mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Who is riding Fat all year? Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?

I'm curious on who is riding a Fat bike year round as their primary or only ride. Are you staying full fat (4" or bigger), running 29+ or a second wheel set in non snow conditions? Rigid?

I bought a Tallboy full squish last year and then a Canyon Dude rigid Fat (4" tires) over the winter and absolutely loving it. I've ridden the Tallboy only once or twice since, added a Mastodon to the Dude, making it even more fun. Even with the added weight, the bike is a blast.

I'm not racing or doing all day rides, and not sure I really need the full suspension anymore. The novelty hasn't worn off yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-dude.jpg  

2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike

mtbr member
    I have been Fat only for over 4 years now, had different wheelsets for it, but have settled on 4.8's for all year. Like the 29er plus for a bit but not enough cush with all the roots and rocks in my area.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Use both, rigid in the winter and suspended the rest of the year. For tires use Bud/Lou 4.8 for winter and 4.0 Maxxis FBF/FBR the rest of the year on 80mm wheels.

Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-27788517_10155994063880502_2623783710785115759_o.jpg
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 03-19-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Snow Dog
    I ride full rigid, 29+ all year, all terrain, all my life.

2015 Surly Krampus!!
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Music & Bikes
    All year , rigid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-img_1821.jpg  

Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-img_1469-1-.jpg  

"There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Last warm season I rode over 2000 miles full rigid on fat 4.7 tires, including all-day and multi-day riding over various terrain, mostly dirt. Was completely ok and had plenty of fun. On pavement though you will feel a lot of drag, I generally steer clear from pavement on my fatbike.

mtbr member
    Fat all year 4" tires. Sometime FS fat, sometimes rigid fat. For the trails I ride now, its mostly rigid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    2014 Mukluk Ti. I use it in winter with 4.8's and then switch to 3.8's for summer use (bikepacking, packrafting, riding with my kids) I run a Bluto and my dropper year round. I have a full suspension Intense Tracer as my principal summer bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    Last warm season I rode over 2000 miles full rigid on fat 4.7 tires, including all-day and multi-day riding over various terrain, mostly dirt. Was completely ok and had plenty of fun. On pavement though you will feel a lot of drag, I generally steer clear from pavement on my fatbike.
    I use my fat bike on the road a decent amount. I just pump up the tires to 15 psi. JJ will will really well at that pressure

Spandex Ninja
    Me. Rigid steel fatty with 4.8s year round for most anything off-road. No need for another trail bike and no problem trail riding with friends. I will likely get a 29+ wheelset at some point, though.

I also have a gravel bike for road, paths, and fire roads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Farley with front sus all year. 4" summer, bigger studded tires for winter.

Professional Crastinator
    My Sturgis is mix and match: FAT (Bud 4.8/Lou 4.8 - Winter; JJ 4.0/FastTrak 4.0 - 3-season), 29+ (Chronicle - 3-season), Bluto, Popeye (rigid) - but it's not my go-to bike. It's what I ride instead of hiking, or if I'm in flip-flops. Great rock-crawler, mud-bogger, sand digger...

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    9Zero7 Whiteout with 100mm travel Bluto: Winter/snow - Studded D5's, tubeless on 100mm 9Zero7 carbon rims, short riser stem; non-Winter/dirt - 29x3, tubeless, Easton ARC 45mm rims, long non-riser stem. Sold my FS Cannondale Scalpel after riding 29x3 on my Whiteout.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    5 years owner here in san diego.. sold my full suspension after a year of owning my '13 fattie.. went from stock spesh fork to bluto, and oem spesh tires to dillinger 5 then surly bud and lou and never considered anything else.. i like my tires wide.

