Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    So I just order my LSP yesterday. I've read in this thread that the seat post clamp is no bueno. What size clamp do I need? I've tried searching through this thread, but it's a lot to read through on mobile.

Also, I asked Fezzari about a first responder discount. They didn't necessarily have one, but they did give me a 50$ credit towards accessories. So I though that was cool of them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-20190903_121141.jpg

Here is the new Turquoise colour. I like it but I think seafoam or mint describes it better. So far I have enjoyed the ride. It can climb technical sections better then my Banshee rune but it feels slower to get going. I rode a section today that I've ridden probably 30 times. I was pushing myself harder then normal and I did beat a few of my times on Strava but only by 5-10 seconds. It just feels really slow to get moving. I'm not sure if maybe it's the rear tire 2.4 DHR 2 or if I'm just expecting a much bigger change switching from a 26 inch bike to a 29er. My legs also might just not be used to the different riding position yet. I've noticed it seems to use my glutes more.

I'll post some more pictures later. The build is SRAM brakes and suspension with XT 1x12 drivetrain, Enve rims with I9 101 hubs and they threw in an Enve bar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Voluble View Post
    So I just order my LSP yesterday. I've read in this thread that the seat post clamp is no bueno. What size clamp do I need? I've tried searching through this thread, but it's a lot to read through on mobile.

Also, I asked Fezzari about a first responder discount. They didn't necessarily have one, but they did give me a 50$ credit towards accessories. So I though that was cool of them.
    I picked up a 34.9 Wolftooth Components collar and it fits perfect.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    FWIW I added a bit of assembly friction paste to the seat tube before riding it and haven't had any slippage. The lever isn't very blingy but seems to work fine so far and easily comes off the clamp if you don't need it. I generally try to use minimum tension on adjustable seat post clamps and using the paste is key to keeping them in place. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190903_121141.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	536.0 KB 
ID:	1277241

Here is the new Turquoise colour. I like it but I think seafoam or mint describes it better. So far I have enjoyed the ride. It can climb technical sections better then my Banshee rune but it feels slower to get going. I rode a section today that I've ridden probably 30 times. I was pushing myself harder then normal and I did beat a few of my times on Strava but only by 5-10 seconds. It just feels really slow to get moving. I'm not sure if maybe it's the rear tire 2.4 DHR 2 or if I'm just expecting a much bigger change switching from a 26 inch bike to a 29er. My legs also might just not be used to the different riding position yet. I've noticed it seems to use my glutes more.

I'll post some more pictures later. The build is SRAM brakes and suspension with XT 1x12 drivetrain, Enve rims with I9 101 hubs and they threw in an Enve bar.
    For me it took a looong time to adapt to slinging 29" wheels up climbs and I'm still learning several years in. Slow cadence/steep climbing is a chore and spinning up for tech sections felt like jello for a couple years. 20+ years on 26" and there really was a learning curve and some reprogramming to feel like a strong climber again. Sweet bike!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    For me it took a looong time to adapt to slinging 29" wheels up climbs and I'm still learning several years in. Slow cadence/steep climbing is a chore and spinning up for tech sections felt like jello for a couple years. 20+ years on 26" and there really was a learning curve and some reprogramming to feel like a strong climber again. Sweet bike!
    The other thing I need to get used to is it is a little harder to get the front up when seated and due to that and me being used to my 26er accelerating faster I have ran into things 3 times that I normally do not and bagged myself on the stem...I might pick up one of those BMX stem guards until I adapt to the bike lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by llll Hate llll View Post
    I picked up a 34.9 Wolftooth Components collar and it fits perfect.
    I just got some cheap one on Amazon too. It was like a 3rd of the cost of the Wolftooth and does the exact same thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    I'm not sure. I have a request into RWC to see if they know what one fits, and also asked Fezzari to confirm what the size is. The thru pin for the lower shock mount measured 25.0 mm with my digital caliper. I only saw a 25.4 mm size kit listed on the RWC site. To confuse things more, there are bushing and thru pin kits out there (not from RWC) for Rockshox eyelets that are spec'd at 25.0 mm.

