Winter pants?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Winter pants?

Silver bullet

Winter pants?

I've been mountain biking for 15 years now but I'm new to this area of the sport. I just bought a Pugs to keep me busy during the winter and looking forward to snow here.

I'm hoping you experianced snow riders can recommend some pants to wear in the snow. I really don't want to wear tights, they feel too restrictive to me. I'll probably ride in temps down to around 10 degrees F, it doesn't get very much colder than that during the day here in upstate NY.

I think I have the upper body covered but any suggestions in that area would be appreciated too.

The better half is asking me what I want for Christmas this year so she's waiting for an answer too.

Thanks folks!!

Living the thug life.
    The craft storm pants. Three of us have them and all swear by them. They regulate your temp over a huge range. You can layer underneath as needed. I have worn the out the rear end after 3 seasons of use. Highly recommend.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    www.foxwear.net - get the PowerShield pants. Lou rocks!

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri
    The craft storm pants. Three of us have them and all swear by them. They regulate your temp over a huge range. You can layer underneath as needed. I have worn the out the rear end after 3 seasons of use. Highly recommend.

+1 I wear them with just riding shorts under from +30 to -25

mtbr member
    I like PI Amphibs; they're great from 35-0 F. When it's below 0, I'll use polypro tights, thickness dependent on how cold, under Goretex pants. My coldest ride has been -14 F and my legs were toasty.

No, that's not phonetic
    I have some of the Craft Storm "pants" (really a loose tight) too. Very nice. Wind front and thick stretchy back with a fleeced interior. Knees flex easily. They are made for XC skiing, but they do great on the bike. I run in them in cold weather too.

The PI Amphibs are closer to a true tight imo.

mtbr member
    Craft Storm Pants - Is this what you're talking about?

I generally don't wear cycling tights because I can't stand the baby in a nappy (diaper) feel of the pad, but I hadn't thought of ski pants.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

is buachail foighneach me
    That's them. Mine aren't nearly as baggy as that, but they do fit looser than a tight and are very non-restrictive.

mtbr member
    Thanks. They are a good idea. Up to now I have been using RAB VapourRise which are a Pertex with a thin fleece lining - very good but they sometimes catch on the saddle nose.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

PUG U!!!
    Thanks for posting this info about the Craft Storm Pants!!!
    My "Ice Bike" tights are almost done after many good years of service. I've been searching for something to replace them, now that search is over!!
    Thanks again!!

Peace

Silver bullet

Are these what you mean?

I did a quick Google for Craft Storm and this is what came up. Is this what you guys were refering to?

Thanks!!
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/51383?from=SR&feat=sr

How much does it weigh?
    Does anyone know of some wind proof/resistant leggings or pants that aren't $100?

Also, what about shoes? I was thinking maybe just get some wind proof booties to cover my Shimano MP90 shoes.. but being regular shoes.. wouldn't the booties get murdered? Maybe a windproof sock?

No, that's not phonetic
    The Gore Tex Shimano winter shoes (MW02 or MW80) totally rule for everything down to about 10F if you get them 1-2 sizes bigger than normal (Euro sizing) and put a nice thick felt insole in them and some thick wool socks. I hate Lake's winter shoes, personally.

@djb55, yes, we are all talking about those.

How much does it weigh?
    I think I'll look for some Gore Tex booties.

I'd be totally happy with just the Gore Text legging or pants, and booties.. it's not really the cold that gets me, it's when it's cold and windy.

No, that's not phonetic
    Do you mean gore tex socks? Rocky Mountain gore tex socks are pretty nice. I rode in those for years. I liked them better than any of the Seal Skinz socks I owned.

But real, quality, gore tex bike shoes blow them both away for warm, dry, consistently non-clammy comfort, especially the Shimano models. Just sayin'...

mtbr member
    I use Sporthill stuff, XC skiing gear. I like somewhat loose fit, to layer with and a full length two way zipper on the legs to vent and on off over boots.

I really don't like some of the new 'windproff/waterproof' fabrics, anything with 'urethane layer', goretex, etc. I like maximum ventilation to vent moisture.

I have an PI amfib bib, never use it, tights feels cold to me . it is going to be a bottom layer for really cold temps .

The foxwear stuff looks interesting.

Silver bullet

Thanks

Thanks for you input everyone. The order has been sent to Santa.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I bought the pants version of these last year and I love them (I am wearing them rite now). They have a soft fleece lining, are wind and water resistant, while still breathing. I just bought a pair of the bibs and should be getting them any day. I wear them for cold winter riding, snowshoeing, cold xc skiing, shoveling the driveway, ect.