The White Jeff W
    2015 Trek Farley. Rigid fork with 26x4 in winter, suspension fork with 27.5x2.8 in summer.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Full suspension Bucksaw on 4.0 tires for any trail with bumps, rigid Mukluk on Bud/Lou for deep snow and sand. I am hoping to put a Bluto on the Mukluk soon though - foot prints in the sand beat up my wrists.

aka bOb
    For the life of me I can't see any advantages at least for myself to riding only fat all year (well except maybe lighter on the wallet).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Rigid year 'round. Tires are 4" in the summer, 4.8" winter. I'm old and slow so what's a little more rolling resistance. Hopefully by the time my knees give out they'll have replacements with built-in levels of adjustable travel.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I agree with bdundee. I ride fat a lot, but not all the time. I have a Fatboy with bluto, single speed Pugsley, and a fully 29er. I like all 3 of my MTN bikes. Iíll pick one depending on the conditions or just to mix it up. There does tend to be a honeymoon period - whatever is newer gets more love.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Me. My Watchman with the studded Wazia's on 90mm's for the winter. Just set up some carbon rim 68mm's tubeless with JJ's for the summer and knocked off about 5 pounds. Does what I need it to do from gravel 100 milers to single track. Last time I rode my 29er I regretted it and gave it to my son...

Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-mc-1-20-18.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Winter fat, summer I run 29+ in the front with 4" ,80mm 26" in back. Always rigid.

Honestly summer is a 29er HT and she is my summer fling, but I also ride the fatbike summer configuration about 25% of the time.
    Last edited by Turd; 03-19-2018 at 07:43 PM.

mtbr member

Full Time Fat For 6 Months

Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-20180210_151200.jpg

Went fat last fall. I haven't rode a hardtail since 1996, and didn't' want to start, so I am fat full suspension.

The Bucksaw isn't the best snow bike, but it gets me out there. It isn't the fastest cross country bike, but it works just fine. It kicks ass in the loose, steep, chunky Rocky Mountains, though.

Coming from 26 inch, I never see myself riding anything but fat or possibly 29+ again. I like big wheels and tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Riding the fat year round is silly when you have a TB.

Every single time I rode my fat bikes In the summer i wished i was on my nomad.

It's kind of fun as a novelty and keeps you in check once in a while, though.

Music & Bikes
    ^^^ I said I ride the Fat all year long but like you , I don't ride only the fat.

My MTB also sees love in the summer and in the winter too
    (on icy/super hard condition)

riding both makes you appreciate both for different reasons.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Flying Sasquatch
    I only ride fat in the spring, summer, and fall. 26x4 tires and a Manitou Mastodon pro up front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Front and full, all year here. But not always, to mix things up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    For the life of me I can't see any advantages at least for myself to riding only fat all year (well except maybe lighter on the wallet).
    What he said.

I tried fat one summer. That sucked. Got too beat up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Full fat year round for the simple reason it is what I have the most fun on. Currently riding a RM Blizzard -30 with a Bluto for summer and a carbon fork for winter.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    South east US. Almost 100% fatty year round. Upgraded Felt DD30 on JJ 4.0. Iím not a racer or extreme rider. Lots of single track, ups downs and all types of trails. Crazy fun. I hop on my other bikes with 2.3 sized tires from time to time. The fatty is still my main bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I put it up for the summer for the most part, occasionally use it for commuting on some 3.8 tires. Don't care to ride it in the summer, my other bikes (FS bikes) are much funner.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I rode fat-only until last summer when I picked up a full squish B+. I thought it would be fat only. Not so. I probably split the time 50/50 now. Just depends on what I'm doing. Most of the trails around here are super twisty and I just can't throw the fat around like the B+. The B+ also made me aware of some changes that I need to make to the fat. Wider bars w/ more rise, dropper, etc. Once those things are checked, who knows... I may be back to more than 50/50. Having both does make me wonder though if a Bucksaw would check ALL the boxes... but that's not in the budget right now.

FB&H rider
    Fat all year round. Fat got me back on bikes after 20+ years away, and still put a smile on my face every time.
    I'm open to others but every time I get on a buddy's bike I go straight back to fat. Still open to 27.5 fat or B+, but so far happy with fat.
    2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler MBS "Sir Fatsalot"
    2018 Kona Wozo "Adipose Rex"

mtbr member
    I ride my Farley 9.6 year round with 2 sets of wheels, 27.5 x 4.5 and 29+.

It does the job but wouldn't be my first choice for summer use.