Installing a RWC kit on my other full suspension bike made a big difference - a ton of creaking was coming from this shock eyelet prior to installing the bearing kit.

Updates as I have them.
    Someone else has installed a Real World Cycling NBKRWC2540, 25.4 mm kit in their LSP, and RWC is relaying the info on that it fits. Parts ordered.
    New shock mount bolt and swing link on the way from Fezzari (warranty) to address play in the rear end. I'll update w/pics when all the parts are here.
    I had mad creaking coming from somewhere during pedaling, both standing and seated. I systematically worked my way from the saddle rail pockets to the bottom bracket, cleaning and greasing literally every single part, test riding, then moving onto the next locations (saddle, saddle clamps/bolts etc, dropper internals, seatpost clamp and hardware, all the suspension pivots and axles, from top to bottom, pedals and threads, bottom bracket, and finally chainring mount and mounting bolts). The creak was coming from the DUB bb. These have rather large plastic dust covers that double as bushings the cranks ride on - from somewhere in here, the creak was originating - greased with slick honey and a small, curved syringe tip the best I could. The bike is totally silent now, so much so, you can hear how terrible the chainline sounds on 12 speeds in the lowest gear.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Im thinking of ordering the RWC kit too. I have it on other bikes and its great. No creaks on my la sal though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Has anyone here set up their bike with a frame mounted pack? One that would fit farthest forward on the frame, stopping right in front of the shock mount or so is what I am thinking.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by YogurtProblems View Post
    Has anyone here set up their bike with a frame mounted pack? One that would fit farthest forward on the frame, stopping right in front of the shock mount or so is what I am thinking.
    I have an Blackburn outpost corner bag that fits pretty well in a large. It's not as big as you'd think, or I'd like, but it's handy to add a bit of storage. I only use it when I need it, it goes non and off in a snap.

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-img_20190604_114127.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    I have an Blackburn outpost corner bag that fits pretty well in a large. It's not as big as you'd think, or I'd like, but it's handy to add a bit of storage. I only use it when I need it, it goes non and off in a snap.
    That's actually the exact bag I ended up looking at. Seems like it fits fairly well, and I'd rather put all the little tools and backup things in there than in my pack, since I take them every ride anyway.

Thanks for the info and picture!

Moderator Moderator
    I like to snug it up into the upper corner, but it tends to slide down a little like droopy socks after riding a while. Things like that trigger one of my very few ocd tendencies. I might add in a Voile strap or two which should solve the problem. It's a nicely made little bag.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Can you send a pic of where you greased the BB slash guard. Mine is creaking on the right and it feels like itís in the BB/crank arm for sure on the right. Also my rear shock linkage kept coming loose. I noticed it when walking my bike up a steep hill I could hear it rattling as it bounce with no weight on it. Then I could repeat the sound by unloading the weight of the bike of the shock and I could see play in the rear shock mount. I hope it hasnít messed up my linkage for riding on I for a few miles being so loose.

mtbr member
    Fezzari has provided a warranty replacement swing link and shock mount bolt. They are installed, and I am happy to say that wherever the play was coming from in the rear linkage is now gone. Side by side, the original and replacement swing links looks the same, installed the same, but there's obviously a difference in tolerances somewhere - Thank you Fezzari. The bike feels really solid now.

As far as the RWC needle bearing kit for the rear shock mount, it didn't fit for me, on either swing link. For reference, the shocks on the LSP's are the newer metric size, and the thru axle width, both front and rear shock mounts, are 25.0 mm. The really close size, 25.4 (1 inch) is the width of the older Standard sizing of shock axles. The 25.4mm wide RWC kit prevented the flip chips from seating solidly in the swing link pockets they're designed to nest into. Full torque was achieved on the shock mount bolt, but the chips were still floating. As such, that extra width, .4mm, resulted in play. While physically, yes you can install this, and due to minor variations in production of the links themselves, it may appear to fit, but my guess is that over time will loosen up and the flip chips will wear away at the link pockets they sit in. To that end, I spent time slowly narrowing the width of the 25.4 mm thru axle down to just under 25.0 mm (caliper readings said 24.95, 24.97, and 24.97 mm). Upon reinstalling, all play was gone and there's now really, really smooth rotation. The width of the rubber seals inboard of the anodized seal collars seem to be able to accommodate the .4mm width decrease without binding, but I've yet to get a full ride in. Updates as I have them.

