Wider tire or wider rim? - what makes more difference?- Mtbr.com
    That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008

Wider tire or wider rim? - what makes more difference?

FIrst off I do not have a fat bike, I would love to have one but what I do have right now is um .. a plump unicycle.

I am riding a echo 46mm rim with a 36x3 Gazz which I find to be an awesome combination for summer but usually want a bit more float and traction in the winter.

When news of the Larry tire came out I got excited and looked at the clearance on my frame and thought that it just might fit. And if it doesn't I could pound on the inside surfaces of the legs a bit increase my clearance (it is a $40 ChroMo frame so not that serious if I end up wrecking it).

I was pretty much set on getting the Larry when it came out and seeing if I could make it work until yesterday when I went for a long ride (~70km) on icy and snowy paths with rocks and roots sticking up and hidden in the snow. I had to lower my tire pressure to lower than I normally ride to increase my grip and help smooth out the unexpected bumps and lumps hidden beneath the snow.

With the pressure lowered my tire started to have that slightly squirly feeling of a tire too large for its rim. My first thought was to put on a slightly narrower tire to fix that but really a smaller tire would go against the reason I lowered the pressure on my normally awesome feeling Gazz in the first place. About two hours into my ride I realized that what would really make my ride better is a wider rim.

Due to frame clearance I can not do both. I and am concerned that riding the Larry on the 47mm rim will feel like riding my Gazz on a DX32 (feels like crap) but some of you bike people are saying that you are riding endos on 47 and 50mm rims.

I know not everything translates perfectly between the one and two wheeled worlds but I thought I would get some opinions from you guys on what route I should take.

And the discussion might help other people who can fit either a fat tire on a slim rim or a plump tire on a fat rim in their rigs.

I really want a fat bike but 1/2 the bike costs 1/2 the $$$ I don't have much to spare.

mtbr member
    Anyone....? How 'bout if you had framebuider make a fat frame, how much could it really cost?

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone
    Anyone....?
    haha now THAT is appropriate I logged on and was going to post something to bump this thread then fell asleep! Just woke up now

Would it help if you guys forgot that I mentioned unicycles and just thought of it as me having a plump bike with a Gazz on a 46mm rim with a bit of room to spare? Possibly room for an endo and definitely room for a wider rim but not both.

I really thought that this would start some conversation about the pros and cons of extra wide rims vs the pros and cons of extra wide tires as I have seen posts and pics on here of people riding endos on skinnyish (40-50mm) rims as well as people riding slimmer tires on uber-wide rims.

Since I want to increase stability I am leaning towards getting a 70mm speedway rim. I should have enough by christmas time to buy myself a present.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

thinking wide..

I've been bugging surly to do the 24 in Endo for years. After I built the StubPugs, I realized the float of the Ends had alot to do with the supple side walls and massive air volumne.
    I had 2.7 dh tires on Largemarge rims. Rode it as a snowbike for a year.Great snowbike..but not a Pugsley. I then bulit a Pugs. Wow, what a difference. Suddenly, the StubPugs didn't go so well.
    I rode both bikes on the dirt. The Pugs rode better as a mountainbike.Now I'm building another. The StubPugs was stripped and turned into "the Left-handed 1x1."
    Having said all that....big air, fat rims simply rule.

Also, don't stop talking Muni. Someday I'll own Surly's Connundrum. And MTBR will have a Muni thread. (I mean ,come on...they have an ELECTRIC bike thread )

mtbr member
    1spd1way sent you a PM

mtbr member
    No, I didn't forget the unicycle part. Sorry I don't know anything about unicycles, and am impatiently waiting for my first fatty experience, so I have no humble advice. I have run big tires with skinny rims, and 2.1 tires with snowcats due to frame limitations. I had better success with snowcat/skinny combo 'cuz I could air down lower without pinch flatting, but neither was ideal in snow. I was curious for an answer myself to your question(s).

mtbr member
    the main reason i use a 50mm uma is because with the 65 LM i got too many rock dings on the rim. max snow float is not a concern here in NJ, ice yes, snow no.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

no dabs
    Oct 2008
    i've experimented with this quite a bit.

if you can only do a wider tire OR a wider rim, but not both, my conclusions:

wider rim beats wider tire for handling at all pressures (even high pressures). It also wins out for better flotation in that you can lower pressure more before handling and pinch flat resistance go to crap. There is also some evidence that the wider rim slightly reduces rolling resistance for a given tire (both off road and on).

Wider tire on a narrower rim offers the advantage of better rim protection from scuffs and rock strikes, but at the cost of snake bite resistance and crappy handling at low pressure. For some tires, it also offers better tread profile (traction) on the ground contact at high pressure.

Is it obvious that I picked the 39mm rim with the 2.3 tire instead of the 25mm rim with the 2.5 tire when I ran out of space between the stays?

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    Thanks rocwandrer, that is the sort of response I was hunting for.

I really wonder why wider rims are not more common in mountain biking. The industry must be stuck in weight weenie mode.

Members who have read this thread: 0