Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    So I just order my LSP yesterday. I've read in this thread that the seat post clamp is no bueno. What size clamp do I need? I've tried searching through this thread, but it's a lot to read through on mobile.

Also, I asked Fezzari about a first responder discount. They didn't necessarily have one, but they did give me a 50$ credit towards accessories. So I though that was cool of them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-20190903_121141.jpg

Here is the new Turquoise colour. I like it but I think seafoam or mint describes it better. So far I have enjoyed the ride. It can climb technical sections better then my Banshee rune but it feels slower to get going. I rode a section today that I've ridden probably 30 times. I was pushing myself harder then normal and I did beat a few of my times on Strava but only by 5-10 seconds. It just feels really slow to get moving. I'm not sure if maybe it's the rear tire 2.4 DHR 2 or if I'm just expecting a much bigger change switching from a 26 inch bike to a 29er. My legs also might just not be used to the different riding position yet. I've noticed it seems to use my glutes more.

I'll post some more pictures later. The build is SRAM brakes and suspension with XT 1x12 drivetrain, Enve rims with I9 101 hubs and they threw in an Enve bar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Voluble View Post
    So I just order my LSP yesterday. I've read in this thread that the seat post clamp is no bueno. What size clamp do I need? I've tried searching through this thread, but it's a lot to read through on mobile.

Also, I asked Fezzari about a first responder discount. They didn't necessarily have one, but they did give me a 50$ credit towards accessories. So I though that was cool of them.
    I picked up a 34.9 Wolftooth Components collar and it fits perfect.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    FWIW I added a bit of assembly friction paste to the seat tube before riding it and haven't had any slippage. The lever isn't very blingy but seems to work fine so far and easily comes off the clamp if you don't need it. I generally try to use minimum tension on adjustable seat post clamps and using the paste is key to keeping them in place. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190903_121141.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	536.0 KB 
ID:	1277241

Here is the new Turquoise colour. I like it but I think seafoam or mint describes it better. So far I have enjoyed the ride. It can climb technical sections better then my Banshee rune but it feels slower to get going. I rode a section today that I've ridden probably 30 times. I was pushing myself harder then normal and I did beat a few of my times on Strava but only by 5-10 seconds. It just feels really slow to get moving. I'm not sure if maybe it's the rear tire 2.4 DHR 2 or if I'm just expecting a much bigger change switching from a 26 inch bike to a 29er. My legs also might just not be used to the different riding position yet. I've noticed it seems to use my glutes more.

I'll post some more pictures later. The build is SRAM brakes and suspension with XT 1x12 drivetrain, Enve rims with I9 101 hubs and they threw in an Enve bar.
    For me it took a looong time to adapt to slinging 29" wheels up climbs and I'm still learning several years in. Slow cadence/steep climbing is a chore and spinning up for tech sections felt like jello for a couple years. 20+ years on 26" and there really was a learning curve and some reprogramming to feel like a strong climber again. Sweet bike!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    For me it took a looong time to adapt to slinging 29" wheels up climbs and I'm still learning several years in. Slow cadence/steep climbing is a chore and spinning up for tech sections felt like jello for a couple years. 20+ years on 26" and there really was a learning curve and some reprogramming to feel like a strong climber again. Sweet bike!
    The other thing I need to get used to is it is a little harder to get the front up when seated and due to that and me being used to my 26er accelerating faster I have ran into things 3 times that I normally do not and bagged myself on the stem...I might pick up one of those BMX stem guards until I adapt to the bike lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by llll Hate llll View Post
    I picked up a 34.9 Wolftooth Components collar and it fits perfect.
    I just got some cheap one on Amazon too. It was like a 3rd of the cost of the Wolftooth and does the exact same thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    I'm not sure. I have a request into RWC to see if they know what one fits, and also asked Fezzari to confirm what the size is. The thru pin for the lower shock mount measured 25.0 mm with my digital caliper. I only saw a 25.4 mm size kit listed on the RWC site. To confuse things more, there are bushing and thru pin kits out there (not from RWC) for Rockshox eyelets that are spec'd at 25.0 mm.

Installing a RWC kit on my other full suspension bike made a big difference - a ton of creaking was coming from this shock eyelet prior to installing the bearing kit.

Updates as I have them.
    Someone else has installed a Real World Cycling NBKRWC2540, 25.4 mm kit in their LSP, and RWC is relaying the info on that it fits. Parts ordered.
    New shock mount bolt and swing link on the way from Fezzari (warranty) to address play in the rear end. I'll update w/pics when all the parts are here.
    I had mad creaking coming from somewhere during pedaling, both standing and seated. I systematically worked my way from the saddle rail pockets to the bottom bracket, cleaning and greasing literally every single part, test riding, then moving onto the next locations (saddle, saddle clamps/bolts etc, dropper internals, seatpost clamp and hardware, all the suspension pivots and axles, from top to bottom, pedals and threads, bottom bracket, and finally chainring mount and mounting bolts). The creak was coming from the DUB bb. These have rather large plastic dust covers that double as bushings the cranks ride on - from somewhere in here, the creak was originating - greased with slick honey and a small, curved syringe tip the best I could. The bike is totally silent now, so much so, you can hear how terrible the chainline sounds on 12 speeds in the lowest gear.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Im thinking of ordering the RWC kit too. I have it on other bikes and its great. No creaks on my la sal though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Has anyone here set up their bike with a frame mounted pack? One that would fit farthest forward on the frame, stopping right in front of the shock mount or so is what I am thinking.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by YogurtProblems View Post
    Has anyone here set up their bike with a frame mounted pack? One that would fit farthest forward on the frame, stopping right in front of the shock mount or so is what I am thinking.
    I have an Blackburn outpost corner bag that fits pretty well in a large. It's not as big as you'd think, or I'd like, but it's handy to add a bit of storage. I only use it when I need it, it goes non and off in a snap.

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-img_20190604_114127.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    I have an Blackburn outpost corner bag that fits pretty well in a large. It's not as big as you'd think, or I'd like, but it's handy to add a bit of storage. I only use it when I need it, it goes non and off in a snap.
    That's actually the exact bag I ended up looking at. Seems like it fits fairly well, and I'd rather put all the little tools and backup things in there than in my pack, since I take them every ride anyway.

Thanks for the info and picture!

Moderator Moderator
    I like to snug it up into the upper corner, but it tends to slide down a little like droopy socks after riding a while. Things like that trigger one of my very few ocd tendencies. I might add in a Voile strap or two which should solve the problem. It's a nicely made little bag.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Can you send a pic of where you greased the BB slash guard. Mine is creaking on the right and it feels like itís in the BB/crank arm for sure on the right. Also my rear shock linkage kept coming loose. I noticed it when walking my bike up a steep hill I could hear it rattling as it bounce with no weight on it. Then I could repeat the sound by unloading the weight of the bike of the shock and I could see play in the rear shock mount. I hope it hasnít messed up my linkage for riding on I for a few miles being so loose.

mtbr member
    Fezzari has provided a warranty replacement swing link and shock mount bolt. They are installed, and I am happy to say that wherever the play was coming from in the rear linkage is now gone. Side by side, the original and replacement swing links looks the same, installed the same, but there's obviously a difference in tolerances somewhere - Thank you Fezzari. The bike feels really solid now.

As far as the RWC needle bearing kit for the rear shock mount, it didn't fit for me, on either swing link. For reference, the shocks on the LSP's are the newer metric size, and the thru axle width, both front and rear shock mounts, are 25.0 mm. The really close size, 25.4 (1 inch) is the width of the older Standard sizing of shock axles. The 25.4mm wide RWC kit prevented the flip chips from seating solidly in the swing link pockets they're designed to nest into. Full torque was achieved on the shock mount bolt, but the chips were still floating. As such, that extra width, .4mm, resulted in play. While physically, yes you can install this, and due to minor variations in production of the links themselves, it may appear to fit, but my guess is that over time will loosen up and the flip chips will wear away at the link pockets they sit in. To that end, I spent time slowly narrowing the width of the 25.4 mm thru axle down to just under 25.0 mm (caliper readings said 24.95, 24.97, and 24.97 mm). Upon reinstalling, all play was gone and there's now really, really smooth rotation. The width of the rubber seals inboard of the anodized seal collars seem to be able to accommodate the .4mm width decrease without binding, but I've yet to get a full ride in. Updates as I have them.

mtbr member
    I've got 7 rides in now on the new setup. The real world cycling kit is working great with my mods. RWC is looking into the kit's fit on my "spare" parts. I'm loving this bike now. I just can't stay off it. It's getting real pretty out there.
    Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-img_20190926_111710123.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anyone know of a rear mud guard that ffits the LSP?

Moderator Moderator
    I've got 7 rides in now on the new setup. The real world cycling kit is working great with my mods. RWC is looking into the kit's fit on my "spare" parts. I'm loving this bike now. I just can't stay off it. It's getting real pretty out there.

