Wide Tubeless Tape. Where To Buy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Wide Tubeless Tape. Where To Buy?

There has been reports in a few threads of people using wide strapping tape for fatbike tubeless. The M3 8898 strapping tape in 72mm is supposed to work well **Scotch® Strapping Tape 8898

Does anyone know where to buy this stuff? I've phoned every local shipping supply and fastener store without success. One place could order a crate but nobody carries single roles. It is the same store online. I've only found it sold by the crate.

If I can't find anything I'll have to resort to wide Gorilla tape for my upcoming MuleFut build. It works okay but leave a sticky mess when removed.

Can anyone advise where to buy single rolls of wide strapping tape or something similar?

Thanks!

mtbr member

Uline

[email protected]
    Quote Originally Posted by BobShort View Post
    There has been reports in a few threads of people using wide strapping tape for fatbike tubeless. The M3 8898 strapping tape in 72mm is supposed to work well **Scotch® Strapping Tape 8898

Does anyone know where to buy this stuff? I've phoned every local shipping supply and fastener store without success. One place could order a crate but nobody carries single roles. It is the same store online. I've only found it sold by the crate.

If I can't find anything I'll have to resort to wide Gorilla tape for my upcoming MuleFut build. It works okay but leave a sticky mess when removed.

Can anyone advise where to buy single rolls of wide strapping tape or something similar?

Thanks!
    Tyvek House wrap tape. Home Depot, Lowes or any lumber yard. Comes in 2" and 3" rolls. You will not find a lighter, better solution. I have used it on tons of fat bike set-ups, it is made to withstand the elements, unlike everything else people seem to be trying.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by calzonical View Post
    I think uline has a minimum of 12 roles if I'm not mistaken.

Anchorage, AK
    Amazon.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    I think uline has a minimum of 12 roles if I'm not mistaken.
    U r correct.
    Well that sucks. Ordered two rolls from them back in 2013 without issue.

This place needs an enema
    (edited immediately--I was looking at cost for a case of 110m rolls, but I've now found 55m rolls that cut the price substantially.)

I've been considering ordering a few cases of the 72mm stuff, so that I'd not only have it on-hand for my customer's builds, but so that I could provide single rolls to people in need.

Thing is, my case cost would still require me to charge roughly $22 per roll to break even once shipping and time (to ship it here, box it up, and walk it over to Fed Ex to ship to you) are factored in.

Would people be willing to pay that?

I haven't been able to find single rolls online either.

aka bOb
    Why not go with wider stuff (100mm) then people could trim to fit their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Why not go with wider stuff (100mm) then people could trim to fit their needs.
    That's a great question, and I had already looked into it.

Main reason I'm against it is that trimming can be tricky, imprecise, and frustrating. Not everyone wants to fiddle with it.

But then I also noticed that of the few places that carry the 96mm wide rolls, they mandate an 8 *case* minimum. I don't need $1400 worth of tape waiting around for people to (maybe, maybe not) purchase.

Ordered a few cases of the 72mm stuff this AM, should see it middle of next week.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1strongone1 View Post
    Tyvek House wrap tape. Home Depot, Lowes or any lumber yard. Comes in 2" and 3" rolls. You will not find a lighter, better solution. I have used it on tons of fat bike set-ups, it is made to withstand the elements, unlike everything else people seem to be trying.
    good info....no issues with getting sealant to work with it? Have you tried it on a fatboy yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    (edited immediately--I was looking at cost for a case of 110m rolls, but I've now found 55m rolls that cut the price substantially.)

I've been considering ordering a few cases of the 72mm stuff, so that I'd not only have it on-hand for my customer's builds, but so that I could provide single rolls to people in need.

Thing is, my case cost would still require me to charge roughly $22 per roll to break even once shipping and time (to ship it here, box it up, and walk it over to Fed Ex to ship to you) are factored in.

Would people be willing to pay that?

I haven't been able to find single rolls online either.
    Thanks Mike! I'd definitely pay $22. Unfortunately I'm in Canada though and the extra shipping/duty/handling/taxes/exchange might make it prohibitively expensive.

On the subject of trimming, I'd way rather not have to trim. It is hard to get a nice edge.

On an unrelated subject, for the MuleFut, do you bring the tape right up onto the bead shelf or leave it down a bit? Any issues with leakage around the pinned seam?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

On the subject of trimming, I'd way rather not have to trim. It is hard to get a nice edge.
    Cut the tape on the roll. Mark the width you want around the circumference then stab into it with a utility knife and follow the line. Cut a few plies deep or all the way to the core of the roll depending on your needs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wonder if this would work? Amazon.com: 3M Construction Seaming Tape 8087 Red, 72 mm x 50M, 2 13/16 in x 55 yd (Pack of 1): Industrial & Scientific

On paper, its the same stuff as tyvek and 72mm wide.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

Quote Originally Posted by sven98 View Post
    Wonder if this would work? Amazon.com: 3M Construction Seaming Tape 8087 Red, 72 mm x 50M, 2 13/16 in x 55 yd (Pack of 1): Industrial & Scientific

On paper, its the same stuff as tyvek and 72mm wide.
    Try it and let us know.

