since 4/10/2009

WTF Giant? Two new fatbikes

Lord, if this isn't a "Johnny come lately" scenario, I dunno what is.

https://fat-bike.com/2019/02/giant-b...-2-new-models/

What were they thinking entering the market when everybody else is streamlining because the niche isn't really growing anymore?

mtbr member
    I like Giant - they make honest bikes.

They should sell well.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just saw that too.
    Most interesting is that it seems Maxxis is now producing the Colosus in 27.5x4.5?? A tire that has gone pretty much overlooked in its 26 form.
    Also it appears that they might be using a rim of their own design.

The red is nice and the chainstays appear to have some significant curves, but maybe that's just the lighting.

Up In Smoke
    You got my interest, looks sweet and I like the price point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Also like adjustable dropouts, although it doesn't look SSable

mtbr member
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Friends a giant dealer in canada and the only bike store in the city that doesnít have fatbikes. cant be the only one in NA in the same situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Friends a giant dealer in canada and the only bike store in the city that doesnít have fatbikes. cant be the only one in NA in the same situation.

buddy of mine is a giant dealer and carries other brands that offer fatbikes. if your buddy wanted to sell fatbikes, he never had to rely on giant.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Yawn...
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Yawn...
    Yup.

All fat, all the time.
    Wow very late to the game.

Elitest thrill junkie
    lol@

Weight:The most accurate way to determine any bikeís weight is to have your local dealer weigh it for you. Many brands strive to list the lowest possible weight, but in reality weight can vary based on size, finish, hardware and accessories. All Giant bikes are designed for best-in-class weight and ride quality.
    What's a matter Colonel Sanders? Chicken?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    buddy of mine is a giant dealer and carries other brands that offer fatbikes. if your buddy wanted to sell fatbikes, he never had to rely on giant.
    The other ones are boutique and dont make them either. Not sure he needs to bring in a whole new brand just for fatbikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Pressfit BB = Fail
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The rims are interesting though. 86mm internal is Significantly wider than any other 27.5 aluminum option.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    Pressfit BB = Fail
    They are fine.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    They are fine.
    Yah i wreck shit like crazy and all 3 of my bikes have them and no issues. Was like $20
    When i thought it was a bb to get re pressed and they loc tited it in. Was the stupid giant wedge seatpost clamp thing not the bb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yawn...
    Maybe, but this applies to most fat bikes. I have owned and ridden a bunch of them, and they all perform about the same if you compare them directly (similar materials, tire/wheel sizes). Street price (because Giants are always on sale around here) on the 2 will be about $1350 and $1750 for the 1, which makes them decent deals.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    lol@

What's a matter Colonel Sanders? Chicken?
    It's their way of saying: 35#

Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Maybe, but this applies to most fat bikes. .
    Nah, it's because it's another big boy company, trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of people who are so vacuously brand loyal they wouldn't buy a new type of bike till "their" brand, blessed the concept by making one, even if it's five years late and filled with all manner of tech (say, PF BB) that sucks.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    It's their way of saying: 35#
    Well, the tires are likely a pound each over the weight of a JumboJim so probably best they donít quote weight. And good on them for not going to the 3.8 mini fat tire size or the ubiquitous JumboJim 4.8 on 26. Looks like a true choice to me. I really like the adjustable dropout,recently slid mine back on my Wo due to frozen mud buildup on seatstay causing noisy rub. Nice to be able to make adaptations to different situations.

But if I were buying new I would wave the flag and get a Wyatt.
    Last edited by htrdoug; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:08 PM. Reason: content

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by htrdoug View Post
    Well, the tires are likely a pound each over the weight of a JumboJim so probably best they donít quote weight. And good on them for not going to the 3.8 mini fat tire size or the ubiquitous JumboJim 4.8 on 26. Looks like a true choice to me. I really like the adjustable dropout,recently slid mine back on my Wo due to frozen mud buildup on seatstay causing noisy rub. Nice to be able to make adaptations to different situations.
    Adjustability is nice, but hardly unique or innovative.

Price point is average for what the bike is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Was the stupid giant wedge seatpost clamp thing not the bb.
    Forgot about their stupid wedge seatpost clamp. That actually is a bigger downer than a PF BB.

Overall the 2 giant fatties are not bad values for LBS bikes, but late to the party, especially since all direct-sale brands already have the market penetrated. 5 years ago hey would have had winners.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Those criticizing Giant for being late to the game, couldn't the same be said for any bike company started after 1990? It's good to have options. Especially options that will create competition and possibly grow that aspect of the sport. Honestly, I think more people would like fat tires if they tried them. I've had more fun on my fat bike than just about any other bike I've ridden in the last 10 years.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Those criticizing Giant for being late to the game, couldn't the same be said for any bike company started after 1990? It's good to have options. Especially options that will create competition and possibly grow that aspect of the sport. Honestly, I think more people would like fat tires if they tried them. I've had more fun on my fat bike than just about any other bike I've ridden in the last 10 years.
    People say e-bikes are the future(even I've said it) but honestly I believe these fat bikes are the future!

mtbr member
    Don't know if I've ever ridden a Giant, but it's always seemed like an extremely boring brand to me.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Went to the LBS to ride one today - hate trying to judge bikes based on the spec sheet.

Lower price build was the only one in my size. Nice solid ride quality, felt fast and competent. Comfortable riding position. Tire rolls well but nothing special in the snow. I like riding groomed trails so not sure the dropper post is that useful for my riding style - but on the other hand I ride Lake Minnetonka here in MN and on bumpy lake ice might help you stay in the saddle and keep your weight on the back tire.

I've got my eye on an Otso so comparing the two is like apples and oranges since the Otso's start at $1k more. But it was better than I thought it would be and made me want to try the upscale one when it comes in to stock.

Bottom Line: Worth trying.

turtles make me hot
    WTF Giant? Two new fatbikes-wtf-rim.jpeg

Why did they do this? I was told they ship the bike with Schraeder tubes and the second hole is for a Presta valve in case you go tubeless.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nah, it's because it's another big boy company, trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of people who are so vacuously brand loyal they wouldn't buy a new type of bike till "their" brand, blessed the concept by making one, even if it's five years late and filled with all manner of tech (say, PF BB) that sucks.
    So really every company except Surly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ^^^ See, now that's innovation!

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Don't know if I've ever ridden a Giant, but it's always seemed like an extremely boring brand to me.
    That's what I thought until I got a smokin' deal on a new Glory back in 2015. That's been the funnest, hardest ridden, bomb-proof bike I've ever ridden.

I was so impressed with that bike my most recent frame I bought to build up was a 2019 Giant Trance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Why did they do this? I was told they ship the bike with Schraeder tubes and the second hole is for a Presta valve in case you go tubeless.
    That actually is a good idea and i wish more rims would come with both Schrader and Presta option.

turtles make me hot
    I want to know what FV and AV stands for
    I like turtles

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    FV stands for Fancy Valve and AV stands for Average Valve... :P

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I was going to answer, but I cannot beat Rodney's answer as it is far far better than mine!

(French valve. Maybe foreign valve? French.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    If you're riding one of the unboring fancy brands, then there's reasonable odds you're riding a bike built in one of Giant's factories, and are paying the extra for the unboring fancy sticker.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by rodney View Post
    fv stands for fancy valve and av stands for average valve...
    perfect
    I like turtles

So really every company except Surly.
    I was more thinking any brand other than Trek, Specialized, or Giant really, but there's a few other main tier brands that can't be bothered to do anything but follow the tail in front of them too.

I sell surprisingly few Surlys really, compared to other brands, if the implication was I'm some sort of fanboi exclusively to them, though I do like the brand, sure. I'm mostly just bored with brands to scared to take risk anymore.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    Forgot about their stupid wedge seatpost clamp. That actually is a bigger downer than a PF BB.

Overall the 2 giant fatties are not bad values for LBS bikes, but late to the party, especially since all direct-sale brands already have the market penetrated. 5 years ago hey would have had winners.
    Direct-sales brands require assembly which lets face it, will be an additional charge for the majority of buyers. I have a friend who's a certified auto mechanic... he gets me to assemble bikes for him and he's been mountain biking longer than I have (mid-80s). I have another friend who's been riding since the late 90s, but for years thought his wheels were bullet proof and that he was a smooth rider, until he destroyed a wheel via branch thru spokes and during the walk-out learned every time his bike was at my place having an upgrade installed... I was re-trueing the wheels. Also all direct sales brands... you have to wait for the bike to arrive... and that's another thing a lot of consumers don't want to do. But walk into a trusted bike store and see a complete Giant fat bike on the showroom floor ready to go... that's what most buyers do.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was more thinking any brand other than Trek, Specialized, or Giant really, but there's a few other main tier brands that can't be bothered to do anything but follow the tail in front of them too.

I sell surprisingly few Surlys really, compared to other brands, if the implication was I'm some sort of fanboi exclusively to them, though I do like the brand, sure. I'm mostly just bored with brands to scared to take risk anymore.
    I agree that innovation is almost nonexistent with fat bikes. The pile of SalTrekAlized clones vary only slightly, so I see the point of Giant standing pat with this design. It's safe and predictable. I have a Pugsley and a Wozo, and on paper they look worlds apart, but riding on ungroomed snowy single track trails at 5-10 MPH, they really aren't that much different. Innovation for innovations sake seems like a money grab.

mtbr member
    Giant makes good stuff. I used to enjoy beating the $7,000 wonder bikes on my $700 Giant Yukon.

French Valve and American Valve respectively.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wtf rim.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	1236307

Unless you plan to fit a tire valve from a car wheel, every tubeless valve made is for presta (F/V) sized rim holes. But if you have rims drilled for schrader (A/V) valve tubes, a presta tubeless valve may not seal properly.

Additionally when running tubes at low pressures, you can run the risk where on abrupt torque loads (such as braking or accelerating) that the tire breaks free of its bead lock and slides along the rim. Chances are it will try and drag the tube along with it if this happens, and this can in particular with the smaller diameter presta valve, lead to the base of it tearing free from the tube and this cannot be repaired if it happens. Schrader valves being a larger diameter (8mm instead of 6mm) are stronger where they are joined to the tube and are less prone to tearing if the tire slips. Now if you're running tubeless... this isn't going to happen of course, but most fat bikes come equipped with tubes as they sit on the dealer showroom floor, and tubeless isn't without its own issues. THUS... by using two holes... Giant is better able to offer focused solutions for its buyers depending on their own particular requirements.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    If you're riding one of the unboring fancy brands, then there's reasonable odds you're riding a bike built in one of Giant's factories, and are paying the extra for the unboring fancy sticker.
    Good call, probably true. When I get a minute I will have my butler head down to the LBS to ride a few Giants, and compare them with my current bikes, then he can tell me which bike(s) I like better. I will relay that to the internet.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

I agree that innovation is almost nonexistent with fat bikes. The pile of SalTrekAlized clones vary only slightly, so I see the point of Giant standing pat with this design. It's safe and predictable. I have a Pugsley and a Wozo, and on paper they look worlds apart, but riding on ungroomed snowy single track trails at 5-10 MPH, they really aren't that much different. Innovation for innovations sake seems like a money grab.
    I think the money grab here, is Giant making one (finally) at all, at this point.

Were they top have joined the fray and dropped out when they realized not everyone needs to be in all fields, I'd have more respect for THAT decision.

This though? Please.

No different than Specialized for years, saying 29 was a fad, 26 was legit, then finally releasing 29 with the marketing BS that they'd been working on them for years, dialing them in just right.

Okay, sure. And how much is that swamp land selling for?

I know I'm crabby about the industry, and likely just an old man yelling at clouds, but not every brand, needs to make every bike.

Example. Felt Spent many, many years, exclusively building crazy weird, fairing'd out TT bikes. Then all of a sudden they made everything. I don't respect that, it's a money grab.

Had they stayed in their corner, and quietly churned out super slippery, fast, edgy looking bikes for folks that like to shave their legs, paint numbers on 'em, and ride fast in circles? That, I can respect.

