to see what kind of clearance is in there.

    I'm looking at the pictures with the X2 and it looks pretty snug. The DB coil IL is wide at both ends so it may clash with the link.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by 05stroker View Post
    Yes, in the check out process you pick which size wheels you want it to come with. There's a flip chip in the lower shock mount to switch back and forth.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I'm getting really, really close to doing this. If anyone can think of any reason not to, speak up. When my wife kills me for getting another bike, I'm going to blame all of you for not stopping me.

    EDIT: Too late for help. Order placed. I must be doing something right, because my wife didn't bat an eye.

    They were out of the olive color, have a cement 27.5+ comp on order.
    Last edited by watermonkey; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:34 AM.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    63
    When you look on their website, how do you know what brakes, bars, saddle, dropper post, etc. that come with each build? I donít see that listed anywhere or even as selectable options.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by TermiLVR7 View Post
    When you look on their website, how do you know what brakes, bars, saddle, dropper post, etc. that come with each build? I donít see that listed anywhere or even as selectable options.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you are looking at all the uilds at once there's a button to" see full build". If you hit that it will show you the build for every one


    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    126
    Hey - this might seem like an odd question, but Fezzari is claiming that Bikerumor named the La Sal Peak the bike of the year, but I can't find evidence of this on Bikerumor's website... anyone seen that? Don't get me wrong - I own and love the bike, but that's quite an accolade - I'd just like to see it backed up...

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by powderturns View Post
    Hey - this might seem like an odd question, but Fezzari is claiming that Bikerumor named the La Sal Peak the bike of the year, but I can't find evidence of this on Bikerumor's website... anyone seen that? Don't get me wrong - I own and love the bike, but that's quite an accolade - I'd just like to see it backed up...
    It might be this??

    https://bikerumor.com/2018/12/13/bik...es-gear-picks/

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,154
    The pic below is looking down on the rear triangle of my large La Sal Peak, 27.5+, Maxxis 2.8 recons on i35 wtb rims. There be gobs of room for meatier tires if one was so inclined. Don't think I'll be taking this beyond the 2.8 though. I am curious as to how fat of a 29er will fit in here.
    Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-la-sal-peak-27.5-rear-clearance.jpg
    I would advise not taking my advice.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    I am curious as to how fat of a 29er will fit in here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	La Sal Peak 27.5+  rear clearance.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	1242133
    29x2.6" will fit in the rear on a 30mm internal width rim.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
    How is the La Sal for non downhill, non 6+ft drops etc type of riding? Is it a capababke single track / trail type of bike or is it really just enduro / downhill type of bike? My riding is almost all single track and trail level stuff. No super climbing, no 3000 foot elevation changes etc. heck not even a 300 foot elevation change. So no bonbing down mountains etc.

    Thanks
    I've tested many of the new steep seat angle, long travel bikes. They are best going downhill at warp speed. Seated climbing are not their specialty because most of these bikes will be pedaled slowly uphill then at incredibly fun speeds on descents and twisties. I'd hate to spend hours upon hours and 10,000 feet climbing on any steep STA, slack front end, 140mm+ bike. Look at the effective toptube for the most important geometry spec for your needs pedaling on flat terrain. You'll feel like a monkey humping a football.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    155
    I am seriously considering a LSP as my next bike. The only thing holding me back is a clear answer to this question. I ride a mix of terrain with most of my riding on rocky, rooty singletrack with short, punchy climbs. Stroker05 says that he enjoyed the bike on xc trails, westin thinks riding this bike on flat trails is like a desert romance. Actually I couldn't really understand westin's comment so I will try asking the question in a different way. Does anyone from the northeast own a LSP? If so, how do you like it on your local singletrack?

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  55. #55
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Harryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    I agree with this guy's review.



    I also live in the west and am a fan of long travel bikes, they suit my local terrain. It might be too big of a bike for you though based on where you ride? Hard to say.

    I don't agree with Westin, but what do I know? I just own one. It takes a bit to get used to the seat angle, since it was a big change from my last bike, but it's fine on flat/rolling terrain.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,154
    I too like this review, and in fact it was one of the factors that led me to finally make the purchase of the LSP in 27.5+. The shots he showed of punchy, techy, rolling terrain he alluded to in Moab, St. George and Hurricane is the exact type of riding I love to do - on these same trails when we visit family in St. George, and we hit Moab regularly. Thanksgiving riding on Gooseberry Mesa on my other 27.5+ is when I decided I was getting a new ride, either a GG Shredd Dog, or the LSP (both with really steep seat angles). I've only a few short rides on this - currently dodging weather systems trying to get to somewhere between Grand Junction and Moab in the next 3-4 days to get a better feel, but so far I'm digging it. As soon as the terrrain pitches up, at all, the geometry makes total sense for climbing.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    155
    Thanks for the review and feedback. The comments about popping the front end over rocks addressed my primary concern. I am ok giving up some maneuverability to get more capability to handle the bigger features and reduce the pounding. I hope to find an opportunity to demo a process 153 29er before making my final decision.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2
    Hey Stu. Where are you located? There are a couple of us on Long Island that have LSPs.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Pidassle View Post
    I am seriously considering a LSP as my next bike. The only thing holding me back is a clear answer to this question. I ride a mix of terrain with most of my riding on rocky, rooty singletrack with short, punchy climbs. Stroker05 says that he enjoyed the bike on xc trails, westin thinks riding this bike on flat trails is like a desert romance. Actually I couldn't really understand westin's comment so I will try asking the question in a different way. Does anyone from the northeast own a LSP? If so, how do you like it on your local singletrack?

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Where are you located Stu? There are a couple of us on Long Island that have LSPs that you can demo if you'd like?

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    155
    Thanks for the offer, I am in Mass. LMK if you are ever in the Boston area. I did find this review from a fellow Masshole https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...KxgoVS6UK50_5D

    Very promising if I learn how to use a dropper.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Pidassle View Post
    Thanks for the offer, I am in Mass. LMK if you are ever in the Boston area. I did find this review from a fellow Masshole https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...KxgoVS6UK50_5D

    Very promising if I learn how to use a dropper.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Stu, thanks for the link to the review.

Similar Threads

  1. Jeffsy, La Sal Peak, Ripmo or SB130?
    By oldsklrdr in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 12 Hours Ago, 07:19 AM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-10-2019, 07:55 AM
  3. La Sal Peak vs Fugitive
    By dmo in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2019, 07:26 PM
  4. Fazzari La Sal Peak - lesser quality frame for less money?
    By dmo in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-09-2019, 04:16 PM
  5. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 02:33 PM

Members who have read this thread: 204

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.