Apr 2017

What's the best hubs for fat bike?

confusing.. need help.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackfair View Post
    confusing.. need help.
    How long is a piece of string?

If you want a useable, detailed and introspective answer, ask a detailed and thought out question.

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    black ones, I'd definitely go with black ones
    always mad and usually drunk......

The most important thing is that they fit the frame, that and having Rims and Spokes laced to them is good too. Money no object? I like Chris King Hubs. Money an object (like for real people)? But the best you can afford (general premise of life for me except with cell phones).

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    #1-Onyx

#2-Everything else

Hope that helps!!

turtles make me hot
    OP, what are you looking to spend and how do you intend to use said hubs?

There's DT Swiss, Hope, Bike Hub Store, Onyx... All in varying degrees of durability and expense.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I9 or Onyx. Done. End of thread.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    How long is a piece of string?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Money no object? I like Chris King Hubs.
    Does Chris King make fatbike hubs? Was looking at his web page and only found up to 157 rear through axle.

Stone Jack Baller
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    I9 or Onyx. Done. End of thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's the best hubs for fat bike?-img_3507.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    this may touch a few nerves but that is not my intent. if you want to just have good reliable hubs that are not flashy, go with DT Swiss. if you want to talk about your hubs or have everyone know what kind of hubs you have, then pick one of the following based on budget. Onyx, I9 or Hope.

I am currently running the 3 year old pair of hubs that came with my China carbon bike. they are Chosen and run $120 for the pair. i have 3 sets on different wheels of varying ages. i weigh 245lbs and ride year around with no issues. everyone's mileage will vary but i see no reason so spend big $$$ on fancy named hubs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    confusing.. need help.
    How heavy is a rock?

My wife likes taking naps, I like riding Onyx hubs

mtbr member
    May 2005

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Jekyl View Post
    Cheers mate, thanks for the help!

On another point, if OP is looking for reliable and easy to service, than DT should be at the top of the list.

everything else (except Onyx) uses outdated technology.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Ok Thanks guys, seems I9 or Onyx are the best! @alias Onyx using a new tech? what is it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ok Thanks guys, seems I9 or Onyx are the best! @alias Onyx using a new tech? what is it?
    You wanted to take it to a vote? I won't argue that a $600 hub MUST have something going on, even if it's just unfazed nerve from the manufacturer, but I would really like for someone with experience on both (on modern fatties, that is) tell us how an I9 is better than, say, a Hope Fatsno Pro (less than half the price of the former).

mtbr member
    I had a Hope Fatsno...the bearings lasted about 100 miles
    Went to a i9, great hub, but stupid loud
    Then got a Onyx, super smooth, instant engagement, it has taken a beating and is still awesome.
    Picked up a DT Swiss for another wheelset. much cheaper, not great engagement, smooth and lighter

turtles make me hot
    I have a few wheelsets. Some with Hopes, some with Bikehubstore. I loosely keep track of the usage and try to keep the bearings in good working order.
    I ruined a Chosen hub from 907 in less than a year.
    I've built wheels or people with I9 hubs. They're light, have fast engagement and sound cool if you dig that sort of thing. Do I really think they're worth so much more than Hopes? Not really.
    I've also ridden a bike with Onyx hubs. While they're supposed to be the end all bomb proof hub, I have to say the silence was freaky and the engagement feels a little strange. I'm sure you get used to it fast when you lay out that kinda cash.
    I've never handled a DT Swiss fat hub. They look nice but no one's asked for them yet.
    The reason I have mostly Hope and BHS... I have a wife and kids. If I need a couple of sets of wheels, I can swing 200 dollar hubs a lot easier than 600 dollar hubs. Also, I can keep a spare driver and set of bearings in my kit in the truck so when we're away from home I can make an emergency repair. Got one Hope driver and one BHS driver.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    No King fat hubs exist.

mtbr member
    Hadley Racing hubs are a solid choice.
    Made in the USA. 72 POE.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    Hadley Racing hubs are a solid choice.
    Made in the USA. 72 POE.
    Do they make em for 197mm bikes? I know they make 170.
    I like turtles

All fat, all the time.
    I would have went DT swiss, if they had options other than black, black, or black.
    I like my Hope, they are reasonably light, not too $$, and scare away bears & hikers.

mtbr member
    Absolutely they do the 197mm. They get sold out a lot though because of the quality.

mtbr member
    Put a 177 dt on my farley 6, now putting a 197 on my 9.6... i was going to go hope but couldnt go with personally unknown. Dt's ratchet has yet to let me down.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    I just bought a DT Swiss wheelset, for the price of a Onyx hub , l like how quiet they are and the roll beautifully, relatively light too.
    Engagement "issue" someone mentiined above is solved via two kits, 36 tooth and 54 tooth "upgrades", l like the 18 tooth egagement enough to not worry.
    I must say too, they look f...ing tops.
    I originally wanted to relace my Chinga rims, but had so many hassles trying to get just DT Swiss hubs, then with spokes and lacing, it didnt make a whole lot of sense, so l just got the wheelset .
    Supposedly the hubs are toolless seviceable too.

Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    black ones, I'd definitely go with black ones
    but l still agree with this bloke
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I would have went DT swiss, if they had options other than black, black, or black.
    I like my Hope, they are reasonably light, not too $$, and scare away bears & hikers.
    So wait, you choose an inferior hub because you don't like black? Wow, I'm impressed... that you admitted it

It would be something if DT gave color options, but then I like black.

Couldn't you get the hubs anodized or powder coated?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Are the one from Salsa any good?
    I'm building a 27.5+/29+ setup on a blackborow, but I need 150/197 mm centrelock hub. I'm not willing to pay for onyx or i9 stuff.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Racam View Post
    I'm building a 27.5+/29+ setup on a blackborow, but I need 150/197 mm centrelock hub. I'm not willing to pay for onyx or i9 stuff.
    Not really.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Dt Swiss makes nice hubs and they have center lock. Bike24 has some of the best deals on them

mtbr member
    From what I have seen, my stock 2015 Salsa Mukluk hubs are the same as Planet X hubs. They have not failed me, but I prefer my Hadley hubs...by a lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Really liking the Tune Fatkong hub. This is a 12 x 170mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's the best hubs for fat bike?-img_9479_1.jpg  

What's the best hubs for fat bike?-img_9404_1.jpg  

What's the best hubs for fat bike?-img_9382_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Wow, I didn’t think anyone would spend that much on a set of hubs. And people said Onyx was expensive!

Very few reviews, three pawl system is not innovative, not sure they’re the best, though are certainly the lightest.

I love Onyx, also really like DT, but dollar for dollar and gram for gram, DT is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Really liking the Tune Fatkong hub. This is a 12 x 170mm.

Rippin da fAt
    Ya gotta have that half revolution of freeplay to engagement to make a hub worthy!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am way more concerned about the CF brake rotor, myself. I wouldn't trust that ever.

mtbr member
    If you don't want to spend the $$$ for Onyx, get a set of DT Swiss. End of story.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Dtswiss pretty much seems to be the concensus.
    Thanks
    Out of curiosity. Anybody did a 27.5+ build with 150/197mm hubs and 3 inch tires. I'm wondering if it's too much tension on the spokes with that angle. It's for bikepacking, so long distances with a load.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damon777 View Post
    I am way more concerned about the CF brake rotor, myself. I wouldn't trust that ever.
    Ferrari uses CF rotors ...
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You must be referring to the Alpha carbon rotors that pretty much turn to dust after the first long downhill, that would be sketchy. This is one of the last Gen Kettle rotors that didn't warp into a potato chip. I have a couple that are straight, this one has 4 years on it although mostly just winter riding and the braking surface is like new. I run this with Kettle's Metal pads. In my 25 years of winter riding these are by far the best rotors I have run in the winter. On snow you can lock these up with one finger but hanging off the back on a steep snow/ice covered downhill is where they are really amazing, incredible modulation.
    That said I don't run these on my summer bikes - just not enough initial stopping power, so steel rotors it is.

turtles make me hot
    Dtswiss pretty much seems to be the concensus.
    Thanks
    Out of curiosity. Anybody did a 27.5+ build with 150/197mm hubs and 3 inch tires. I'm wondering if it's too much tension on the spokes with that angle. It's for bikepacking, so long distances with a load.
    I've built a few sets. They're fine.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Ya gotta have that half revolution of freeplay to engagement to make a hub worthy!
    LOL, you might want to check your math. But what does make a hub worthy is being able to build a light wheelset with reliabilty ( at least for me ). The single track trail systems around here get snow packed quickly from a ton of Fatbike traffic. I am older and ride with a few guys less than half my age and some racing Pro XC (my son being one ) so the pace is brisk. My wheelset is 1644 grams on 65mm rims combined with a light Fatbike helps me to hang with some of these yard apes - especially in the last half of the ride. Nothing wrong with engagement on Tune hubs but there is obviously alot better out there. Weight and reliabilty ( Tune Fatkong is based off their DH hub ) are 10 times more important to me than engagement, although everyone has different needs.
    At the OP, not sure what you were referring to as best FB hub, but if you are looking at building light weight FB wheelset the Tune hubs are one option.