I'd rather have a dedicated summer bike but I don't have enough time to ride to justify having a 4th bike...I have a dedicated road bike and a gravel/commuter.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Xylx View Post
    Rigid year 'round. Tires are 4" in the summer, 4.8" winter. I'm old and slow so what's a little more rolling resistance. Hopefully by the time my knees give out they'll have replacements with built-in levels of adjustable travel.
    same here...I don't ride to win races, so I often take the Surly out on the paved trails with the fiance as well. The only "skinny" bike I have for pavement is my BMX...both the Krampus and the BMX see time on the pavement...hell, I even ride the BMX on the trails sometimes

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Rigid fat all year. I'm in Africa, poor roads, lots of sand trails, limited access to tech support, so no sus fork. It's a big simple bullet proof beast that can cope with anything

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Fat yearround. Gripstudded Bud and Lou winter set and a Bud and Knard combo for summer on both fatbikes.

mtbr member
    I have a few fat bikes and let's just say I have a problem and have been hooked since November of 2013. I have tried a couple times to go back to my Jamis but the fat bikes keep the smile going on my face.

My first plus bike fat bike dating back to the 90's
    1992 Diamond Back - 26+ Sun Big Mammoth Fat rims with 2.4 Death Grip tires.
    (I have had this bike since new and it still has a 1x drivetrain with thumb shift)

Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-2017-12-27-mtb-db-bike-basement-wall-1-.jpg

Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-2017-12-27-mtb-db-bike-basement-wall-6-.jpg

14 Farley Black - 26 Hed Carbon Rims w/ 4.0 Jumbo Jim's (Carbon Fork ) Road Bike

14 Farley Blue - 27.5+ w/ Panaracers 3.5'' Fat-B-Nimbles (Bluto) Trail Bike (Scary fast)

16 Farley 9.6 - 26' w/ 4.0 Jumbo Jim's (Bluto) Trail Bike

16 Farley 5 - 27.5 w/ 4.5 Barbegazi (Carbon Fork from the Farley 9.6) Winter & Slop Bike

ps I learned a valuable less on Sunday. Riding a Fully Rigid with slightly muddy tires doesn't do well in a rocky technical trail especially when there are some damp wood ramps climbs. Traction is not your friend and bad things happen quickly. Ask me how I know.

ps I am considering the i9 Trail 270 31mm rims for my Jamis as I would love to start riding it again.
    MJ
    14 Farley,Bluto,i9-27.5FatBNimbles
    16 Farley5,CarbonFork,27.5x4.5Barbegazi
    16 Farley9.6,Bluto,Onyx-26JumboJims

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    There's just something about looking at that fat tire on the front of the bike that will never get old.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    There's just something about looking at that fat tire on the front of the bike that will never get old.
    Or seeing a pair of them on the roof of your 4Runner.

ps I agree with you 100%
    MJ

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Autorotate View Post
    South east US. Almost 100% fatty year round. Upgraded Felt DD30 on JJ 4.0. Iím not a racer or extreme rider. Lots of single track, ups downs and all types of trails. Crazy fun. I hop on my other bikes with 2.3 sized tires from time to time. The fatty is still my main bike.
    What kind of upgrades did you do? I take it you're strictly off road. Does anyone do fat on the pavement just because they can?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    What kind of upgrades did you do? I take it you're strictly off road. Does anyone do fat on the pavement just because they can?
    We're in Big Sky and just got back from a ride on the cat tracks around the ski hill. In late March Yellowstone opens the roads to bikes, and still closed to motorized. My wife and I ride from West Yellowstone to the first hot springs or where the Madison crosses the road. On 2 fatties.
    Often times there's several to a herd of Bison crossing the river and the road. The sound of the tires gives the Bison a heads up that we're coming: Not that they give a crap.

I love the sound of a 4.8" tire rolling down the road, so yes I run everywhere with a smile on my face.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The only mountain bike I've ever owned is my Surly Ice Cream Truck. I put a dropper on it and a Manitou Mastodon. I may try some 4" tires soon to see how they do in the dry desert here. Bud and Lou are cool for now though.

mtbr member
    Yep, I do and I love it.

