Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012

Wow. Just Wow. (Slushageddon, chain, wax & no rust content)

We've briefly discussed it before, but this winter, the amount of salt slush on the roads qualify for a spot in the Guiness Book of records, so what a time to put the hot waxed (therefore dry and clean) KMC EPT series chains to the ultimate salty-slush-athon test:

Salt + snow = salty slush.
    Salty slush + bike chains= rust.
    Or maybe not.
    In this city, (Oslo, Norway), good old fashioned snow removal by plowing has gone the way of the dinosaurs and road crews dump untold amounts of chemical laden salt mixes on up to 25cm/10'' of fresh snow and make a ''Slushageddon'' instead. A regular chain will rust in a lickety split unless you use some goopy, thick oil that will turn everything pitch black with grime. If you opt for a thinner oil, you will often have to apply it every day and the chain will still rust. Enter the KMC EPT chains. The coating keeps them rust free. I use hotwax instead of oil, so instead of a nasty, black chain, my chain and drivetrain is clean as a whistle. Rust free and clean. That is a winning combo:

Last edited by Espen W; 01-24-2018 at 11:02 AM.

mtbr member
    I've used chain wax on motorcycle chains and always liked the clean result. Silly question maybe, but does the wax create a slower moving/more frictive chain?
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    I've used chain wax on motorcycle chains and always liked the clean result. Silly question maybe, but does the wax create a slower moving/more frictive chain?
    Actually the opposite!
    It is the lowest friction chain lubrication out there:
    https://www.scribd.com/document/2620...ficiency-Tests

Elitest thrill junkie
    Here in Anchorage the city tends to not drop much salt, mostly dirt and rocks. They do use chemicals on the highway, but doesn't seem to be salt-based, so we don't get much of the slush you are referring to, except in businesses and residential areas, where sometimes they go nuts with the salt. When I ride to work I make sure to wash off my boots when I get inside and after every ride. I carry my bike across the parking lot when I suspect salt use. Seems to be working pretty good. I did rust out a cleat in a Lake 302 a couple years back, that's what got me more aggressive in avoiding the salt. I'd rather people just buy the goddamn studded winter tires they should have in the first place. There are people out there driving in the winter that are a hazard to everyone on the road because they refuse to get tires for the conditions.

In the winter, I've found that wax-based lubes work pretty well. The drivetrain in general seems to love the snow and the cold.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Thanks Espen, I'll check out those EPT chains and great article. Amazing results from paraffin. I'll have to give it a try.

I have been amazed at the results I get w Fluid Film for chain lube, especially in the winter. It is not a wax but a thick oil when dried on. It's mostly Lanolin from sheep wool. Non-toxic too. Performs excellent in salty environment too.

https://www.fluid-film.com

I apply to a clean chain and it forms a waxy oily coating that repels snow and water. It lasts for at least a few rides often more. I just add some more on top later and wipe off excess, let dry.

I also carry my bike over salted parking lots too if possible. I haven't tested in the salt because I just don't go there. But it works great at protecting bare metal on my van from salt and water until I get to a touch up.
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Started using paraffin 30+ years ago, but discontinued due to the procedure. Have not discovered anything that comes close to the results for cleanliness and quiet operation over the long haul in dry conditions. Always thought it would be the best for salty and/or sandy conditions.

Thanks for the link that supports that thinking.
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Co Springs
    Nice info and sounds like a very applicable procedure.

''Slushageddon''

lol - Love that descriptive term !!
    Last edited by bachman1961; 01-24-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SADDLE TRAMP View Post
    Started using paraffin 30+ years ago, but discontinued due to the procedure. Have not discovered anything that comes close to the results for cleanliness and quiet operation over the long haul in dry conditions. Always thought it would be the best for salty and/or sandy conditions.

Thanks for the link that supports that thinking.
    The trick is to do multiple chains at once.
    I must have like 30 chains in total, X9s, X10s, X11s and so on, for the various fatbikes, MTBs road, commuter, etc. I clean the chains in kerosene and then do a wax job on them all at once, maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

The reusable KMC Missing Links enable chain swaps in a few seconds.
    Last edited by Espen W; 01-24-2018 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    ^^ great idea
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Road salt is why I commute with a belt drive. Nice to see there is at least one other workable option for the slush of doom.

mtbr member
    I'll look into it when I run through the current bottle of Pedro's. Cool info!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I don't use wax but have a KMC EPT chain. The price is a bit high and for now have no idea of the durability but it definitely works against rust.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I've just found this video that explains how to create a wax based lube diy. It seems very simple, I am going to try it out soon:

Going through a very muddy winter..
    Last edited by Goldberg123; 02-07-2018 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eFat View Post
    I don't use wax but have a KMC EPT chain. The price is a bit high and for now have no idea of the durability but it definitely works against rust.
    Me too, put one on after Christmas with a new cassette. Both needed cleaning after a couple weeks of commute duty in the city...salt, sand, dirt, grime, etc. The chain had a waxed look with all the dry white salt caked on it. It's a good chain and the one I use on the SS and fatty. Anyway, still needs cleaning...
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I've been waxing since the 70's. I prefer to do a hot wax boil but when I am busy the bottle stuff works.

I used to buy White Lightning chain wax by the gallon. Then I discovered Squirt Lube. It is wax based. While White Lightning came out of the bottle runny. Squirt comes out looking exactly like Elmers glue. This stuff is great on any bike but especially on Fattys that travel on beach sand or snow.

Anybody got a formula to make DIY Squirt chain wax?

mtbr member
    White gas, and varying amounts of parafin wax. The more wax, the more likely your wax lube will solidify (temp dependent). I just keep a jar of it around, when too thin, I add a chunk of wax, when it solidifies, I add some fuel. I apply with an acid/flux brush. Works wonders and a great refresher for chains between hot waxes.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    My buddy uses an old electric cooker with wax warmed up to drop a buncha chains in and do many in short order.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Do they sell super skinny candles anywhere? i.e D-I-Y tubes of paraffin wax sized to fit in a hot glue gun...LOL

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Actually the opposite!
    It is the lowest friction chain lubrication out there:
    https://www.scribd.com/document/2620...ficiency-Tests
    Oh yeah! 3 in 1 General Purpose lube baby.