Name:	IMG_20190926_111710123.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	1282335
    Glad you got the issues sorted. Chris at RWC is a great guy to work with, I'm looking forward to him figuring out what's going on, and then getting bearings myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    What were you riding prior to the LSP? Did you buy the LSP to replace it or to add a bike to the quiver?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTurtle View Post
    What were you riding prior to the LSP? Did you buy the LSP to replace it or to add a bike to the quiver?
    I had 2 bikes, a Cannondale Scalpel which I was using as a trail bike and a Pivot Mach 6 which I would mostly use for shuttle/park rides. I got the LSP to be my all around trail bike and move the Scalpel over to XC duty. My initial impressions from riding the LSP on local trails in Vegas and my trip to Mammoth is it can do 90% of what the others can do, which leaves me wondering when I'm really going to pull them out of the garage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    has anyone considered trying to long shock this bike? 210 x 60 maybe? seems like it could be a candidate for it considering the reports that it pedals so well already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

36t or 34t oval chainring?

Currently running a 34t chainring, but I would like to try a 34t oval ring. Anybody know if a 34 oval or 36 round (should be about the same as far as clearance) fits?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D2 View Post
    has anyone considered trying to long shock this bike? 210 x 60 maybe? seems like it could be a candidate for it considering the reports that it pedals so well already.
    It seems that travel in a 210 shock isn't available.
    FWIW Now that I've had this bike a few months it has been more versatile than I expected. A few bike park days, some fire road climbs single track and the ease of climbing. Steep dirt roads or tight uphill/downhill single track turns are shockingly easy. It also works really well on the bike park berms, not sure if it's the reduced offset fork or frame geometry but for a long wheelbase big bike is sure hides it well. Heading to Utah in a few weeks for some square edge rapid fire bumps for further testing!
    Last edited by Cat38; 12-10-2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: grammer

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by greedy View Post
    Currently running a 34t chainring, but I would like to try a 34t oval ring. Anybody know if a 34 oval or 36 round (should be about the same as far as clearance) fits?
    I just installed a 34t round chaingring on my bike when I upgraded to 12 sp shimano. Fits fine not sure if a 36 would fit with the smallest of shimano's chainline options.
    Fezzari La Sal Peak
    Trek Madone 9
    Trek Crockett
    Trek Fuel EX 9.8

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

170mm fork

Is anybody running a 170mm fork? Obviously youíll get .5 degree slacker angles and a slightly higher bottom bracket, but I would be much more interested in if thereís a discernible difference (positive or negative) in feel.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Is anybody running a 170mm fork? Obviously youíll get .5 degree slacker angles and a slightly higher bottom bracket, but I would be much more interested in if thereís a discernible difference (positive or negative) in feel.
    I am running my Lyrik at 170mm with a push coil. Bike still climbs great. No float on the front end at all on the steep uphills. I also put a coil the MRP Hazzard coil on the back last week. The bike is even more amazing with the coil. I don't think I will be going back to air anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    2nd ride on my new LSP and loving it but it needs help massively.
    Rear suspension is awful, worst I've ridden.
    It has to be my setup bit I'm baffled as to how it's that far off. I have one of the only X2 equipped LSPs I've seen and I think this might be the reason. Bike was set 30% sag at about 240psi. About 10 clicks of everything per fox's recommendations at my weight and pressure. I'm not one to really use guides but I figured it would be a good starting point. Bike felt fine in parking lot but like a rigid on the trail ,a super mello blue trail. Backed of the compression about clicks and it made a barely noticeable difference. Second ride I did was vorsprung recommend and set the HSC and HSR to min and maximum and then set the low speeds. Bike possibly felt worse. What blows my mind is I used 80% travel and was struggling to almost stay on the bike when I'd be lucky to encounter 5" Terrain . On my old bike I "slash 29" I wouldn't have spilled a latte. I road my freinds bike at the same time and it's aired up for him 50lbs heavier and it even felt massively more compliant. Any ideas as to what my issue is ?
    I'm 200 lbs geared up
    Bikes 30% sag at 240ish psi.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Iíve got an X2 as well, about 190lbs. I tuned with a shockwiz extensively and ended up at a much higher pressure than the fox guides with HSC/LSC full open and no volume spacers. Static sag is at about 26-27%. What I noticed is that at the lower pressures the bike would have too much dynamic sag and as I increased pressure it actually felt better.

Setup at 190lbs riding weight: 255psi, HSC/LSC open, HSR 7 from closed (full clockwise), LSR 7 from closed, 0 volume spacers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Iíve got an X2 as well, about 190lbs. I tuned with a shockwiz extensively and ended up at a much higher pressure than the fox guides with HSC/LSC full open and no volume spacers. Static sag is at about 26-27%. What I noticed is that at the lower pressures the bike would have too much dynamic sag and as I increased pressure it actually felt better.

Setup at 190lbs riding weight: 255psi, HSC/LSC open, HSR 7 from closed (full clockwise), LSR 7 from closed, 0 volume spacers.
    Thanks I'll give that a shot. Given the travel usage and harshness I was wondering if it was packing up, some air could help. X2's ways feel glacier slow to me but this is extreme.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    OK I've been lurking about and reading a LOT. I just got off the phone and ordered my LSP. It will be about three weeks for delivery (yuck) but ok, it is what i is and I got the black Friday pricing. So anyway, here are my questions and I am desperately hoping the group here can answer based on some things I am about to say.

First, I am 50. Once upon a time 25 years ago I was riding 200 miles per week between road and mountain bikes. I got a career, married, kids and fat. Ultimately split with the wife, raised the three kids on my own and got fatter. Spent the last 18 months losing a LOT of weight. When I say a lot I mean a lot. I wasn't enjoying life. Now I'm much much closer to being where I wanted to be, but still have a solid 50 lbs to lose. Fortunately, I am back on a bike. Starting this last summer, I was back on my old 2007 FSR Comp, but wow...that bike was so outclassed by the trail, and my skills are crap. I upgraded to a slightly used 2018 Trek Fuel EX 9.7. So, carbon bike (mostly) with better suspension. I upgraded to a Fox 36 front fork with 150mm of travel, the back is stock with the 130mm of travel in the Fox ReActive. Bike is a 29er.

So, I'm out riding my Northern California Trails pretty regularly now and doing 25-30 miles per week of pretty hardcore, somewhat technical (roots, rock gardens, 2 +foot drops,etc) with about 1000 feet of climb with every ride. Sections I had to walk back in July, I am enjoying the work of actually riding up. There are some uphill sections (two of them) I still have to walk, because I just don't have enough oomph to clean them.
    They are uphill, technical with rocks and roots, with a bend in the trail. I attribute my lack of climbing ability to both my lack of pure riding fitness as well as certain bike limitations related to travel and geometry. Obviously, the bulk of the issue is me, not the bike and I accept this...which is part of the reason I regularly ride!

Anyway, back to my bike. It's a great bike, (forgot to mention its a size medium) but the front is steeper and the seat slacker than I would prefer. Of course I didn't really know this when I bought it (lightly used) and started my upgrades. Carbon bars, better pedals, XO drivetrain, PNW dropper, etc. The bike was getting better while I was getting better. Still though, I lack a certain amount of confidence on the bike. My friends are all on Santa Cruz Megatowers and Hightowers and they are sailing over and down giant (like the size of your garage) granite rocks, while I am too afraid to do it. My primary reason for not going, is because I feel too big for the size medium bike. I feel very cramped in the cockpit and very "over the bars" feeling. Forgot to mention, I am 5-9, almost 31" inseam, 27.5" arms, 29" torso, 26" shoulder width and 262 lbs (yeah I know...please don't judge!) The trek just feels small. I demoed a size large Megatower and it felt AMAZING! What I really liked about this big bike, was the sloped down top tube that gave me TONS of standover clearance whole the size overall made me feel "in" the bike rather than "on" it. So, I am really concerned about the LSP because the specs show the medium with a 790 standover, and 795 for the large. By contrast, my trek is at 740 while the large MT in the high position is only 717?? Now, I cannot believe the bikes are this different because the seat still has to be the same height, so I cannot help but wonder if this different standover is relative to where on the frame/top tube this measurement is taken? Does anyone have photos of the LSP adjacent to any other bikes that I can see for comparison? Also, the reach of the large LSP is identical to the large MT. The stack is 4mm more than the MT. The Medium LSP stack is 13mm less and the reach is 25mm less. So...I LOVED the large Megatower fit. Am I going to hate the medium LSP fit? More importantly, am I going to hate the LSP because of the much bigger standover dimension?

Someone...anyone...I know this is a lot to take in but please help me! I am in the Sacramento CA area, if anyone near here has an LSP I could try!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Comparison on 99spokes.com for references

It's possibly just a weird measurement point, as there obviously shouldn't be much of a difference.

As a data point, I am 5'9", roughly same inseam as you, on a Large LSP. The big feels pretty much great to me, if maybe a bit big. Sometimes I wouldn't mind a smaller bike for whipping around and stuff, but I did expect that when I made the purchase. It's a 29er that is meant for ripping around and monster trucking over things.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thank you so much for the insight! How do you feel about the standover? Do you feel like it's up in your crotch or do you have room to breathe?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jafount View Post
    So...I LOVED the large Megatower fit. Am I going to hate the medium LSP fit? More importantly, am I going to hate the LSP because of the much bigger standover dimension?
    Keep in mind that you are newly getting back into riding without much experience with modern bikes, and the Trek was too small, so anything bigger would probably feel "right". Maybe the large is the right size for you in the MT, maybe it just felt like it because it had a longer reach than the Trek.