Thanks Mike! I'd definitely pay $22. Unfortunately I'm in Canada though and the extra shipping/duty/handling/taxes/exchange might make it prohibitively expensive.

On an unrelated subject, for the MuleFut, do you bring the tape right up onto the bead shelf or leave it down a bit? Any issues with leakage around the pinned seam?
    Dunno if there'd be duty on a roll of tape? Shipping would probably be less than $10.

I try to get the tape to touch the outer rim wall, but not go so far up it that it folds over. Delicate balance. No issues with pinned seam leakage yet, and I expected to see it.

[email protected]
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    good info....no issues with getting sealant to work with it? Have you tried it on a fatboy yet?
    I have used it on every rim, including a set of Fatboys. I just switched out a tire today at noon and took a quick pic, HED Big Deal rim. There is just one layer of Tyvek tape and as you can see from the picture the nipple heads stick way out. There is no rim tape or strip between the heads and the tape, like on cutout rims. The tape has been in the rim for 6 months and is holding up perfect, no leakage, no protrusion of any spoke heads either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wide Tubeless Tape. Where To Buy?-photo.jpg  

I have used it on every rim, including a set of Fatboys. I just switched out a tire today at noon and took a quick pic, HED Big Deal rim. There is just one layer of Tyvek tape and as you can see from the picture the nipple heads stick way out. There is no rim tape or strip between the heads and the tape, like on cutout rims. The tape has been in the rim for 6 months and is holding up perfect, no leakage, no protrusion of any spoke heads either.
    Good tip, Jeff.

I haven't used Tyvek tape on rims, yet. But my experience with using it on boats, paddles, and other outdoor gear is that if the surface you apply it to is clean, dry, oil-free, the tape becomes more or less permanent in short order. For the repairs I use it on, that's usually a good thing. For rims, maybe not?

Bet it'll stick better to alu than carbon, and as such I bet it's removable from carbon.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    awesome thanks for that information....which valve stems/sealant are you having the best luck with?

[email protected]
    awesome thanks for that information....which valve stems/sealant are you having the best luck with?
    I have used stans and WTB stems. I use Stans sealant.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have used stans and WTB stems. I use Stans sealant.
    like these?

WTB Aluminum TCS Valve 34mm Blue Pair Tubeless Presta Valve | eBay

[email protected]
    Yep

mtbr member
    R.S Hughes has 8898 and they sell individual rolls as well, however shipping charges applied after order submitted. Probably best to call for a shipping quote first or just Buy a roll or two from mikesee.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yep

I just got the valves and the 2 inch wide tyvek....going to give it a try with the fatboy....

So I want to clean entire rim with rubbing alcohol and run two strips of tyvek down the middle? then put the original tube back in, set the beads and let it sit for 24 hours to get the tape to sit nicely on the rim? Then pull out tube and put 4-6 ounces of stans in each tire?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ok so I just tried going tubeless with my fatboy...

I cleaned the rim inside real good with rubbing alcohol, used the tyvek 2 inch wide with three loops around the rim. I went from the edge of where tire mounts on each side of the rim and then did another loop in the middle to seal off any leakage in the middle....then installed the old tube back to get the bead to set on one side....pulled the tube out, installed my WTB presta valve, put in 4 scoops of stans sealant, inflated tire....shook tire vigorously, then did figure eights with the wheel installed on the bike for 10 minutes, then did about 1 mile of low speed riding.....tire leaks like crazy around the middle area of the rim where there are the cut outs.

What did I do wrong? I made sure the tyvek was sealed down good, no leaks at all from the beaded area of the rims, just in the middle area by the cut outs.

mtbr member
    Can you post a picture of the area where the valve sits , please ?

[email protected]

I cleaned the rim inside real good with rubbing alcohol, used the tyvek 2 inch wide with three loops around the rim. I went from the edge of where tire mounts on each side of the rim and then did another loop in the middle to seal off any leakage in the middle....then installed the old tube back to get the bead to set on one side....pulled the tube out, installed my WTB presta valve, put in 4 scoops of stans sealant, inflated tire....shook tire vigorously, then did figure eights with the wheel installed on the bike for 10 minutes, then did about 1 mile of low speed riding.....tire leaks like crazy around the middle area of the rim where there are the cut outs.

What did I do wrong? I made sure the tyvek was sealed down good, no leaks at all from the beaded area of the rims, just in the middle area by the cut outs.
    What did you put down over the holes before you layed down the Tyvek.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

go ghetto with split tubes...

Been there, done that....check this out.