Bash guard mounts not drilled out on Cascade Peak- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Bash guard mounts not drilled out on Cascade Peak

Hi fellow Fezzari riders. I'm looking for a bashguard for my Cascade Peak and I notice that the standard mounts for this exist on my bike but haven't been drilled out on my frame. Is that standard or did I just get a mistake? If that's the case, is this something that can be done by a machine shop? It seems a bit risky, considering it's on the main frame. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Mine are tapped on the inside of the frame. Not all the way through tough. Never had one so I never really cared. Are they through bolted to mount?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by BujiBiker View Post
    Mine are tapped on the inside of the frame. Not all the way through tough. Never had one so I never really cared. Are they through bolted to mount?
    I think they are tapped on the wrong side because the image on the website shows holes by the chain guard and you can't screw in the third bolt on the nondrive side because the frame is in the way. I emailed Fezzari to hear their thoughts. It seems like an error. I also don't feel strongly about a bash guard but I was considering one. Some bikes like the Jeffy don't even have the mounts so no hard no foul, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    What we're talking about here are really called ISCG tabs (international standard chain guide, I think) and they should be tapped all the way through. On my bike, there were small circles of tape covering the holes on the outside tab faces. I'm sure this was done to keep paint out of the threads. This may be what others are seeing and thinking that the tabs are not drilled/tapped all the way through.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleriderguy View Post
    What we're talking about here are really called ISCG tabs (international standard chain guide, I think) and they should be tapped all the way through. On my bike, there were small circles of tape covering the holes on the outside tab faces. I'm sure this was done to keep paint out of the threads. This may be what others are seeing and thinking that the tabs are not drilled/tapped all the way through.
    You're exactly right. I found a bit of masking tape on mine and all is well.
    Last edited by da_kube; 08-21-2020 at 06:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Kube, did you find a bash guard?

The lower BB on the Abajo/Cascade is noticeable. I rode a fairly techy climb on Sat and hit the chainring a couple of times. So I'm really thinking about getting one. I'm just undecided on if I want to spend $100 on one or not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal_In_AZ View Post
    Kube, did you find a bash guard?

The lower BB on the Abajo/Cascade is noticeable. I rode a fairly techy climb on Sat and hit the chainring a couple of times. So I'm really thinking about getting one. I'm just undecided on if I want to spend $100 on one or not.
    I found some ugly ones on eBay that were also pretty heavy (150-200 grams) but they were around $40-50. But this dude on a Facebook forum kinda got mad at the price of things so he machined a bunch. I'm waiting to see if he can do for ISCG-03, but I think he's going to do a batch. They are light and minimalist and look good to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by da_kube View Post
    I found some ugly ones on eBay that were also pretty heavy (150-200 grams) but they were around $40-50. But this dude on a Facebook forum kinda got mad at the price of things so he machined a bunch. I'm waiting to see if he can do for ISCG-03, but I think he's going to do a batch. They are light and minimalist and look good to me.
    I donít do FB, so please let me know if he does a run for our bikes. Iíll buy one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal_In_AZ View Post
    I donít do FB, so please let me know if he does a run for our bikes. Iíll buy one.
    Right on. You can follow that link to his actual site for the purchase. $25 shipped, which seems pretty decent to me. He doesn't have our ISCG-03 on the site or made yet but he's working on it.

He was asking about the most common chainring sizes for ISCG-03 bikes, and I really have no idea. I assume you need 32T? That's what I need. He's also only doing it in black because it's a less common size.

mtbr member
    Right on. You can follow that link to his actual site for the purchase. $25 shipped, which seems pretty decent to me. He doesn't have our ISCG-03 on the site or made yet but he's working on it.

He was asking about the most common chainring sizes for ISCG-03 bikes, and I really have no idea. I assume you need 32T? That's what I need. He's also only doing it in black because it's a less common size.
    Yeah I need a 32T and black is prefect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Just to update anyone who wants these, my contact submitted his design and is ordering 50 ISCG-03 bash guards aluminum black on both sides (like the great Mos Def album) for 32T. But that's gonna take a month or so to complete. I'll post something here and in a general forum when they are ready to order.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Update: I tried to mount an ISGC-03 (old) guard and the holes weren't wide enough. I'm pretty sure these mounts are ISGC-05. Can anyone confirm that before I buy another part? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Are you able to measure the hole spacing? I found the attached drawings that are hopefully the correct spacing for the standards.
    Bash guard mounts not drilled out on Cascade Peak-screenshot_20200824-172024_chrome.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dd8h View Post
    Are you able to measure the hole spacing? I found the attached drawings that are hopefully the correct spacing for the standards.
    Thanks dd8h! I should have measured before I put the crank back on. In a rough estimate the holes measure more like ISGC-05 and the pattern of the tabs looks exactly the same. The bolt holes for the -03 didn't line up and were short so I'm pretty sure it's -05. I asked Fezzari for clarification because they said it was the old style.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    It's gotta be the ISGC-05. Can anyone confirm? I already have one bash guard I can't return. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bash guard mounts not drilled out on Cascade Peak-image1-1-.jpg  

Bash guard mounts not drilled out on Cascade Peak-image0-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That's ISCG-05. Modern bikes don't come with ISCG-03 anymore, that's an old standard.

What made you think its ISCG-03?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    That's ISCG-05. Modern bikes don't come with ISCG-03 anymore, that's an old standard.

What made you think its ISCG-03?
    That's what I thought but Fezzari said it was -03. I even double checked with them but I think they're mistaken. I just wanted to make sure before I bought the -05 piece.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    It's gotta be the ISGC-05. Can anyone confirm? I already have one bash guard I can't return. Thanks!

That definetly looks closer to 2.2 than 1.88 to me. I've been following this thread so I can order one for my 2021 Cascade and based on that pic I'm probably going to order ISCG-05

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    That definetly looks closer to 2.2 than 1.88 to me. I've been following this thread so I can order one for my 2021 Cascade and based on that pic I'm probably going to order ISCG-05
    DD8H, sounds good. My friend who breaks a lot of things suggested one from Blackspire. They have a good deal on the older model and mine came with a replacement bash guard (maybe a mistake?) for $75 shipped. Only bad deal is no returns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    DD8H, sounds good. My friend who breaks a lot of things suggested one from Blackspire. They have a good deal on the older model and mine came with a replacement bash guard (maybe a mistake?) for $75 shipped. Only bad deal is no returns.
    Thanks, I'll check that out. I was looking at the "OneUp ISCG05 V2 Bash" because it had a chain guide too, but I'm not sure how necessary those really are. This is going to be my first bike with a 1X drivetrain so I dont know if I want to find out the hard way
    That being said, the chain guide wouldn't do anything if I ever went to an oval front sprocket, so who knows...

Edit: just realized that blackspire one has a guide too

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    DD8H I dropped a chain twice in a year and unfortunately the second time was because a bunch of loose crap got kicked up and my derailleur was pointing to 1 o'clock by the time I was able to shed speed.

If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't even bother putting one on. The chain wrapped around the pedal and it could have been uglier than it was.

And of course my buddy got it all on video.

mtbr member
    Based on those pics kube, Iím going to order one from that FB link. I like simple and thatís about as simple as it gets.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    DD8H I dropped a chain twice in a year and unfortunately the second time was because a bunch of loose crap got kicked up and my derailleur was pointing to 1 o'clock by the time I was able to shed speed.

If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't even bother putting one on. The chain wrapped around the pedal and it could have been uglier than it was.

And of course my buddy got it all on video.
    Whelp, that helps my decision lol. Guess I'm ordering a bash guard with a chain guide. Any reason your buddy liked that brand specifically?

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Was anyone able to confirm if the ISCG-05 bolted up properly? Hoping my bike should be here next month and thinking I should order something sooner rather than later with how shipping times are lately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Was anyone able to confirm if the ISCG-05 bolted up properly? Hoping my bike should be here next month and thinking I should order something sooner rather than later with how shipping times are lately.
    Hi dd8h! Confirmed that new Fezzari Wiki/Abajo/Cascade Peak frames are ISCG-05. I installed one from Blackspire last week. (If you get one from Blackspire, have them send you the special spacer for the chainguard or plan on buying extra spacers.)

Note to owners of this frame: It was originally ISCG-OLD but got chained during one of the design updates. So you might want to measure to be certain if your bike is older than 2019.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Great info, thanks for confirming!

Hi dd8h! Confirmed that new Fezzari Wiki/Abajo/Cascade Peak frames are ISCG-05. I installed one from Blackspire last week. (If you get one from Blackspire, have them send you the special spacer for the chainguard or plan on buying extra spacers.)

Note to owners of this frame: It was originally ISCG-OLD but got chained during one of the design updates. So you might want to measure to be certain if your bike is older than 2019.