mtbr member
    Dec 2007

2018/9 Signal Peak

Big Edit:

So I ordered an XL frame because the reach of 485 was similar to the reach of 490 on my Smash... then I mocked up the build and the actual reach was 20mm greater on an XL Signal Peak than on my Xmedium Smash!

I think it must be the steeper HTA pushing the bars more forward, but regardless, it was way too long, so it looks like another frame delay cuz Iílll need to exchange franes. Iíll try to place an order tomorrow for a pre-weekend delivery.

Here's the build, all used parts other than the fork:

Signal Peak Largr Frame, Slate Blue, Fox Float DPS Factory
    RS Pike 29/27+, 140mm, 42mm offset
    FSA Integrated Headset
    Chromag 35mm stem, 750mm low rise bars
    One Up 170mm Dropper and One Up CF Lever, Serfas Seat
    Shimano XT brakes
    SRAM DUB GX 165mm Cranks, 26t Oval Chainring, GX Drivetrain, e13 Cassette, Chester Pedals
    DT Swiss 350 hubs/Duroc 40 rims, Ikon 29 x 2.6/ekon 29 x 2.8
    DT Swiss 350 hubs/Scraper i45 rims, Rekon 29 x 2.6/Kennebeck 29 x 2.6

I will say that the frame looks very good in blue, it's a matte finish, not as dark as it appears on the website, more of a blue gray, very attractive if you're into looks
    The green frame is gloss, also not bad looking, but it shows chips and it's very shiny. I'm way more into the matte look.

The finish on the frame is clean, no uglies, no chips, looks like new

The frameset comes with an FSA integrated headset, pre threaded internal housing, and a lovely Fox Float DPS Factory shock. That's a really nice shock for a mail order frame, esp for $2200.

Build pending...
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:51 PM.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+ (Frameset For Sale)
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak 29+
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife's)

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Glad to see Fezzari has their own section now! Also glad to see you got your frame situation sorted out.

Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Edit: large frame arrived, looks great, but no shock, so Iím waiting until next week when the shock gets here

Mock up to size is a much better fit, the large frame is true to size.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:58 PM.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Large Frame just arrived, building tonight, shoudl be riding tomorrow!
    Post some pics!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    29 x 2.6 Rekon, 10mm mud room to stays and seat post at full compression. No way would a bigger 29er tire would fit in the 27.5 suspension setting, maybe a 29 x 2.2-2.3

2018/9 Signal Peak-bc01fed7-a416-4c8b-a24b-48a1f34d61d8.jpg

Nice fit in size Large, definitely not a short bike, size as you normally would. One Up 170mm dropper fits fine at full insertion, though I may need to reduce the dropper travel 5-10mm as I donít have enough inseam for the post when slammed, might be wrong but the seat post tube is relatively long.

2018/9 Signal Peak-335856a9-9af7-4bea-aa26-910abea86171.jpg

Running rear brake and drivetrain later today, gotta go dig trails

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Looking good so far! I beat my SP up for 44 miles today at the Swamp, a trail known for being hard on bikes & riders, and it was ready for more when I wasn't. Liking this thing a little more every ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Looks good!

One tip when assembling this bike is to remove the fork and then run the brake and derailleur cable from the BB to the headtube. It makes it really easy to route if you do that.

For the shifter cable inside the chainstay you can remove the rear most port, feed the housing in the front hole, use a pick tool to grab the end of the cable housing, then replace the port cover.

If you havenít don it already your dropper is also easy to route from the ST to headtube. Itís harder to route from the headtube to rear of bike. With the fork removed it is easy to get the cables out the front port holes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yup, already ran everything, had to use my pinkie finger inserted into the B.B. to work the dropper housing up into the seat post tube, the brake housing has to be started from the back end because the fitting is too big for the front access, probably best to run the rear brake housing first since itís the largest.

I wouldnít say it was easy, the housing is stiff, the holes are small, my fingers are xxl. I had to hook the housing and pull it through, not impossible, but life is short and I ainít getting any younger. I have no problem with having my lines on the outside of the frame, it makes it easier to work on the bike.