I'd trust that Fezzari is putting you on the correct frame size, if you hate it, you can always return it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    That's my problem. Fezarri said I'm so close based on my measurements to the large, that it comes down to preference. I'm certain everything else will feel right, I'm just concerned about standover. if I jump off the bike am I going to crush my tender bits?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    That's my problem. Fezarri said I'm so close based on my measurements to the large, that it comes down to preference. I'm certain everything else will feel right, I'm just concerned about standover. if I jump off the bike am I going to crush my tender bits?
    I just lower the dropper whenever I want to get off. Makes it easier and I don't worry about smashing my dangles trying to get on or off with the post all the way extended.

Not sure if that is considered poor form or not, but I haven't had a single issue with it. I figure the functionality is there, so I might as well use it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm some kinda freak. 6"0, 29" inseam . Large is great for me if that helps . No clearance issues and still can use 1up 180 dropper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Still really like this bike! I've had it about a year now and still digging it. A trail gnome installed a front derailer in the front chain ring on my last ride lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Derailleur hanger alignment hack

Maybe this is something everybody already knows, but if not I stumbled upon a super easy method of aligning the derailleur hanger. Get a bolt that fits the hole where the derailleur bolts onto the hanger (I think it is a M10 x 1.0 super fine, Loweís had one). Then thread your axle in from the outside. Use calipers to measure the distance between the axle and bolt at two points and bend the hanger using the bolt until they align. Sight along the axle from the top and bend as required to align fore/aft. Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-31db7bd3-b7cd-4e92-837e-375e91b7122b.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    i am also in the same category. WHen i ordered mine i was on the border of going up to a large and ultimately i went with the Med because my other bike was the same size. I did try a friend large (not fezzari) and it felt BIG...so i went with the Med and feel more comfortable with that size and got use to the seating position and steering feel.

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Just ordered a large frameset in carbon (aka black). I've never had a carbon longer travel bike.

I heard these frames are pretty light. I will be building a lightweight version for my rolling, rocky and rooty trails here in MI.

I really just bought the frame because I heard this was a climbing machine and I have found that sitting and climbing is just as fast around here as out of the saddle climbs. I also was sick of scooting forward on my saddle when I do climb seated.

Let's hope I can get this below 26 lbs otherwise it doesn't make sense to haul a 27 lb bike around my trails.

I will also be heading to Utah and CA once a year and will use this bike for those trips - with heavier duty tires of course.

Anyone weigh their large frameset?
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Getting a large build with pedals to end up under 26lbs is going to be tough I think.

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Well I did build up the lightest Santa Cruz Blur. Size Large at 20.5 pounds.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm carbon everything and over 30lbs in a large.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Well I did build up the lightest Santa Cruz Blur. Size Large at 20.5 pounds.
    That is super light. Still going to be tough on this bike but I am curious to see how close you do get. List your build spec so that others could possibly accomplish it as well. I will stay tuned. .

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    My bad, actually the Blur was 19.5 lbs.
    Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-screenshot_20200215-192509_photos.jpg

So my new fork is approximately 2 pounds heavier, add a dropper and that's another pound.

At 22.5 pounds, I only have 2.5 pounds for the frame.

Add another pound for my different wheels (200g difference) and the difference between AXS and my XX1.

So, doesn't look like I'll make it running a dropper.

26.5??? Let's hope.
    by Silentfoe

Orange Bikes USA Dealer

La Sal Peak frame weight

Size large frame with shock:
    Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-20200228_140006.jpg
    by Silentfoe

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Final weight with pedals.
    Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-20200302_144939.jpg

This won't be the setup I use around here on my local trails. I really don't need a dropper and will run lighter tires. But it will be how I run it when I travel with the bike.

So max weight is 27 pounds and I can probably drop close to 2 for my local trails.

Looking forward to riding it this spring.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Final weight with pedals.

Name:	20200302_144939.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	1314729

This won't be the setup I use around here on my local trails. I really don't need a dropper and will run lighter tires. But it will be how I run it when I travel with the bike.

So max weight is 27 pounds and I can probably drop close to 2 for my local trails.

Looking forward to riding it this spring.
    Ok that is crazy, I have Carbon rims, bar and the xt 1x12 and mine comes in around 33lbs.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Got my La Sal a few months back and got some riding done..... although not as much as I'd like due to the weather. So far so good, it's a great bike! I'm having lots of fun tuning the Fox suspension setup.

I'm really looking to get a 27.5 wheelset to play around with. I'd really prefer to not go plus sized to keep the weight down. However, I'm concerned with some folks talking about the flip chip not offering enough bottom bracket clearance. So I have a few questions.....

1) Has anyone run 27.5 with non plus size on there la Sal? Has it worked out? I was thinking of running 2.5s...

2) If I made some custom flip chips with more BB adjustment would people be interested? As a mechanical engineer it sounds like a fun little project

-Jon

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by CT_Rider View Post

2) If I made some custom flip chips with more BB adjustment would people be interested? As a mechanical engineer it sounds like a fun little project

-Jon
    Depends on how well they work really. I do like the idea of a 27.5 wheelset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020

New Flip Chip Design

Had some spare time this weekend so I modeled the stock flip chip, and a proposed design for the new one. Quick math says it should be a 5-6mm increase in BB clearance, which would be at least enough to run 2.6's. Not sure if it's going to be worth the cost and effort, but it's a fun project nonetheless. I'm going to order the hardware and 3d print the new flip chip design. That should let me measure the BB height change before I machine the new flip chips out of aluminum.

I'll keep you guys posted
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-bom_model.jpg  

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-bom_model_2.jpg  

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-custom_chip.jpg  

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-custom_chip_2.jpg  

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-custom_flip_chip.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Please do, if it turns out well enough and let's you run 27.5s and have no real downsides, I'd be interested in giving you dinero to make me one.

mtbr member
    Had some spare time this weekend so I modeled the stock flip chip, and a proposed design for the new one. Quick math says it should be a 5-6mm increase in BB clearance, which would be at least enough to run 2.6's. Not sure if it's going to be worth the cost and effort, but it's a fun project nonetheless. I'm going to order the hardware and 3d print the new flip chip design. That should let me measure the BB height change before I machine the new flip chips out of aluminum.

I'm not sure I'd want to mess with the flip chip interface in this way. Having just gone through a pretty lengthy process to get a Real World Cycling roller bearing kit to fit my LSP, and having a 2nd generation swing link under warranty due to play in the original design with flip chips that just barely seated incorrectly, I think this could wear into the swing link somehow. Why not just go with offset shock bushings to accomplish the same thing?
    https://www.ebay.com/i/283141885049?...CABEgJ8JfD_BwE

*note, I don't know if this is the correct bushing for the LSP, just putting up something as an example of an offset bushing*

I may give it a try, as I'm running a mullet rig, re: 29 front, 27.5 + rear, in the HIGH position, and still get too many pedal strikes.

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Alright,
    I had my first ride on the bike yesterday in some techy single track. The ground was pretty much leaf covered, wet, and a bit soft (spring thaw).

This trail has a lot of slow tech climbs that kill you lungs and makes you want to spit blood - LOL.

I have to say, I wasn't overly impressed but that's not to say I don't like the bike.

My other bikes are an Orange Stage 4, and an Orbea OIZ so that is what I have to compare it to. I feel like my Orange is just as plush, and climbs just as good. And at 1.5 to 2 pounds lighter I'm not sure where I'm going to use the La Sal outside of if I go out west.

So, today I took the dropper off - not really needed around here, and swapped to some lighter tires. Now the bike is in the 25 lb range and we'll see how it does.

I know this bike is overkill for where I live, but I was hoping to get a smoother bike for my old body, and something that climbed decently.

It does climb decently, especially when the fork is locked out, and maybe I just have to run more sag. Currently at 28-29% (not quite 30).

Will increasing the sag to say 32-35% provide more traction and a smoother ride without sacrificing the climbing?Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-20200313_084925.jpg
    by Silentfoe

Moderator Moderator
    Alright,
    I had my first ride on the bike yesterday in some techy single track. The ground was pretty much leaf covered, wet, and a bit soft (spring thaw).

This trail has a lot of slow tech climbs that kill you lungs and makes you want to spit blood - LOL.

I have to say, I wasn't overly impressed but that's not to say I don't like the bike.

My other bikes are an Orange Stage 4, and an Orbea OIZ so that is what I have to compare it to. I feel like my Orange is just as plush, and climbs just as good. And at 1.5 to 2 pounds lighter I'm not sure where I'm going to use the La Sal outside of if I go out west.

So, today I took the dropper off - not really needed around here, and swapped to some lighter tires. Now the bike is in the 25 lb range and we'll see how it does.

I know this bike is overkill for where I live, but I was hoping to get a smoother bike for my old body, and something that climbed decently.

