why no "fat" road bikes?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ~ B A D A S S ~

why no "fat" road bikes?

I'm wondering why there are no fat road bikes. Fatter tires would make a lot of sense on road bikes. For comfort.

I see some cx bikes can take a bit fatter tires. but mine only takes a 38 or so out back. But I was thinking 50s at least. 60-70mm would be even better.

I converted one of my steel hardtail to dropbar and i run 2.0s on it, its so comfortable, and it has from what I can gather unlimited grip while cornering and brakes like mofo.

I see some "adventure" bikes or gavel touring bikes that can take 50s and maybe a bit more. but those are not road bikes imho!

I wanna see real road bikes that takes fat tires. That are actually built only for that!

Will this ever be produced?? Whats your thoughts on this?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    There are a ton of these, a sampling. trade out the Gravel tires, and you have exactly what you are talking about.

Salsa Fargo

diamondback haanjo

Cannondale Slate

~ B A D A S S ~
    bargearse, i have to look it up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Nothing road about that one. Not the slightest.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    There are a ton of these, a sampling. trade out the Gravel tires, and you have exactly what you are talking about.

Salsa Fargo

diamondback haanjo

Cannondale Slate
    fargo adventure bike, or mostly a weird xc bike with a drop bar.
    dianondback haanjo to slack HTA
    cannondale too slack HTA too.

A road bike has like a HTA of 73deg, STA of 74-75 or so, and uses the shortest fork possible to clear the tires, Top tube is level or at the very most "compact geometry".

These above are off road bikes, not straight road bikes.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    road bikes looks kinda like this:

why no "fat" road bikes?-rubendropgalleryv4_2.jpg
    why no "fat" road bikes?-img2.jpg

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    I'm wondering why there are no fat road bikes. Fatter tires would make a lot of sense on road bikes. For comfort.

...I see some "adventure" bikes or gavel touring bikes that can take 50s and maybe a bit more. but those are not road bikes imho!

...Will this ever be produced?? Whats your thoughts on this?
    Fat tyres do make sense for a road bike. By the time you make room for a fatter tyre (I use 2.35" Big Apples) you've built a 29er.

As for that not being a road bike, I disagree. Just add road gearing and you're set.

Almost all these pics were taken on century rides. Usually involving a long haul to somewhere interesting and then substantial amounts of offroad. Average speed on the road was much the same as I get with a "proper" roadbike. The big advantage of fat road tyres is they're also good offroad.

Roadbikes cease to have limits.

So no apologies, and plenty pics to help you change your mind as to what is a real road bike.

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

is buachail foighneach me
    You don't understand why 'they' don't make bikes designed for hard surfaces designed to use tires designed for soft surfaces?

mtbr member
    Put fat road tyres on a bike, and it's really just returning to road bike origins.

Skinny tyres are an aberration brought about by good roads and go-fast weight weenies.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    The fat road bikes I've seen are usually one off creations done by bike shop owners, or by Velobike, or a handful of other dudes who maintain that drop handlebars are what they know and love.

The answer to your question about why don't "they" make them, it's because the niche is apparently very small. Which is a shame, because I've ridden a fat road bike (not my own) and it felt like a high velocity couch on wheels, designed specifically for swallowing the constant road potholes that are caused by the local freeze/thaw cycle. Fat road bikes ride great for touring speeds less than 18 mph. Anything above that, and I'd assume that you're suffering an aerodynamic drag that isn't worth the extra tire girth.

I've tried explaining this to a pal a bunch of times, Yes if I was trying to travel at 22mph, I'd ride a typical road bike. I'm not trying to cruise at 22, I'm trying to cruise at 17, where the aero picture becomes less painful.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post

So no apologies, and plenty pics to help you change your mind as to what is a real road bike.

what bars are you running on the silver bike? 22,2 or 23,8?

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    btw here is my "monster road" try. I have since lowered the handlebars.

why no "fat" road bikes?-835602d1380482257-my-new-monster-road-commuter-bike8.jpg

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Because people who ride road bikes on the road or on paved trails generally want to go fast. I run 25c tires on a 18mm internal width rim and I have plenty of comfort. But I am riding on pavement.

Larger tires = heavier tires. Means slower acceleration and climbing. People generally want light and fast road bikes.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Because people who ride road bikes on the road or on paved trails generally want to go fast...
    But what is fast? Instantaneous speeds or the ability to maintain an average? I have noticed no drop in average speeds on century rides.

I'm not attempting to go fast as such, but I don't exactly hang around, and it takes me very much the same time to get round a 140 mile loop in the NW Highlands on my "fat" road bike as on my lightweight steel fixed wheel bike. If the roads were perfectly smooth I'm sure the skinny bike would be faster, but they're typically frost damaged, pot-holed, narrow with edge drop offs, stuff that doesn't faze the "fat" road-bike. The skinny bike does feel like it accelerates better but trying to maintain high speed on those roads is difficult with it.

