Who's Running a Dropper Post?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Who's Running a Dropper Post?

Thinking of getting a dropper for my boris, anyone else using one?

Looking at either the tmars or a x fusion hilo in the 27.2mm size, and using a 30.4 shim. Wish that I could get a used 27.2 mm gravity dropper under $140 (if anyone has one and would sell it for that pm me)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I use a Reverb on my NTB.... wouldn't ride it any other way.

DHMTBR.com
    I have droppers on all my MTB and Fat bikes!

I have a Reverb Stealth on my fat because of the internal routing, but actually prefer the Fox D.O.S.S. - especially when yearly cold out!

Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Yup, follow me on Google+
    https://plus.google.com/+ChrisSgaraglino
    Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Visit me at:
    My Life on Two Wheels

mtbr member
    I run ks lev posts. However my next one will probably be a 9point8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Fox DOSS on my bike and my wife's bike. I've had mine over a year and it's been totally reliable.

I just installed one for my wife and she loves it. It really helps when you need to get started when sunken in snow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    As much as people like the clean look of internally routed dropper cables, if you are riding in cold temps, the cable will freeze and it's nice to be able to get to the release lever under the seat. Hydraulic posts like the Reverb are a great summer post, but do not function well in the cold.

mtbr member
    My seatpost requires a 30.4.... do you think I could sand down a 30.9 to make it work? There's much more 30.9 options out there. Anyone with a used 27.2 dropperpost that wants to sell it pm me.

Only problem I see is making sure the post stays round. It's only .5mm, but then again it may be a horrible idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by traditiionalist View Post
    My seatpost requires a 30.4.... do you think I could sand down a 30.9 to make it work? There's much more 30.9 options out there. Anyone with a used 27.2 dropperpost that wants to sell it pm me.

Only problem I see is making sure the post stays round. It's only .5mm, but then again it may be a horrible idea.
    That sounds like a bad idea IMO. Maybe buy a smaller diameter dropper and use a "beer can" spacer. It will limit your options but better that than ruining an expensive dropper potentially!

mtbr member
    I wouldn't want to sand down a dropper post nearly 0.5mm. That's a lot of material, and it would void the warranty.

I've made a seat tube a larger diameter by using a honing tool in the past but this was on a pretty stout steel frame from the 80's and it was a small amount of material (26.7 to 26.8mm). I wouldn't recommend that method for something like this.

I think your best bet is to pick a 27.2 dropper and shim it up to 30.4 using something like this: Problem Solvers

All fat, all the time.
    I've used a Giant contact, RS reverb, and currently a KS lev integra on my fatty. So far the KS has been the best, will see how it does long-term.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LO4U2C View Post
    As much as people like the clean look of internally routed dropper cables, if you are riding in cold temps, the cable will freeze and it's nice to be able to get to the release lever under the seat. Hydraulic posts like the Reverb are a great summer post, but do not function well in the cold.
    Cold weather concern was the conclusion of my LBS, and my new Crestone was outfitted with a KS Lev. I like the idea of being able to drop the seat when cornering and descending get slick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
    I wouldn't want to sand down a dropper post nearly 0.5mm. That's a lot of material, and it would void the warranty.

I've made a seat tube a larger diameter by using a honing tool in the past but this was on a pretty stout steel frame from the 80's and it was a small amount of material (26.7 to 26.8mm). I wouldn't recommend that method for something like this.

I think your best bet is to pick a 27.2 dropper and shim it up to 30.4 using something like this: Problem Solvers
    That's what I thought.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I never had a dropper on any of my bikes. Thought for the weight and expense it would not be worth it. Built up my BS and thought what the he11 for as must money I was spending I would try it.
    Totally changed the way I ride definitely worth it.

mtbr member
    I have a reverb on my FS fat bike, but just a standard post on my HT fatty. I use the dropped a good amount on the FS fatty, but really haven't wanted one on the HT. Probably because if I am going to a trail that I will want a dropper, I will want FS also

since 4/10/2009
    I have a Thomson Covert.

It hasn't been terribly cold this year, but I've had a couple of rides below freezing this year.

It has still functioned reliably in those conditions, so I have no idea what the concern is over stealth routing freezing. I've never had a derailleur cable freeze, or brake cables. I HAVE had external mechanical bits freeze. Derailleurs themselves, for sure. Not sure why a stealth routed dropper would be prone to freezing up being somewhat protected inside the frame.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    ...I have no idea what the concern is over stealth routing freezing. I've never had a derailleur cable freeze, or brake cables. I HAVE had external mechanical bits freeze. Derailleurs themselves, for sure. Not sure why a stealth routed dropper would be prone to freezing up being somewhat protected inside the frame.
    I agree with Nate. Has not been a problem in my experience either.