Still gotta bleed the brake, install the shock, and adjust the drivetrain, should be up and running Tuesday morning for a pre-work ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Agreed the the external cables, so much easier to deal with and usually smoother runs for the shifter cable.

Another quirk I had was the left side headtube "cable port" cover was designed only for the brake line on top. I always run the brake line below the shifter housing for a cleaner cable job, so I had to trim the cover a bit with a razor knife so the brake line would fit.

They really should make covers for all options, the shifter housing is a little loose in the top "brake" notch. I'll eventually pop it off and put a wrap of electrical tape on the housing there to tighten it up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Finally got my shock, USPS misdirected the first shock, misplaced the second shock, I finally tracked down the first shock by meeting up with the carrier on her rounds; seriously USPOS is not worthy it these days.

Got the shock mounted, set up the suspension, ride around in circles, a few manuals, some hopping, feels pretty good, definitely not to steep, ready for the first ride tomorrow morning.

2018/9 Signal Peak-7cb5fa75-2e2d-4049-b016-880acbc0bd75.jpg

Preliminary ride feedback:

Took a short ride on my backyard trails, a few miles just to get a feel for the bike and set up the suspension. The suspension is very supple, didn't ride hard enough to max it out, but I ended up bumping the shock pressure from 160psi to 170psi to minimize bottom out and to improve pedal squat.

It's a very different bike from what I have been riding, HTA with a Pike 140mm fork is ~67deg, whereas my steepest HTA on previous bikes in the past couple years was 66deg. So it feels quicker, though not unstable, shorter wheelbase manages turns easier.

The build went well other than waiting for the shock, had to bleed the rear brake after threading the line through the frame; honestly I think internal routing is dumb and unnecessary. All routing cleaned up nicely with the frame plugs, no rattling, no issues with cable/chain growth which is minimal at full compression; maybe 10mm at most.

I ended up running a single spacer on the drive side BB (DUB) and used the adjustable spacer on the non drive side. I didn't have a 3mm offset boost chainring, so I'm running a 0mm offset ring and it works fine; backpedals without dropping the chain.

Brakes are Shimano XT single piston, running a shimanl post mount adaptor on both ends with 180mm rotors. Brakes installed and lined up easilly, no issues. These are plenty of brake for this kind of bike.

My fork is a Pike 140mm, 42mm offset, MRP ramp cartridge. It's a beefy fork for this kind of bike, I would have gone with a Fox SC, but they max out at 120mm; I'd take 130mm. The bike does not seem especially raked out, but then I'm used to bigger bikes. I could see running a 130mm fork, but I'm not feeling like changing air shafts at the moment.

The Fox Flaot DPS works well, easy set up, running the middle damping setting, 4 of 14 clicks on compression, 170psi, no issues, feels smooth and supple.

I'm running a One Up 170mm dropper pulled out ~10mm for a 34" inseam. I can get full insert without question, might even take a 185mm dropper; not worth the $$ at this point.

The Signal Peak is my lightest bike in a while and it's very noticeable, easy to pedal uphills, easy to hop, manuals well, frame is quite stiff even when landing sidewise off a hip. I'm running Rekon 2.6 on i45 Scrapers, so clearance is a tad tight at ~5mm with the chainstay wrapped. I'll be swapping wheels to Duroc 40 (id 35mm) and Ikon 2.6 which should improve clearance. I'd like to have another 5mm in clearance so I could run a burlier 2.6 out back. Conservatively, I'd say a Minion 2.5 WT is the widest aggressive tire you could run with adequate mud clearance.

Other than rear tires clearance, the bike rides pretty well for a hopped up XC bike. For some folks this would be enough bike for all mountain riding. I don't know that I'd hold back if I was in big technical terrain, but I'd ride slower to keep from maxing travel. I bought the Signal Peak for XC riding, maybe some endurance racing, bikepacking, gravel burning, etc... and for those purposes this is a great bike.