To me speed is about average speeds over distance, rather than peak over a short stretch.

Edit:

what bars are you running on the silver bike? 22,2 or 23,8?
    22.2mm, bars are Satori Bullbar, and I run them specifically so I can use mtb levers for better braking. I like them, they get shifted from bike to bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    ...the niche is apparently very small. Which is a shame, because I've ridden a fat road bike (not my own) and it felt like a high velocity couch on wheels, designed specifically for swallowing the constant road potholes that are caused by the local freeze/thaw cycle. Fat road bikes ride great for touring speeds less than 18 mph. Anything above that, and I'd assume that you're suffering an aerodynamic drag that isn't worth the extra tire girth...]
    Yes, once you start chasing racing bike speeds, hairodynamics becomes very important.

Take a tip from hot-rodders and get your head shaved and polished. Definitely increases speed, and may be why so many old guys can still put down a bit of pace.

However to me the USP of this sort of bike is that it is truly an all purpose bike.

In Scotland we have the right to go anywhere, the right to roam, use waterways, wild camp so long as we are self powered. It is an ancient traditional right fairly common in countries with a Scandinavian background (most of us were Vikings once).

As a result, you can be out on a nice day ride, spot an interesting track heading over a mountain range, and with a bike like this, the odds are that you can ride most of it. Many is the time I have found myself on the other side of a range. I used to do this with skinny bikes, but an awful lot of the ride would end up as a hike-a-bike.

Just as fatbikes have improved the ability of mountainbikes to tackle what was the impassable/impossible, the fat roadbike widens the usable range of roadbikes.

(Racing is a totally different ballgame, and I'm not talking about road race bikes)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My conditions are different. Perfectly smooth paved trails. I have access to about 120 paved round trip miles with only a 1.5m actual street ride. So I guess for me 25c would be faster.

Just my experience and opinion.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

i don't give a shift
    WTB has the 650x47 Horizon tire and calls it Road Plus.

blogging @29in.CH

mtbr member

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Because if the rest of the world is a relative microcosm of who walks through my door with a road bike?

They look at me like I'm on acid, wearing nothing but a water buffalo hide and pink bunny slippers if I ask whether they want 23's or 25's (when they need a road tire).

"23, of course, good god, 25?? Why would I want anything that fat???"

Is the typical response.....

Face it, 5 years ago, MTB guys were basically acting the same way. "A 4" tire? Are you f*cking nuts?"
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    I experimented with that a few years back.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/can...ke-778052.html

mtbr member

Nice.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Because people who ride road bikes on the road or on paved trails generally want to go fast.
    I wouldn't necessarily say they want to go fast, I'd say they want maximum efficiency, in terms of speed to input. That's why it makes no sense. They may be cruising at 5mph or 40mph, but in either case, the energy necessary will be a magnitude less than trying to do it on a fatbike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Vee Tire Co. Speedsters on my Minn. 3.0. I rode this in the STP (back to back centuries-2 days) at an average speed of 12 mph. Pumped to 25-28 psi, they rolled smooth. The downside? It's not a road bike rolling at ~20 pound on 90 psi 23mm tires. It's heavy, all up with tools, two water bottles, snacks...it was 38 pounds.

Probably takes 20% more energy to power down the road. But at the end of the day it was a lot of fun to ride and I received hundreds of positive comments. It absolutely eats up chipseal, manhole covers, storm drains, grassy/gravelly shoulders & misc road debris. It is not a "road bike".

why no "fat" road bikes?-image.jpg

why no "fat" road bikes?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    ...It is not a "road bike".
    Back to back centuries on the road? Then it is a road bike.

It just may not be a road race-bike.

Love the puzzled look in that last pic. You can just imagine the WTFing going on in his head. Well done.

mtbr member
    LOL. Yeah, you are correct. Well it sure was a rode bike too!

Back to back centuries on the road? Then it is a road bike.

It just may not be a road race-bike.

Love the puzzled look in that last pic. You can just imagine the WTFing going on in his head. Well done.

FB&H rider

That was a thread and a tale worthy of resurrection!
    Frabjous joy indeed!
    2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler MBS "Sir Fatsalot"
    2018 Kona Wozo "Adipose Rex"

mtbr member
    A road bike has like a HTA of 73deg, STA of 74-75 or so, and uses the shortest fork possible to clear the tires, Top tube is level or at the very most "compact geometry".

These above are off road bikes, not straight road bikes.
    I was just looking at my Pugsley for road duty. Drop from a 450mm (stock) fork to a custom 410mm fork. That'll put the STA at about 74 degrees and the HTA at about 72.5 degrees. Not sure what offset you'd want at that point.