Do what you do well. Trying to be everything to everyone, just makes you look desperate, and that's not attractive.

Not that what I think matters, I'm still fixing Leftys, and Cannondale has killed them, so there ya go....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Example. Felt Spent many, many years, exclusively building crazy weird, fairing'd out TT bikes. Then all of a sudden they made everything. I don't respect that, it's a money grab.

So....You hate making money?

Nope, I'm just apparently one of a rather small class of individuals or businesses, who is able to be truly happy with "enough", and don't feel the need to insult anyones intelligence or look like a desperate fool in pursuit of ever larger profits.

Do what you do, do it well, treat people with dignity and respect, and accept that perpetual growth is statistically impossible, and suddenly, life is a lot better....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I went to work today.....total money grab on my part.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    I went to work today.....total money grab on my part.
    That's really going to make the cynical and depressed on this forum mad!
    I'm grabbing lots of money this week working long hours. I hope that really pisses them off!

Seriously, 3 cheers for a new fat bike option. Looks to me like they checked all the boxes for a great bike--adjustable stays, lots of tire size options, and great pricing to name a few. No need for all the negativity on this thread. Don't like it, don't buy it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Unless you plan to fit a tire valve from a car wheel, every tubeless valve made is for presta (F/V) sized rim holes...
    They are available as a Stan's product, and from many other sources. I would actually prefer them for more difficult tubeless set ups without the core in place, or letting larger volumes of air out if I am going between pavement and snow riding. https://www.amazon.com/40-Tubeless-S.../dp/B07GV3NNQ9

mtbr member
    Offering a broad product range is more than a money grab, it is good business even though Giant is late to the party. Think about what it does: It gives their dealers an opportunity to stick with the brand in any category, it gives engineering staff revenue expanding work and covers that overhead, purchasing power goes up, revenue sources are diversified for regional and weather trends (it doesn't matter what is big if you play in every space). Better late than never. As a consumer I am happy to see new choices when other companies are scaling back. I think there will be more growth in fat bikes, just not at the meteoric growth rates of a few years ago. Anytime someone asks me what riding fat is like, I let them take my bike for a spin.

I have yet to have anyone get off the bike and say they wouldn't consider it. It happens a lot, so many casual riding people just have never tried one. They aren't on these forums, they just go ride sometimes. I just let a guy try it on the snow last weekend and he seemed very serious about buying one. He was on a Giant hard tail with 2.6-ish (guessing)

Rocking on a Rocky
    I like them, Giant held off get to be sure fat wasn't just a fad. I get two valves in my carbon rims.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

turtles make me hot
    I like the fact that it has fatter 27.5 rims. I'm all for more fatness.
    I like turtles

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlh View Post
    They are available as a Stan's product, and from many other sources. I would actually prefer them for more difficult tubeless set ups without the core in place, or letting larger volumes of air out if I am going between pavement and snow...
    Very true.

I only run Schrader tubeless valves. Iíll drill the rim and fit the Stanís valves every time. Every vehicle (bikes included) and inflation tool I own/carry is set up for Schrader, on purpose.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Unless you plan to fit a tire valve from a car wheel, every tubeless valve made is for presta (F/V) sized rim holes. But if you have rims drilled for schrader (A/V) valve tubes, a presta tubeless valve may not seal properly.
    Nope.

There are several schrader tubeless valves available. Stans makes some, this company makes some: https://949racing.com/blackanodizedaluminumvalve.aspx

Evil also makes the "large" sized presta valves, an option for most flow if you are stuck with presta drilling, but otherwise, Schrader is better for tubeless IMO because it'll flow more air and be less likely to get gunked up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    In my world a "money grab" is when you find a way to charge more for the same thing you always sold (iPhones as a recent example), or you hold a special position in the market and jack up the prices because consumers don't have a choice. It seems like a misapplied term used so we all have something to complain about.

Honestly fat bikes really should be at this price range. As a whole with a few "race" exceptions, they are simple hard tail bikes used in reasonably low stress situations. They shouldn't cost as much as an appendectomy.

Lets hope the real innovation is we avoid hubs that explode on some users after only hundreds of miles (Fatboy), rims that can't be made tubeless (anything Weinmann, DT Swiss), Sumox crankset? Supposedly superior mechanical brakes? 170mm rear? 135 mm anywhere? 2X or worse 3X?

The build looks solid for the cash to me, and knowledge of many things that we now know about fat bikes may make this much less junk than the same stuff sold just 4 or 5 years ago as a fat bike in the same price range.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Nope, I'm just apparently one of a rather small class of individuals or businesses, who is able to be truly happy with "enough", and don't feel the need to insult anyones intelligence or look like a desperate fool in pursuit of ever larger profits.

Do what you do, do it well, treat people with dignity and respect, and accept that perpetual growth is statistically impossible, and suddenly, life is a lot better....
    It's easy to hate the big dogs. Maybe how they got to be the big dogs doesn't seem fair or equitable to you, but this is how things turned out.

^Agreed, and as much as it's your right to buy their crap, it's my right to call them on it, all good.^

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ^Agreed, and as much as it's your right to buy their crap, it's my right to call them on it, all good.^
    If you really feel like you are "calling" them on something, you really need to call on every business that every sought to make a profit....because that's what they do.

Do you have a job where you bring home a paycheck? I want to "call" you on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm not in the market, but if Giant made a wizz bang carbon full suspension bike with 26.7 inch fat tires and an "all new" head and seat tube angle with an "optimized" BB height, with a 89mm fork offset would you say it was all innovative, and not a money grab?

Just asking. In the end I'm sure your attitude is right. Giant's "new" fat bike isn't really new at all. It is just another fat bike in a field of many. In my opinion the last slew of supposed innovations were not really a benefit to anyone except for the rider that wants a year round fat bike as their only bike ... all three of them.

If my local trail head was any indication this last weekend, fat bikes have reached critical mass anyway. The cars were parked down both sides of the state highway because the lot was overfull, and I likely saw 100 riders, and not one was on anything but a fat bike. Granted you could barely make a fat bike move forward, but I was still surprised at the showing.

turtles make me hot
    Ok... I saw the maroon bike in person. For 1200 dollars it is incredibly well set up and LIGHT. I just finished a fat bike build for a friend and his grand total came to 1440.
    Would have been better off with the Giant.
    The wheels on the Giant are nice. Hopefully the rim and tire manufacturers follow suit.

The mechanic at the shop who rides a Specialized Fat Boy with a Bluto said the Giant is his next bike.
    I'll say it again. Nice bike.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Ok... I saw the maroon bike in person. For 1200 dollars it is incredibly well set up and LIGHT. I just finished a fat bike build for a friend and his grand total came to 1440.
    the purple one is $2100 USD, not $1200

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-yukon
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    the purple one is $2100 USD, not $1200

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-yukon
    You are correct. I just called the shop and asked them what the tag said. It indeed is 2100. Still a great bike for the money.

I must have been a little dyslexic last Thursday.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The wheels on the Giant are nice. Hopefully the rim and tire manufacturers follow suit.
    Nice in what way? Follow suit how?

The Specialized Fatboy rims (H.E.D. BAD knockoffs) are tubeless ready and don't have tape, don't require any taping or any other ghetto tubeless method you may have read about.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Nice in what way? Follow suit how?

The Specialized Fatboy rims (H.E.D. BAD knockoffs) are tubeless ready and don't have tape, don't require any taping or any other ghetto tubeless method you may have read about.
    I like the fact that they're 27.5 and 86mm wide. I want more wide 27.5 stuff.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Meh. Nothing earth shattering about 27.5 fat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

turtles make me hot
    Long story short, I want 27.5 Surly My Other Brother Darryls.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Long story short, I want 27.5 Surly My Other Brother Darryls.
    Ok whats makes them better over mulefuts?

turtles make me hot
    Ok whats makes them better over mulefuts?

Little lighter, little better looking and they say Surly on em. I just like em, ok?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Little lighter, little better looking and they say Surly on em. I just like em, ok?
    Just a question but now wondering why so defensive...