On warmer rides I wear baggy knickers with leg warmers. I wear a bike short/liner under what ever I am riding in.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by 9GUY9
    I bought the pants version of these last year and I love them (I am wearing them rite now). They have a soft fleece lining, are wind and water resistant, while still breathing. I just bought a pair of the bibs and should be getting them any day. I wear them for cold winter riding, snowshoeing, cold xc skiing, shoveling the driveway, ect.

On warmer rides I wear baggy knickers with leg warmers. I wear a bike short/liner under what ever I am riding in.
    I think I'm going to check those out!! They are a little more reasonable. Thanks

How much does it weigh?
    I bought these booties and these pants today.

Both are wind proof type stuff, and water resistant, hopefully it will keep me warm.. I won't be riding any Alaskan adventures, so it should be good enough.

I had to get the XL booties to fit over my Shimano MP90 shoes, which are not SPD but just regular flat MTB shoes.

I can't wait to conquer the cold now, I hated riding in the cold before because I suffer from low blood circulation / pressure, which makes it really hard to stay warm.

mtbr member
    I ride with some Addidas warmup pants from Goodwill down to 25F if I keep moving. if colder add long johns. But I wear very warm boots.

mtbr member
    Just picked up a pair of Craft Storm pants on sale at Performance for $80. Can't wait to try them.

mtbr member
    Anyone try Ibex? The Craft look nice, but I've become a huge fan of wool - still insulates when wet and never gets stanky like the synthetic fibers can.
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Anyone try Ibex? The Craft look nice, but I've become a huge fan of wool - still insulates when wet and never gets stanky like the synthetic fibers can.

I too am a big fan of wool for the reasons mentioned. However the price of those pants is a bit rich for my blood. But you made me recall a pair of wool army pants I used to have. They were great for winter activities. Might be worth taking a look at the army surplus store for some winter riding gear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    for those of us who would rather spend their money on bike parts and beer than pants (or who just don't have enough money)- I've got some fox dh pants that work great as a top layer. I wear them over 1-2 other layers. Often thin silk long underwear then add in running pants or thick long underwear for temperatures below 10. I'm good down to around -10 F and they cost me about $30. The thing I love about these is the way they shed snow and keep me dry when I fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9GUY9
    I too am a big fan of wool for the reasons mentioned. However the price of those pants is a bit rich for my blood. But you made me recall a pair of wool army pants I used to have. They were great for winter activities. Might be worth taking a look at the army surplus store for some winter riding gear.
    No doubt pricey. What about something like this or this or this? I usually wear 3/4 bibs as a base and then tights/overpants depending on temps.
    Professional Amateur

Silver bullet

Tree Fort Bikes

Tree Fort Bikes has them on sale for $90. Not as good as Performance but more sizes to choose from.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Craft Storm Pants

I use the Craft pants as well with thin merino underwear (long johns) they are great, they have a zipper on both legs running the whole length so that you can vent if your feeling a little warm. These pants block the wind well, have a micro fleece lining and a zipper and are tighter at the ankle so that the bottoms don't get all gunked up by an oily chain. The only complaint i have with them is that whenever i go to take a leak the snaps at the waistband give way and i have to do them up again. I guess i have to improve my technique.

viva la v-brakes!
    I'm wearing my Swerve cycling pants right now. Basically they are a soft-shell pant. Pretty warm and allow for great freedom of movement. Look pretty much like a normal pair of pants too, so they are especially versatile.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillsy
    the Craft pants... have a zipper on both legs running the whole length ...
    You must be talking about different pants because the ones most have indicated and linked to in this thread only have calf zippers.

bicycle dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    You must be talking about different pants because the ones most have indicated and linked to in this thread only have calf zippers.
    Their PXC Pants have a greenish colour to them and zip up both sides. Similar construction, just not as thick with the fleece. I'm using those currently but I have to layer up.

I did use the storm tights in a bib version, but I just cannot stand Craft's chamois. (That and I have a size too big ... oops.) I'm thinking I might pick up the storm pants though for the extra warmth soon though.
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I second Lou at Foxwear, http://www.foxwear.net/index.html, been using his gear for a few years, just bought a heap of hiking gear for my daughter to wear on our Everest Base Camp trek in Nepal next March. You send him the measurements and it's an absolute custom fit.

I know Santa's been given the order but wanted to put in my 0.2c worth.

