x9 rear derailleur- Mtbr.com
    nvphatty

x9 rear derailleur

I've been debating between a med & long cage for my 1x9 32-11/34 setup so I wanted to get feedback mainly if the med cage will perform the duties??

mtbr member
    Medium will work fine.
    I use one on a 22/32 front & 12/36 rear set up.

Top tip, pull off the jockey wheels, remove seals & pack with quality grease before fitting. Repeat every 6 months to keep them sweet.
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by motorman View Post
    Medium will work fine.
    I use one on a 22/32 front & 12/36 rear set up.

Top tip, pull off the jockey wheels, remove seals & pack with quality grease before fitting. Repeat every 6 months to keep them sweet.
    my instincts felt it would but wanted some reassurance thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Timely post- I just switched from my X9 med and 12/34 to my X9 long and 12/36 last night. The med would have worked, but the long seems to shift into the largest cogs more smoothly. Either will work though.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Timely post- I just switched from my X9 med and 12/34 to my X9 long and 12/36 last night. The med would have worked, but the long seems to shift into the largest cogs more smoothly.
    Would the med have worked with the 12/36?? if so could it have been a matter of fine tuning for either setup??

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I use a medium cage x9 with my 32/22 11-32 setup and it works brilliantly.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    I've had absolutely no problems using a medium cage X9 on a 1 x 10 system using a 32tooth ring and 11-36t cogs.

Cage length is important for multiple front chainrings, but almost any 1 x 9 or 1 x 10 can use any of the cage configurations (short, med, long) as you don't have to worry about chain-slack due to big drops in tooth size at the front rings (ie: from 42 to 22). Most 2 x 10 systems now use mid-cage derailleurs for this very reason.

If you need reassurance, check the manufacturers spec for your RD and it'll call out the maximum range for a given model.

nvphatty
    Thanks everyone for the interest and replies with details.

Members who have read this thread: 0