Last year I rode on 26 x 4" tires this year I will be running 27.5 x 4.5 tires on a new frame as I think I am selling one of my Farley's to a buddy.
    MJ

mtbr member
    Rigid. Never understood the whole suspension thing on a fat bike... when the trail turns to shit just drop some air. I've been riding year round for the past 9 years. I use a Larry on the front tire in the summer... makes the pavement rides much easier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I run 2XL's during the winter except when conditions stay hard and icy, then I switch to my set of grip studded Bud/Lous. During the summer I just run whatever stock tire the bike I current have came with. But this upcoming summer since I grip studded the stock tires on my wife' new bike I bought last November I'm going to run 4.8 JJ's on hers and my new bike. Both bikes are fully rigid and I like it that way for performance reasons in snow (no bobbing or power loss) and for lack of maintenance reasons during the summer months. We just use our fat bikes for exploring and riding in areas regular bikes are no fun. We've also got FS bikes, road bikes, hard tails, etc. Lots of our fleet is old but all the bikes serve a purpose. Thing is, we seem to ride the fat bikes the most when it comes to just fun, recreational riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    same here...I don't ride to win races, so I often take the Surly out on the paved trails with the fiance as well. The only "skinny" bike I have for pavement is my BMX...both the Krampus and the BMX see time on the pavement...hell, I even ride the BMX on the trails sometimes
    Putting CST Cheyennes on the Stolen this coming week for the same reason.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    Putting CST Cheyennes on the Stolen this coming week for the same reason.
    Nice!!! I still use Tioga Comp 3ís for riding dirt...when I am not too lazy to change to them. I normally run Maxxis Grifters. Sometimes those make it to the dirt as well

have never heard of CST tires. Checking them out now

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Unfortunately I've been down this winter, but I'll be riding fat all year again soon. It's more an issue of not having several bikes. I do have two, but I'm about to move and only taking one with me initially.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    My iZip Sumo E3 fat ebike has been my only bicycle since I bought it in April 2017. I'm right in the middle of building up a 2017 Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon to complement it.

I'm a street rider. I love the feel of a full rigid suspension bike suspended on big, smooth tires. I'll go anywhere I'm going to bicycle with either of these two bicycles: I've done rides up to 35 miles with them now.

mtbr member
    Nice!!! I still use Tioga Comp 3ís for riding dirt...when I am not too lazy to change to them. I normally run Maxxis Grifters. Sometimes those make it to the dirt as well

have never heard of CST tires. Checking them out now
    I just saw that Duro makes the Comp 3 in 26". I have seen the Power Block in 26, but hadn't known the Comp 3 came in 26 (even if by another manufacturer). Cool!

CST is good ol' Cheng Shin. I think I had their C1244 tires on my first Mongoose back in the 80's.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    I roll fat year round. Pugsley - full rigid. Up until last summer I used it for both commuting and trail riding. I love the fat.

That said, as I start to look at replacements, I think I am leaning more towards a 29+ as my next ride. I like the big tires, but am also aware that my fun is sometimes a bit moderated by lugging the big arsed thing over hill and dale. Truth be told, i'll probably just keep riding the Pugs until it finally disintegrates under me, though. It just puts such a smile on my face everytime I get on it.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    I roll fat year round. Pugsley - full rigid. Up until last summer I used it for both commuting and trail riding. I love the fat.

That said, as I start to look at replacements, I think I am leaning more towards a 29+ as my next ride. I like the big tires, but am also aware that my fun is sometimes a bit moderated by lugging the big arsed thing over hill and dale. Truth be told, i'll probably just keep riding the Pugs until it finally disintegrates under me, though. It just puts such a smile on my face everytime I get on it.
    29+....you know you want a Krampus!!!! 😎

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    29+....you know you want a Krampus!!!! 😎
    I'm not saying that, but... I am Krampcurious

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    I'm not saying that, but... I am Krampcurious
    Its like getting 3 bikes in one geo wise...great for trail, as well as touring, and is quick like a bmx as well...for its size of course

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    The only mountain bike I've ever owned is my Surly Ice Cream Truck. I put a dropper on it and a Manitou Mastodon. I may try some 4" tires soon to see how they do in the dry desert here. Bud and Lou are cool for now though.
    I have the exact bike- ICT with a dropper post and mastodon pro. I did go with 4.0 JJ tires for the summer, lost almost a pound per wheel at the outside. Adding a frame bag and water bottle cage to the seat tube (I can't believe they didn't put cage mounts there). Previous owner took the front rings off and went 1x10 - I think I'm going to try going back to 2x10 for the lower gearing (parts were included in the sale).