It does climb decently, especially when the fork is locked out, and maybe I just have to run more sag. Currently at 28-29% (not quite 30).

Will increasing the sag to say 32-35% provide more traction and a smoother ride without sacrificing the climbing?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200313_084925.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	1317017
    I like supple suspension and with air shocks, I run as much sag as I can until it feels wrong. Either it mucks with the geometry, or wallows like it has flat tires. That's the starting point, then I'll work on the ramp and mid range. I can go check mine, but it's like tire pressure, it's really individual based on your weight etc. Unless you end up changing the seat angle drastically, it should climb the same. Full disclosure, I rarely or never lock out my suspension and don't care if it moves a bit while climbing. Better traction right? I mainly don't because I always forget to unlock it...

I also like to replace my bushings with roller bearings, but I'm waiting for Watermonkey to finish ginuea pigging that process. It's been nothing but snow and mud here since October, so I haven't been on my mtb in at least a month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    I also like to replace my bushings with roller bearings, but I'm waiting for Watermonkey to finish ginuea pigging that process. It's been nothing but snow and mud here since October, so I haven't been on my mtb in at least a month.
    Just got the parts last week, will install over the weekend and give an update. RWC had my surplus swing link, and came up with this solution below - he said its a perfect fit and would post in the suspension forum this info in the near future.

Chris @ RWC, "1 pcs NBKRWC2185, 3 pcs Stainless Steel Shim Kit 8 x 17 x 0.5mm, Theoretically, it takes it to 24.85mm but it allows the bolt to be fully tightened with the flip chip extending inside the swing link and the inner ring locked down, with the shock able to pivot smoothly."

Headed to Sedona next week, will give it a go and report back.

EDIT---------Haven't been on here much lately, just noticed that Chris from RWC posted this info in the https://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspe...me-998670.html forum, post # 612.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I destroyed the driver on my first Stan's wheel. They took care of it and replaced it which was awesome of them! The new one has been good, but I wanted something stronger. I had my LBS build me a new wheel set with DT Swiss EX511 rims and Hadley USA hubs. These should be bulletproof!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

just a man
    So is the clamp a 34.9/35.0? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    So, after 14 months and around 1200 miles I decided to sell my La Sal Peak.

As much as I loved the geometry, I was starting to have reliability issues with the frame. I had to have the rocker link and flip chips replaced as they had developed play. In addition, the chainstay pivots (especially the drive side) were developing play. Fezzari was great with the warranty parts but I didn't want to be calling them every month to get new parts.

My biggest concern with the frame was that the rear triangle had a ton of lateral flex. So much that the tire would rub on the chainstay (especially on the drive side) and sometimes on the seat stay. Fezzari thought it was tire or wheel flex but I have an identical set of tires and wheels in my Evil Following (light bicycle carbon rims with Onyx hubs) and they don't rub that frame and it has a lot less clearance.

Granted I am heavy (around 200 lbs suited up with hydration pack) and I am an aggressive but smooth (top 10) descender on Northern Colorado's steep and chunky trails. I think that perhaps I was just too much for the bike? I don't know. The flex was really unnerving, though. Maybe I just had a whippy rear triangle and others haven't had the same issue.

After much research, I ended up going with a 2020 Santa Cruz Hightower frame and swapped my parts over. I'm really liking the Hightower so far as the geometry is very similar but it has a much more stiff, solid, planted feel than the LSP did.

I wish Fezzari the best. I think the second generation of this bike could be improved and a real hit when it comes out. It's a good bike and I really liked the way it rode and handled. Carved corners great and the rear suspension was probably the best I've ridden but it was just too flexy in the rear for me and I worried about the long term viability of the pivots and other moving parts. Plus, as silly as it sounds, I was never really that stoked on how it looked but I didn't have to look at it while I was riding.

Anyway, there's a bit of a long term report for anyone who is interested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X View Post
    So is the clamp a 34.9/35.0? Thanks
    Yes, Either 34.9 or 35.0 will work.

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerTed. View Post

My biggest concern with the frame was that the rear triangle had a ton of lateral flex. So much that the tire would rub on the chainstay (especially on the drive side) and sometimes on the seat stay. Fezzari thought it was tire or wheel flex but I have an identical set of tires and wheels in my Evil Following (light bicycle carbon rims with Onyx hubs) and they don't rub that frame and it has a lot less clearance.
    Interesting this came up.

I just bought this frame and as I was building it up, I thought the rear end looked rather minimalist.

Placing some weight on the seat and moving the rear end back and forth it does seem flexy. However, I didn't notice any flex while riding it, and maybe it was designed that way. I can see how this would place loads on the pivots/ chips which may lead to problems eventually.

But, like I said, mine is new so I'll ride it this summer and sell it like I do the other 4 bikes I buy an sell every year.

I have to say that FarmerTed did just crush the resale value of our frames/ bikes now and moving forward for anyone who reads this thread. - thanks.

Personally, bikes are disposable objects and a hobby so I'm not too concerned, but I can see how some people would be now.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I wanted to give some feedback to fellow LA Sal owners out there as I have owned this bike for 1 year and it strikes such a good balance of between a trail & enduro.
    I thought i was crazy about the rear flex as i was getting the same tire rub problem. Thought it was the flimsy exo casing or stock alloy wheels. Fezzari did their best to troubleshoot but just rode on as there was no play in the pivots or swing link. Check pivot torque as mine were a bit loose....it happens on all bikes at some point I guess
    The upside was that this is the the 1st bike that allowed me to do a 2 wheel drift....I attribute this to rear flex but it felt ohhh soo good. This could also be because the flimsier 29 wheels and tire casing.....either way the frame rubbing was significant.

After being a squeaky wheel, Fezzari did send me a new beefed up version of the chainstay. Initial comparisons is that this new chainstay is stiffer. Due to covid and lots of snow I did not try it out yet.

So if you experience frame rub check your torque setting on all pivots. I would not be bothered with the flex as it made me look & feel like a pro.

Great brand with great support so don't despair just yet about comments above. Will update when I can ride again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    So i just installed my RWC kit from Chris. Just bouncing around in my garage, I noticed it was way smoother. Like super smooth. The install was pretty easy. I have the Rockshox shock and I removed it completely from the bike and just used my bench mounted vice as a press. I used the "0" size axle, and it went in super easy with no front and back play. I may have to go up a size axle after it all sets in though. I did order the RWC green press tool as well, and it made it easier since I don't have a bike bearing press. The hardest part was getting the shims and shock lined up when I put it all back together.

This is my first FS bike, and although there was nothing wrong with the bushings, I figured why not take a chance on this since it has such great reviews and it's pretty cheap. Unfortunately, I won't be able to take it out for a spin anytime soon due to Oregon getting a bunch of rain for the next 10 days or so.

Also, if you use the code Bikeariously at checkout, you get 20% off. Saw that on some guys youtube video about the bearing and the code still worked for me

mtbr member
    Feb 2020

Cool-blue Rhythm

Interesting this came up.

I have to say that FarmerTed did just crush the resale value of our frames/ bikes now and moving forward for anyone who reads this thread. - thanks.

Personally, bikes are disposable objects and a hobby so I'm not too concerned, but I can see how some people would be now.
    If I destroyed the resale value of a whole model of bike by sharing a single personal experience on one forum then, wow, I'm way more powerful than I thought. I must be in the wrong business.

Seriously, YMMV. I shared my experience and I think it's interesting that others have already shared theirs and it's enough of an issue that Fezzari apparently has a beefed up chainstay ready to ship out to folks who are complaining?!? Wow, I wish I had known that. Instead of trying to save a few bucks shipping a warranty part, they could have kept a customer.

Every time I called them, they just said it was tire or wheel flex. I was pretty sure that it wasn't when my drive side crank arm was hitting the outside of the chainstay in rough sections ( I descend left foot forward and have never had that happen in 30+ years of mountain biking). I could actually squeeze the drive side crank arm and chainstay with one hand and get them to touch. I can't do that on any of my other bikes.

Oh well, It was never really an issue when riding. I could only really tell when I got on a different bike and the rear end just felt so much more stiff and I'm not one who can normally tell that kind of stuff. I have never really been able to tell the stiffness of parts (wheels, forks, frames, etc.) until now...and an old Giant Reign that I used to have but that's another story.

Anyway, I seriously doubt my honest assessment is going to kill the resale for a whole bike. Get on a forum for any other bike brand and you'll find people bashing some aspect of them left and right. I think you're all safe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Welp, I can say I got my first biking injury. Broken Tibia right below the knee. It happened about four weeks ago. As are most accidents, this was not the La Sal Peaks fault. The one silver lining is I got it on video:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MTB/comment...m_medium=web2x

My buddy and I were doing trails we had done dozens of times before. We were trying to take it easy as to not get hurt during these times. I didn't have enough speed going into that steep punchy climb, and like an idiot shifted right before to get in a better gear. You can hear in the video the chain skip between gears as I'm climbing. My right leg was fully loaded when the sudden gear skip happened causing my foot to come off the pedals. My foot got caught up in a crevis in the rock face, I started to roll back, and my pedal caught my shin. This is when my right leg broke. We were about 2 miles from the trailhead and I had to hobble back using my bike as a makeshift crutch. Some X rays and MRIs later and I have multiple tibia plateau fractures. I can't wait to heal up and ride again!