Rippin da fAt
    LOL, you might want to check your math. But what does make a hub worthy is being able to build a light wheelset with reliabilty ( at least for me ). The single track trail systems around here get snow packed quickly from a ton of Fatbike traffic. I am older and ride with a few guys less than half my age and some racing Pro XC (my son being one ) so the pace is brisk. My wheelset is 1644 grams on 65mm rims combined with a light Fatbike helps me to hang with some of these yard apes - especially in the last half of the ride. Nothing wrong with engagement on Tune hubs but there is obviously alot better out there. Weight and reliabilty ( Tune Fatkong is based off their DH hub ) are 10 times more important to me than engagement, although everyone has different needs.
    At the OP, not sure what you were referring to as best FB hub, but if you are looking at building light weight FB wheelset the Tune hubs are one option.
    What I don't desire is a component that will disintegrate after catching air a few times and will still be haunting the mountains 10+ years from date of purchase! With that said, some weight is fine with me. Not a worry, 3 years post heart surgery. The other nice thing of zero slop engagement is ho luxurious it is when I get trialsy, of which happens on each and every ride.
    Now, if King would just break down and fab some fatbike hubs!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What I don't desire is a component that will disintegrate after catching air a few times and will still be haunting the mountains 10+ years from date of purchase! With that said, some weight is fine with me. Not a worry, 3 years post heart surgery. The other nice thing of zero slop engagement is ho luxurious it is when I get trialsy, of which happens on each and every ride.
    Now, if King would just break down and fab some fatbike hubs!
    My brother-in-law had triple bi in the spring, that is a gnarly recovery/re-hab. Great you are still riding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    Ferrari uses CF rotors ...
    No, they don't.

What's the best hubs for fat bike?-01e8e10d1bcdac4910aaa9aa9d4d87689a4293b5f6.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Rippin da fAt
    My brother-in-law had triple bi in the spring, that is a gnarly recovery/re-hab. Great you are still riding.
    Thankya!

My cardiologist prescribed the fatbike. Ride 4x week, 1.5 hrs each time. I need to find the script form to send it to Gomez.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    DT star ratchet. Pawl-less on all 5 bikes!

urmb
    “How inappropriate to call this planet "Earth," when it is clearly "Ocean.”
    ― Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    No, they don't.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01e8e10d1bcdac4910aaa9aa9d4d87689a4293b5f6.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	1172128
    That pic sure does look like CF rotors... Unless you mean Ferrari outsources them and doesn't make the rotors themselves

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    That pic sure does look like CF rotors... Unless you mean Ferrari outsources them and doesn't make the rotors themselves
    Carbon ceramic for the road cars. Big difference between these and the carbon rotors used in motorsport. All of the F1 teams have been using full carbon rotors for decades. They were introduced by Brabham in 1979. For a road car, it is not practical to use full carbon rotors because of the heat needed to get them to work properly.

Music & Bikes
    What's the best hubs for fat bike?
    I really like my Rohloff , the best for me
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You must be referring to the Alpha carbon rotors that pretty much turn to dust after the first long downhill, that would be sketchy. This is one of the last Gen Kettle rotors that didn't warp into a potato chip. I have a couple that are straight, this one has 4 years on it although mostly just winter riding and the braking surface is like new. I run this with Kettle's Metal pads. In my 25 years of winter riding these are by far the best rotors I have run in the winter. On snow you can lock these up with one finger but hanging off the back on a steep snow/ice covered downhill is where they are really amazing, incredible modulation.
    That said I don't run these on my summer bikes - just not enough initial stopping power, so steel rotors it is.
    I stand corrected. They look like epoxy/CF composite for the weight weenie crowd.

mtbr member
    I stand corrected. They look like epoxy/CF composite for the weight weenie crowd.
    They are lighter but the real reason is the heat dispersion. CF Rotors will still work when metal rotors would melt.....they are a bit pricey, if you have a z06/ grandsport corvette with carbon rotors, expect to pay $10,000 for a set of rotors and pads....double that price with the super cars.

Love my hope hubs....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    No, they are not carbon fiber with resin like your bike and rims. By your reasoning, diamonds would also be "carbon fiber".

Carbon fiber mountain bike rotors are a faux-product intended to make you think about the "carbon" rotors you've heard about in F1 racing and that have trickled down to high performance road cars, but they are nothing like these. Just do the research on how they make "carbon" rotors for high performance cars, also known as carbon-ceramic (there is another kind called carbon-carbon).

These carbon fiber mtb rotors are a joke.
    Last edited by Jayem; 12-16-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    What I don't desire is a component that will disintegrate...Now, if King would just break down and fab some fatbike hubs!
    Hadley would fit that bill - no?

I plan to splurg on one when my stock Formula has a season on it.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Carbon ceramic for the road cars. Big difference between these and the carbon rotors used in motorsport. All of the F1 teams have been using full carbon rotors for decades. They were introduced by Brabham in 1979. For a road car, it is not practical to use full carbon rotors because of the heat needed to get them to work properly.
    Queue a Sky F1 segment featuring Martin Brundle dialogue explaining the differences.

