This place needs an enema

Wider spindles for Shimano pedals?

Anyone know of a source?

I use the 520, 540, and maybe sometimes the 530. Looking to widen the pedals to eliminate light interference between my warm winter boots and the crankarms.

Thanks for any help.

Human Test Subject
    Issi pedals are similar if you can deal with the iffy clipping in. They don't guide your cleats in like Shimanos do.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I looked for something similar and couldn't find them. Hopefully they'll be a thing soon as ultegra and dura ace have had this as an option for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Issi pedals are similar if you can deal with the iffy clipping in. They don't guide your cleats in like Shimanos do.

I broke 7 ISSI pedals last winter. Seven. Riding non-technical, deep, dry snow, where the only contact they had with anything other than the aforementioned soft surface was with my feet.

I loved them for their spindle width options, but their lack of durability rivals, or maybe bests, Crank Brothers.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Anyone know of a source?

I use the 520, 540, and maybe sometimes the 530. Looking to widen the pedals to eliminate light interference between my warm winter boots and the crankarms.

Thanks for any help.
    Well, definitely not XTR, they are a bit shorter than my XTs and 520s. It seems the shoes and even crank-arm shape has a lot to do with this as well.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    How much wider would you like to go? I use Saint pedal washers, they are 2.5mm. On occasion I have used two standard pedal washers with a saint washer to give just under 5mm, no big jumps and make sure you keep the pedals tight. If you need more than 5mm Knee savers work good but unless you order custom sized you are at 20mm, perfect for Micky Mouse boots but maybe more than you desire.

Cheers.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    How much wider would you like to go? I use Saint pedal washers, they are 2.5mm. On occasion I have used two standard pedal washers with a saint washer to give just under 5mm, no big jumps and make sure you keep the pedals tight. If you need more than 5mm Knee savers work good but unless you order custom sized you are at 20mm, perfect for Micky Mouse boots but maybe more than you desire.

Cheers.

In a perfect world, probably 6 to 8mm over stock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Shimano makes a +4mm spindle for Dura Ace but zero options for off road.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Pedal Extenders. Just let them know your specs.

Bicycle Stainless Steel Pedal Extender. 9/16" Thread 20mm, 25mm, 30mm long. | eBay
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I tried some specialized branded extenders and they were just too wide. I ended up moving the cleat as far inward as possible, and adding two pedal washers. Which worked for my size 50 lakes with 45 below overboots glued on them.

There are several companies making longer eggbeater spindles - perhaps some of them do spds, these guys apparently make normal length ones, perhaps you could get them to make a longer one Home Page

I am thinking now about trying the extenders again, as I switched to ATACs, and the cleats have no side to side adjustment.

bigger than you.
    I broke 7 ISSI pedals last winter. Seven. Riding non-technical, deep, dry snow, where the only contact they had with anything other than the aforementioned soft surface was with my feet.

I loved them for their spindle width options, but their lack of durability rivals, or maybe bests, Crank Brothers.
    I have 4 years on a set of crank brothers egg beaters in three years on a set of candy threes. I weigh well over 250 pounds and beat the sh!t out of everything. The egg beaters have been rebuilt once and I replaced the bearings on the candy threes when I installed long spindles the summer, to reduce heel rub on my bucksaw. I find them to be far more durable than the Shimano SPD Pedals that I've used, which didn't last even a season and couldn't be rebuilt

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I have 4 years on a set of crank brothers egg beaters in three years on a set of candy threes. I weigh well over 250 pounds and beat the sh!t out of everything. The egg beaters have been rebuilt once and I replaced the bearings on the candy threes when I installed long spindles the summer, to reduce heel rub on my bucksaw. I find them to be far more durable than the Shimano SPD Pedals that I've used, which didn't last even a season and couldn't be rebuilt

So you're their satisfied customer!!! Sweet, glad to finally meet you!!!

mtbr member
    Drop these folks a note: Home Page

While they advertise Crank Bros, I'm pretty sure they make a whole bunch of spindles but don't advertise this for legal reasons.

