Bear pawl hubs- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bear pawl hubs

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Bear pawl hubs

Does anyone no what model hubs are on the Abajo Peak? Any tips for maintenance?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Smile My $.02

I'm not 100% sure, but it sure looks like they're the BMT-03 for the front and the BMT-04 on the rear, despite the fact that the website only gives a 28 spoke count for the MBT-04 and the Abajo and the Cascade both have 32.
    Bear Pawls | Roll With It

I have no maintenance advice because I know nothing.
    Last edited by jakeepooh; 07-03-2019 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer the 2nd question

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BujiBiker View Post
    Does anyone no what model hubs are on the Abajo Peak? Any tips for maintenance?
    I confirmed with Fezzari that these are BMB-004 but that's still going to give you no help because there's so little information on the website. And emailing bear pawls is worthless. However, they look like a simple pawl design so a basic GMBN or similar YouTube video will help with the maintenance. Bear Pawls says the hubs can be opened without tools, so it should be simple.

I'm interested in getting new freehubs for these because they actually have a neat system where you can easily upgrade the freehub to increase engagement or switch to a ratcheting system. But finding any of these parts has been like trying to find a unicorn. Let me know if you find anything!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks. I couldnít find anything either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BujiBiker View Post
    Thanks. I couldnít find anything either.
    Hey @BujiBiker, I am a crazy person and I spent way too much time trying to find a place to buy Bear Pawls hub parts. So, I found a U.S. contact person it and you can order parts to increase engagement or convert to ratcheting style freehub. And it's actually pretty cheap and easy to increase engagement! I don't want to post the info here because I found it through the notes of some distributor rep. But if you need to know more you can PM me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks. Any mention on quieting them down?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Mine aren't that loud to me. Have you tried pulling the freehub and giving things a quick clean and regrease around the pawl and teeth areas? Hubs generally sound the most quiet after that but maybe they did a crap job greasing at the factory.

mtbr member
    How has the new parts been working da_kube?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal_In_AZ View Post
    How has the new parts been working da_kube?
    So far so good. I have maybe 150 miles on the new hubs. Engagement and sound is great. I've heard another user had issues with longevity so fingers crossed that they last. Alex Rims did send him an e-bike hub for just about free after he burned through his.

They are super easy to maintain and upgrade, so I dig that. Pawls kinda scare me, coming from DT ratchets. But so far so good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by da_kube View Post
    So far so good. I have maybe 150 miles on the new hubs. Engagement and sound is great. I've heard another user had issues with longevity so fingers crossed that they last. Alex Rims did send him an e-bike hub for just about free after he burned through his.

They are super easy to maintain and upgrade, so I dig that. Pawls kinda scare me, coming from DT ratchets. But so far so good.
    Maybe I didnít follow along well enough...did you get all new hubs or just a new free hub with more pawls?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Oh yea. I just replaced the freehub and it was very easy to do. I upgraded from 36 points of engagement to 72 with a 6-pawl freehub for $70 shipped. If you are interested I can PM my contact to get the freehub.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Hey da_kube, I would like to upgrade my 36T freehub to 72T. Would you be willing to share your contact with me as well? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Hey guys. Evan from AlexRims is cool with me giving out the details for the freehub upgrade. You can email him here: [email protected]

I paid $70 for the 6 pawl hub. mtbnut1967, I think the teeth stay 36 but the number of pawls increase to 6 to double engagement. Bear Pawls has a 72T hub, but you gotta upgrade the whole hub, I think.

Here's a quick writeup on how to do this upgrade, since several have asked: Remove the wheel and then the cassette. Remove the endcaps with needlenose pliers (use something soft to protect the caps) and the freehub and carefully wrap those pawls with a rubber band to keep the springs from falling out. Be careful to note the orientation of the spacers on the hub and freehub. (if you find your hub engages poorly after, you missed this step). Clean all that stuff out with WD-40 or similar. Be careful you don't use something too crazy because it's bad for the sealed bearings. Lightly oil (Evan says TriFlow but I used wet chain lube) the hub teeth and new pawls on the freehub and also wrap that dude with a rubber band. Once you got that freehub on its way to seated you can remove the rubber bands and gently turn the freehub until all the pawls go click click click.

Hope that helps! Can anyone speak to the longevity of the hubs? The rims on the Cascade Peak seem decent so I'm hoping the hubs last. I've heard mixed reviews.

mtbr member
    I'm now running a steel, 3 bearing, simultaneously engaging, coil sprung, 6 pawl e-bike freehub body, received through Evan. This thing could kill a tank, if it was going fast enough. All the "leaf" springs on my prior two bear pawl freehubs were failing, and the aluminum freehub body was deforming in significant ways at the pawl pockets. I killed 2 in less than a year.
    All the popping and pinging went away with the new steel ebike rated hub. I cannot, however, speak to degrees of engagement. No idea, don't care, just want a bomber hub setup. I think I've got it now.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by da_kube View Post
    Hey guys. Evan from AlexRims is cool with me giving out the details for the freehub upgrade. You can email him here: [email protected]

I paid $70 for the 6 pawl hub. mtbnut1967, I think the teeth stay 36 but the number of pawls increase to 6 to double engagement. Bear Pawls has a 72T hub, but you gotta upgrade the whole hub, I think.

Here's a quick writeup on how to do this upgrade, since several have asked: Remove the wheel and then the cassette. Remove the endcaps with needlenose pliers (use something soft to protect the caps) and the freehub and carefully wrap those pawls with a rubber band to keep the springs from falling out. Be careful to note the orientation of the spacers on the hub and freehub. (if you find your hub engages poorly after, you missed this step). Clean all that stuff out with WD-40 or similar. Be careful you don't use something too crazy because it's bad for the sealed bearings. Lightly oil (Evan says TriFlow but I used wet chain lube) the hub teeth and new pawls on the freehub and also wrap that dude with a rubber band. Once you got that freehub on its way to seated you can remove the rubber bands and gently turn the freehub until all the pawls go click click click.

Hope that helps! Can anyone speak to the longevity of the hubs? The rims on the Cascade Peak seem decent so I'm hoping the hubs last. I've heard mixed reviews.
    Sorry for the late update but I was able to get the 6 pawl hub from Evan and the install was pretty straight forward. Thanks for the tip on using the rubber band around the pawls because that made the process so much easier. Tried it without on my first attempt and could not get hub to engage properly. Also, make sure you install the spacer on the hub first.

So far I love the improved engagement and low cost makes this a no-brainer. Glad I found this thread.