Winter tires?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Winter tires?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Winter tires?

I have a Pugsley, which when I bought second-hand, had a set of Nates installed on the Large Marge rims.

I rode those tires for about 6,000 miles, mostly commuting and relatively flat trails. For the asphalt, I had the Nates at about 12-13 psi, which explains why they're basically shot. I'm running a set of Knards now, same rims. really better on both trails and roadways. FWIW, the Nates were excellent in the snow.

I need to get a set of tires for the winter/snow, though. I'm thinking maybe a set of those gumwall 3.8" Nates. Alternatively, I'm also thinking about a set of Other Brother Darryl rims and going tubeless. The OBDs are 80mm wide, and the Marge Lites are 65mm wide. While I've seen tubeless setups on lots of different tire/rim combinations, I think maybe a "tubeless-ready" rim like the OBD is a simpler way to go.

I checked the Pugsley (2014) specs and it shows maximum tire size "3.8/4.0", which I think means that with the offset design you can go as wide as 4". So, I guess it would be the 80mm OBDs with 3.8" Nates installed, if I wanted to go tubeless. Does that sound reasonable?

I'll admit I dunno much about fatbike tires...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sounds perfect, nates on mobd tube less.

You will probably loose 5+ pounds of rotational mass also.

If the nates are not tubeless ready, you can use fattie strippers to set them up. Otherwise vanhelgas are another solid choice. Plus they roll faster.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    I keep trying other tires, and end up going back to nates. They work. They aren't going to help you set any hot lap times, but they always work predictably.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I also kind of like the Nates. They came on the second-hand Pugs I bought, along with 2 pairs of other tires. In the winter, the Nates are just great on any kind of snow/slush/etc. Running them at about 9-10 psi. Not so good on asphalt, though. My friendly LBS suggested running them at 12-13 psi for summer - much better, but the increased wear is really noticeable. The Knards at 12-13 psi on asphalt and gravel trails make the whole bike seem a lot faster. Just not enough knobbies for the winter months.

At this point, I guess maybe I'm also on the lookout for another set of wheels...the whole tubeless thing really needs rims with those little concave areas to really set the tire bead without having to fuss too much, I think. The guys at the LBS seem to agree.

mtbr member
    For winter tires, I go for studded. I may not always need the studs, but when I do, they keep me upright. Gnarwahl and Wazia are a couple aggressive tread 4", studded tires to look at.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    For me, I think studded tires would be a bit of overkill: the daily commute on asphalt doesn't sound like it would be all that great. Below 20 degrees (F), with the wind chill close to zero, I leave the bike home.

mtbr member
    VanHelgas are great tires. Easy tubeless set up too in my experience. I don't think there's a better all 'round 4"-tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by urbsuburb2017 View Post
    For me, I think studded tires would be a bit of overkill: the daily commute on asphalt doesn't sound like it would be all that great. Below 20 degrees (F), with the wind chill close to zero, I leave the bike home.
    You only need studs if it ever gets icy. Carbide studs resist wear pretty well. They are a bit loud on the road, but it's generally quieter than one's yell when they biff it.

turtles make me hot
    My Other Brother Darryls are excellent rims. Another choice would be Alex Blizzerks in 70mm. They have offset drilling so they'll work on a Pugs.
    I'm currently waiting on both Darryls and Blizzerks. Everyone is out of both of them.

I actually like the 70's better for the tire sizes you're talking about.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I put a set of Terrene Wazia studded 4.8's on my bike last winter. Setup is tubeless with the orange winter stuff.
    I was literally blown away by the low rolling resistance and lack of any understeer from these tires. Rolling resistance is on the order of the Jumbo Jim's.
    The Wazia fully studded tires are LOUD on pavement. At slow speeds it sounds like you are harassing a cat. The Cake eaters might be a bit quieter.

turtles make me hot
    I've built three customer bikes this year with Surly Ednas on 70mm Alex Blizzerks. None of them have seen snow yet but they seem promising. Tire does everything else well.
    I like turtles

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by PierreR View Post
    I put a set of Terrene Wazia studded 4.8's on my bike last winter. Setup is tubeless with the orange winter stuff.
    I was literally blown away by the low rolling resistance and lack of any understeer from these tires. Rolling resistance is on the order of the Jumbo Jim's.
    The Wazia fully studded tires are LOUD on pavement. At slow speeds it sounds like you are harassing a cat. The Cake eaters might be a bit quieter.
    Cake eaters have a shorter stud and they kind of suck on ice. Wazia is a good all arounder until you are driving hard in corners or on off camber trails. The lateral grip is just not there.
    ptarmigan hardcore

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by urbsuburb2017 View Post

I need to get a set of tires for the winter/snow,
    I had a couple old tires, a Nate and a Larry, hanging in my garage about three years ago. So I bought a five dollar hand rivet tool and a whole mess of cheap aluminum rivets at Harbor Freight and made a jig out of a six-inch mailer tube. I drilled through just about every other knob on both tires and put probably 150+ (didn't count) rivets into each one. Then I lined the riveted tires with 3X100mm stickyback EVA foam and reinstalled them, with tubes, on my Pugs.

After three years, the rivet heads are starting to show some wear, so I might replace some before this winter. But I've not had a flat yet, even when riding them at about 4psi, which I do quite often. Riding studded tires on ice and snow makes a huuuuuge difference.

If you're into it, I've written a bit about my Pugs on my blog: RockyChrysler.com: Just about a bike: Surly Pugsley [UPDATED]
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/