mtbr member
    I've got 7 rides in now on the new setup. The real world cycling kit is working great with my mods. RWC is looking into the kit's fit on my "spare" parts. I'm loving this bike now. I just can't stay off it. It's getting real pretty out there.
    Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-img_20190926_111710123.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anyone know of a rear mud guard that ffits the LSP?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    I've got 7 rides in now on the new setup. The real world cycling kit is working great with my mods. RWC is looking into the kit's fit on my "spare" parts. I'm loving this bike now. I just can't stay off it. It's getting real pretty out there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190926_111710123.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	1282335
    Glad you got the issues sorted. Chris at RWC is a great guy to work with, I'm looking forward to him figuring out what's going on, and then getting bearings myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    What were you riding prior to the LSP? Did you buy the LSP to replace it or to add a bike to the quiver?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTurtle View Post
    What were you riding prior to the LSP? Did you buy the LSP to replace it or to add a bike to the quiver?
    I had 2 bikes, a Cannondale Scalpel which I was using as a trail bike and a Pivot Mach 6 which I would mostly use for shuttle/park rides. I got the LSP to be my all around trail bike and move the Scalpel over to XC duty. My initial impressions from riding the LSP on local trails in Vegas and my trip to Mammoth is it can do 90% of what the others can do, which leaves me wondering when I'm really going to pull them out of the garage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    has anyone considered trying to long shock this bike? 210 x 60 maybe? seems like it could be a candidate for it considering the reports that it pedals so well already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

36t or 34t oval chainring?

Currently running a 34t chainring, but I would like to try a 34t oval ring. Anybody know if a 34 oval or 36 round (should be about the same as far as clearance) fits?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D2 View Post
    has anyone considered trying to long shock this bike? 210 x 60 maybe? seems like it could be a candidate for it considering the reports that it pedals so well already.
    It seems that travel in a 210 shock isn't available.
    FWIW Now that I've had this bike a few months it has been more versatile than I expected. A few bike park days, some fire road climbs single track and the ease of climbing. Steep dirt roads or tight uphill/downhill single track turns are shockingly easy. It also works really well on the bike park berms, not sure if it's the reduced offset fork or frame geometry but for a long wheelbase big bike is sure hides it well. Heading to Utah in a few weeks for some square edge rapid fire bumps for further testing!
    Last edited by Cat38; 12-10-2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: grammer

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by greedy View Post
    Currently running a 34t chainring, but I would like to try a 34t oval ring. Anybody know if a 34 oval or 36 round (should be about the same as far as clearance) fits?
    I just installed a 34t round chaingring on my bike when I upgraded to 12 sp shimano. Fits fine not sure if a 36 would fit with the smallest of shimano's chainline options.
    Fezzari La Sal Peak
    Trek Madone 9
    Trek Crockett
    Trek Fuel EX 9.8