Meanwhile, I’ve got a set of Hope Pro IV fatbike hubs (150mm front, 197mm rear) laced up to my Nextie 65mm rims because PURPLE, and the hub set was under $400.00.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

Lost sheep
    Mar 2009
    Does anyone know of anywhere I could source a new 135mm q/r RearDiscSpaced front hub for delivery to UK without costing at least one kidney?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    So wait, you choose an inferior hub because you don't like black? Wow, I'm impressed... that you admitted it

It would be something if DT gave color options, but then I like black.

Couldn't you get the hubs anodized or powder coated?
    I've never broke a hope huh or even had to replace a single bearing in 14 years of riding....
    They are priced very closely to each other.
    Color>weight hah.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I've never broke a hope huh or even had to replace a single bearing in 14 years of riding....
    They are priced very closely to each other.
    Color>weight hah.
    The guys that have trouble with em weigh 430#'s, ride like a rhinoceros on Viagra while participating in Redbull Rampage!

Hearse black sux and color is where it's at...
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    I was going to suggest 907's front hub they were selling for like 35 bucks but it's missing from their site now.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Funny thing, I just found a complete set of wheels for a reasonable price.

Velocity Dually 27.5 45mm Wheelset

I heard some good things from my LBS about the velocity Dually rim, although a bit on the heavy side, but I have no clue about the Borealis hub.

Borealis Fat Bike Hubs Set - Borealis Fat Bikes Canada

Anybody with experience with those hubs?

turtles make me hot

Anybody with experience with those hubs?
    I remember the early ones were breaking left and right. They may have improved them. Being a clyde, I steer clear.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The DT350 hubs are probably the best bet if building a wheelset. I was thinking of doing that (tubeless rims I have no idea about, so process is ongoing) but today I saw the I9 BigRig 845 alloys and those looks fantastic. I'll probably go that route but if not, I'd build around the DTs.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
    The DT350 hubs are probably the best bet if building a wheelset. I was thinking of doing that (tubeless rims I have no idea about, so process is ongoing) but today I saw the I9 BigRig 845 alloys and those looks fantastic. I'll probably go that route but if not, I'd build around the DTs.
    I have Surly My Other Brother Darryls on my bike currently and the tubeless is stellar.
    Not sure if I9 sells the rims separately.
    I like turtles

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    No King fat hubs exist.
    wrong you can use them on a Pugsley or any other 135qr offset frame, FYI.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    wrong you can use them on a Pugsley or any other 135qr offset frame, FYI.
    Technically that's not a fat hub. It's a regular hub with a frame designed to work with it. For this discussion, a fat hub would be something wider than the 135 standard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have fat bikes with Hope's, DT Swiss 350's and a Chris King. Other than a broken QR adapter on the King, all have been very reliable. I was just turned on to a Halo fat bike hub as well, and it is really solid- high POE, great machining, plus really affordable. Worth a look.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    Technically that's not a fat hub. It's a regular hub with a frame designed to work with it. For this discussion, a fat hub would be something wider than the 135 standard.
    Ohh thanks I forget that the nouveau fat is strong on the outside. Lots of vintage fat running 135 mm symmetrical and offset still running around Alaska.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I was just turned on to a Halo fat bike hub as well, and it is really solid- high POE, great machining, plus really affordable. Worth a look.
    I've looked at this hub since it has the 170xM10 bolt on version, but availability is nill atm with a standard shimano style freehub. I realize that 177x12 is taking over from qr, but it would be nice to have some 170x10 thru axle or bolt-on options for the existing fat 170 frames out there.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Fatback still has a few hubsets available in the 170x10 flavor, but yeah, few and far between these days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I picked up Gen1 Hope Fatsno hubs a couple years ago. They ran pretty well, but I changed all the bearings at the start of each season, cracked a couple alloy freehub bodies and finally went to stainless freehub body and converted it to 12mm thru axle last year. It finally sh!t the bed this year....full fixed gear lockup, cracked the drive ring, shattered pawls, deformed freehub body. Pitched it.

Picked up a pair of Onyx hubs and they have been great. Engagement feels solid to me. Nice and quiet too. They were more than DT but cheaper than I9. I contemplated getting a Chris King 157 hub and having my mechanic machine a spacer for the rotor but decided to try these first. I like them a lot!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I've looked at this hub since it has the 170xM10 bolt on version, but availability is nill atm with a standard shimano style freehub. I realize that 177x12 is taking over from qr, but it would be nice to have some 170x10 thru axle or bolt-on options for the existing fat 170 frames out there.
    Still some 170 hubs on EBay, at several price points.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    ^ 170 with a 10mm thru axle or 170 10mm axle with 5mm QR?

I have a Novatec with the 10mm thru axle currently. I've seen the Fatback versions, but don't need a 135 front and they are not selling the rear alone. Probably because selling the 135 front is difficult.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.