Why all the 1 1/8 head-tubes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Why all the 1 1/8 head-tubes?

I'm just wondering why so many of the Fat Bike manufacturers are still running 1 1/8" head tubes (and while I'm at it why so many 27.2 posts)?

It doesn't make sense to me, with many of the new standards I'd be able to fine tune the head tube angle, plus I'd trust a fork more with a tapered steerer with the extra length of the fat bike forks.

mtbr member
    Anyone ever had a fatbike 1 1/8" fork fail?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

aka bOb
    Check out the the new Fatbacks! 2 out of the 3 fat bikes I have had or have use a 30.9 seatpost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Anyone ever had a fatbike 1 1/8" fork fail?
    Actually a local here folded a surly fork last season, but it was below the steerer. The tapered steerers do make forks feel stiffer.
    More than the strength I'd like to be able to slacken the HT a bit.

giddy up!
    Funny.......I keep wishing manufacturers would stay with 27.2 and 1 1/8th......

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Check out the the new Fatbacks! 2 out of the 3 fat bikes I have had or have use a 30.9 seatpost.
    I've been looking at the 9Zero7's they also run a 30.9, which is great, now the headtubes...

I guess I'd like the bike to be more 'future proof'. I'm seeing local dirt jump kids starting to get a bit older and experimenting with fat bikes, they are playing with them in a different way than just using them to ride into the back country, they are riding them down DH trails etc and currently many fat bikes are a weird mix of old school/new school.

It is good to see newer companies like Twenty2 running the 44 HT standard, but their just doing Ti so far - out of the price range my wife would o.k.

rth009
    May 2010
    what's wrong with 27.2? All 3 of my bikes have 27.2 and that makes my near-future thudbuster purchase even better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey View Post

B
    I remember people saying the same about the jump from 1" to 1 1/8". I was one of them, but then started enjoying the increased strength and benefits from going larger, like tires bigger than 1.95's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    what's wrong with 27.2? All 3 of my bikes have 27.2 and that makes my near-future thudbuster purchase even better.
    I'm a big guy, and haven't bent a post since switching to larger diameter posts in 1993. You can still run a 27.2 in a 30.9 post with shims but can't go vice versa, and most of the travel adjustable posts are 30.9.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    I've been looking at the 9Zero7's they also run a 30.9, which is great, now the headtubes...

I guess I'd like the bike to be more 'future proof'. I'm seeing local dirt jump kids starting to get a bit older and experimenting with fat bikes, they are playing with them in a different way than just using them to ride into the back country, they are riding them down DH trails etc and currently many fat bikes are a weird mix of old school/new school.

It is good to see newer companies like Twenty2 running the 44 HT standard, but their just doing Ti so far - out of the price range my wife would o.k.
    Fatback | Fatback Blog

Read through this. You might see tapered ht.

mtbr member
    Now that's what I want to see! Very cool, thanks!

aka bOb

Listen!

Now that's what I want to see! Very cool, thanks!
    Mine should be here in the next week or two

All fat, all the time.
    I thought I read somewhere the 2012 9zero7's could also be ordered with a tapered head tube.

Some of these "improvements" every year actually help, but alot are just help sell new product. I'm tired of thing being incompatible with each other because there are a bazillion different standards. lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post

Some of these "improvements" every year actually help, but alot are just help sell new product. I'm tired of thing being incompatible with each other because there are a bazillion different standards. lol.
    Thats for sure
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

Home of the Gravedigger
    When my Northpaw shows up next month it will have a 1.5" head tube.....but I'm sticking with 27.2 seatposts. Lightweight and easy to find.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I'm just wondering why so many of the Fat Bike manufacturers are still running 1 1/8" head tubes (and while I'm at it why so many 27.2 posts)?

