mtbr member
    Mar 2012

will the beach destroy a new fatbike?

I am trying to decide between a bikesdirect boris for $895 or a specialized fatboy for $2000. will the saltwater/sand destroy the bike? Im thinking about going cheap just in case but i like the looks of the fatboy.
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    May 2012
    hmm strange.. there must be more than simply looks to make you consider the fatboy huh? If not, then I'd say get the bd... yes it will put wear on the bike, but that's akin to saying 'will riding on the pavement wear down my knobbie tires faster?' yes, yes it would

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    I am trying to decide between a bikesdirect boris for $895 or a specialized fatboy for $2000. will the saltwater/sand destroy the bike? Im thinking about going cheap just in case but i like the looks of the fatboy.
    If you've got the budget for a $2000 bike but are worried about saltwater / sand corrosion/wear why not buy 2 Boris (Borises , Borii , Boris's ?) keep one set up for the beach and the other set up for other less mechanically demanding terrain .

Or buy a Boris and put the extra cash to one side to repair it when / if it does corrode .

I can't imagine it would take a great deal of extra cash to protect a bike from the "increased" wear riding the beach would cause over riding mud and such.

Just my 2c

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Here's a good article on beach riding and drivetrain damage

Thingamejigger
    A bit of prep on the bikes bearings with new waterproof grease and copperslip on all the threaded bits, then a bit of waxoyl into the frame will help. Wash and lube after a beach ride and it will be fine.

Things will wear out but does that not happen in mud too and various people have thousands of miles of fat miles on the beach with their bike still going strong!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    thank you for the links. i guess i am really thinking about frame rust. should i view a beach fatbike as disposable frame wise meaning it will be a corroded mess in 5 years? will it only be looks that are affected? we dont get a lot of snow in DC so it will pretty much be trail or beach for the fatbike.
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

Thingamejigger
    Nope, frame saver or Waxoyl, like I said, that and a bit TLC and they will last indefinitely .... Coastkid (Bruce) has done 10000 miles on his Pugsleys and they are still going strong!

If you dont look after it and just chuck it in the shed after bathing it in saltwater, then sure, you will have problems but prevention is better than cure as they say!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yep, Frame Saver treatment, post-ride shower and towel drying, maybe an occasional waxing. I also spritz some Maxima Chain Wax into the heads of steel bolts and screws to prevent rust. It's long lasting and really effective.

mtbr member
    My Pugsley has spent at least 9 months on the beach camping in Baja. I don't ride it into the ocean, but salt water spray or salty wet sand has been all over it.

It also got to enjoy two Canadian winters with the road salt and sand that comes with that territory.

I did nothing to it including rustproofing for the first 3yrs and then rustproofed it after getting it re-painted.

The only rusting issues I had were some external rust that came off easily with a dremel tool. I could have avoided most of this by washing down the bike with fresh water to get the salt off, but I was lazy and did nothing.

I did also get a rusty chain since I rarely bothered to lube it, but I am running an IGH so it made no difference to how the bike rode and I replaced it with another $16 SRAM chain every year or so.

My Pugs is now 5yrs old and is running all the same components as when it was built new save for new tires/rims/cables and chain.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Compulsive Bike Builder
    I ride on the beach a lot. I recommend "Salt Away" after every ride. I also rinse the bike off as much as possible during a ride. I ride past a lot of surf shower stations and use those. I rinse immediately after a ride, I often choose the start/finish spot based on that. I always clean the bike with salt away within 24 hours of finishing the ride. I also like "bike lust" wax. I apply to a rag first then wipe on the bike. I don't spray due to brake pads and rotors. Salt Away does not contaminate brake pads or rotors though.

Metallic brake pads (semi metallic, sintered) rust and don't last very long. I stick with organic/resin type.

Bearings are the biggest challenge. I like Crank Brothers pedals because they have a grease injection port. I wish my headset, bb and hubs all had grease ports. I choose those components based on ease of replacing bearings, and I pack extra grease around them wherever possible.

Fighting rust was a loosing battle with my old Wildfire designs frame. I treated it with framesaver and touched it up with primer wherever rust was bubbling through the paint, which was everywhere. Eventually chainsuck and rust got the best of it and it corroded through the right chainstay.

I chose a Fatback to replace it because it is aluminum and available anodized. Even aluminum can rust and develop that nasty white oxide. I have gotten none of that on the Fatback so far after more than a year.

I treat all threads with grease or anti seize. I like centerlock hubs because the rotor can have a big aluminum center that way. The middle of the rotor always gets a little surface rust. Stainless steel is NOT rustproof, btw, but it rusts much less and not as deep. Centerlock is also nice because one of the 6 tiny rotor bolts inevitably seize up. The one big lock ring is much easier to work with. Only 616 makes a centerlock fatbike hubset as far as I know.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Laramie, Wyoming
    Don't listen to these guys. These bikes have been made and designed for riding in snow. They don't work on the beach at all.

never summer
    Salt water and sand reeks havoc on everything...that shouldn't stop you from enjoying your fatbike in those conditions. Just be prepared for additional maintenance and increased wear and tear.

*only destroyed parts I've encountered was a dead BB and that was due the design. Replaced it with a CK and had no issues since.

BikesDirect vs Fatboy? I'd go special*ed...resale will be easier without a doubt if you get bored with it.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy