Winter riding- Mtbr.com

Thread: Winter riding

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Winter riding

Hello, I know this is a very subjective answer depending on conditions you ride.

Yes I've read the great review on the Dillinger 5 vs. BL. Which was excellent!

I'm hoping to save some cash as everyone knows the tires are crazy expensive and even more so in Canada.

I was going to keep my current nate running backwards on the back and put a studded dillinger 5 on the front. thought was it hopefully would allow for some added traction in icy conditions and not break the bank.

thoughts if this is just a waste of money and I should buy 2?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    DIY studded Nate's does the job very well, i have done that my first year at 200lbs and had very good results. Cheap and reliable, event tubeless. Now, running D5 studded. So DIY and save for 2, if needed ;o)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    new8812 did you drill holes in the Nates to stud them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hawks View Post
    I studded Nates with Grip Studs. I found a good sale on Grip Studs last year and put in about 75 per tire. Not near as many as most studded tires but it worked pretty well. I keep them as my ice tires now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!:cool:

rth009
    May 2010
    Hello, I know this is a very subjective answer depending on conditions you ride.

Yes I've read the great review on the Dillinger 5 vs. BL. Which was excellent!

I'm hoping to save some cash as everyone knows the tires are crazy expensive and even more so in Canada.

I was going to keep my current nate running backwards on the back and put a studded dillinger 5 on the front. thought was it hopefully would allow for some added traction in icy conditions and not break the bank.

thoughts if this is just a waste of money and I should buy 2?

It's not a waste of money to just have one studded tire in the front. Much better than nothing and may keep your face off the ice if you hit a sudden patch of glare ice

I have been I very happy with grip studs. Had about 200 in bud and Nate last year. Removed the ones from the Nate because I got a 5" fatty. I will install them in my Lou once it gets icy enough, but for now I'm running a grip studded bud up front and an unstudded Lou out back. Fortunately, we have glorious dry, boot packed snow thus far, but the forecast is for high pressure so In expect it to get icy in sunnier spots before long.

I haven't run Dillinger of any factory studded tire, but you can get a lot of them for the price of 1 Dillinger

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    wow the grip studs are crazy expensive. it would almost be as much to stud the tires as buy new ones as they are ov er a buck a piece canadian.

Any one know of a place to get them cheaper?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yes, In the center of the nobs (or use a ice pick). Don't put any studs or screws in the center row, they don't serve anything (or pretty much useless, not enought pressure in tire...) Concentrate on the side nobs. And yess, they were tubeless. If you want to run a tube, put a dab of silicone on each head and the tube will be protected from flats.

Gripstud are very expensive indeed...

One thing: If you want to race, you won't be able to enter the race with DIY or anything that are not like car's studs (In Qc, it changed this years: Anything from 3mm and below are accepted, so gripstuds are ok)

Spherik studs are less expensive but are 4mm: Thumbnail Grid with Expanding Preview

Ambassador of Chub
    wow the grip studs are crazy expensive. it would almost be as much to stud the tires as buy new ones as they are ov er a buck a piece canadian.

Any one know of a place to get them cheaper?
    Amazon.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.