Cars Are Evil

Wrathchild width and durability?

Has anyone gotten their hands on a 26x4.6 Wrathchild and measured the actual width on 80mm rims? How thick is the casing for durability?

I'm debating between a pair of these and a pair of 26x4.8 Minion FBF with GripStuds. I currently have a Minion FBF on the front and the EXO casing is nice and thick. It setup easily tubeless on an 80mm MuleFut.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    wrathchild is 4.45" at it's widest on a 80mm rim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The footprint in the snow was 4.6 inches (on the nose) on 80mm wide rims for me. But it was a loaded tire. tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Mine measure 111mm on 90mm Nexties. That was brand new with a tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just set up a pair of wrathchilds. Both measured at 114.1 mm (4.49 inches). Tires are mounted on Nextie 80mm rims, and are brand new, tubeless, and have been sitting at 20psi overnight. They have increased in width a small amount, maybe 7 or 8mm, since they were first measured.

Measurements were made at widest part of the tread blocks, with digital calipers.

The install was very easy using an air compressor. I did not attempt to use a hand pump. Both beads set quickly, without soapy water or using a tube, with several loud and satisfying pops somewhere around 12 PSI.

Neither tire has leaked any sealant around the bead or elsewhere, even at the relatively high 20 PSI. Pressure has held pretty steady since they were installed, with a loss of maybe 1.5 PSI at room temperature when I checked them first thing this morning. Air was added to 20PSI before measuring width. Pressures were measured using a 30 PSI Max Accu-Gage.

The tires are brand new, so I have no comment on durability.

mtbr member
    I have about 40 miles on my Studded Wratchilds on 100mm clown shoe rims. They have been great on our single track which has been shoeshoed in order to ride. Temps have been below zero every day and the snow has been soft and it has made life easier. Compared to other tires I have seen on the trails these shed snow much faster. No ice yet, but the xl studs look ready to fly on ice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaSalsa View Post
    I have about 40 miles on my Studded Wratchilds on 100mm clown shoe rims. They have been great on our single track which has been shoeshoed in order to ride. Temps have been below zero every day and the snow has been soft and it has made life easier. Compared to other tires I have seen on the trails these shed snow much faster. No ice yet, but the xl studs look ready to fly on ice.
    You will be happy using them on ice,the XL studs grip excellent even at a higher PSI.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Agreed that they are excellent at shedding snow. I just had a run in about a foot or more of virgin powder. It was about the limit of fun vs impassable. Certinally fun, but hard work. I am still pretty new, and learned a lot obout balance and traction management.

mtbr member

In-my-not-so-professional-opinion after 7 rides

I have a studded wrathchild (26 x 4.6) mounted tubeless on a Rolling Darryl 80mm rim and is the rear tire. Current width is 4.3255 inches (109.8677 mm) @ 6.5 psi. The tire is on a 170mm 9:Zero:7 running 1x11. 26T oval chain ring on 170mm cranks with a 10-42T rear cassette. Yes, the chain rubs the tire on the 42T cog but is acceptable for ascending, but not descending. Riding weight is 165lbs.

The tire has been ridden for 99.6 miles and 15360 feet of elevation. The terrain has varied from the initial 17 mile road ride to seat the studs to powder trails, frozen lake, snow packed trails, dirt trails, paved and dirt roads. I prefer to ride the bike to and from the trails instead of loading in the truck.

After seven rides the tire has lost 7 studs, numerous studs show excessive wear, and 4 studs no longer have the concave XL carbide stud attached. Also a few studs that were coming loose from the knobbies but have since been re-seated.

The good with regards to the studs: The XL studs grip ice like gum to your shoe. I had no issues crossing the glass-like frozen surface of Evergreen Lake and Beaver Brook Reservoir. Also, there were no pucker moments when encountering ice on the trails.

The bad with regards to the studs: Well four of the studs have lost there concave carbide tip. I can not speak to the condition of the additional seven studs that were missing. The concave studs do fill with dirt but does not appear to cause loss of grip. The studs have a tendency to seat deep into the knob and the concave tip will remain below the knob. Lastly, the XL concave studs are showing signs of wear that I would not expect from a tire with 100 miles of use. But since this is a rear mounted tire that is not dedicated to snow-only use then this type of wear should be expected; I guess.

As for the Tire:

The Good: Gobs of traction on level to low grade inclines of fresh powder with five inches being the deepest encountered so far and tire pressure between 2-3psi. The tire tracks well at speed on powder, snow packed, and dirt trails. The knobbies are soft and roll nicely and predictable over rocks and tree roots with tire pressure between 5 and 7 psi. The tire sheds snow rather well.