I was bored with mtn biking - this bike has renewed the interest for me. I've owned it for a few months, but plan on using this for the future year round. I'll be a year of being in shape enough to ride that thing anywhere. The fork is a beast and makes the bike really fun. Not racing and I don't care if I'm last to the top. The downhills however, this thing flies.

mtbr member
    My Trek front suspension skinny makes a great coat hanger in my garage. Fat rigid on 4.0 JJ's all year. A lot of cross country, hard packed single track, bumpy rooty trails, LOTS of sand and some snow in the pines here. It rolls over and thru anything. Including the occasional paved road. It's just too much damn fun. Hardly notice my skinny anymore. I give it some love when my wife rides it in the summer as a road bike.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Ready for Spring, Summer and Fall.

Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-29665086_10156153519585502_7429621197908065720_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Yup! Hardtail 907 Whiteout.
    Run Vanhelgas in summer w bluto and Wrathchilds w rigid fork in Winter.

Might try 29+ someday but the 26x4.0 is great fun.

Going to try to get myself to ride my skinny FS this summer. Not holding my breath as i usually just ride my fatty 90% of the time.
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

mtbr member
    Fat all year for me, too. I build custom bike frames (Pornstar Bike Company) and the model of the bike I ride is the Fill It, Chubby!. The one pictured is my unpainted R&D rig.

Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-img_6246.jpg

I ride with a front suspension fork now, although I did ride a season rigid. The rigid fork definitely helps with choosing good lines, but develops really bad braking habits. The front suspension fork makes it a lot more forgiving (obviously) and is much easier on the brakes. The rest of the setup is much more biased towards dirt than snow, Darryl in the front, Marge in the back and 120tpi Nates on both wheels.

I'm currently working on a second Fill It, Chubby! with slacker geometry and designed for a 120mm fork, rather than the 100mm fork I have on the current rig. I'm curious as to how I'll like the slacker geometry on the new fat rig.
    Ryan Harry
    Pornstar Bike Company
    www.pornstarbike.com

mtbr member
    PS, my one wish is that Fox would make a fat fork or that Rockshox would make a better one. The Bluto is fine, but just fine.
    Ryan Harry
    Pornstar Bike Company
    www.pornstarbike.com

Stone Jack Baller
    I have other bikes, but since I got my ICT, they all collect dust. Iím 70 miles north of the gulf coast. The trails have inconsistent surfaces. The soft sandy spots used to scare me. Not anymore. I donít get snow, so I can change wheelset any time. Love the bike with either wheelset. 4.0 jumbo jims and 29x3 chupas. Bluto rct3 fork.
    Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-1f3da52b-d017-4507-9218-41a10d7dbaa7.jpg
    Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-01030357-4d2d-4c15-819f-d3ef895ec4f0.jpg

Nutrailer
    I've just sold my 27.5 plus bike as I always prefer my fat bike, so looks like I'll be on it all year.
    Recently swapped the Bluto for a carbon fork and also running 4.0 JJ so enjoying the weight loss, it just makes me grin every time I look at it and ride it.

Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-nutrail-220118.jpg

And as the weather warms up I can loose the rear guard - so even lighter
    What a perfect waste of time

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'm rarely happy with my bikes for long, but the Beargrease has been hanging in there for over 2 years now and was my only bike for about a year.

I have moved to the Bucksaw primarily, but the Beargrease still sees time. Fat is fun, but I think I may go back to something like a 120-130mm 29er and keep the bucksaw for shoulder season and winter.

Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-img_2149.jpg

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by PornstarRyan View Post
    PS, my one wish is that Fox would make a fat fork or that Rockshox would make a better one. The Bluto is fine, but just fine.
    The Mastodon is just as good as any Fox or RS that I have or have had.

mtbr member
    My fatty gets used all year for all non road rides...and some road rides too. I am contemplating 29+ wheels for the summer and perhaps a try at the Chequamegon Fat Tire race. So far rigid.

Your bike sucks
    After riding thru this winter on what were pretty much regular season trail conditions, I'm sold on the fat bike. It'll be my go-to hardtail during the warm weather too. Downsized my 4.8 FBF to a 4.0 FBF in 26 which was a step in the right direction for trail riding but building a B-Fat wheelset to run FBF 3.8s and see what that's about. Cool thing about riding the fatty on trails is it is different enough to meaningfully expand the experience vs. just swapping trail bike (FS) for a similar trail bike (HT) here and there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well you are in luck!

