Winter Fat Build: Grip Shift or Tirgger?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Winter Fat Build: Grip Shift or Tirgger?

Putting together a custom 907 170 and would love to get feedback on gripshift or triggers on a winter use fatbike. I've ridden both but figure grip would be nice for winter with mitts, gloves and potentially cold hands. Unfortunately with grip shift you're stuck with 9sp unless you want to spend loads for X.0 gripshift... Let me know what you think!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The X.0 is pricey, but it's an incredibly smooth product. I recently switched my wife's bike over to 10s and the shifting is really nice. If the cost is too high, just wait for it to trickel down to X.9/7 etc.

mtbr member
    I've used gloves and even poggies with triggers on my Muk2 without a problem. I use a size small in gloves, so I have small hands, which is probably why I don't have any issues.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    How about Thumbies and SRAM TT shifters? Light, solid performance, super easy to shift with mittens or gloves.

mtbr member
    I have SRAM X9 Twist Shifters and like them more than triggers. I can span a few gears at once when I want to. I did have to change the way I gripped the bar, but it was for the better and wouldn't go back.

Chad
    Mar 2008

Thumbies!!!

The microshift thumbies on my mostly stock Moonlander are tits-up. Gloves, ice-laden lines
    or otherwise. Any thumbie, SRAM, Shimano or otherwise is good with me.

Sidenote: any other severe conditions guys using old SRAM BassWorms to increase return tension on 10 degree thickend cable/housing lube?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    When you say X0, do you mean the new model? I use the older (still available) 9spd X0's and they work great, especially with Gore Ride-On cables. Haven't tried the new ones. Not crazy about the complexity (a zillion ball bearings) and I don't see the need for 10 speeds. I've been running Gripshifters on all my bikes for at least a dozen years without any problems, and I like the ability to shift as many cogs in one motion as I want. Definitely easier to shift with big gloves.

Harrumph
    Just use whatever you prefer for MTB shifters.

I can't understand why people think it's easier to twist vs. thumb stab with gloves on. If you are using Sram triggers or Shimano made within the last few years your thumb can do all the work. Last I checked, most gloves and mittens have thumbs.

Twist grips are OEM spec due to COST not because they are somehow awesomer in the cold. The cheap twist grip shifters are really cheap.

I've never had a trigger fail. If really neglected they might need some spray lube therapy.

Thumbies are also OEM for cost reasons. Sure the friction feature is a nice bailout.... But honestly, if things have degraded where it's required..... You probably have bigger issues.

Cliffs Notes: Just use your preferred style of shifter! Choice of glove should not impact the decision.
    Last edited by G-reg; 09-30-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Cellphone typing
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I plan to use this "STI" shift/brakes on my new 9:zero:7 a little concern about then cold performance, but other than that I actually like them a lot.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I used XT rapidfire shifters (both forefinger and thumb only operated) on our expedition bikes (not fat) for an Americas trip (28000km) so that we could ride using mitts in cold or wet weather. That seemed to work fine. Not tested for reliability in extreme low temperatures, but fine with cold hands.

Members who have read this thread: 0