If I was a weight weenie or liked steeper HTA, the Fox SC 120mm fork would be ideal.

I'll see about getting a bike weight this week.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Trying to figure out if it would be better to make a Signal Peak more aggressive or try to scale back a La Sal peak and make it more XC. I feel like I want something right in between the two! Looking at lots of options, but intrigued by frame only/custom options because I like to build my self vs. completes. Ripmo, Primer, RM Instinct, Hightower ... all in the mix.

Thinking Signal Peak, but want HTA of <=66 and at least 140mm up front. But sticking with Pike or Fox34 type fork, not Lyric/36. ( Although a 36 would be sweet...which pushes you towards a La Sal )

coming from Intense Spider 29r comp w/140mm up front. ( guessing 67/68 HTA - but otherwise not so long, low or slack as new crop of bikes )

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The La Sal is a 150mm travel bike, which is a big mountain bike in my book, esp in a 29er.

Fezzari has a gap in the carbon frame lineup, there's nothing in a mid travel except the aluminum Abajo and Cascade. Of course there's nothing wrong with aluminum, but I'm sure most folks will want carbon at the price Fezzari is selling bikes/frames.

If you're looking at bikes like the Ripmo and Hightower, the Signal Peak is really not going to be the bike for you. Granted, it'll certainly go big, but it's really just a short travel XC bike.

If you can tolerate a longer travel bike, the La Sal would be a good choice, review are solid, price is exceptional.

If there were a carbon version of the Cascade/Abajo (130-140mm), that'd be a comparable bike to the Hightower (135mm). I'd buy that bike

Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    Trying to figure out if it would be better to make a Signal Peak more aggressive or try to scale back a La Sal peak and make it more XC. I feel like I want something right in between the two! Looking at lots of options, but intrigued by frame only/custom options because I like to build my self vs. completes. Ripmo, Primer, RM Instinct, Hightower ... all in the mix.

Thinking Signal Peak, but want HTA of <=66 and at least 140mm up front. But sticking with Pike or Fox34 type fork, not Lyric/36. ( Although a 36 would be sweet...which pushes you towards a La Sal )

coming from Intense Spider 29r comp w/140mm up front. ( guessing 67/68 HTA - but otherwise not so long, low or slack as new crop of bikes )

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    The La Sal is a 150mm travel bike, which is a big mountain bike in my book, esp in a 29er.

Fezzari has a gap in the carbon frame lineup, there's nothing in a mid travel except the aluminum Abajo and Cascade. Of course there's nothing wrong with aluminum, but I'm sure most folks will want carbon at the price Fezzari is selling bikes/frames.

If you're looking at bikes like the Ripmo and Hightower, the Signal Peak is really not going to be the bike for you. Granted, it'll certainly go big, but it's really just a short travel XC bike.

If you can tolerate a longer travel bike, the La Sal would be a good choice, review are solid, price is exceptional.

If there were a carbon version of the Cascade/Abajo (130-140mm), that'd be a comparable bike to the Hightower (135mm). I'd buy that bike
    Yeah, you're 100% right. maybe Fezzari will come out with a new version of one of those mid-travels bikes! That is more what I'm looking for, just taken by the value buzz around fezzari ATM.

i could still "tolerate" ( ha! ) the longer travel - it would be awesome in the desert and when things get technical ... but in reality that is a small portion of my riding ... and yet ... that's when i want it the most too. I can handle dragging the bigger bike around park city day after day ... i think ... but something in the middle would still be ideal.

thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Every few years I seem to reconfigure my quiver; with a lot of quiver refilling in between, and my current needs are a short travel 29er for long rides and non technical rides (Signal Peak) and a mid travel 27.5 for getting rowdy.

I ride a GG Smash 29er, itís currently set up as a 27.5+, 140/160 bike that serves my big hit duties. I changed from 29Ē to 27.5Ē wheels because I found it was just too tall with those big wheels and long travel. Iím moving toward a mid travel bike like the GG Shred Dogg, 27.5+ 140/150 bike with a shorter wheels base, shorter chainstays, and a lower standover/stack.

