When you're in-between sizes on Surly fat sizes (S or M?)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2017

When you're in-between sizes on Surly fat sizes (S or M?)

Hey all -

I'm absolutely new to mountain biking. I really want to get into bikepacking and the idea of investing in a surly fat bike with the option to add 29ers sounds about perfect. From my research, the Pugsley seems to fit the bill.

My measurements seem to fit smack dibbity dab in the middle between a Small/16 and a Medium/18 frame. Iím 5í8 1/2 , 32 Ĺ inseam. Female, but that probably doesnít matter. On paper a Medium seems to fit the bill Ė but on paper a 54cm road bike seems to fit the bill but Iím just WAY too stretched out. Iíve realized Iíve been riding a [road] bike for 3+ years thatís been too big for me, and I donít want to make the same mistake when purchasing a mountain/fat bike. And because I seem to be in-between sizes, Iím asking for advice.

FWIW Iím aware all manufacturers have different measurements (center-top vs. effective TT), which makes the comparison between a 54cm Specialized road bike and a Surly mountain bike virtually useless.. Iím just looking for personal experiences and opinions, especially from those who use their rig to bikepack.

Iím leaning towards a small, as I know itís easier to compensate a smaller frame than a larger one. Also, because Iíll be bikepacking I imagine a more relaxed position would be best.

Thanks so much for the input! Really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    I buy one size down in fatbikes - mainly for standover in soft conditions, eg snow, or mud.

Doesn't seem to be a problem.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

Co Springs
    When you say you are female, it probable does matter or can. Look up typical female fit to bike characteristics just to be safe. I recall women having a slight dif in proportions like legs trunk arms... it might be good to know or help some.

I was looking at med and large and felt between but a few sample rides helped and stem, bar and saddle all allow some detailed fit parameters. Good luck.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Women typically have long legs and short torsos. There is no right answer until you sit on the bike. A small may leave you with a ton of seat tube out and proportionally lower bars than you would like. A medium may have you to stretched out. Short stems on in vogue now for good reason. I would try a medium with a short stem and see if it can work for you before ordering anything. Most shops can swap out a stem in 5 minutes before you commit to buying.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I would ride a medium. I am male, but close to your size, 5'9 with a 31" inseam (so more upper body). I like 545-555 ETT on a road bike, with a 90-100mm stem.

You will probably be happier on the small, even though the ETT is only 15mm shorter than the medium.

mtbr member

future tires

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_and_Mustard View Post
    ...Iíve realized Iíve been riding a [road] bike for 3+ years thatís been too big for me, and I donít want to make the same mistake when purchasing a mountain/fat bike.
    Iím leaning towards a small, as I know itís easier to compensate a smaller frame than a larger one.
    If there is a chance that you might eventually want to mount larger tires, they can effectively change standover by that much.