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

170mm fork

Is anybody running a 170mm fork? Obviously youíll get .5 degree slacker angles and a slightly higher bottom bracket, but I would be much more interested in if thereís a discernible difference (positive or negative) in feel.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Is anybody running a 170mm fork? Obviously youíll get .5 degree slacker angles and a slightly higher bottom bracket, but I would be much more interested in if thereís a discernible difference (positive or negative) in feel.
    I am running my Lyrik at 170mm with a push coil. Bike still climbs great. No float on the front end at all on the steep uphills. I also put a coil the MRP Hazzard coil on the back last week. The bike is even more amazing with the coil. I don't think I will be going back to air anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    2nd ride on my new LSP and loving it but it needs help massively.
    Rear suspension is awful, worst I've ridden.
    It has to be my setup bit I'm baffled as to how it's that far off. I have one of the only X2 equipped LSPs I've seen and I think this might be the reason. Bike was set 30% sag at about 240psi. About 10 clicks of everything per fox's recommendations at my weight and pressure. I'm not one to really use guides but I figured it would be a good starting point. Bike felt fine in parking lot but like a rigid on the trail ,a super mello blue trail. Backed of the compression about clicks and it made a barely noticeable difference. Second ride I did was vorsprung recommend and set the HSC and HSR to min and maximum and then set the low speeds. Bike possibly felt worse. What blows my mind is I used 80% travel and was struggling to almost stay on the bike when I'd be lucky to encounter 5" Terrain . On my old bike I "slash 29" I wouldn't have spilled a latte. I road my freinds bike at the same time and it's aired up for him 50lbs heavier and it even felt massively more compliant. Any ideas as to what my issue is ?
    I'm 200 lbs geared up
    Bikes 30% sag at 240ish psi.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Iíve got an X2 as well, about 190lbs. I tuned with a shockwiz extensively and ended up at a much higher pressure than the fox guides with HSC/LSC full open and no volume spacers. Static sag is at about 26-27%. What I noticed is that at the lower pressures the bike would have too much dynamic sag and as I increased pressure it actually felt better.

Setup at 190lbs riding weight: 255psi, HSC/LSC open, HSR 7 from closed (full clockwise), LSR 7 from closed, 0 volume spacers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Iíve got an X2 as well, about 190lbs. I tuned with a shockwiz extensively and ended up at a much higher pressure than the fox guides with HSC/LSC full open and no volume spacers. Static sag is at about 26-27%. What I noticed is that at the lower pressures the bike would have too much dynamic sag and as I increased pressure it actually felt better.

Setup at 190lbs riding weight: 255psi, HSC/LSC open, HSR 7 from closed (full clockwise), LSR 7 from closed, 0 volume spacers.
    Thanks I'll give that a shot. Given the travel usage and harshness I was wondering if it was packing up, some air could help. X2's ways feel glacier slow to me but this is extreme.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    OK I've been lurking about and reading a LOT. I just got off the phone and ordered my LSP. It will be about three weeks for delivery (yuck) but ok, it is what i is and I got the black Friday pricing. So anyway, here are my questions and I am desperately hoping the group here can answer based on some things I am about to say.

First, I am 50. Once upon a time 25 years ago I was riding 200 miles per week between road and mountain bikes. I got a career, married, kids and fat. Ultimately split with the wife, raised the three kids on my own and got fatter. Spent the last 18 months losing a LOT of weight. When I say a lot I mean a lot. I wasn't enjoying life. Now I'm much much closer to being where I wanted to be, but still have a solid 50 lbs to lose. Fortunately, I am back on a bike. Starting this last summer, I was back on my old 2007 FSR Comp, but wow...that bike was so outclassed by the trail, and my skills are crap. I upgraded to a slightly used 2018 Trek Fuel EX 9.7. So, carbon bike (mostly) with better suspension. I upgraded to a Fox 36 front fork with 150mm of travel, the back is stock with the 130mm of travel in the Fox ReActive. Bike is a 29er.

So, I'm out riding my Northern California Trails pretty regularly now and doing 25-30 miles per week of pretty hardcore, somewhat technical (roots, rock gardens, 2 +foot drops,etc) with about 1000 feet of climb with every ride. Sections I had to walk back in July, I am enjoying the work of actually riding up. There are some uphill sections (two of them) I still have to walk, because I just don't have enough oomph to clean them.
    They are uphill, technical with rocks and roots, with a bend in the trail. I attribute my lack of climbing ability to both my lack of pure riding fitness as well as certain bike limitations related to travel and geometry. Obviously, the bulk of the issue is me, not the bike and I accept this...which is part of the reason I regularly ride!

