when/if Surly will change white base Pugs to bright orange??? like 907 and Fatback??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

when/if Surly will change white base Pugs to bright orange??? like 907 and Fatback??

any opinions out there on IF Surly will
    change the base model Pugs from white to the Agent Orange color like on the Troll??? Other fatbike mfrs. seem to be pushing the orange such as 907 and Fatback with both of their forum banner ads featuring bright orange frames.

Got to ride a pugs for a few minutes and loved the fit but I have had a white hardtail for a few years and have a tough time getting another white bike. I know picky, poser _____fill in the blank but I would prefer either a bright orange, green or even a flat black better. Does Surly change colors on a regular schedule? Seems like they have had the snowblind white pugs for a while now.
    Thanks,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nepanite View Post
    any opinions out there on IF Surly will
    change the base model Pugs from white to the Agent Orange color like on the Troll??? Other fatbike mfrs. seem to be pushing the orange such as 907 and Fatback with both of their forum banner ads featuring bright orange frames.
    The obvious answer is that the colour of the white Pugs will switch to orange about 3 months after you buy one...LMAO...isn't that always the way it happens?...

I think this is the second winter of white so chances are it may change next year, but it may not and if it does change there is no telling what it will change to.

My advice is buy the white Pugs and if you can't stand it just strip it down and powder coat it. The cost and hassle seems worth it given your need for non-white. This way you get the colour you want on your schedule with total certainty.

Trying to predict what Surly will do next with colours is a losing game IMO...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nepanite View Post
    I know picky, poser _____fill in the blank but I would prefer either a bright orange, green or even a flat black better.
    I'm pretty sure black is an option as long as you're not sensative about the name.
    Latitude 61

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Surly normally changes the color on their frames after a two year run. I think this is year two of snowblind? Wait till next year...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    [QUOTE=vikb;8646198]The obvious answer is that the colour of the white Pugs will switch to orange about 3 months after you buy one...LMAO...isn't that always the way it happens?...

Yep, that is exactly how it could go...my local bike pusher mentioned that "they were getting low" but I'm not sure if that meant a local distributor or QBP in general. I did see the pug "that shall not be named" aka the one formerly known as black ops and now the necromancer.. I liked the idea of scraping off the nec and leaving it..

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've always hated white bikes, just like I hate white cars, but the white Pugs is somehow different, and I have really come to like it a lot- I even added a (mostly) white saddle and white riser bars. I still don't like other white bikes....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I've always hated white bikes, just like I hate white cars, but the white Pugs is somehow different, and I have really come to like it a lot- I even added a (mostly) white saddle and white riser bars. I still don't like other white bikes....
    Yeah, I've been trying to psych myself up for it. Found someone using an urban camouflage seat (SSG - dirt jump I think) and that actually would look pretty neat. I did see a pugs with white riser bars that looked pretty good as well. Still think black with a lot of polished aluminum would look pretty good though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Black Pugs

Surly has come out with a Black Pugs and they should be in shops soon. Talk to your LBS.

It was originally called the Black Ops Pug but was recently renamed due to a conflict with another company using the Black Ops name. It's now called Necromancer or something odd like that.

The built up bike sports 82mm Rolling D rims and Mr Worly off-set cranks but is otherwise very similar to the white Pugs. The black Pugs is also available as a frame only.

Not sure what Surly has in store for stock color next year but pretty sure it won't be Pink.

Pat

Witty McWitterson
    Surly makes available replacement sticker sets. Powder coating is a cheap way to change the color of a bike. I've had three frames sent up to the local powdercoater and redone for very resonable prices. And that's getting it done the right way. Go cheaper yet, and use a rattle can. BaM! no more white bike....
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post

Not sure what Surly has in store for stock color next year but pretty sure it won't be Pink.

Pat
    Idk...this is a stock color 1x1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails when/if Surly will change white base Pugs to bright orange??? like 907 and Fatback??-sams-pictures-340.jpg  

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~ View Post
    Surly makes available replacement sticker sets. Powder coating is a cheap way to change the color of a bike. I've had three frames sent up to the local powdercoater and redone for very resonable prices. And that's getting it done the right way. Go cheaper yet, and use a rattle can. BaM! no more white bike....
    Comparing the cost/quality tradeoff of both rattle can and powder coat: powder coat wins, by a lot.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (officialy in 2016, functionally in 2020).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My grey pugs is at the powdercoater now. I went with matte black. No decals.

Edit: Sandblaster was $25, he did it while I waited. The powdercoat was $100.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

my other 1x1

WHP,

I have the other Pink 1x1 that I beat (hacked/welded) into a fatbike. Formally known as Pinky it now goes by the call sign Porky,

Since it's been done I don't think Surly will be using the color again for a long time, especially on the Pugs. I'm sure they'll come up with a worthy color though...

Snow riding is perfect in AK right now and hope it's equally good where you all are.

Pat