I have two B fat wheelsets for sale

Onyx hubs and Duroc rims, on is 40mm and set up with Purgatorys, the other is 50mm and set up with FBF/Crown Gem 3.8's.

Get em while they're hot!

Nothing beats a fast wheel on a fat bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    After riding thru this winter on what were pretty much regular season trail conditions, I'm sold on the fat bike. It'll be my go-to hardtail during the warm weather too. Downsized my 4.8 FBF to a 4.0 FBF in 26 which was a step in the right direction for trail riding but building a B-Fat wheelset to run FBF 3.8s and see what that's about. Cool thing about riding the fatty on trails is it is different enough to meaningfully expand the experience vs. just swapping trail bike (FS) for a similar trail bike (HT) here and there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pelts79 View Post
    Full fat year round for the simple reason it is what I have the most fun on.
    same.

I am running 26x4 year round because that's what my frame fits. I
    am running Kenda Juggernaut pros. I like them a lot.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Well you are in luck!
    I have two B fat wheelsets for sale
    ^ Ha. You're a good salesman. Maybe too good - you inspired me to build up a BFat with your descriptions and some of the pics of the Wozo but I already had all my parts before you listed your wheels. Just have to do my build. Glad I put the wheels (ha) in motion early because my 4 month old SunnRingle MuleFut wheelset bit the dust with grenaded threads that attach ratchet ring so my Wozo is just sitting in shame in the garage. After having to walk it home, I'm hoping we both can regain some dignity.

mtbr member
    I'll have to check it out. I'm always a little concerned about Manitou's long term service parts support from my time working as a wrench and having a hard time getting seals for older Manitous (but that may be an unfounded fear anymore). I'll try to get my hands on one and see what it's all about. Thanks!
    Ryan Harry
    Pornstar Bike Company
    www.pornstarbike.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    My new bike, joins my iZip Sumo E3 electric fat bike for daily use on the streets ...

Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon roadie machine

G

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepRage View Post
    I'm curious on who is riding a Fat bike year round as their primary or only ride. Are you staying full fat (4" or bigger), running 29+ or a second wheel set in non snow conditions? Rigid?

I bought a Tallboy full squish last year and then a Canyon Dude rigid Fat (4" tires) over the winter and absolutely loving it. I've ridden the Tallboy only once or twice since, added a Mastodon to the Dude, making it even more fun. Even with the added weight, the bike is a blast.

I'm not racing or doing all day rides, and not sure I really need the full suspension anymore. The novelty hasn't worn off yet.
    Ď16 Farley 7 no suspension all year long in Massachusetts roots and rocks. Love it,

blood in / blood out
    I ride my Beargrease all year long. It has a Wren 110 on it and I just switch between wheelsets for what I'm riding. I sold all other bikes but my road bike for days when I can not get on dirt and still need to turn pedals.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    May 2008
    +1

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Fatoad?

I rode a tweaked (4.5 Juggernaut Pro rear, Snowshoe 2XL in Lauf fork) 2016 Argus Sport year round because full time South Carolina ocean beach town resident. While resuscitating an early 1970s road bike when we moved 20 miles inland, I got so far as ordering Proofide for the saddle when it occurred to me that:
    * Our new community is mostly surrounded by 55mph highways without bike paths.
    * Now that I no longer patrol for sea turtle nests, biking is more about exercise than covering distance.

.. so swapped 30T to barely-used 36T FMF wide-narrow chainring from eBay, converting beach bike to fat road (Fatoad?). Polar heart monitor credits me with completing extreme training load after < 40 minutes / 7 miles @ 10 psi tire pressures, with the primary downside being silly amounts of tread noise on pavement, which at least warns any pedestrians.