Once I heal up I may kick off the altered flip chip design again, but after hearing about peoples stories regarding worn pivots and flip chips I'm a little worried now. We'll see. I'm already feeling much better and can't wait to ride again!

just a man

Shakedown of my new 2020 LSP

First ride on my new LSP. I liken this bike to a "Light Heavyweight fighter." Still packs a good punch but nimble.Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-4c1f629c-b725-4939-8f53-dda490efbc6a_1_201_a.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Welp, I can say I got my first biking injury. Broken Tibia right below the knee. It happened about four weeks ago. As are most accidents, this was not the La Sal Peaks fault. The one silver lining is I got it on video:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MTB/comment...m_medium=web2x

My buddy and I were doing trails we had done dozens of times before. We were trying to take it easy as to not get hurt during these times. I didn't have enough speed going into that steep punchy climb, and like an idiot shifted right before to get in a better gear. You can hear in the video the chain skip between gears as I'm climbing. My right leg was fully loaded when the sudden gear skip happened causing my foot to come off the pedals. My foot got caught up in a crevis in the rock face, I started to roll back, and my pedal caught my shin. This is when my right leg broke. We were about 2 miles from the trailhead and I had to hobble back using my bike as a makeshift crutch. Some X rays and MRIs later and I have multiple tibia plateau fractures. I can't wait to heal up and ride again!

Once I heal up I may kick off the altered flip chip design again, but after hearing about peoples stories regarding worn pivots and flip chips I'm a little worried now. We'll see. I'm already feeling much better and can't wait to ride again!
    Get better soon! I ran into a bush a week ago, the bush won but even at the speed I was going (~25mph) I managed a ninja roll and walked away with barely a few scratches.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Another lateral flex comment, so my bike had been shifting a bit odd and I was doing some upgrades and it went to the mechanic. Mechanic said it felt terrible and had a ton of flex... Checked the bike out and every pivot was way loosen after that was resolved he said it was awesome. I had torque the pivots probably in less than a hundred miles before the he checked them and they were loose also I just hadn't thought that they would loosen again. Seems to be Similar to Gorilla Gravity in the sense that it is something that needs to be checked regularly or may require some loctite. My Freind torques is guerrilla gravity about every other ride after losing two separate horste link bolts need a ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    First ride on my new LSP. I liken this bike to a "Light Heavyweight fighter." Still packs a good punch but nimble.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4C1F629C-B725-4939-8F53-DDA490EFBC6A_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	599.5 KB 
ID:	1327211
    Looks great! Accurate description of the bike.

I've been messing with my fork a lot lately. Today a DSD Runt is arriving (dual chamber air spring), looking forward to seeing how it affects my ride. I've gotten really close with increased sag (~20% seated, around 75-77psi in the fork and I'm ~198lb RTR) and the compression at recommended from Fox at 10 clicks HSC 6-7 clicks LSC. I'm thinking with the Runt I can drop the psi to 65-70 (very supple initial), reduce compression, and still maintain geometry when charging brake bumps, rocks, g-outs, and berms.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Very happy to say I'm back on the trails with my La Sal Peak after breaking my leg about 9 weeks ago. My strength is definitely down on my right side, but I'm pleased with how little pain I have.

I also got to play around with my shockwiz a little bit on the rear. It's been a fun little device to use. Honestly, one of my favorite features is how easy it is to save shock settings and take notes on it. It's worth downloading the app just for the logbooking ability.

I've almost got the rear pretty dialed. Once that's done I'll do the front fork and share my settings and rider weight. FYI I have the fox suspension setup on a medium frame.

Happy riding everyone!

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Very happy to say I'm back on the trails with my La Sal Peak after breaking my leg about 9 weeks ago. My strength is definitely down on my right side, but I'm pleased with how little pain I have.

I also got to play around with my shockwiz a little bit on the rear. It's been a fun little device to use. Honestly, one of my favorite features is how easy it is to save shock settings and take notes on it. It's worth downloading the app just for the logbooking ability.

I've almost got the rear pretty dialed. Once that's done I'll do the front fork and share my settings and rider weight. FYI I have the fox suspension setup on a medium frame.

Happy riding everyone!
    Always good to be back riding.

Do you mind sharing your settings? Do you happen to have an X2? I've been messing with the settings almost every ride (2019 Grip2 Fox Factory + Factory X2). I'm 200lb ready to ride, right now I'm at 82psi 1 spacer 10 hsc 7 lsc 4lsr 3hsr for the fork and 220psi 2 spacers 11lsr 8hsr 14lsc 13hsc for the X2.

So many options!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Iíve got an X2 & 36, 190lbs riding weight and have done quite a bit of work with a shockwiz; hereís my settings if youíd like a reference point:

36 (Iíve bumped it to 170mm and added a Luftkappe so that alone should mean I run more psi and less tokens than stock):
    87psi
    LSR 2 (from fully clockwise)
    HSR 3
    LSC open
    HSC open
    0 spacers

X2:
    280psi
    LSR 7
    HSR 8
    LSC open
    HSC open
    0 Spacers

What I found with using the shockwiz on the shock is that I had to run higher than expected pressure to achieve 25-30% dynamic sag, but once I got there it felt much better because running around 210-240psi would cause it to ride lower than desired in the travel and thus be a bit harsher than it is with higher pressure and proper ride height.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Iíve got an X2 & 36, 190lbs riding weight and have done quite a bit of work with a shockwiz; hereís my settings if youíd like a reference point:

36 (Iíve bumped it to 170mm and added a Luftkappe so that alone should mean I run more psi and less tokens than stock):
    87psi
    HSR 3
    LSC open
    HSC open
    0 spacers

X2:
    280psi
    LSR 7
    HSR 8
    LSC open
    HSC open
    0 Spacers

What I found with using the shockwiz on the shock is that I had to run higher than expected pressure to achieve 25-30% dynamic sag, but once I got there it felt much better because running around 210-240psi would cause it to ride lower than desired in the travel and thus be a bit harsher than it is with higher pressure and proper ride height.
    Wow, that's really high pressure. I've only gone as high as 240 or so. I seem to be able to get 30% sag at 220ish being 200lb rtr. When I tried 240ish psi, things got really harsh out back. Could have been compression settings.

Mtb suspension setup has been a vicious cycle of adjustments.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020

87psi
    HSR 3
    LSC open
    HSC open
    0 spacers

X2:
    280psi
    LSR 7
    HSR 8
    LSC open
    HSC open
    0 Spacers

Greedy, thanks for the insights. My new setup during and after my morning ride:

Fork:
    90psi (increased post-ride from ~83psi)
    LSR 6 (up from 4)
    HSR 5 (up from 3)
    LSC 10
    HSC 16
    1 Spacer

I have some local trails with really nasty/hard-packed medium brake bumps. Too many e-bikes hitting this trail, so I needed faster rebound in the fork to recover from these frequent square-edged hits and it helped massively.

X2:
    265psi
    LSR 8
    HSR 5
    LSC 16
    HSC 20
    0 Spacers

The increased pressure helped a ton on my climbs (I even managed a Strava climbing trophy today. I'm competing against guys riding bikes 10lb lighter and likely the riders weighing 30-40lb less than me, but I have a fairly high FTP at 320w), but also gave an amazing platform when hitting bad bumps and G-outs. I don't believe the tokens are necessary due to the leverage curve per my research of the Tetralink, hence the more wide-open HSC as well. I had the X2 compression at "open", but dialed back in a little more as it did feel just a touch spikey and made the bike go out-of-shape a bit. The added LSC also firms up the climbing a touch.

I may still play around with the X2 rebound settings, but I'm not sure I'll be touching anything else.

Again, thanks for the insight, I've been going in circles on this suspension setup for 6 months now and finally and truly feel that I'm very close to my best setup. Cheers!

-Jeff

Edit*: My ready to ride weight is 195-200lb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Ordered a Glacier Teal Elite build ~1 week back. Cool that Fezzari allows customization, as I swapped in an XO1 cassette and shifter in place of the GX bits. Not so patiently counting down the days to arrival!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestCoast View Post
    Ordered a Glacier Teal Elite build ~1 week back. Cool that Fezzari allows customization, as I swapped in an XO1 cassette and shifter in place of the GX bits. Not so patiently counting down the days to arrival!
    How far are they on La Salís? I ordered an Abajo Peak two weeks ago and was told Mid July to August. I also upgraded my bike. Ordered Guides instead of the Level brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal_In_AZ View Post
    How far are they on La Salís? I ordered an Abajo Peak two weeks ago and was told Mid July to August. I also upgraded my bike. Ordered Guides instead of the Level brakes.
    ETA was 3-4 weeks on my build. I originally wanted to spec it with a 12spd XT drivetrain, but the parts were back-ordered and it would have pushed it into late August.

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Just wanted to share my setup in case anyone is interested in running a 3 position fork /shock with remote.

I was pleasantly surprised to find cable routing in place for such a setup.

I'm running the DT Swiss R535 and F535 shock and fork which allows for open, trail, and closed positions.Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-20200603_233137.jpg

Just a follow up. Got to ride some nice flowy trails this morning. The bike rips up the hills in the middle position. This coming from an XC guy.
    Last edited by Zerort; 06-04-2020 at 10:23 AM.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Iíve had my LSP for 1 year and 2000 miles now and Iím still loving it. Anybody know what weíre looking at for frame maintenance? Maybe time to look at swapping out the suspension pivot bearings? Has anybody done it and/or know what sizes are required?

mtbr member
    Mar 2020

Downhill Park, Shockwiz, X2 Settings, New Parts!

I went to my first downhill park with the La Sal Peak about a week ago. It was incredibly muddy, but a blast! I stuck mostly to flow and tech trail (very few jumps). The back end definitely felt a little harsh with my initial shock settings. I had the shockwiz along for the ride. I was running 209 PSI in the X2 with the following settings and suggestions. FYI I'm roughly 185lbs with full gear.

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-muddy-la-sal-peak-powder_lowres-1.jpg

Attachment 1339453

Attachment 1339455

The shock wiz recommended increasing air pressure and ditching some spacers, so I gave that a shot and went for a trail ride the other day. Wow what a big difference. I only took one spacer out (had 2 to start) and upped the pressure by about 15 psi (to 225). The back end fell far less harsh. I also hit some small huck to flats (3-4 ft), and some extremely harsh tech trails without bottoming out. Attached are th esettings I used for the trail ride and the suggestions. I'm going to play with some settings and ride again this weekend. I'm tempted to pull out another spacer.....Hopefully I can get the rear end dialed so I can start working on the fork. Also got some new parts in yesterday and installed them on the bike. All from OneUp. Got new carbon bars, stem, edc tool, pump, grips, and pedals. Also threw a fidlock water bottle on the bike.

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-cowles-suspension-settings-1-spacer-.jpg

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-suggestions.jpg

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-one-up-edc-stem-bars-pump-low-res.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I went to my first downhill park with the La Sal Peak about a week ago. It was incredibly muddy, but a blast! I stuck mostly to flow and tech trail (very few jumps). The back end definitely felt a little harsh with my initial shock settings. I had the shockwiz along for the ride. I was running 209 PSI in the X2 with the following settings and suggestions. FYI I'm roughly 185lbs with full gear.

Name:	Muddy La Sal Peak Powder_lowres (1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	1339479

Attachment 1339453

Attachment 1339455

The shock wiz recommended increasing air pressure and ditching some spacers, so I gave that a shot and went for a trail ride the other day. Wow what a big difference. I only took one spacer out (had 2 to start) and upped the pressure by about 15 psi (to 225). The back end fell far less harsh. I also hit some small huck to flats (3-4 ft), and some extremely harsh tech trails without bottoming out. Attached are th esettings I used for the trail ride and the suggestions. I'm going to play with some settings and ride again this weekend. I'm tempted to pull out another spacer.....Hopefully I can get the rear end dialed so I can start working on the fork. Also got some new parts in yesterday and installed them on the bike. All from OneUp. Got new carbon bars, stem, edc tool, pump, grips, and pedals. Also threw a fidlock water bottle on the bike.

Name:	Cowles Suspension Settings (1 Spacer).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	1339477

Name:	Suggestions.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	1339483

Name:	One Up EDC Stem Bars Pump Low res.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	418.4 KB 
ID:	1339487
    Thanks for sharing!! One thing I found with the fork, make sure there is a little bit of fox gold oil on top of the piston. I added some and it made a big difference in smoothness. I think because perhaps the tolerance inside the stanchion is tight. With that, I tried lowering psi in the fork to 72psi (I'm 200lb rtr). Big mistake, my ride today was not good because my shock pressure is so high, it made things way out of balance and I had no support from the front. wiped out, but not bad.

Fork 92psi (parking lot this feels good, still can get 87%travel doing the bunny hop test)
    1 spacer
    Lsc 8
    Hsc 15
    Lsr 6
    Hsr 5

Shock 270psi (up from 250psi)
    0 spacers (remember the tetra link is a progressive design)
    Lsr 14 (this may be a little slow)
    Hsr 13 (I may also see if I need to speed up after next ride, but with the added pressure this may be close)
    Lsc open (was at 18 when at 250psi)
    Hsc open (was at 20 when at 250psi)

I noticed when compression is added to the shock, even with this high pressure, it makes it feel a little dead/vague. I like a touch more movement.

Would love to keep this thread going and hear feedback on your suspension settings. Not many others with the same bike and fork/shock setup, so bouncing ideas has been really helpful to get this dialed-in! 👊👊

-Jeff

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Jeff,

I'm a total suspension nerd, so I don't think I'll ever be done playing with settings. I find it really fun to see how changes impact the ride and handling of the bike.....for better or worse.

I'm going on a ride this evening, and I think I'm going to pull the last volume spacer out of my rear shock before I go out. I'll report back with the shockwiz recommendations! I'm doing a ride tomorrow morning too and am hoping to get the front fork more dialed.

-Jon

mtbr member
    Mar 2020

ShockWiz Rear Results

Went for a good 3 hour ride yesterday after removing all the spacers in my X2 and modifying some of the setting. I'm really happy with how the bike is riding. The back end is far less harsh than usual, and I have noticeably more traction for techy climbs. I would definitely recommend removing volume spacers and trying it for a few rides if you haven't already.

After yesterdays ride with the shockwiz, my only recommendation left was to increase my low speed damping a little bit. You can see my initial setting below. I intend to add 2 clicks of low speed damping to this. I'll be setting up my shockwiz on the front fork this week! Can't wait to see what suggestions I get.

Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-screenshot_20200608-075101.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Went for a good 3 hour ride yesterday after removing all the spacers in my X2 and modifying some of the setting. I'm really happy with how the bike is riding. The back end is far less harsh than usual, and I have noticeably more traction for techy climbs. I would definitely recommend removing volume spacers and trying it for a few rides if you haven't already.

After yesterdays ride with the shockwiz, my only recommendation left was to increase my low speed damping a little bit. You can see my initial setting below. I intend to add 2 clicks of low speed damping to this. I'll be setting up my shockwiz on the front fork this week! Can't wait to see what suggestions I get.

Sweet. Those settings are really close to where I was at before my ride yesterday.

I tried the 270psi, and it made a big difference (for the worse) even though my compression dials were both completely open. I much preferred 250psi (and 18 clicks LSC, 20 HSC). 270psi was very harsh.

I also tried 250 with the 2 spacers back in, the ramp-up was just too great as it felt like I was hitting a wall at 50-80% compression.

So now I'm back to 250psi and 0 spacers in anticipation for my next ride. I'm going to go do a 240psi check to see if my sag is acceptable.

What pressure are you running right now? Did you keep it at 225psi with 0 spacers or did you increase it a little? I'm afraid with my rebound damping as free-flowing as yours (17lsr/14hsr), it might be a little too bouncy. I'm going to go in the garage and try it out (I can get a decent gauge by jumping up and down on the seat.... carefully as to not damage the jewels...).

After a few bounces, I settled on:
    250psi
    0 spc
    11lsr
    15hsr
    13lsc
    20hsc

I want to absorb medium (and frequent, like deep brakebumps)/big bumps without throwing the bike out of shape, and the low-speed settings help keep things settled (I hope). Stability through appropriate recovery > grip/traction, which is why anyone would want suspension in the first place (right?).

Still figuring things out... let me know how your new X2 setup works and what you find with the fork. I'm back to 89psi, 1 spcr, 4lsr, 3hsr, 7lsc, 12hsc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchfezz View Post
    Sweet. Those settings are really close to where I was at before my ride yesterday.

I tried the 270psi, and it made a big difference (for the worse) even though my compression dials were both completely open. I much preferred 250psi (and 18 clicks LSC, 20 HSC). 270psi was very harsh.

I also tried 250 with the 2 spacers back in, the ramp-up was just too great as it felt like I was hitting a wall at 50-80% compression.

So now I'm back to 250psi and 0 spacers in anticipation for my next ride. I'm going to go do a 240psi check to see if my sag is acceptable.

What pressure are you running right now? Did you keep it at 225psi with 0 spacers or did you increase it a little? I'm afraid with my rebound damping as free-flowing as yours (17lsr/14hsr), it might be a little too bouncy. I'm going to go in the garage and try it out (I can get a decent gauge by jumping up and down on the seat.... carefully as to not damage the jewels...).

After a few bounces, I settled on:
    250psi
    0 spc
    11lsr
    15hsr
    13lsc
    20hsc

I want to absorb medium (and frequent, like deep brakebumps)/big bumps without throwing the bike out of shape, and the low-speed settings help keep things settled (I hope). Stability through appropriate recovery > grip/traction, which is why anyone would want suspension in the first place (right?).

