Is your fat bike collecting dust?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Is your fat bike collecting dust?

I see them for sale all over Facebook and pink bike ....

Has the niche market dried up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I rode mine today. On perfectly good dirt at that!

mtbr member
    The Farley is but the Bucksaw isn't..
    Salsa Carbon Bucksaw- Trek Farley 8

slow
    I rode mine 4 times in 6 months, so I sold it.

mtbr member
    In the process of blinging out my son’s Bucksaw:

Is your fat bike collecting dust?-2f7a5c20-9a72-4893-8218-a2db2b360bc1.jpeg

Got the gold / TI chain and the gold handlebars should be in this week!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

This place needs an enema
    Mine (I have 3...) collect dust, and dirt, and mud, and sticks and leaves -- every time I ride them.

turtles make me hot
    Nope. Still love mine.
    I like turtles

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Depends on many factors.

Your bike ownership philosophy. The amount of storage you have. How much you perceive your performance to be related to how light your bike is, and how quickly you can complete a lap on a race course. How often you get conditions where a fatty is truly, the only tool in the box that'll work. And, how much desire you have to be out in said, prime fatty conditions.

I'm sure there's more, but that'll do.

If you can only own one bike for whatever reason, and you never really have fat conditions? Why own a road bike if you're across the road from miles of singletrack and prefer the woods?

If you can own multiples, but feel that any bike not being ridden at least a few times a month, is a waste of space? Why own a bike that truly, shines in less frequent situations?

If you're a total Starva dork, and need to crush all your virtual friends with your perceived prowess, and anything that creates one iota of drag or one ounce more weight than *needed*, why own a slightly slower, slightly heavier bike, that really only shines when it snows or if you do slow paced adventure riding, or live near a beach that you like to cruise?

They will never be the fastest, nor the lightest, and certainly they consume "quiver space", but you can pry mine from my cold dead fingers, because when the snow flies, and gets a nice pack to it, and my friends and dogs and I, float through the night on pillows of air, hovering ever so tenuously on top of a pillowy blanket of white? That's about as much fun as I know how to have with my pants on....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Collecting dust and dirt on the trail...as it is my only bike! My son needed a hardtail due to growing and racing in NICA so I gave him my other bike. Lots of fat bikes up here in MN.

EAT MORE GRIME
    yup

but I bust it out when ice starts to form on trails. it is my winter beater studded stomper

I used to ride it all summer, but after proving to myself I can PR on it as well as my XC bike, I now just keep the studs on and wait for winter.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Mine (I have 3...) collect dust, and dirt, and mud, and sticks and leaves -- every time I ride them.

Beat me to it.
    With 2 forks, 2 sets of wheels, and 3 sets of tires it finds a lot of use.

AND...I have one for sale.
    Is your fat bike collecting dust?-00a0a_7mwfpnna0s8_1200x900.jpg

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    They will never be the fastest, nor the lightest, and certainly they consume "quiver space", but you can pry mine from my cold dead fingers, because when the snow flies, and gets a nice pack to it, and my friends and dogs and I, float through the night on pillows of air, hovering ever so tenuously on top of a pillowy blanket of white? That's about as much fun as I know how to have with my pants on....
    Yeah, but even on a day with hero dirt, I take the Fat bike. It makes me question every other bike I own...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post

We had two fatties and I kept them for a long time after I used them regularly out of sentimental reasons, but eventually it just didn't make sense to have them taking up space in the garage anymore. When I lived on the East side of the Rockies with snow on the ground for 4-5 months of the year they were rad. Once I moved to the coast and could ride a 2.4" tire all winter without issues they didn't get used any more. If we had good beach riding that might have saved them, but our beaches are small and rocky without connecting up.

I did keep my 29+ bike as that made a lot more sense where I live now.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Like many here...Collecting dust,

and dirt, mud, leaves and a little horse poop.
    Snow, ice and a little salt in the Winter months.

But Best of all collecting new riding Buddies and a New Girlfriend!