Al

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Yes, you are correct. I must be talking about the Craft Active XC pant. I will get my stories straight in the future.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I bought and tested a pair of Craft Storm tights tonight based on recommendation here...

Not bad, not bad at all. 16F and 15mph wind wearing only bike shorts underneath. Had enough room at the ankles for three thick sock layers without being excessive or constrictive. Felt warm and flexible. Maybe a touch cold at the knees, but that's ok.

They seem very wind resistant, I was a little concerned when just standing around before riding, I felt chilly. Once I got going, the wind didn't make things any colder. Sweet.

I don't know if they're $120 of awesome, but they are indeed pretty darn good. Not the best value, but very effective.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I wound up getting the fleece lined pearl izumi pants for christmas- first ride in them this am. worked well, nothing spectacular. Wouldn't have spent the money myself, but can't complain at all.

mtbr member
    Finally tried out the Craft Storm pants today. I really like them but they are a bit short for me. I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam and would love it if they could add a couple inches to them.

No, that's not phonetic
    I normally wear size L in most pants/shorts/tights. I got size XL in the Storm tights so that I could wear another layer underneath, and they don't seem baggy. Consider sizing up one size.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ibex knickers or Sporthill XC ski pants, depending on the temp.
    I have a pair of the PI amphib pants, wish they were bibs. Wear them once in in great while.

Will get a softshell when the Sporthill pair die.

PUG U!!!
    Thanks for giving the thumbs up to the Strom Craft pants!!
    They are sweet!!
    I've had them for a couple weeks now and they are well worth the $$$!!
    -27 last Monday, and I just wore my padded liner shorts and was toasty. The next day was -33 with the wind and the same can be said..... Toasty!!

Peace

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I know I'm bringing back an old subject, but it is starting to get cold around here. It seems people have focused highly on the Craft pants here and was looking for more cost effective alternatives. Say $60 or less.

Has anybody used the Columbia ski pants and have an opinion? Or any ski pants for that matter (besides Craft)? Sierra Trading Post always has some really good deals clothing.

Thanks,
    Dan

aka bOb
    I'm no expert but I use a cycling breathable rain pant with some type of thin long johns under them. Mine are Craft but I know there are a lot cheaper manufactures out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, I tried rain pants with a thermal layer today at 32 deg F and that was too cold on the thighs.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    Yeah, I tried rain pants with a thermal layer today at 32 deg F and that was too cold on the thighs.
    My ride was 5 deg f and lots of wind this morning and I was toasty. I like it cold though, everybody is different and I over heat easy.

movement
    Oct 2011
    I really like the Patagonia Alpine Guide Pants. Soft-shell pants built for alpine pursuits.

Stretchy, breathable, water-resistant and great for a layering system if you need to add warmth. Recycled content and recyclable.

Like most Patagonia it has a higher initial cost but the quality and durability equate to value over the long haul.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I bought these for XC skiing but use them for everything from snowshoeing to snowbiking as well. Planning to get suspenders sewn into them this year. They are a softshell type material, loose cut kind of like a pair of jeans.

I usually only wear a regular bib short underneath, but on colder days I'll use a 3/4 length bib knicker (winter weight) with over the calf wool ski socks.

http://www.sugoi.com/can/bike/men/ou...20-pant-1.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Finally tried out the Craft Storm pants today. I really like them but they are a bit short for me. I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam and would love it if they could add a couple inches to them.
    did you try on the large or xl? i too am looking for pants, 6'6", 36 inseam.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you're tall, might as well have Lou at Foxwear make you some pants. He's great to deal with. I bought some Neoshell pants and I love them.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    If you're tall, might as well have Lou at Foxwear make you some pants. He's great to deal with. I bought some Neoshell pants and I love them.
    I second that. I'm 6'4" and the pants Lou made for me are great. Plenty long. I ordered a pair of PowerShield pants and a pair of Power Stretch tights from him. Along with spec'ing the length, you get to pick the weight of the fabric too. You don't get the fancy logos or attractive trim, but you do get clothes which will fit and your choice of fabrics. Custom is sweet! (and he is cheaper than the off the shelf stuff)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I really like my Craft pants. I've worn them with a base layer down to -16F with no discomfort. I wear shorts on the outside as well.

Caveman
    patagonia guides - any one of them. The Backcountry guides are great with bigger boots once you cut out the silly mesh on the side vents.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bellwether

These may have been mentioned already in this post but I've been using Bellwether Windfront winter pants, not tight fitting, and they've taken me down to 50+ below no problem as long as I'm moving. I'm still using my original pair that are 10 yrs old and pretty beat up, but still functional. A few years ago they were still in the $50 range.