Still figuring things out... let me know how your new X2 setup works and what you find with the fork. I'm back to 89psi, 1 spcr, 4lsr, 3hsr, 7lsc, 12hsc.
    Sorry I should have mentioned, I'm running about 214 psi. The shockwiz recommended I drop air pressure after I took out 1 spacer, so I elected to drop to 214 and remove another spacer . I completely relate to what you're talking about in regards to hitting a wall around 50-80 percent compression. I'm also not surprise if you're running higher rebound rates if your air pressure (spring rate) is higher. These suspension changes are wonderful though. Tuning is so fun!

I double checked my weight and I'm about 175-180lbs. I don't ride with a pack either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Sorry I should have mentioned, I'm running about 214 psi. The shockwiz recommended I drop air pressure after I took out 1 spacer, so I elected to drop to 214 and remove another spacer . I completely relate to what you're talking about in regards to hitting a wall around 50-80 percent compression. I'm also not surprise if you're running higher rebound rates if your air pressure (spring rate) is higher. These suspension changes are wonderful though. Tuning is so fun!

I double checked my weight and I'm about 175-180lbs. I don't ride with a pack either.
    Had a ride today. Felt alright, but maybe still a little too stiff in the back from a pressure standpoint. Back to measuring sag, I brought pressure down to 230psi and also changed the flip-chip to the "high" position, just to give me a little more BB clearance with the slightly reduced pressure as I appreciate not having pedal strikes. I also aired-down the X2 to see the exact amount of travel that the shock has. The shaft shows 55mm, but if you look at the actual amount of travel, it's only 51mm (the o-ring does not go all the way to the end.

So I sat on the bike and measured 17mm sag. Way too much. I also realized that I was weighting the seat/pedals probably too much, so I shifted more of my weight over the handlebars (more realistic with how I pedal and also descend). I got 15.3mm checking twice, so I think that's spot-on. Settings below are from my ride today, and the adjustments since:

250psi > 230psi
    Geometry Low > High
    0 Spacers (n/c)
    13lsr > 14lsr
    14hsr (n/c)
    18lsc > 14lsc (I might open it up on the trail Thursday if it's too "dead")
    21hsc > 20hsc

Fork (2019 Fox Factory grip2)
    85psi > 90psi
    0 tokens
    6lsr
    4hsr
    9lsc
    15hsc

Fork felt pretty good, but I think could use a little more pressure. I wanted a little more support in the berms and when braking, but I like lsc at 8/9.

Until next reply!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Could any of my good internet friends here let me know how close the rear brake posts are to their rotors? I just built up a La Sal Peak from scratch - almost literally. Long story, but I got my frame in pieces and had to attach the seatstays and chainstays to the front triangle. My rear rotor is so close to the rear-most brake post that I'm shocked I don't hear rubbing when I spin the wheel. I'm terrified to take this bike on the trail like this, as any bit of frame flex seems like it would cause the rotor to take a chunk of carbon out of the post. I'm thinking this is due to builder error and I made a mistake somewhere. First thought was mis-alinged GA tabs, but they're both in the same position (would have been tough to get everything bolted together had they been mis-alinged, I guess).

Anyway, help me internet friends Kenobi. You're my only hope!Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-img_20200613_175201.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-img_20200613_175132.jpg

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Are u using a boost rear wheel?
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah, sure am. I think this frame is boost specific.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Try installing the caliper and then put the wheel in. It may not be as close as you think.

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Just looked at mine. Seems about that close. I'm running a 180 mm on the rear.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looks like about a rotor width gap on mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-7eac4d78-ebff-478b-abb2-ccd22e2f24e9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks internet friends. Sounds like I may be good. Worst case, I guess the rotor just shaves a bit off and makes more room for itself. Here's to hoping this frame is crazy stiff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Enurjetik View Post
    Thanks internet friends. Sounds like I may be good. Worst case, I guess the rotor just shaves a bit off and makes more room for itself. Here's to hoping this frame is crazy stiff.
    My gap looks to be slightly less than the width of the rotor (203mm front/back, although I doubt the diameter has any bearing on whether or not it might be an issue in this case). Never noticed any rubbing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Has anybody here tried both an air and a coil shock on their LSP? If so, what were your ride impressions on each setup?

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Has anybody here tried both an air and a coil shock on their LSP? If so, what were your ride impressions on each setup?
    I have not tried a coil on my bike. I think it would actually work really well considering lots of us have been running no volume spacers, making the air shock more linear.....

On another note I got married two weeks ago and given that there is no where we can go on our honeymoon we decided to get the wifey a new bike. Time for La Sal Peak #2 to join the fleet! We ordered a small in 27.5+. Can't wait to get it!

mtbr member
    I just changed over to a Wolftooth 30 tooth elliptical chainring this morning, running NX Eagle drivetrain, bike comes stock with a 32 tooth direct mount. I've been making some poor decisions lately about off the beaten path trails to ride that go straight up and generally suck to climb. Loving it and embracing the suck, and while they might not be the funnest to climb, at least they're not IMBA machine built bull$h!t going up everywhere around here.

Back on point, I really enjoyed this morning ride. I've rode elliptical rings in the past, and enjoyed them. For some reason, its was really, really noticeable on the LSP today. I've always found this bike to be a little on the bobby side for climbing, regardless of shock setup or mode. That totally went away today. So very, very smooth. The power transfer seems much more, I dunno, consistent, and I didn't find myself hanging up on chunk as much while climbing...just seemed to power more smoothly through. Anyway, I gave away some top end gearing, but now have a super grindable low, and now most of my climbing is done 2-3 gears higher than the biggest cog in the back, better chainline for most of the time.

Awesome father's day gift...first time my wife got me a bike component as a gift, totally spot on on gearing and compatibility for the bike - and I didn't even ask for it. We had an off hand conversation about the elliptical chainrings a few months ago, and I had forgot about it. Did all the research herself too. She's a keeper (and a faster climber than me, by a long shot).

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I just changed over to a Wolftooth 30 tooth elliptical chainring this morning, running NX Eagle drivetrain, bike comes stock with a 32 tooth direct mount. I've been making some poor decisions lately about off the beaten path trails to ride that go straight up and generally suck to climb. Loving it and embracing the suck, and while they might not be the funnest to climb, at least they're not IMBA machine built bull$h!t going up everywhere around here.

Back on point, I really enjoyed this morning ride. I've rode elliptical rings in the past, and enjoyed them. For some reason, its was really, really noticeable on the LSP today. I've always found this bike to be a little on the bobby side for climbing, regardless of shock setup or mode. That totally went away today. So very, very smooth. The power transfer seems much more, I dunno, consistent, and I didn't find myself hanging up on chunk as much while climbing...just seemed to power more smoothly through. Anyway, I gave away some top end gearing, but now have a super grindable low, and now most of my climbing is done 2-3 gears higher than the biggest cog in the back, better chainline for most of the time.

Awesome father's day gift...first time my wife got me a bike component as a gift, totally spot on on gearing and compatibility for the bike - and I didn't even ask for it. We had an off hand conversation about the elliptical chainrings a few months ago, and I had forgot about it. Did all the research herself too. She's a keeper (and a faster climber than me, by a long shot).
    Bought an Absolute Black 30T Oval based on this! Thanks!

mtbr member
    What mm's sag do you guys run on the RS shock? My buddy just bought one & we're headed out for 5 days if riding over the holiday wknd. I'm sure I'll be helping him dial things in.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I don't know about mm, but I prefer to run between 25% and 30% (closer to 25%) "active" sag. By active, I mean I hold my cell phone camera pointed at the sag gradients and pedal around some flattish ground and see where the bike really settles. The static method of gently weighting the bike and seeing where it settles at doesn't account for stiction, in my opinion. If I'm at 30% or above, pedal strikes abound. If the pressure seems a little high (harsh) to get to 25% ish, then I run a little more rebound to compensate. Also, I climb in "trail" mode. I'm a clyde and your mileage WILL vary.

mtbr member
    I don't know about mm, but I prefer to run between 25% and 30% (closer to 25%) "active" sag. By active, I mean I hold my cell phone camera pointed at the sag gradients and pedal around some flattish ground and see where the bike really settles. The static method of gently weighting the bike and seeing where it settles at doesn't account for stiction, in my opinion. If I'm at 30% or above, pedal strikes abound. If the pressure seems a little high (harsh) to get to 25% ish, then I run a little more rebound to compensate. Also, I climb in "trail" mode. I'm a clyde and your mileage WILL vary.
    So the gradients on the stanchion are accurate to the bike? Do you know what stroke length the shock is?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    What mm's sag do you guys run on the RS shock? My buddy just bought one & we're headed out for 5 days if riding over the holiday wknd. I'm sure I'll be helping him dial things in.

Iíll check mine, but likely just north of 25. So many variables, but have him run as much as possible without it wallowing as a starting point

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Fezzari LSP Frame?

Hey Gents.. not sure if this is allowed here but does anyone have any interest in a 2020 La Sal Peak Medium Frame, X2 shock and Fox Factory 36 package? I love my LSP but its a bit too much for my trail systems here in NJ. Or maybe can you point me in the direction of a thread or forum that i should use instead?