It's actually my MTB that hasn't seen any trail time since I bought my first Fatty in September 2018.
    2020 Trek Farley 7 Roarange
    2018 Trek Farley 7 ViperRed

mtbr member
    I only ride mine November - spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Mine only collects dust till I clean it. Then on to new dust. 2 Identical bikes so I don't have to transport them 1,800 miles, so I guess one does collect dust while the other sheds and shreds.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    I ride mine year round. I have a Salsa Cutthroat that sees some gravel miles but the Fatbike gets most of the action!
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!:cool:

mtbr member
    No, I alternate pretty regularly. I used to take it only when solo, but not use it with others on FS too. I've had no issues keeping up on 4" JJs.

I admit the bike isn't as fun when in full snow mode with 4.8" Bud/Lous and rear axle in rear position, but Spring through Fall it makes me question why I have my Tallboy.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    With the trails so dry the Bucksaw is now coated in it. Kidding aside I split time last winter between my 5" rigid fatty and the 4" FS 'saw about equally. The rigid used for the heavier stuff and the bucksaw with studs for icy/frozen days or indoor stuff with the summer treads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I ride in the winter, plus I still like switching it up with the trail bike the rest of the year and ride it once every week or two.....and it's still enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by one piece crank View Post
    Yeah, but even on a day with hero dirt, I take the Fat bike. It makes me question every other bike I own...
    I hear ya, no disagreement, they are a ball, any time. Just focusing on the factors that they truly excel at, vs where they are likely the least, *best choice*.

End of the day, run what ya brung as far as I'm concerned. I jumped off the "OMG the industry has a new trend, gotta sell my old, outdated useless, utterly unridable bike from last year, because some wanker in a flat brim said this is the new gnar gnar bro beater to end all bro beaters" bandwagon a bunch of years ago now....

Got an itch, I scratch it. But I don't care one iota for what the industry or others in it, say is the best.

YMMV.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Not any more! Fall is in the air, so the Farley is seeing more love. It does tend to sit during the summer months when I ride more road and gravel. But, late summer, I typically get it out and show it some love and service as needed. It'll be my race bike for Iceman in a few weeks and my primary ride until about March when the temps start to warm again. I'll try to make 3-4 races/events on the fat bike over the fall/winter months. No reason not to ride it on trails in the summer, but, I tend to ride the FS MTB and hardtail more in those months.

Music & Bikes
    I hear ya, no disagreement, they are a ball, any time. Just focusing on the factors that they truly excel at, vs where they are likely the least, *best choice*.

End of the day, run what ya brung as far as I'm concerned. I jumped off the "OMG the industry has a new trend, gotta sell my old, outdated useless, utterly unridable bike from last year, because some wanker in a flat brim said this is the new gnar gnar bro beater to end all bro beaters" bandwagon a bunch of years ago now....

Got an itch, I scratch it. But I don't care one iota for what the industry or others in it, say is the best.

YMMV.
    Bightly put , totally agree !!!

Not respecting copyrights , I would copy/past/post that in the 26er forum
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

^ha!!^

And it's not that nothing is ever an improvement, I think we can all agree, tubeless is amazing, I really like 29+. disc brakes are great, I even surprised myself with how much I like 1X drivetrains.

So it's not that all new sucks and I want to go back to the late 80's.....

All new every year. with product support dropping off after a year or two, is dumb and wasteful.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Like others have said. Mine collects tons of it when I'm riding. I live in Florida so snow is not much of a danger. I also haven't been to the beach. There are many who think fat bikes can only be used in a few scenarios. They wrong. I use mine for everything.
    It mainly started because I cut my own trails on my property and they are still pretty rough. The fatty is much better than my XC bike on my trails. However, I still like the fatty in areas where most would assume the XC bike is best. The XC just doesn't have the fun factor the fatty has for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, haven't ridden in 11 days. And they've been shuffled back and forth around the basement where I'm doing drywall work. Literally dusty! (fixing foundation wall leak behind their normal home)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Fatty makes commute for fun

Nice 40° commute this morning. Mostly road and bikeway's on the 20mi ride into the office. On the way home I'll likely hit a section or two of singletrack to get it 'dusty'. Some days I'll ride the hardtail, others a gravel bike. But the fatty is always more fun.

Days are getting too short already!

mtbr member
    Same here Indy! Nice 45 deg. commute here for 15 mi. on the fatty. I also try to hit some dirt on the ride home. Mostly paved on the way to work.
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!:cool:

trail gnome
    It was collecting dust, but then I busted the fork on my regular ride, so I have been riding the fatty instead.

It's been fun. I've had to adapt my riding style in subtle ways. It has introduced a new element to my rides, on trails I was getting bored of riding.

It climbs like a goat, and it's rewarding when I manage to clean a technical climb that all of my friends had to push their full-suspended rides up.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

Rippin da fAt
    The dust collected by the Mayor is "earned" not welfare dust...

There are the rides that are great on a plusser and there are the rides that even a plusser isn't fat enough for the loose dirt cause there's only so much air to let outta the tires.

A fat on backcountry is a good opportunity to eliminate hiking.

The bike that hasn't seen the light of day in some time is equipped with 2.WTF...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

be1
    mtbr member
    yes. i like my non-plus fs bike much more than my pugs. maybe i'll get the pugs out soon ...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ... How much you perceive your performance to be related to how light your bike is,...
    More in line with the number of potato chips I buy.

... that any bike not being ridden at least a few times a month, is a waste of space? ...
    What else would I keep in the front room next to the piano?
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    Gold bars installed. Gold / TI chain installed. Orange grips installed. Just waiting on the gold headset spacers and seat and I’m going to call it “blinged out”. I’ll post pics when all done
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post

What else would I keep in the front room next to the piano?
    Right?

I keep mine in the basement man-cave with rest of my toys

Is your fat bike collecting dust?-1281009d1569084252-new-bike-day-2020-trek-farely-7-newbikeday.jpg

mtbr member
    Okay can’t resist, here’s an updated in-progress pic:

Is your fat bike collecting dust?-0974c099-2e4a-4fba-b873-8c3853e54225.jpeg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Well, not really, but I am waiting for the snow to fly. I have ridden it a few times since getting it a few months ago, but I prefer my FS bike until it gets cold. I just ordered some Wrathchilds for it, so I'm excited about that.

Tribe Member
    Own one to ride it in the snow. My trail bike is used from March - November.
    i did do a bit more bikepacking this summer with my fatty. Got a set of bags made for it and that was some kick ass fun.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I guess I'm fortunate enough to have a small stable of bikes and to be honest use them all.
    I have my fat bike sitting in the corner with 5" studded tires waiting for winter. I may only get to use it 10-12 times a year but I will never give it up, absolutely love riding it when conditions allow. Not that I couldn't ride it year round I just choose not to.

mtbr member
    I'm in NE and have always ridden year round but never had a fatty. I would love to have one and would probably ride it a fair amount in the winter but not as much in summer. I'm lucky to have trail options close by with less snow. The coast is only 30 minutes away so 12" in my driveway is typically 1-3" at coastal trails so year round riding is fine with my 'traditional' FS (2.5" tires).

I think the market has adjusted from the initial hype of fatbikes. Around here there was a 'craze' a few years back and they seemed to be all over the place during summer, winter, didn't matter. Now I don't see them much. Obviously a few more around in winter.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    i ride mine year round, 29+ mode in summer
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member

My Bucksaw sometimes collects blood

Is your fat bike collecting dust?-img_1129.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I ride some flavor of fat almost daily, even if it's only my BigFatDummy with the kids on back.

Somehow i _feel_ like I'm setting PR's on the local trails on my bucksaw on most rides. strava doesn't lie, though - i was a slightly faster on my old 29er (long sold)... but man the big tires are fun.

in the next few years I will probably sell the bucksaw, and go back to a ~2.4" 29er.... but ONLY after I have found a ~ICT or Mukaluk on 100mm rims. Fat is just too fun.

I will say fat has two things going for it that may not apply to everyone:
    - I'm several inches over 6' and around 200#; "big" is obviously all relative
    - while i'm NOT fast ... I happen to be a little faster than most of my friends, being a tad slower has no downside.

Did i mention they are fun?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

obligatory

Is your fat bike collecting dust?-qw66zhbaccr31.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by high_desert_mud View Post

Did i mention they are fun?
    Underside of the Top Tube on Trek Farley's...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is your fat bike collecting dust?-funner.png  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Not for much longer.... it’s about to become the “A” bike again in a few weeks when the weather breaks

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Running mine all year long

But winter is better imo.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    My bike has been collecting dust all summer, but it's been snowing all day today, so it won't be long before it sees its next 5 months of service. Basically it gets winter only usage and my trail bike gets summer only usage.

sluice box
    I only got mine to use as an Instagram prop.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

ya, does collect some

Is your fat bike collecting dust?-lg-thinq-pics-042.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    No, it's gathering moisture.

Is your fat bike collecting dust?-72614144_10101824324321628_7480613692711632896_n.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Gathers a lot of dust from being ridden! Now that the seasons have changed though, moisture has replaced the dust. I'll NEVER be without at least one fat bike in my quiver!

Is your fat bike collecting dust?-295187bd-681f-4d6c-bb96-61250b0076c6.jpg

Loud tyres save lives
    Jul 2013
    I bought my fat bike for the wet and muddy Scottish trails and five years later it's still the best bike for that. In better weather I prefer the 29+ but the fat bike is still the best for powering through the mud and it's the one I've ridden the most as whatever the conditions it will make light work of it.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My fatback skookum collected a new 29+wheelset (spanks and dt hubs), 29 x 3 tires, and a few more scratches and nicks. 😁

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    It's collecting dust and the tires are flat right now. Only a winter bike. No need to ride it during the warmer months.

mtbr member
    Mine is currently in it's warmer weather setup. It will will go rigid with 27.5 x 4.5 wheels once the snow starts falling.
    Is your fat bike collecting dust?-img_0190.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    Mine is currently in it's warmer weather setup. It will will go rigid with 27.5 x 4.5 wheels once the snow starts falling.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0190.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	398.1 KB 
ID:	1287201
    What rig is that ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    My fatback skookum collected a new 29+wheelset (spanks and dt hubs), 29 x 3 tires, and a few more scratches and nicks.
    You like 29x3 better ? Also not a fat bike btw

mtbr member
    What rig is that ?

2014 Mukluk with a fresh powdercoat. I found a small crack just above the seatstay seattube weld. I got it repaired, and repainted.
    Edited to add: 27.5 x 3.8 tires on 45id rims in single speed mode.

mtbr member
    Wait, fatbike's aren't cool anymore? I didn't get the memo. Feeling like a rube right now, having ridden that thing all summer, having fun, genuinely enjoying riding it. Only to find out it's not cool. Am I not on the intraoffice memo anymore? Can I subscribe somewhere to make sure I get these updates?

Co Springs

That's quite a riddle !
    I suspect some with 3 to 12 bikes just keep adding and others sell or trade some off at times. I'm cheap and only have so much room. My day is coming to sell something.

Some over here in my area seem to use a fat bike as the daily driver but with fall and winter moving in, I'd expect to see more out there (here). Many riders just choose their seasonal or area specific ride based on the choices of bike inventory they own.

What's your story- Have you avoided niche marketing or are you stuck in the quagmire ?
    I'm looking for words of wisdom and the next mousetrap to buy.

*BTW - Thanks for waking up the fatties, enjoying the pictures and stories.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hmm... I see thousands of 27.5ers and 29ers for sale all over Facebook and Pinkbike. Are those niche markets drying up???

It's fall. People are selling FBs when the winter demand is higher. I'll be selling My Fatboy in another month or so once I have my new Fatskey build done. And I do collect some dust on the trails with it occasionally but have multiple bikes to choose from.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Mine collect dirt dust from new housing construction barren land.
    It also has collected some shrugs in the derailleur and brakes.

It was quite fun, blasting around the few square miles of barren land. I will probably do the same tomorrow but will bring my fishing rod just in case I want to throw a few lines out to catch the polluted fish downstream of a metropolitan city of ~1.25M.

While I was riding I noticed a few dirt bike tracks with large nobbies. But its better riding with a fat bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Novelty has definitely worn off for me but not quite ready to sell mine. I don't mix it up and ride the fattie during summer anymore, strictly use it for winter now and it sits in the basement the rest of the year.

Pains me to say though that I just don't find it that fantastic of a winter bike for my conditions either. Snow isn't that consistent and when it does come the riding feels extremely slow and grueling (trying to break trail on hilly singletrack). Most often I know I'd get a better workout if I just stuck to Zwift whenever conditions got bad enough I couldn't ride my normal trail bike, but I'm basically hanging on to the fatbike so I at least have the option to get outside when conditions are bad.

This is all very conditionally dependent, if I lived somewhere where the snow stuck around longer and there were groomed trails I think I'd have a completely different outlook. Just for me, a fatbike hasn't turned out to be the gamechanger I'd hope'd.