Bonus points if you also machine the BB for an 83mm crankset. Now you have low(er) q-factor and more road-like geometry. Add Black Floyd tires and a drop bar and you're getting close!

Only problem is the top of the head tube will be in the weeds. That's one thing that would need to be dealt with. For me I'd have a crap ton of spacers there.

bigger than you.

I see some cx bikes can take a bit fatter tires. but mine only takes a 38 or so out back. But I was thinking 50s at least. 60-70mm would be even better.

I converted one of my steel hardtail to dropbar and i run 2.0s on it, its so comfortable, and it has from what I can gather unlimited grip while cornering and brakes like mofo.

I see some "adventure" bikes or gavel touring bikes that can take 50s and maybe a bit more. but those are not road bikes imho!

I wanna see real road bikes that takes fat tires. That are actually built only for that!

Will this ever be produced?? Whats your thoughts on this?
    I use 28's on my road bike, 32-38's on my gravel bike; that's as fat as I wanna get. Why would anyone want more rolling resistance and weight on a road bike? For comfort? That's what chamois are for. This is a stupid idea.

mtbr member
    Cyclocarbon built one!

DB Release 3
    Kona Rove ST + Burley D'Lite

Rippin da fAt
    Convert any fatty to a roadie in minutes...
    why no "fat" road bikes?-vee-tire-apache-fattyslick.jpg

Pump em up to 100 psi and shake your teeth outta your head...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Road bikes and tires are slowly getting wider. Even the pros are riding 23 and 25 tires instead of 20 or 21 from a few years ago. Now you will never see a TDF rider on 50mm tires, but those roadies are starting to come around. There have been some recent studies and even some older ones showing wider lower pressure tires are actually faster/more efficient than skinny high pressure tires. Unless you are riding in a velodrome of course. The wider tires absorb the road irregularities instead of getting bounced around. Interestingly, the skinny high pressure tires FEEL faster because of the bouncy rough ride, but they are not actually faster. There are a few new bikes coming out with wider tires, but they are mostly marketed as 'Allroad' bikes. I think it's a great description, because you really can ride any road you come across.

I upgraded my road bike to disc brakes and 650x42 tires, and it's a way better ride than before. The only problem is when you stick with 700c wheels and get really wide tires, you have to start making geometry changes to accommodate the wheels. Not a problem with big frame sizes, but it's an issue with smaller sizes.

Rippin da fAt
    bikeny has a bytchen bike and it's gotta be far more fun that a silly overinflated micro tire bike could ever dream of being...
    Last edited by BansheeRune; 08-29-2016 at 04:49 PM.
    Doctor recommended...

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DETarch View Post
    Cyclocarbon built one!

Say it can't be done, and Drew Wilson will build it anyway. That dude is rad.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

since 4/10/2009
    I'm really failing to see the problem here.

I also fail to see why a "gravel bike" isn't a road bike.

Car bone's definition of a road bike is too strict.

My road bike is a Salsa Vaya. Did a century last weekend on 700x35's. The 2017 Vaya can fit 700x50's, but on older ones like mine, you've gotta go 650b to get that wide.

IMG_20160821_152216 by Nate, on Flickr

Professional Crastinator
    I set up a 29er as a "road" bike for a dual sport race I did once (700x38). I could corner and brake soooooo hard compared to the "pure" roadies in attendance.

Going fatter, while still a road bike, begins to become less optimized for road travel. You begin to lose any aero advantages, and as weight increases you lose that advantage as well. I don't think rolling resistance is a huge factor, but it might become a factor at some crazy tire size, or if you have a lot of tight(er) turns.

Now, if you're planning on hauling a bunch of stuff, bigger tires might help, but they are probably still unnecessary since there are plenty of narrow tires easily up to the task. Large tires can't be jacked up in pressure to compensate for big loads anyway. Something will blow up, or your rolling resistance will be insurmountable at the lower pressure.

A fat road bike would be a novelty at best, or just something for fun.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My road bike is called Moonlander and has Clownshoes with Buds
    Though i don't do races ..

mtbr member
    Lots of semantics games going on here, moving goalposts, and just plain not listening.
    Yamaguchi Cross YT Jeffsy Salsa Mukluk & Vaya Canyon Commuter

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    Lots of semantics games going on here, moving goalposts, and just plain not listening.
    What? Homerun bases loaded? Are there any glue on tubular tires for fat bikes? I think they roll better than 120 TPI tubeless fat tires. What is the best spandex for fatbikes?
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I use 28's on my road bike, 32-38's on my gravel bike; that's as fat as I wanna get. Why would anyone want more rolling resistance and weight on a road bike? For comfort? That's what chamois are for. This is a stupid idea.
    The rolling resistance of Big Apples may surprise you. It's actually less, not more. I have experienced the difference when freewheeling downhill in a group - I kept having to feather my brakes to keep pace.

