mtbr member

Wrathchild vs Dillinger5, with pictures

For those that are curious as to the difference between the tried and true Dillinger5 (D5) and the new Wrathchild. This is my 3rd season on the D5's and while they are good, I never felt they had enough bite in deep snow. I bought my wife a fatbike last year that took the same wheels and she confiscated the D5's, which meant I could get (justify) something else. I decided on the Wrathchilds since the Snowshoe XL is known to be slow and heavy, and the XXL wouldn't fit my frame.

Anyway, I decided to compare the two, and here are the results. Both are mounted on the same tubeless Turnagain 100mm wheels, have the same amount of Stans in them, and the same Hope brake rotors.

The D5 is 4.480" wide (113.8mm):

Wrathchild vs Dillinger5, with pictures-960e06f3-23f8-462c-be04-d6e3986fb30e-xl.jpg

The Wrathchild is 4.509" wide (114.5mm), for a difference of +0.029" (0.74mm). Not a lot.

Wrathchild vs Dillinger5, with pictures-8414c4d1-c21f-4685-8453-1ecd2f76c360-l.jpg

The D5 tread depth is 0.190" (4.8mm):

Wrathchild vs Dillinger5, with pictures-505a454b-2fc5-4afe-a155-95bd47deebd0-xl.jpg

The Wrathchild tread is 0.214" (5.4mm), for a difference of 0.024" (0.61mm). Again, not a lot. My Bud tread depth is 0.230" (5.8mm), which still looks huge.

The D5 as set to ride is 7 pounds, 10 ounces with the 258 regular 45NRTH concave studs.

Wrathchild vs Dillinger5, with pictures-dca9e39f-89ca-471b-971a-0d33fd6d41f2-x3.jpg

The Wrathchild is 7 pounds, 11 ounces with the 224 XL 45NRTH concave studs.

Wrathchild vs Dillinger5, with pictures-85d1f3a4-ac2b-4a4a-a2e4-d68a28170fca-x3.jpg

Based on these real-world figures, the two tires would appear the same, but that is not the case. The Wrathchild has much more grip than the D5's, no question. It feels like it rolls about the same, which is outstanding, but time will tell through different conditions. What I can say is that it is much better in deeper snow, which is what I wanted. Thus far I'm very happy with them.

While the tires look different sizes they are actually about the same. The size difference is due to parallax error.

Wrathchild vs Dillinger5, with pictures-97a4edf3-e93c-4901-9d79-c61b14f76750-x3.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Awesome comparison. Thanks. Ive wondered this for awhile.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    One other comparasion - At my local bike shop here in Canada, the D5ís are selling for $300 canadian, while the wrathchilds are $350.

Just today I picked up a pair of d5ís for a total of $440.....I am sick at over how much I just paid for a set of mtn bike tires
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    .I am sick at over how much I just paid for a set of mtn bike tires
    a few years ago, i paid full pop for dillinger 5's, $500 for a pair of tires... :O

i sold them after i got the wrathchilds, as they suited my style better. imho, the dilly 5 rolled better than the wrathchild, but i am sure the difference was negligible.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post

Just today I picked up a pair of d5ís for a total of $440.....I am sick at over how much I just paid for a set of mtn bike tires
    When I bought them, they were $500 US. I can't say that a set of $500 cranks works any better than $80 cranks, they work the same, one is lighter. I can say that the $500 D5 tires allowed me to get out and experience all kinds of terrain in the winter-time and they ended up being worth every penny. Not cheap, not much economy of scale going on here, but one of the times when paying that much is justifiable beyond mere indulgence.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    When I bought them, they were $500 US. I can't say that a set of $500 cranks works any better than $80 cranks, they work the same, one is lighter. I can say that the $500 D5 tires allowed me to get out and experience all kinds of terrain in the winter-time and they ended up being worth every penny. Not cheap, not much economy of scale going on here, but one of the times when paying that much is justifiable beyond mere indulgence.
    Totally agree! If where you live experiences a lot of freeze/thaw cycles, studs are a difference maker and the deciding factor of whether you can be out riding or sitting home wishing you were riding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Totally agree! If where you live experiences a lot of freeze/thaw cycles, studs are a difference maker and the deciding factor of whether you can be out riding or sitting home wishing you were riding.
    And the bigger casing for more comfort/cush in low-snow/ice conditions and for traction when it's soft snow conditions, and for cornering traction when it's a little harder, etc. They were the "latest and greatest" when I got them and they didn't disappoint. People were so used to D4s I think they thought that's where the world ended. I rode (and raced!) the heck out of my D5s and they were worth it every single time. Never once did I ride or race and think that I wanted something lesser. When I did eventually purchase and ride D4s, I wanted more tire than they provided, even though I got them specifically for hard conditions or hard-conditions races.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Studded Wrathchilds are 175 at REI right now....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Studded Wrathchilds are 175 at REI right now....
    There is another...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    ...than XL studs and 120TPI?

mtbr member
    Damn, thatís what I paid but Iíd to go through a bunch of effort to get that price.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    ...than XL studs and 120TPI?
    I'm using all 640 studs on my tires right now.

The shops around here have cut the price some on the 45N tires though, so it's nice that they aren't quite as crazy expensive as the last few seasons. Competition is good.

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Swapped dillingers for wrathchilds myself last year. Better in loose snow and better on ice.
    MUCH easier tubeless too
    Expensive but should last years and years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I never liked D5's in loose snow. Really unpredictable for what I use them for.