With most routes including only a couple of curb hops, Carbonara sees little action.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I bought my first fatty 4 winters ago for winter (snow riding) and did just that for the first three winters. But with various upgrades I've been enjoying the bike so much I now ride it year round - but not exclusively (will also ride the Pivot Mach 5.7C). I have a Fatboy Expert with a 100mm Bluto. For winter wheels I run 85mm carbon Nexties on DT Swiss hubs and Bud/Lou 4.8 tires. For summer I'm about to pull the trigger on another set of Nextie carbon wheels but 65mm. I run 4.6 GC tire up front and a 4.0 Nate in rear in summer guise. I still have my stock wheelset but both hubs have been changed out, too. The Nexties dropped more than 2 pounds in wheel weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CObikeman View Post
    I bought my first fatty 4 winters ago for winter (snow riding) and did just that for the first three winters. But with various upgrades I've been enjoying the bike so much I now ride it year round - but not exclusively (will also ride the Pivot Mach 5.7C). I have a Fatboy Expert with a 100mm Bluto. For winter wheels I run 85mm carbon Nexties on DT Swiss hubs and Bud/Lou 4.8 tires. For summer I'm about to pull the trigger on another set of Nextie carbon wheels but 65mm. I run 4.6 GC tire up front and a 4.0 Nate in rear in summer guise. I still have my stock wheelset but both hubs have been changed out, too. The Nexties dropped more than 2 pounds in wheel weight.
    That should offset the weight of the Bluto a bit. I'll pass on carbon wheels, but then again, I'll pass on fat bike front suspension, too.

mtbr member
    Borealis Echo exclusively for a bit over a year now. 4" tires because the 4.8s feel too sluggish on the trail to me.

I'm ready for a new FS bike, though, to mix things up, though.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Currently riding it up and down a local road that gains 1300' in 3.1 miles, doing laps. Lots of people train on road bikes on this road, but I figure I want to be in better shape, so might as well train with the fat bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I'm riding 4.0" all year around. Fully rigid.

Winters down to -10'C
    Summer up to +35C
    No road/paved rides

2-3 time a year ~50km XC competitions.

I'm coming from a non aerobic sport, so having strong legs, bad lungs/heart.
    Fat Bike was a good solution for me to combine heavier ridings and lower aerobic at the beginning.

On a 27.5 MTB, after some time even if my legs could go further up hill, my lungs and heart couldn't not. Not speaking about a road ride.
    Fat bike gave me the opportunity to use my legs 100% before I got stopped by my other less stronger organs.

After a 1 year it's better now with my aerobic/heart and can compete on 50km rides.

Usually weekly riding average 15-20% uphill 1-1.5km, 2 times a week, and 15km forest ride with average 5%.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Currently riding it up and down a local road that gains 1300' in 3.1 miles, doing laps. Lots of people train on road bikes on this road, but I figure I want to be in better shape, so might as well train with the fat bike.
    I saw a video recently of a dude who was passing road bikers (on a climb) on his fat bike. I am pretty sure it was somewhere in Europe and I think I saw it on this site. I also saw you yesterday as I was on the way down (on my cyclocross bike) and you were climbing. I tip my hat to you sir, that is tough climbing on the fattie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I sold my 27.5+ full suspension bike; and just finished putting this fatty together. Currently running 26"x4". The Jumbo Jim was a challenge to convert to tubeless, but it turned out great. Just had a first ride, it was so much fun. Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-one-fatty.jpg

mtbr member
    Year round rigid on shaved BFLs

Who is riding Fat all year?  Rigid, Front or Full Suspension?-981a4023-645f-421b-a758-5e6b2c1dddbd.jpg

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    Year round rigid on shaved BFLs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	981A4023-645F-421B-A758-5E6B2C1DDDBD.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	1194063
    sweet!!!What kind of rims?

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    sXeXBMXer

Stock 80 mm Wienmanns. Held up darn well after 3500 beach miles. Original hubs too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sorry I didnít see this for awhile.

I went 1X up front, new bars, SLX brakes and XT 11 speed shifter and mech 11-46 and Bluto fork.

Mostly off-road but Iíll ride this on some local shop ride and dines (12-15mph) evening rides for fun. The bike is still silly fun on just about everything. I just needed some simplicity in the drivetrain and more gear once I went 1X for when Iím traveling to places with more elevation than my home trails.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    sXeXBMXer

Stock 80 mm Wienmanns. Held up darn well after 3500 beach miles. Original hubs too.
    cool man...just curious. Always like to scout new equipment

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!