The weight is of course higher.

Chamois? I thought they were diapers for incontinent roadies who'd ridden too long on the wrong sort of saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vee-Tire-Apache-Fattyslick.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	1090819
    I wasn't aware of those. May track down a set and do a repeat of my frabjous joy ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    That Cranson is advertised as a road bike.

Crazy rear end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails why no "fat" road bikes?-cranson.jpg  

Rippin da fAt
    The rolling resistance of Big Apples may surprise you. It's actually less, not more. I have experienced the difference when freewheeling downhill in a group - I kept having to feather my brakes to keep pace.

The weight is of course higher.

Chamois? I thought they were diapers for incontinent roadies who'd ridden too long on the wrong sort of saddle.

I wasn't aware of those. May track down a set and do a repeat of my frabjous joy ride.
    Chamois is a sound to put your junk into so you can be sweaty and clammy all ride long!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yes, that's why road racing bikes, over one hundred years of trial and error, intense competition, and evolution, have chosen skinny tires - because they have higher rolling resistance.

This thread is great. I'll point anyone at it when I want to show them the delusional fringe of cycling cranks that clog up message boards. Which, I hope, is never, but it was a fun turn of phrase to write.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I've got skinnier with my road bike.
    Now running 32mm Maxxis Detonators.

God, remembering back to the early 90's when I wouldn't be seen dead on my tri-bike with 20mm, 18mm FTW!

Still have that bike...

mtbr member
    Yes, that's why road racing bikes, over one hundred years of trial and error, intense competition, and evolution, have chosen skinny tires - because they have higher rolling resistance.

This thread is great. I'll point anyone at it when I want to show them the delusional fringe of cycling cranks that clog up message boards. Which, I hope, is never, but it was a fun turn of phrase to write.
    Bit of a sneer session there schnee. Delusional to me is fitting road race tyres when you're not fast enough to be able to maintain a continuous speed in the aerodynamic zone where they are of benefit. If you are doing 20mph averages for hours on end then you're not the average cyclist.

I have not seen any decline in my average speeds since fitting big tyres, and there are comfort benefits from the roads I ride on.

If you're interested in facts rather than dogma, read this Rolling Resistance - Schwalbe Professional Bike Tires. There's plenty other evidence but that's the first one that came up.

FB&H rider
    It's interesting that with one hundred years of trial and error that we've finally arrived!
    Oh wait, evolution continues, sneers aside, and I'll be interested to see how and where bikes go from here.
    Sure, it's laughable that a heavier/bigger fatbike would be seen as equivalent to the road-tested-and-designed road bike, but overall fatbikes themselves are an evolution that is very recent and road bikes aren't done evolving yet.
    Unbunch your panties bro. This is mostly an amusing semantic discussion, but don't for a minute believe that you've got all the answers.
    2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler MBS "Sir Fatsalot"
    2018 Kona Wozo "Adipose Rex"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    ...Sure, it's laughable that a heavier/bigger fatbike would be seen as equivalent to the road-tested-and-designed road bike, but overall fatbikes themselves are an evolution that is very recent and road bikes aren't done evolving yet...
    It's definitely an evolution process.

Rolling resistance of a tyre is really all about compliance. You wouldn't want to ride a long distance on a 2" tyre of a couple of decades ago. The skinny lightweight tyres were much more supple and compliant to the road surface, so were faster. It wasn't a like for like comparison.

Even better were tubulars, and size for size they are usually better, although tubeless is changing that now, and possibly making the tubular redundant.

Anyone who doubts what is being said about the good qualities of a fatter tyre can test it very simply. Do a roll down test. Pick a decent hill fit a fat tyre, roll down and see how far it goes.. Then do it with the skinny tyre. Compare the speeds and the length of the rollout. Try to make sure the tyres are as comparable as possible other than size, ie same tread, same tpi in carcass, etc.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm going to go ride my fatbike on the road to work.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ive started commuting to work (35 miles each way) on my deadwood. Passed a few roadies on a climb the other day and couldn't wipe the smile off of my face

IMG_5051 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr

Somersault Expert
    Mar 2014

Yup, I run BFs on my Pugsly in the summer to pull the kid trailer. He loves going on rides. Just had to fashion a flexible cutting board into a mudguard so he didn't wind up covered in all the crap the Flloyds pick up.

Rippin da fAt
    Give him a machinists face shield and go to town! lol

Kid trailer populated with a kid has to be a real hoot for both of ya! And the training you receive has to make you strong in no time.
    Good times!
    Doctor recommended...

Trail Ninja

I'd be surprised if the wheel lasts until 40 psi before something explodes, with that tire.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I dont know guys but are you on purpose misidentifying fat xc bikes/frames with road geometry frames or what?