It doesn't make sense to me, with many of the new standards I'd be able to fine tune the head tube angle, plus I'd trust a fork more with a tapered steerer with the extra length of the fat bike forks.
    Ever seen a rigid steel fork with a tapered steer tube?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

The Dog.
    I'm all about tapered steerer's, giant bottom brackets, and huge downtubes on road bikes, but do you really think you'll feel that extra stiffness through a 4 inch tire at 5 psi? I have trouble feeling the difference between high-zootin' carbon hardtails and my beefy aluminum one, mainly because I can feel the tire sidewalls flexing. And that's on a normal MTB.

With regards to wanting a thicker seatpost...why? It appears that the industry is headed back towards thinner ones for more flex and a better ride. I have the same thomson post on my MTB and my pugsley, but my MTB is 30.9. I much prefer the post on the surly.

mtbr member
    When you double the tube diameter, stiffness is increased by a factor of 4, so yes more stifness. However as fatbikes are build from serious wallthickness material, i do not think stifness is an issue. When people will start building lightweight fatbikes, it will start making sence, but for now....?

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey View Post

B
    Agreed...

27.2mm posts for ride quality and 1 1/8" h/s because it's all we need.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Ever seen a rigid steel fork with a tapered steer tube?
    Nope, but now that Fatback is doing a tapered carbon rigid fork I've seen one of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bik-ing View Post
    When you double the tube diameter, stiffness is increased by a factor of 4, so yes more stifness. However as fatbikes are build from serious wallthickness material, i do not think stifness is an issue. When people will start building lightweight fatbikes, it will start making sence, but for now....?
    Fair enough, but my main interest is really being able to fine tune the head tube angle. Where I live we can do a nice long gradual climb up sled tracks and then bomb down some steepish trails, personally I'd like slacker steering than what I've tried on fat bikes so far. Also the ability to use an easily purchased and available dropper post would be handy.
    Going with larger standards in no way says you can no longer use smaller diameter 27.2 posts or 1 1/8 steerers, they just give you more options if you personally want to switch things up and fine tune your ride for where you are using the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkaber View Post
    When my Northpaw shows up next month it will have a 1.5" head tube.....but I'm sticking with 27.2 seatposts. Lightweight and easy to find.
    first detail on my custom frame enquiry was a 1.5" headtube. Loads of options, !.1/8" steerer (with varible angle headset), 1.5" steerer, and tapered steerer.
    A big boy did it, and ran away.
    62*28'

Sup
    I bought a fat back 135 mm offset frame so I have the option to run a 468 mm fork if I want it slacker
    If ON*ONE had there bike out I would have most likely went for that
    I too like options

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

aka bOb
    I ride a smaller frame but have long legs and need to run seatposts up near the max, I have bent a 27.2 post and I went about 165# at the time.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Stay tuned for other metal......

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Fatback's running a 44mm HT on their Ti frameset and full tapered HT on their US Alum frameset for 2012. 31.6mm seatpost on the Ti, 30.9 on the Alum. Seems pretty standard to me. Both seem to have very slack geo for a fatbike too, something like 69*? An angleset can be used in both.

Fatback
    I decided to go oversized with the headtube on the Fatbacks for a couple reasons. One was to benefit from the lateral stiffness of the front end. The other to allow head tube angle changes.
    As for seat post size, we started with 27.2 on the original ti Fatbacks, then went with 31.6 along with a few other mods to stiffen the bb area. I'm in full agreement of the compliance of the 27.2 post, but frame stiffness on ti bikes is better with an oversized seat tube. I did the aluminum bikes 31.6 for consistency. The new US aluminum builder uses seat tubes that work best with 30.9 posts. Simple as that. There are sleeves for 27.2 posts that work fine if you have one you like such as the Moots layback, which is about as nice as it gets.
    I've been testing the new Niner carbon post, and it is very close in compliance. Highly recommended.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thirsty, just a quick question - is a layback post the same as a setback post? Or more importantly, does it yield the same benefits? I see both terms interchanged but can remember the layback posts of yesteryear like Titec's Hellbent and it seems like the current crop yield offsets of 16mm (Thompson) to 25mm (Truvativ offset). Just placed a Truvativ 25mm setback on my fat bike and with the seat slammed to the rearmost position it has placed me in a more comfortable riding position than ever before.