The Bad: As with the Dunderbeist the Wrathchild has issues climbing steeper grades of fresh powder. At 2 psi the tire will spinout on steeper inclines. At 1.5 psi the tire will grip better but I have had rim strikes from hitting snow-covered rocks and tree roots. I did encounter some tire slippage going over rocks when the tire pressure was above 7 psi. I assume the studs are more pronounced at higher psi and causing the tire to slip.

Overall I am "OK" with purchasing the Wrathchild and with the tire's performance. I am concerned about losing 7 studs, damaging 4 others. and signs of excessive wear on numerous other studs. But as I stated earlier I ride to the trails and these are the consequences of that action. If I were to drive to the trails then the number of damaged, worn, and missing studs would most likely be reduced.

In closing I leave you with a few pics. Happy New Year!!!!

Wrathchild width and durability?-wrath1.jpg

Wrathchild width and durability?-wrath2.jpg

Wrathchild width and durability?-wrath3.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by calzonical View Post

The tire has been ridden for 99.6 miles and 15360 feet of elevation. The terrain has varied from the initial 17 mile road ride to seat the studs to powder trails, frozen lake, snow packed trails, dirt trails, paved and dirt roads. I prefer to ride the bike to and from the trails instead of loading in the truck.
    Thanks for the feedback. What is the surface of your ride to the trail, and what is the approx distance?

I ask because based on what i have learned, i have accepted that i will avoid riding in warm conditions, and on pavement/concrete/excessive rock to protect the studs. The idea being that warm rubber is softer, and more likely to lose studs, and carbide tips or not, they are not diamonds, and the studs have an aluminum base, so there is risk or breakoff on hard surfaces.

Agreed that with too much powder they struggle for grip. But on my ride with a foot or so of powder... we were all struggling. Haha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliding_serpent View Post
    What is the surface of your ride to the trail, and what is the approx distance?
    Asphalt road about a mile to one trail and 5 miles to another trail. Snow melts pretty fast in southern exposed areas which leaves exposed dirt on most of the trails around Evergreen. However, when you get into the trees there is ice, snirt, and snow which makes having studded tires essential to staying upright.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I have put a ~100 miles on my Wrathchilds this season. I installed the standard 45NRTH stud in mine. I ride a lot of rock/rooty trails. Sunday i ended up riding for 45 min inside an old concrete mine during a snow ride, so i think most of the wear is from the ground of the mine.

I have not lost any studs, but the studs have shifted inside their holes a little bit and there are a lot of claw marks near the stud.

Rear tire: most of it looks this way

front tire was not immune, a few hits here and there

Overall i am very happy with them. #wouldbangagain

Ambassador of Chub
    I've got about a 150 miles on my Wrathchilds so far this season, and I think they're one of the best "somewhere between 3.8 and 4.8" tires available right now in terms of traction, snow shedding and ease of studding. All depends on what your needs are, of course, but when conditions don't quite call for Bud/Lou, the Wrathchilds tick pretty much all the boxes for me.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I put the studded Wrathchilds on Dec 1st,got about 400KM on them(I am retired and cycle often). Still haven't lost a stud yet with all types of terrain. One of the best winter tires I have owned,but everyone has different driving styles and needs. To me studs are a wearable item,as long as the tire holds up I am happy.I do have spare studs/tool when needed. So far I am pleased with these tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I have put a ~100 miles on my Wrathchilds this season. I installed the standard 45NRTH stud in mine. I ride a lot of rock/rooty trails. Sunday i ended up riding for 45 min inside an old concrete mine during a snow ride, so i think most of the wear is from the ground of the mine.

I have not lost any studs, but the studs have shifted inside their holes a little bit and there are a lot of claw marks near the stud.

Rear tire: most of it looks this way

front tire was not immune, a few hits here and there

Overall i am very happy with them. #wouldbangagain
    Don't know if it is me or the picture but it looks like those studs are not fully seated?

mtbr member
    ^^ The studs look like they are at a similar depth as mine. I was sure to press them in to full depth too.

So far my WC's have been holding up great. They do surprisingly well in soft conditions. I have only seen very little ice but they were gripping just fine w the regular sized concave studs. I only have some of them installed so far.

It appears above that there is less wear and tear on the smaller studs. I have to wonder if the XL's are worth it. Maybe selective placement of XL's?

Oh, the width of my WC's at 5psi is 108mm/4.25" on a 65mm rim measured w calipers.