I just thought in times of bike shortages that it may be helpful to post here for folks who are interested specifically with Fezzari LSP

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by blk91 View Post
    Another lateral flex comment, so my bike had been shifting a bit odd and I was doing some upgrades and it went to the mechanic. Mechanic said it felt terrible and had a ton of flex... Checked the bike out and every pivot was way loosen after that was resolved he said it was awesome. I had torque the pivots probably in less than a hundred miles before the he checked them and they were loose also I just hadn't thought that they would loosen again. Seems to be Similar to Gorilla Gravity in the sense that it is something that needs to be checked regularly or may require some loctite. My Freind torques is guerrilla gravity about every other ride after losing two separate horste link bolts need a ride.
    Did you settle on air pressure with your X2? I'm riding the same shock and very close to your weight ready to ride (~195-200lb). 260-280psi seems to be the right amount with no volume spacers, 7-10 clicks rebound (HS/LS), and very little compression damping.

I also have the Fox 36 factory (2019 grip2), feeling with such high rear pressure I need to go above fox recommended in the front to get a balanced feel. When things get steep and chunky the bike tends to go out of shape. I've done well over 80 rides on this and still haven't found my goldilocks setup! I'll sacrifice small bump if it means better control when things get rowdy. I like to go fast.

mtbr member
    Hey La Sal owners, curious if you find the steep seat tube raises the saddle further above the bars than you would otherwise ride?

I looked at a review of the Delano Peak and the guy looked like he planted a flag in the middle of his bike. I like to keep my saddle about level with the bars.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Just in case anyone is looking, im selling my small la sal frame for $1500. Its inexcellent condition and comes with an extra chainstay. Message me if interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by S​​usspect View Post
    Hey La Sal owners, curious if you find the steep seat tube raises the saddle further above the bars than you would otherwise ride?

I looked at a review of the Delano Peak and the guy looked like he planted a flag in the middle of his bike. I like to keep my saddle about level with the bars.
    I keep mine level and it's great. I am 6' 1.5" and ride an XL frame. 175mm cranks, and a 175mm fox xfer dropper.

just a man

Bummed!!

Regrettably, this bike didnít work out for me. The short top tube combined with the steep seat tube angle caused me a lot of trouble on technical climbs. I just couldnít get comfortable with the reach. Iím 6í3Ē with a bit longer torso than legs and I think an XL would be good up to about 6í1Ē..

For sale on PB and FB now 😢

Quote Originally Posted by frenchfezz View Post
    Looks great! Accurate description of the bike.

I've been messing with my fork a lot lately. Today a DSD Runt is arriving (dual chamber air spring), looking forward to seeing how it affects my ride. I've gotten really close with increased sag (~20% seated, around 75-77psi in the fork and I'm ~198lb RTR) and the compression at recommended from Fox at 10 clicks HSC 6-7 clicks LSC. I'm thinking with the Runt I can drop the psi to 65-70 (very supple initial), reduce compression, and still maintain geometry when charging brake bumps, rocks, g-outs, and berms.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    been on mine for a week now, see the photo for seat height relative to bar height. Pretty level, seat is maybe even a touch lower than the bars, tho I'm having some saddle issues, er, down there, and a touch lower-than-ideal-for-my-knees seat height is helping. I'm 5'6", 29" inseam, on a medium frame.

Responding to this post by the way:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-img_4714.jpg  

mtbr member
    So, I've been on my LSP for just under a year and a half. Originally, this bike was 27.5+, run with the chip in "high mode". Last year, I switched over to mullet setup, running 29 in the front, still in "high" mode. The really only consistent problem I've felt with this bike setup was in full on, level ground, XC mode. As long as things were going up, or down, the bike was fine, sometimes stellar. But on level-ish terrain, I always felt like I was on top of the bike, almost over the front sometimes. Pedal strikes have been a bit of an issue, but I mostly counter that by running high shock pressure with added rebound.

Today, and I can't believe it took me a year and a half to try, I switched the flip chip to the low position. All of my reservations about the XC level ground qualities evaporated, pretty much instantly. Climbing was as, or more, efficient, and descending was like I had set the bike to "auto carve" mode. This bike just handles soooo much better in the low position. Pedal strikes be damned, I'm not going back. But....I may run 29 in the rear to switch things up a little.

Ever since I ordered my wife her Delano Peak last month, I've been feeling a little jealous and wishing the LSP was a better all around bike. I was even considering a dropper with a setback clamp, something to ease up on the intensity of the cockpit geometry. That's not an issue anymore. Today I felt like I was part of the bike, not on or in it, just with it - if that makes any sense.

Another note, this thing manuals easier (well, I suck at manuals, but a little less now), and jumps are way, way more composed.

Anyway, that's what I learned about my LSP today.

Moderator Moderator
    Glad you can still learn new things!

Iím a slow learner in most areas...

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Anyone play around with over forking the La Sal up to a 170? Eyeballing the new RS ZEB.

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by TazMini View Post
    Anyone play around with over forking the La Sal up to a 170? Eyeballing the new RS ZEB.
    Mine came new with the 36 at 170mm. At first I thought this was good. Seemed to me to impair the technical climbing ability of the bike or me or both. I just sold my LSP and never got a chance to try it with 160mm but did recommend to the buyer he consider doing that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Mine came new with the 36 at 170mm. At first I thought this was good. Seemed to me to impair the technical climbing ability of the bike or me or both. I just sold my LSP and never got a chance to try it with 160mm but did recommend to the buyer he consider doing that.
    You had the XL frame, right? I have been on my Large for a year and it hasn't felt 'bad', but I feel a bit 'on top' of the LSP.

Recently I took a chance on uping my XC bike from L to XL and holy crap that made a huge difference. So now I am looking at the LSP and thinking I need to try an XL. Hate being that 6-1 in between person.

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by TazMini View Post
    You had the XL frame, right? I have been on my Large for a year and it hasn't felt 'bad', but I feel a bit 'on top' of the LSP.

Recently I took a chance on uping my XC bike from L to XL and holy crap that made a huge difference. So now I am looking at the LSP and thinking I need to try an XL. Hate being that 6-1 in between person.
    Correct XL. I think at 6'0"-6'1" the XL LSP could work better than for 6'3"person like me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I'm 6'1.5", they fit me with the XL and I think it was the right call.

Also, I recently swapped the 160mm 36 for a 160mm Zeb Ultimate. Transformed the bike, the Zeb is soooo much better. Bushing bind and poor lubrication plagued my 36, plus all of the added benefits that the Zeb naturally provides being so much more stout (I'm 205lb RTR and ride fairly aggressively).

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I bumped the stock travel from 160 to 170 on my 36. Prior to doing so I reached out to Fezzari and this is what they said, ďThanks for reaching out to us. Our product manager actually runs his La Sal at 170. You should be just fine, we just don't recommend going any bigger or else it with mess with the handling of the bike.Ē

I personally like it better and didnít notice much of a difference in regard to technical climbs, however, I only really care about the downhill performance and for that I like the half a degree slacker head angle. IĎd say if youíre thinking about going to a 170 then do it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great to hear about your experience with switching to low. As you know I had my sights set on a La Sal but ended up ordering the Delano, partly because I could get it sooner, partly because it seemed like it might be a better all around quiver killer. I'm excited for the Delano but I foresee myself spending the 30 days wondering about the La Sal too...

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Played around with longer stems and seat position on my Large La Sal, and decided to just sell this frame/fork and get an XL. So if anyone is in the market for a Large La Sal hit me up. 2019 Concrete color way.
    -The back up bike needs a back up bike: n+2

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

'21 LSP Received!

Finally received my LSP last week. Got it on its first trail this weekend. Freaking amazing improvement in just about everything over my Marin Hawk Hill 2! Climbs really well and descends like an absolute beast! This is a '21 fitted with Fox Factory 38 (160mm), MRP coil, SRAM X01 10-52T with absolute black 32T oval chainring. Raw carbon is beautiful!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fezzari La Sal Peak- Pictures and Discussions-flsp_091120.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    What a great build! Enjoy!

I keep on debating in my head about going coil in the back. The adjustability of the air spring is pretty nice tho.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Geometry adjust question

Looking for some input from the armchair engineers (or real engineers!) here. Is there a difference between using an angleset to adjust the head angle and using the flip chip? Specifically, could I get certain benefits by having the flip chip in low and then using an angleset to *steepen* the head angle rather than setting the flip chip to the high setting?

I'm enjoying the bike in the low setting with a 29/27.5+ mullet setup, but I figure this puts the head angle at ~64.5 degrees. I'm curious how a steeper head angle would feel on my tight and twisty local trails, but I don't want to reduce my top tube length. Consider this a thought experiment, so let's please focus on the change to the geometry numbers rather than the wisdom of going this route.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I built my LSP as 29er when I first got it but was curious what it would be like as a 27.5 so I stripped it down and rebuilt it. I havent gotten any time on the 27.5 other than driveway riding. The Lyrik on the 27.5 is 170mm but the bike feels pretty comfortable that way. Im waiting for a different stem and bar to show up to finish the build

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12