Similar thread only a couple weeks old here: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/got...ty-998287.html

Rocking on a Rocky
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    I'm interested in this as well. After getting spoiled with a dropper on my fs I find myself having trouble doing simple things in my fatbike with the post up!

What's been somewhat reliable in cold, of as least be able to manually lift and lock into place if need be.

The local shop has the giant posts for a good price, anyone have any expearance with them?

mtbr member
    Okay, I've narrowed it down to either a $90 tmars seatpost or a $170 x fusion hilo(or a used gravity dropper, but no one seams to have a used 27.2). Which is better? Both have pros and cons in the reviews.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Run a KS LEV on the regular bike and a LEV DX on the fatty. Had an issue in the "great" polar vortex while in Indiana with it creeping down. Got it turned in less than a week as a warranty and it was fine after that. I'm interested in the 9point8 posts. Seems solid. Ridden a Specialized Command Post. The 3 fixed positions weren't for me. More times I'd drop it only to have it pop up and thump me in the plums because I'd just missed the detent. Ridden a Reverb too. It was OK. It's just another thing to bleed. I like the idea of a mechanically activated post with hydraulic/air activation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm running the KS Lev from my trail bike on my Mukluk Ti. It hasn't been super cold yet but it has performed well on the few rids I did. I also have a Gravity Dropper Classic with the 1", 3" drop in 27.2". I'm ordering a longer inner shaft for it as it's about 1" too short for my Mukluk. Ugly as hell but dead simple to rebuild and works reliably in all conditions so I'll likely put that back on once I get the part.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have a specialized command post on my full suspension bike and love it. I like that it has fast actuation which is nice when coming down a technical decline or roller with more technical things after it, I don't want to have to wait for the seat to come back up. I just want it there.

The KS Lev has caught my attention in youtube videos but the return action seems really slow compared to the command post so I've been hesitant to try it. Can anyone that has one comment on this? Can the return speed be set by air pressure or a setting?

I want to eventually get a dropper for my sturgis, but just can't bring myself to drop $275 on the command post yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'm running the Specialized Command Post on my Fatboy. Brought it home from the shop that way and have no regrets. Great for the technical stuff in the summer and for getting started when necessary in deeper snow. I also like that it snaps into full extension quickly (even when cold), and that it has two drop positions.
    MiTT
    Denver Metro (Front Range), Colorado

'17 Otso Voytek (B+ & Fat)
    '00 Yeti ARC
    '12 Novara Buzz

mtbr member
    I have 2 Reverbs and 1 Gravity Dropper on my bikes. The Reverb is my favorite for summer and the Gravity Dropper is the best for winter. The reverb slows down and sometimes sticks and wont move at all.

Get a Gravity Dropper.

mtbr member

Who's Running a Dropper Post?

Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    I have 2 Reverbs and 1 Gravity Dropper on my bikes. The Reverb is my favorite for summer and the Gravity Dropper is the best for winter. The reverb slows down and sometimes sticks and wont move at all.

Get a Gravity Dropper.
    Trying to find a used one under $140 (being 17, my budget is kind of tight)

Sent from my iPad

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I use a reverb.

There were some on sale I think they were Fox, but I don't know if they are still available, I seem to recall the sale ended...So I'm actually no help, sorry ...back under my rock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefariousd View Post
    I use a reverb.

There were some on sale I think they were Fox, but I don't know if they are still available, I seem to recall the sale ended...So I'm actually no help, sorry ...back under my rock
    They were $162 on amazon, still are but I need a 27.2mm. I posted a WTB ad on pinkbike and the Facebook group fat bike traders. I'll see what they come up with.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Has anybody ever tried making an onboard pump out of an old dropper post?
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Update: got a gravity dropper. Found a 4" classic, and picked it up in the end for $146.50 with shipping included. Yes there were probably better deals at times on these, but this one is practically new. I've taken it on 3 rides, and wow, I never thought I would have liked one of these as much as I did. I always thought that they were just $200 I could save by hopping off and lowering the seat.

I rode it in a snow storm, the one that hit NY recently. Performed flawlessly. Shim didn't arrive in time so I got out some scrap aluminum and made a ghetto one that worked for the short time being. Shim will be here today.

Overall, if you ride these bikes hard, slap a dropper on it. I ride the same rocky, root covered technical trails around the east (some pretty rough terrain) and throw this bike around like my specialized enduro.

Who's Running a Dropper Post?-uploadfromtaptalk1453809941818.jpg

Wish I had it for this, I ended up hitting the back of the seat at the bottom, direct impact with the crown jewels......