Level top tube.
    steep as fuk HTA
    steep as fuk STA
    takes 50-60ies or so
    drop bar made from birth
    shortest fork possible for the tire.

how the fuk is it possible to misenterpret this sh1t? Have you never seen a fukn road bike before?

and why the fuk does no one else want this? is this rock you are living under very heavy??

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I just had shallow drops put onto my 29er stooge

got some slick 2.0 tyres to put on it soon

[/I]

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    built mine for the road ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails why no "fat" road bikes?-myride.jpg  

mtbr member

Even 40 psi sounds terribly high O_o
    ...my "road bike" i.e. a Canyon Inflite Al has 32 mm Panaracer Gravel Kings (tubeless) which I pump up to approximately 40 psi (front) and 45 psi (rear).

mtbr member
    I dont know guys but are you on purpose misidentifying fat xc bikes/frames with road geometry frames or what?

Level top tube.
    steep as fuk HTA
    steep as fuk STA
    takes 50-60ies or so
    drop bar made from birth

how the fuk is it possible to misenterpret this sh1t? Have you never seen a fukn road bike before?

and why the fuk does no one else want this? is this rock you are living under very heavy??
    Ya know this is the fat bike forum, right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    This FB link has pics of one with TT bars.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...5049&source=48
    Not something I would do but it makes sense for someone wanting to put in the miles.
    Of course being different is likely a big reason why this was done.

The concept of cyclocross bikes was strange at first, but its here to stay so I wouldn't be surprised if a true fat 4" road bike comes to market.
    Totem KDS-D fatbike, Brompton M2L-X Ti, 6kg Dahon Dove, 1998 GT Forte Ti road bike

mtbr member

Level top tube.
    steep as fuk HTA
    steep as fuk STA
    takes 50-60ies or so
    drop bar made from birth

I see your point. It seems like all "road" bikes that can fit fatter tires are being classified as cyclocross or touring bikes.

When I think of "fat tire road bike", the Surly Long Haul Trucker is the first bike I think of. The 700c version has been said to take up to a 47mm tire where the 26" version of the bike has been shown to take a set of 2.35" Big Apples, per these forums.
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly ECR

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Regarding rolling resistance vs tire size:
    Schwalbe claims that the 2.35'' Big One has the lowest rolling resistance of their entire lineup (including TT models).
    Schwalbe Big One LiteSkin Rolling Resistance Review

I have these on my commuter bike, and they measure more than 2.4'' and actually look way bigger than that due to the small knobs.

I am pestering Scwalbe on a regular basis, trying to have them make a 4.0'' or 4.5'' version of the same tire, as that would be awesome for gravel and pavement.

Rippin da fAt

Level top tube.
    steep as fuk HTA
    steep as fuk STA
    takes 50-60ies or so
    drop bar made from birth

Fatbikers i in a fatbike forum that ride fatbikes where skinny tire bikes with crap offroad geometry are irrelevant?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yep... I ride my Fat Bike on the road... It's a Night Train.... Love it, and what a better workout!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Upset

You just don't get it. Noone wants it because it would be horrible offroad (and this IS a website dedicated to off-road riding, hence the MTB in MTBR).

Having ridden roadbikes offroad (I even did it with a tt-bar), I assure you the geometry you think you want rides terribly.
    Not that you'd ever actually get the geometry you want because of chainring clearance issues trying to run a 39/53 around a 60mm tire, never mind toe overlap and chainstay lengths required. 50-60mm tires aren't anywhere close to fatbike tires anyways.

You want one, go build one!
    Be a rebel, go fit 10 pounds of incompatible design parameters in a 5 pound frame.
    Then ride it.

You want to plead complete ignorance to all the design considerations, that the rest of the world understands, just so you can get your troll game on?? Really?

When will MTBR give us the ability to block entire threads instead of members?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassa89 View Post
    I see your point. It seems like all "road" bikes that can fit fatter tires are being classified as cyclocross or touring bikes.

When I think of "fat tire road bike", the Surly Long Haul Trucker is the first bike I think of. The 700c version has been said to take up to a 47mm tire where the 26" version of the bike has been shown to take a set of 2.35" Big Apples, per these forums.
    The only problem is the LHT is a touring bike in handling, geometry, and build. It's heavy as hell, has a long ponderous wheel base, and handles better with 50 pounds of gear on it than it does with just a rider.

Something like a 'racing gravel bike' is closer, but generally has more relaxed angles and slightly more stable steering that make them more forgiving in rough balance situations.

--

/rant mode on

The reason that road bikes don't have fat tires, and touring/gravel bikes do - the single fact the OP cannot get through his head - is that if you need fatter tires to handle rougher surfaces, those fatter tires are not enough to give you the best handling. Fatter tires pair well with more relaxed angles, slightly more forgiving steering, and slightly longer wheel bases.

All those things work as a system, and if you don't tweak all three, then you generally don't even get the benefit of one alone - the other parts in the system override the change in one. So, fat tires on a track bike just plain suck - the angles and steering try to work faster than all that rubber on the road can handle, and you get a lot of odd handling.

So, when you make a road bike with fatter tires, you tweak other things slightly - and guess what, those things, when done as a system, give you - TA DAAA - a gravel bike!

PS - I graduated Yamaguchi school of frame building. I built myself a 'fat tired road bike', which can take up to 45c tires (or 40c + fenders) and does extremely well in a pace line. Guess what? The geometry is identical to most current cross bikes.

/thread

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    look up monstercross. I ride a Soma Double Cross for my comfort commuter/light trail bike. I plan on getting a Soma Wolverine next. This might be the bike you are looking for.

mtbr member
    The fat-bike phenom is clearly drawing out feelings of inadequacy in those with less endowed tires. My tires are so big I gave them a "Brazilian".

why no "fat" road bikes?-image.jpeg

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    look up monstercross. I ride a Soma Double Cross for my comfort commuter/light trail bike. I plan on getting a Soma Wolverine next. This might be the bike you are looking for.
    I have a "monster road" (the orange 26er in the first page). Its really comfortable, has enormous grip when braking and turning (almost scary). I also have a lynskey Cooper cx ti bike. And its a lot more roady than the raped 26er mtb. But it only takes like a 38-40 or so out back. It would have been cool if it could swallow like a 60 or so instead. And to be honest it would'nt have been that hard for them at the factory to make such a tire fit if they wanted.

Massaging the stays a bit and moving to a 73mm bb-shell. done!

But it doesn't exist. and even if they massaged the cooper cx a bit its still not really a road bike, its a cx bike with cx geo and angles, and its not even a race cx frame, its more a commuter/all round, "cx-ish" frame.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    50-60mm tires aren't anywhere close to fatbike tires anyways.
    a regular mtb tire is like 50-65mm or so, and a fat bike is about 100% wider. A regular road bike tire is 22-28mm so a 50-60 on a road bike is definitely fat for that type of bike!

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Level top tube.
    steep as fuk HTA
    steep as fuk STA
    takes 50-60ies or so
    drop bar made from birth

Decaf anyone? Look up monster cross. There are so many permutations of bikes out there. Just pick one and pedal.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Decaf anyone? Look up monster cross. There are so many permutations of bikes out there. Just pick one and pedal.
    If you look up the main MTBR monster cross thread, you will find the opposite of decaf. Very caffeinated.

Really not sure why. The same thing happened to electronic music when I was a young boy, and now there too many subgenres to count. You could play mad libs with it, THAT'S NOT A _______(noun), *THIS* IS A ______(similar noun), YOU ______(pejorative).

Ride Everything
    The only problem is the LHT is a touring bike in handling, geometry, and build. It's heavy as hell, has a long ponderous wheel base, and handles better with 50 pounds of gear on it than it does with just a rider.

Something like a 'racing gravel bike' is closer, but generally has more relaxed angles and slightly more stable steering that make them more forgiving in rough balance situations.

--

/rant mode on

The reason that road bikes don't have fat tires, and touring/gravel bikes do - the single fact the OP cannot get through his head - is that if you need fatter tires to handle rougher surfaces, those fatter tires are not enough to give you the best handling. Fatter tires pair well with more relaxed angles, slightly more forgiving steering, and slightly longer wheel bases.

All those things work as a system, and if you don't tweak all three, then you generally don't even get the benefit of one alone - the other parts in the system override the change in one. So, fat tires on a track bike just plain suck - the angles and steering try to work faster than all that rubber on the road can handle, and you get a lot of odd handling.

So, when you make a road bike with fatter tires, you tweak other things slightly - and guess what, those things, when done as a system, give you - TA DAAA - a gravel bike!

PS - I graduated Yamaguchi school of frame building. I built myself a 'fat tired road bike', which can take up to 45c tires (or 40c + fenders) and does extremely well in a pace line. Guess what? The geometry is identical to most current cross bikes.

/thread
    Jeff Jones designs his bikes from the ground up to handle well with fat/ter tires. While I'm not sure if the 2.35" slicks push my Jones diamond frame into road bike category, but it sure handles nicely at high and low speeds.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

sluice box
    a regular mtb tire is like 50-65mm or so, and a fat bike is about 100% wider. A regular road bike tire is 22-28mm so a 50-60 on a road bike is definitely fat for that type of bike!
    You know this section of the forum is for bikes with 80-118mm tire widths right? 3.7-5.05 in American units.
    ptarmigan hardcore

sluice box
    Some popcorn for Drew Diller and EDM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjxNnqTcHhg
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member

Level top tube.
    steep as fuk HTA
    steep as fuk STA
    takes 50-60ies or so
    drop bar made from birth

Sounds to me like you have answered your own inquiry and are further dead set on finding a bike that doesn't currently exist. Throw down your wallet, your interests, and get busy! Hell you might even find a niche' market to plunk down their cash on a "road" bike as you describe.

