Canít decide- Mtbr.com

Thread: Canít decide

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Canít decide

Hi just joined yesterday. I live in Maine and am about to start riding again. My last bike was a 2000 specialized fsr m4. I rode a lot and was pretty good. Havenít ridden in about 6 or 7 years. Why?another discussion for another day.
    iím looking to buy a new bike. Itís between a Canyon cf sl 9.0 elite or the Fezzari La Sal Peak elite. I know thereís a difference in travel. But I can see the advantages in both.
    i wonít be riding as hard as I did as age is catching up. However I want a really good bike to ride here in the northeast.
    Also Iím 5í10Ē and want a large even though they say medium. Will that work?
    thanks for your help
    steve

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would say before you buy anything mail order, you ride a few bikes. Modern bikes are very different than your old one. Once you ride a few you'll have a better idea of what fits you and what you like.
    I had a 2000 SWorks FSR so I know the bike. I'm 5'11'' with 32'' inseam and have always ridden larges, but many of todays bikes I'd be on a medium.
    So if you can't get on any bikes to get a feel for size etc... then I'd Fezzari for sure since you have a 30 day return window. See if they allow that for a size change as well.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    I would definitely test ride something new first. Me thinks your trails in Maine are different than out west. I love my La Sal Peak for the riding and trails I do, but I'm imagining lots of granite and rocks, short punchy climbs with a lot of technical, slow riding (or is that elsewhere in the NE?). The LSP has a really low bottom bracket, and is prone to lots of pedal strikes. For the riding I mentioned above, it would not be my first choice. I prefer my less enduro-like full suspension + bike for the rocky, techy stuff.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    I think the LaSal Peak is going to "fit" closer to how your old bike fit. Although the geometry is different, the top tube is relatively short and it shouldn't feel too foreign for you.

I'm 5'9" and ride a large LSP. I definitely wouldn't want to ride a medium as it would be way too cramped.

Also, the LSP has cable routing for a shock that locks out in case you ever want to upgrade. I'm running the DT Swiss rear shock with 3 positions and it really has changed the bike. It could be my "one" bike for my midwest conditions if I really wanted it to. And it's pretty light.

Just a great all around bike.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" and I ordered a large Abajo. I can't imagen being 1" shorter would put you on a medium. Plus Fezzari will put a different length stem on your bike to fit you as part of their fitting process.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    After a lot of going back and forth I decided on a medium Canyon. I feel that itís more for the type of trails we have here in Maine. Thank you all for the help. Fezzari makes a great bike. My cousin who Iíll be riding with has one and raves about it