If Fezzari has a carbon version of the Cascade, Iíd be interested.

Iím sure the La Sal is s good bike, but itís a lot of bike for every day riding.

Yeah, you're 100% right. maybe Fezzari will come out with a new version of one of those mid-travels bikes! That is more what I'm looking for, just taken by the value buzz around fezzari ATM.

i could still "tolerate" ( ha! ) the longer travel - it would be awesome in the desert and when things get technical ... but in reality that is a small portion of my riding ... and yet ... that's when i want it the most too. I can handle dragging the bigger bike around park city day after day ... i think ... but something in the middle would still be ideal.

thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So Iím thinking about getting an SC 34 120mm 51mm offset for my Signal Peak. This is the fork that they sell with the completes. The 42mm offset Pike seems to make the bike a bit twitchy, and itís heavy, and Iím not even sure I need that much travel in a XC bike.

Also picked up a 45mm stem to try in pace of the 35mm stem, see if it slows things down.

Also contemplating an Angleset, the downside bring the additional 5mm of stack.

Snow ride I the morning if you can trust the forecast...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Lots of tweaking and riding this morning, mix of snow, firm, and muck. Switched to a 45mm stem, then a 60mm stem, played with bar height, seat position, gradually worked my way to a higher bar height with the seat centered, and stayed with the 45mm stem. I find the bike a little more stable and comfortable with a longer reach and the bars slightly about seat height.

When riding fast on rough terrain thereís a fair amount of feedback into the bike, more than an aluminum frame, Iím thinking itís due to the frame stiffness; it is a stuff frame with minimal flex. The stiffness is a nice change, I think I got used to sloppiness in my other bikes, the Signal Peak is very much a point and shoot bike. Low speed handling is good, no issues with tech.

Climbing is very efficient, nice forward position with the steeper STA, no issues with front wheel lift, though it manuals very easily even with the heavy front end (Pike). Though the reach is shorter than my Smash, the seat to bar distance is greater, so I used the longer stem to split the difference.

I was riding a Rekon 2.6 on s Scraper i45 our back, mud room was tight, maybe 5mm. I swapped wheels to Duroc 40 (id 30mm) and swapped to an Ikon 2.6 out back and Rekon 2.6 up front. The Ikon has a slightly lower volume than the Rekon and the edge knobbies are smaller; also the rim is 15mm narrower. The result is way more mud room, at least 10mm all the way around, which is more than adequate.

Since this tire set up was my intended end point, I think the tire capacity is sufficient for a typical 2.6 on a normal with rim (id 25-30mm), a wider rim like a Duroc 50 or Scraper i45 spreads the tire out too much.

Nice bike, lightweight, quick, pretty sporty for an XC bike. Iím still contemplating a different fork, but a reduction in travel would steeper the HTA, so I might have to add an angleset to compensate, not sure its worth the trouble. Still up in the air about the fork offset, maybe it isnít an issue.

2018/9 Signal Peak-511b8969-114c-4922-9af4-bdc2ce0c19b4.jpg2018/9 Signal Peak-939a3d0a-7c14-4f26-8dfc-e04e4f09dc66.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2018

Pretty much a Cascade peak but carbon?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Ben, my understanding is that increasing the fork offset decreases the "trail" which will actually make the steering more responsive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I know what youíre saying, but that hasnít been my experience, I have two bikes with 42mm offset forks and the change from 51mm made them handle quicker. Iím no engineer, but thatís my experience. Iím pretty satisfied, and forks are pricey, so Iíll probably stay with what I have or get an angleset.

Quote Originally Posted by derkommissar View Post
    Ben, my understanding is that increasing the fork offset decreases the "trail" which will actually make the steering more responsive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Have you considered Works Components headset instead of Cane Creek?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Right now weíre snowed in, so itíll be a bit before Iím back on the Signal Peak; my fattest tires are on my Smash (2.8Ē).