EDIT: There's also these folks here: http://stores.ebay.com/tispindle?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

eBay site says:

We are USA Manufacturers of Aftermarket Titanium Spindles. We have many products that are not listed in our store for legal reasons. Please contact us for products not listed here. We also carry many custom length spindles to match every size rider. We work with many bike fit consultants. Our Office number is 626-644-0781 ask for Libby.

I'm truly psyched for you, Lance.

My last year on Egg Beaters (maybe ~7 years ago) I broke 14 pedals. Most of them were inconsequential -- the spring end would snap, the wings would collapse, and I just wouldn't be able to clip in. No biggie, limp back home, put a new one on, send the dead one back, etc... I had piles of spares, and CB told me they'd identified the problem and made a running change, so I was OK with that.

Then, twice in 2 months, I had spindles shear on brand new (pulled out of the box that day) pedals. One resulted in broken ribs, and happened when I was on a section of beginner trail outside of St. George. No air, no jumping, no flat landings, truly JRA on benign singletrack on new pedals.

I went and paid retail for a pair of Shimano pedals that day, and other than occasionally replacing cleats I haven't had a problem with them to date.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    So you're their satisfied customer!!! Sweet, glad to finally meet you!!!

I still have a pair of CB Candy SL pedals I bought new in 2005. Still spin smooth, no rebuilds needed. Granted, I don't use them frequently anymore, since I primarily ride platform pedals. I put them on my mtb for the Iceman race this fall, and they were on my road bike most of the summer as I trained for a century ride.

Width is a big reason I'm so happy with the DMR Vault platforms I just bought. Nope, they're not clipless, but these have enough width to support the full width of my size 46 shoes with no overhang on the outside edge and no rub on the crank arms.

That custom Ti spindle manufacturer is probably exactly what mikesee needs, though, assuming the shimano pedals can be rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    Drop these folks a note: Home Page

While they advertise Crank Bros, I'm pretty sure they make a whole bunch of spindles but don't advertise this for legal reasons.

EDIT: There's also these folks here: http://stores.ebay.com/tispindle?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

eBay site says:

We are USA Manufacturers of Aftermarket Titanium Spindles. We have many products that are not listed in our store for legal reasons. Please contact us for products not listed here. We also carry many custom length spindles to match every size rider. We work with many bike fit consultants. Our Office number is 626-644-0781 ask for Libby.

Thanks for this. I ordered some $15 pedal extenders last night. Wider than I (think I) want, but maybe I'll adapt and like 'em? If not, I'll follow through on your link.

mtbr member
    Thanks for this. I ordered some $15 pedal extenders last night. Wider than I (think I) want, but maybe I'll adapt and like 'em? If not, I'll follow through on your link.
    You're welcome. I considered these folks to get some longer Eggbeater spindles, but just went with the OE kit myself. I recall someone local to me saying they got some wider Shimano spindles from the first place, but I just can't remember who.

Just curious, what are you trying to do? Alleviate some heel strike or so?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

What model? Shimano pedals are generally rebuildable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    spindle extenders work great...keeps my big feet from tipping off the sides

bigger than you.
    530, iirc. smashed them on a rock. Never got on with them anyway, not nearly enough float and too hard to get in and out of in a pinch.

mtbr member
    Anyone find wider ahimano spindles yet? Anyone know anyone who makes custom spindles??
    Larry Miller-
    www.laxon3.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There are a few sellers on eBay that sell custom spindles. Lengths may be possible if you contact them.

Ive been using spacers for several years w/o issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I know mikesee didnt have much luck with ISSI pedals, but I just got a set +12mm each spindle. Seems good enough. Well how they hold up throughout the year. I prefer a wider q so I got these for my smaller bikes to match my fat bike q.

mtbr member
    Yes I purchased the ISSI plus 12 but its actually plus 10 compared to shimano according the the specs. SHimano pedal is wider than a standard ISSI flash. But they are great! The only thing is I can honsetly say the SHimano engagement and hold just feels better. So I am hoping to convert some Shimano's to wider.
    I have a friend checking with a machine shop to see what they think about making a batch. If anyone is intertsted let me know. Thanks
    Larry Miller-
    www.laxon3.tumblr.com