"If you build it, he will come!" -Field of Dreams

Human Test Subject

Level top tube.
    steep as fuk HTA
    steep as fuk STA
    takes 50-60ies or so
    drop bar made from birth

What a terrible post.

Also if you use road bike geometry but put fat tires on you'll have so much toe overlap the bike wont be ridable.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Hmm, your list there does not include rim brakes. But it should

Since it doesn't, this is not QUITE the 73/73 angles I prefer, but damn nice:

VO Piolet Frameset

I kinda think you're living under a heavy rock. But thats cool, so am I. I have a mid-fat road bike that fits up to about 45s with geometry based on my '87 lemond. Got the angles right and it rides great but to fit the big tires it ended up with a longer fork and ~425 minimum chainstay. Could have maybe gotten it a little shorter if I wasn't dead set on a 68mm BB, but as you can see its pretty tight. It required some interesting tubing selections too - can't imagine building something like this as a production frame would be economically viable. Some days I wish it was disc brake so I could try some monster 650b tires but most days I'm smarter than that.

I guess it doesn't ride as well as a mountain bike off road, but well enough for me. Like someone else said, if you want one make it happen. I think 650b rims would help your potential toe overlap issues tremendously.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    I love my fat bike and ride it on the road occasionally. I have Floyds for it which I use much of the summer and they are fast rolling for sure. That still doesn't bring it very close to a good "road" bike. The Cannondale Slate on the other hand is an awesome "fat" road bike. I use it on fast group rides and never feel at a disadvantage because of the bike. 650B with 42mm slicks tubeless is awesome. A little more noise from the contact with the road, and a little heavier, but otherwise feels just like any other high quality road bike. That is until the road turns to crap, going over RR tracks, or going off road onto gravel or dirt where it out shines a road bike immensely. Cannondale markets it as an "all road bike" and I would agree with that. I believe it will take 45mm tires but probably not much more. Whether the Lefty is really necessary is a question you can decide for yourself but I'm a big fan and this one works amazingly well in this application.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails why no "fat" road bikes?-dscn3051.jpg  

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    you'll have so much toe overlap the bike wont be ridable.

Silly man, just add 8 cm of TT to the design and reverse the stem so it points back at you to make up for the change!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Those are NOT fat road bikes so do not belong in this thread.

Fat road bikes must have a non-sloping top tube, very specific width tires, drop bars... oh wait. I'm talking about monstercross. I'll go back over there to kvitch.

is buachail foighneach me

Level top tube.
    steep as fuk HTA
    steep as fuk STA
    takes 50-60ies or so
    drop bar made from birth

So, you're saying this doesn't count?

mtbr member

Level top tube.
    steep as fuk HTA
    steep as fuk STA
    takes 50-60ies or so
    drop bar made from birth

Your attitude is fantastic.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    So, you're saying this doesn't count?

Now were talking! Definitely counts.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    Thank you. I feel fantastic too.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    Fanatic?

mtbr member
    I find it pathetic that there are no hard riders to be found in the age of tire comfort. Heck, even the beach I ride on was declared a state highway a hundred years ago. One of the first vehicles into our county by way of a road...was a bike over a logging skid road. The riders below would laugh at our fat/gravel/monster cross bikes and the inane trolling over what is/isn't. The evolution of "not pavement" bikes could be a indication of the decline of "Good Roads" (A common '30's political catch phrase). I like the rise of multi-terrain bikes though our perception of what roads are is changing. Paving a poor section of a TDF route (or major portions of) really does the history a disservice.

I can't wait for the rise of crushed limestone bikes, hard packed loam bikes, paver bikes, AstroTurf bikes, chip seal bikes, shagilicious bikes, fall wet leaf bikes, late winter pine needle bikes, broken glass bikes, and personal favorite, jellyfish bikes. I'm so tired of riding through dead jellyfish, there must be a bike for that.

why no "fat" road bikes?-image.jpeg.
    why no "fat" road bikes?-image.jpeg
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 2245
Size:  28.4 KB
Views: 2280
Size:  54.3 KB
Views: 2295
Size:  34.9 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmUT View Post
    Those are NOT fat road bikes so do not belong in this thread.

Fat road bikes must have a non-sloping top tube, very specific width tires, drop bars... oh wait. I'm talking about monstercross. I'll go back over there to kvitch.
    Don't worry mate. This is the fat forum, we make the rules.