Likewise when, run at low pressure the footprint in the snow is impressively wide, though i have yet to measure that.
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    ^^Good info-just checked my WC's,also holding up great at approx. 500KM.(still no studs lost). It's been very cold up here,maybe that's why no studs missing?
    The warmest I ran these tires was my first day out with them at 20-25 degrees F. at 11PSI to seat the studs on about 8 MI. of tar. Time will tell how they perform in warmer weather and if they start loosing studs. measures 4.45" on a tubed 90 MM rim 6PSI

mtbr member
    Only got a few rides in so far, just a rear tire, been running the Dillinger 5's for a couple years now, still using one in the front. For deeper snow I feel like I get better traction with the Wrathchild. A few rides in some pretty rocky stuff but enough to feel good about the sidewalls. Did lose at least one stud, I did not spend any time bedding them in first like I did my Dillinger 5's which may have made a difference.

Mostly Ice riding in this vid from yesterday
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 01-15-2018 at 03:22 PM.

mtbr member
    A little rock riding in the second half of this one from two days ago

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy69 View Post
    Don't know if it is me or the picture but it looks like those studs are not fully seated?
    nope, it's you... :P In those pics, i had a fresh ride in a old concrete mine, and the concrete dust go mushed into the studs and holes...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    ^^Excellent explanation,thought my eyesight was failing! Sounds like a cool ride around an old concrete mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I have 110 miles on my Wrathchilds. Originally set up aired at ~20psi to stretch out a couple days, usually ridden 4-7 psi. When sitting in the garage they've been anywhere from 1-8psi. Measured at 4.44" on 80mm mulefuts after having them for a little less than 1 month.

I studded them myself. Center 2 rows (kind of 4 rows since there are slight variations in knobs and width down the center) are flat studs from bikestud that I repurposed from some FBF's I'd self studded and then the rest of the rows are XL studs. I didn't get them until snow flew so I didn't really get to seat them. I ride ~2 miles round trip on sometimes exposed pavement each ride that was the extent of seating studs. We hadn't had much snow here in MN until the last week so the first 70+ miles were done on pretty minimal packed snow over hard dirt. Some frozen dirt ruts and icy ridges poking through the snow at times. I did not see any missing studs. I also did not notice any damage to the carbide tips on the XL studs like someone else reported. Most of my rides have been between -2 and maybe 15F. First 18 mile ride was probably a balmy 18-20F. So maybe cold temps are helping keep studs intact. All loaded up I'm probably 160'ish.

Overall I've been pretty happy with them. I've had good luck with stud retention. I haven't had to ride on ice. Maybe my good luck with studs has been due to cold temp keeping the tires hard as well as having flat studs down the center that don't grab as much. My trail is pretty flowy. Some roots, not much for rocks, a couple spots of armoring with flagstone. I'll ride some wooden features, logs each ride.

mtbr member
    I returned the wrathchild to REI in Lakewood, CO for a full refund.

They repriced the tire for 125.98. So if you are in the market for a wrathchild missing eleven studs, then that REI is your Huckleberry.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I have about 300 miles on the pair. There are some tearing at the knobs, but most likely it was from the terrain I was riding, and bombing sections with little to no snow.

Just mounted my Wrathchilds for this coming season. This go around, I mounted the front on a Blizzerk 90 and the rear on a Mulefut 80.

Last season I had some washouts when leaning the bike. This was to be expected, as stud grip is great and when you lean over there is no stud anymore.... to combat this, i put grip studs on the edge knobs. Should be a killer setup this year.

going to the 90mm rim gained 1/10th of an inch... It is not the size that counts, it is how you use it. right, ladies?

Wednesday is ready for battle

Max wondering wtf I am doing with tires in the living room...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How's the WC clearance in the rear on the Wednesday on that 80mm? Is that slammed forward in your photo?
    I've got a Dunder slammed in there now and it's getting tight.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmonkey View Post
    How's the WC clearance in the rear on the Wednesday on that 80mm? Is that slammed forward in your photo?
    i am on my 3rd season od dilly 5, then WC on an 80 slammed forward on the wed. works perfectly, although it is tight to the seat post and stays in a few spots. works for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Awesome. Just what I wanted to hear.

Yea my D5s have been pretty good all things considered. I've got three seasons on mine as well...still look pretty mint but a lot of the studs are sitting really low. I think I'm gonna rehab and shim the pockets with some rubber gasket material (suggested somewhere on here) I'm looking forward to some better bite all round esp. up front. Gonna keep the D5s in reserve for now, I think I can re-tune them to keep rolling hardback quick and add some XL/beefier studs at the side lugs.