Pat

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    These may have been mentioned already in this post but I've been using Bellwether Windfront winter pants, not tight fitting, and they've taken me down to 50+ below no problem as long as I'm moving. I'm still using my original pair that are 10 yrs old and pretty beat up, but still functional. A few years ago they were still in the $50 range.

Pat
    I have been wearing those Bellwether Windfront for years. They really work in the cold. My only wish that they came in bibs. The back of the Bellwether pants are a bit too short for me. I ride very low and cold air drifts into my back. . Most cycling pants make the rear a bit longer. It might not be a problem for riders that ride really upright. I have moved to Pearl Izumi Elite bibs and Pearl Amfib bibs. Pearl Izumi's were not warm as the Bellwether but their shape works better for me. I run Pearl Izumi tights one size larger and use longer socks, knee warmers, and cycling shorts inside them.
    Last edited by mttklmhifi1; 12-09-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Those Craft pants look nice for sure. Down to 40 I wear shorts, still. Below 40 I wear a cheap pair of nylon pants to cut the wind a little. 30 and below I break out my SWIX lightweight soft shell ski pants. Very stretchy and soft, and they breathe just right to keep me perfectly warm. Colder than about 10 and I'm probably not riding anyway. That cold here (Upstate NY also) - not even CLOSE to some of the numbers you guys are talking - is actually pretty rough, as it is a humid cold that goes right through to your bones, even if it is not windy.

I find it a lot more important to regulate temp at my neck, head, feet, and hands anyway. Keep the wind from biting, and legs are usually just fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Swrve Blk Label Winter Softshell Pants. They are not cheap but truly worth it! The Blk Label items are often the same patterns as their normal stuff except for a $ uplift for a quality high function name brand fabric such as the 4-way stretch Schoeller Softshell on their Blk Label Winter Softshell Pants. Nice articulations and paneling as well. Water and wind resistant, I have stayed warm in them even when they have been soaked. Great for any winter activity!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just picked up a pair of Gamma SK Pants from Arc'teryx. They're a lightweight softshell that provides a lot of stretch and have lightweight built in snow gaiters in the cuffs. These were spendy for sure, but I'll get a lot of use out of them splitboarding too, so I'm hoping it will be worth the investment. The bottom of the cuffs is heavily reinforced with a super duty nylon that stiffens the pants at the cuff. Seems to have worked well at keeping them out of the drivetrain so when I test rode them. My Muk 2 showed up tonight, so I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Harrumph
    Late to the show, but +1 for Craft's AXC Touring pants. Been using them for 4yrs now and are starting to show it. But still are easy to get on/off, cut the wind, and breathe. Not super warm, but that's perfect for an outer layer. Add an insulated tights and a mid weight base layer they are good to -40f.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So, I just ordered a pair of Boulder Gear Boulder Cargo Pants - Insulated from Sierra Trading post. With coupons I got them for ~$46. They're supposed to be waterproof/breathable (we'll see how well that works).

One thing I didn't mention is that I'll be wearing these with snow boots. I have a peripheral neuropathy symptom where my extremities have a hard time regulating temperature. Particularly letting my feet and hands get too cold. So, I need something that keeps me a little more toasty than the average person.

Need Sleep
    Immersion Research makes the best Kayaking clothing line, it works just as well doing anything else!!

Store

Get a Union Suit in the Layering section for ultimate warmth!!
    Go buy a Pizza

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    lots of good options! lose fit, wind proof, etc. are all these choices quiet? the ones I have now sound like a Sun Chip bag! A pair I have had in the past sounded like zip zip zip.....
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    softshell material seems quiet enough for me.

mtbr member
    I use scratchy wool Army surplus pants. They are supa' warm and increase the toughness of my legs.
    Duct tape makes you smarter.

mtbr member
    quite a few guys were rocking Lou's Foxwear pants last night at my first beach ride. I'm a big buy, but I definitely could of used a pair. Which is why I'll be ordering some soon!
    "You don't cross my ***** line, I don't cross your ***** line".
    - James Lahey Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor

mtbr member
    I got a couple pairs of these Mens Padded Bike Tights, Men's cycling tight, Windproof Biking Pants
    Not cold enough to use them yet, I will post up once I do.

Weird Eh
    Bellwether Windfront tights work great at a resonable price
    http://www.amazon.com/Bellwether-Win.../dp/B001EVJL68

Members who have read this thread: 2