My goal is to ride the Signal Peak without making drastic changes in geo, do Iím just gonna ride it as is for a bit, though Iíd like to try it with s shorter travel 51mm offset fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm running the Fox 34SC 120mm with 51mm offset and the steering/handling is spot on for me (60mm stem). Very intuitive on low speed tech climbs and stable at speed. It's really similar to my Flux v4.

Although I do wish I had a little more travel up front on occasion. ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, thatís the thing, Iím using all my travel, so do I really want less? I also like the extra B.B. height. I may play with an angleset, but first I need done open trails to ride, really need to get some miles on the bike to figure out what I want.

It rides really well, but Iíve gotten so used to a long and slack bike, it just feels weird, not terrible, just different. For a bike like this, Iím not the best reviewer. For me the bike is a win if I ride it a lot.

Edit: Just ordered a CC Angleset ZS44/ZS56 with all three cups (0.5, 1, 1.5), should have it installed by this weekend. I've used anglesets in the past, never had issues with creaking or getting "stuck", liberal use of antiseize is helpful. My current HTA with a Pike 140mm is ~67deg, so a degree slacker should be pretty obvious.

I'm still intrigued by a lighterweight short travel fork, but I'm using all 140mm of my Pike now, so I'm not sure it's worth it, esp if I want a slacker bike; the angleset would at most offset the steeper HTA plus half a degree.

Jordan at Fezzari knows his stuff, thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    I'm running the Fox 34SC 120mm with 51mm offset and the steering/handling is spot on for me (60mm stem). Very intuitive on low speed tech climbs and stable at speed. It's really similar to my Flux v4.

Although I do wish I had a little more travel up front on occasion. ;-)
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Got the angleset and realized Iíd ordered the wrong lower cup. A tapered steerer wonít work with an internal cup (ZS), so you gotta use an EC cup, which results in a 13mm increase in stack. I know that, I was spacing out when I ordered; description said ďtapered head tubeĒ.

With a 140mm travel fork, Iím already 20mm taller than the stock 120mm travel fork, so an additional 13mm is kinda excessive and likely out of warranty.

If I was running the Fox SC 120mm fork, Iíd lose 20mm of travel and drop some weight, using an angleset -1.5 deg cup Iíd slack the HTA to 66 deg.

A compromise would be to reduce the Pike to 130mm and run the Angleset -1.5 deg cup which would give me an HTA of ~65.5deg.

My HTA is at 67deg now... at this point Iím not sure itís worth the effort.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Howís about the Signal Peak as a 27.5+:

2018/9 Signal Peak-dc8bb7a8-c893-413d-91d8-eb70cf77270b.jpg

2018/9 Signal Peak-65c20628-3e66-46e8-9048-1a3b0c1672d7.jpg

Flipped the chip, B.B. height 340mm, had plenty of mud room, Hans Dampf 27.5 x 2.8 on Scraper i45 rims, rides very sporty, much more playful and agile than the 29er set up.

Two bikes in one 👌

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I am trying to get my head around this. From what I gather the GA link is in the forward position for 27.5 and the rear position for 29, right?

And can you try the chip each way with 29 wheels? Or does that drop the BB too much?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think you can use the chip in either position for 27.5; probably be kinda low in the 29 setting, but you might have interference if you ran the chip in 27.5 while riding 29Ē wheels; or itíll just have a high B.B. Iíll check for interference the next time I swap to 29Ē wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia_Rider View Post
    I am trying to get my head around this. From what I gather the GA link is in the forward position for 27.5 and the rear position for 29, right?

And can you try the chip each way with 29 wheels? Or does that drop the BB too much?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Iím really digging the Signal Peak as a 27.5. Iím kinda surprised Fezzari doesnít advertise it more as a 27.5, it might be better suited as a short and wide bike, fits 27+ like it was ďmade for emĒ.

Iíll still ride the Signal Peak mostly as a 29er once my new Shred Dogg frame gets here, butvgir now itís a nice little trail bike.