Anyway, back to my bike. It's a great bike, (forgot to mention its a size medium) but the front is steeper and the seat slacker than I would prefer. Of course I didn't really know this when I bought it (lightly used) and started my upgrades. Carbon bars, better pedals, XO drivetrain, PNW dropper, etc. The bike was getting better while I was getting better. Still though, I lack a certain amount of confidence on the bike. My friends are all on Santa Cruz Megatowers and Hightowers and they are sailing over and down giant (like the size of your garage) granite rocks, while I am too afraid to do it. My primary reason for not going, is because I feel too big for the size medium bike. I feel very cramped in the cockpit and very "over the bars" feeling. Forgot to mention, I am 5-9, almost 31" inseam, 27.5" arms, 29" torso, 26" shoulder width and 262 lbs (yeah I know...please don't judge!) The trek just feels small. I demoed a size large Megatower and it felt AMAZING! What I really liked about this big bike, was the sloped down top tube that gave me TONS of standover clearance whole the size overall made me feel "in" the bike rather than "on" it. So, I am really concerned about the LSP because the specs show the medium with a 790 standover, and 795 for the large. By contrast, my trek is at 740 while the large MT in the high position is only 717?? Now, I cannot believe the bikes are this different because the seat still has to be the same height, so I cannot help but wonder if this different standover is relative to where on the frame/top tube this measurement is taken? Does anyone have photos of the LSP adjacent to any other bikes that I can see for comparison? Also, the reach of the large LSP is identical to the large MT. The stack is 4mm more than the MT. The Medium LSP stack is 13mm less and the reach is 25mm less. So...I LOVED the large Megatower fit. Am I going to hate the medium LSP fit? More importantly, am I going to hate the LSP because of the much bigger standover dimension?

Someone...anyone...I know this is a lot to take in but please help me! I am in the Sacramento CA area, if anyone near here has an LSP I could try!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Comparison on 99spokes.com for references

It's possibly just a weird measurement point, as there obviously shouldn't be much of a difference.

As a data point, I am 5'9", roughly same inseam as you, on a Large LSP. The big feels pretty much great to me, if maybe a bit big. Sometimes I wouldn't mind a smaller bike for whipping around and stuff, but I did expect that when I made the purchase. It's a 29er that is meant for ripping around and monster trucking over things.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thank you so much for the insight! How do you feel about the standover? Do you feel like it's up in your crotch or do you have room to breathe?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jafount View Post
    So...I LOVED the large Megatower fit. Am I going to hate the medium LSP fit? More importantly, am I going to hate the LSP because of the much bigger standover dimension?
    Keep in mind that you are newly getting back into riding without much experience with modern bikes, and the Trek was too small, so anything bigger would probably feel "right". Maybe the large is the right size for you in the MT, maybe it just felt like it because it had a longer reach than the Trek.

I'd trust that Fezzari is putting you on the correct frame size, if you hate it, you can always return it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    That's my problem. Fezarri said I'm so close based on my measurements to the large, that it comes down to preference. I'm certain everything else will feel right, I'm just concerned about standover. if I jump off the bike am I going to crush my tender bits?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    That's my problem. Fezarri said I'm so close based on my measurements to the large, that it comes down to preference. I'm certain everything else will feel right, I'm just concerned about standover. if I jump off the bike am I going to crush my tender bits?
    I just lower the dropper whenever I want to get off. Makes it easier and I don't worry about smashing my dangles trying to get on or off with the post all the way extended.

Not sure if that is considered poor form or not, but I haven't had a single issue with it. I figure the functionality is there, so I might as well use it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm some kinda freak. 6"0, 29" inseam . Large is great for me if that helps . No clearance issues and still can use 1up 180 dropper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Still really like this bike! I've had it about a year now and still digging it. A trail gnome installed a front derailer in the front chain ring on my last ride lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Derailleur hanger alignment hack

Maybe this is something everybody already knows, but if not I stumbled upon a super easy method of aligning the derailleur hanger. Get a bolt that fits the hole where the derailleur bolts onto the hanger (I think it is a M10 x 1.0 super fine, Loweís had one). Then thread your axle in from the outside. Use calipers to measure the distance between the axle and bolt at two points and bend the hanger using the bolt until they align. Sight along the axle from the top and bend as required to align fore/aft. Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-31db7bd3-b7cd-4e92-837e-375e91b7122b.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    i am also in the same category. WHen i ordered mine i was on the border of going up to a large and ultimately i went with the Med because my other bike was the same size. I did try a friend large (not fezzari) and it felt BIG...so i went with the Med and feel more comfortable with that size and got use to the seating position and steering feel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12