If we listened to the "rules" fatbikes wouldn't exist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    Jeff Jones designs his bikes from the ground up to handle well with fat/ter tires. While I'm not sure if the 2.35" slicks push my Jones diamond frame into road bike category, but it sure handles nicely at high and low speeds.
    Yep, your mountain bike handles exactly like a road racing bike. Sure.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    What a terrible post.

Also if you use road bike geometry but put fat tires on you'll have so much toe overlap the bike wont be ridable.
    I was actually thinking about this. Usiung my lunskey in stock form as basis. with 30mm tires.

Maybe make the top tube 15mm longer. and the rake 20mm longer, and the stem as short as possible (I'm already running a 50 and a 35 on my bikes). and since the fork now gets longer to clear a bigger tire mechanical trail will be comparable-ish. there is some leeway here without getting massive toe overlap. this is for a 60mm tire.

for a "real" fat tire then I have no idea. but it would be completely different I guess.

Specialized sucks ass.

Ride Everything
    Yep, your mountain bike handles exactly like a road racing bike. Sure.
    Never claimed that it did.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

sluice box
    This may be what your looking for? Fork by Crust Bikes. Drops bars not bombs.
    why no "fat" road bikes?-crust-bikes.jpg
    ptarmigan hardcore

~ B A D A S S ~
    monster
    road
    M0THERFUKKERS

Do you speak it?

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post

Name:	Crust Bikes.jpg 
Views:	749 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	1091722
    hahah yeah thats a bas ass ride.

but i think there is one thing that almost no one seems to have picked up with this thread: I actually want a road bike for riding on the road. not in the dirt. I want slicks and grip. and beefy tires and road geo. a fatty road? or maybe a roadyfatter? or whatever.

But i want it!!!! I fuking want it!

Specialized sucks ass.

sluice box
    monster
    road
    M0THERFUKKERS

Do you speak it?
    Please post pictures of yourself in Spandex. We are all curious on your riding kit.

And have you tried to send a PM to TommySea. He is in Florida and is making some of the worlds fastest fat bikes.
    ptarmigan hardcore

~ B A D A S S ~
    should i shave my legs before or after the photo shoot you think? also what energy gels are best suited for my balls when on epo?

Specialized sucks ass.

sluice box
    should i shave my legs before or after the photo shoot you think? also what energy gels are best suited for my balls when on epo?
    No full fur. (This is for bOb) and whale fat.

You should really try to reach out to TommySea. He does not have the most time allotted for being on the internet but he was popular here with his fast and balanced fatbike designs.
    ptarmigan hardcore

~ B A D A S S ~
    ok what about this? lets just fuking drop 700c/622 all together? why not go 26;er up front and just fuking stay with it? no toe overlap then.
    I knowe since I have a drop bar 26er. with fenders.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    No full fur. (This is for bOb) and whale fat.
    xpand this so I understand while drunk

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    whale fat you say. lucky me! I live in one of the only countries left that hunt (or is it "fish") whale. I hAve declined whale burgers several times!

Specialized sucks ass.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010

Name:	Crust Bikes.jpg 
Views:	749 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	1091722
    That is pretty cool.

I found myself putting one hand up over half the bike, closing one eye, and then switching sides. Eeeee hee hee heee heee wheeeeee!

For the lazy: https://www.crustbikes.com/

sluice box
    ok what about this? lets just fuking drop 700c/622 all together? why not go 26;er up front and just fuking stay with it? no toe overlap then.
    I knowe since I have a drop bar 26er. with fenders.
    Looks like Trek is smoking what you are packing.

https://fat-bike.com/2016/09/weekly-dose-of-fat-9-2-16/
    why no "fat" road bikes?-fat-bike-road.jpg
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Been looking around for a few days now, trying to decide how to introduce myself to the forum and I believe I've found the ideal thread to do so...
    I just got a fatty and, fwiw, I intend to ride it on road - and have been - for the most part, since it will be used as my commute vehicle.
    I'm still using the Chaoyang that came with the bike, but I've already ordered the Origin8 Supercell, as the Chaoyang will go really fast if I keep riding as much as I am - I haven't had so much fun in years!
    I did look at the Floyd's, but I've been riding motorcycles since forever and I didn't really like/trust? the thread (I personally see it as possibly prone to aquaplaning)...
    I will possibly leave a review for the Supercell, since there is only one I could find online, on Amazon.

A word to the manufacturers:

I also tried to find more road tires for fattys, but there was only two more, I believe, one being completely slick (which should be awesome in wet tarmac ) and one other with little circles as thread... There may not be many of us who like to ride on the road, but we are here and we do want more choice - there are plenty in 20's and 24's, why not in 26's for us adults?!?

Rippin da fAt
    Vee is releasing a new slick 4.fat. They currently offer the Speedster as well.

Welcome to the fray Flugelbinder.

Fatbikes are for riding where you please! Kinda like driving a Jeep on a highway...
    Doctor recommended...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast