mtbr member

What stuff do you take with you for a couple hour ride?

I'm just curious what you fat bikers take with you on a short ride for tire repair, tools, inflators, etc., and what do you pack it all in? Soon to be getting my first fat bike and would like to know, especially if there is anything out of the norm you'd bring. What do you bring to repair a tubeless ready tire besides just a tube?

mtbr member
    1.) Mini pump
    2.) tubeless plug kit
    3.) Chain Pup multi tool
    4.) Phone
    5.) Cash & credit card
    6.) Chain link

(Water is a given, it goes on every ride) For 2 hours, food is not necessary.
    Last edited by BlueCheesehead; 08-09-2018 at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Kinda depends on the trail. But at the most on a trail with better than average potential for tire damage, 2L hydration pack with a gel pack, mini multi tool, tire lever, patch kit (I run tubes), tube, air (CO2). But on average, I ride with a smaller 1.5L hydro pack with just patches and CO2. I primarily ride in North Texas, so hydration is my primary concern. 1.5-2 L gets me though a couple hours in 100 degrees with some water to spare.

Real life experience... very seldom need to repair anything on the trail. Same with flats. With today's tire tech and bike quality, flats and mechanical issues are almost a thing of the past unless is something catastrophic. But, what I don't bring and probably should are bandages! I far more frequently return to the trail head with bloody chins from rocks, and scraped shoulders from trees.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    I carry more than I need so I'm prepared for extended adventures at the drop of a hat.

On me:
    Wallet
    Phone
    Pocket Knife
    Bandana- a thousand uses
    Sunglasses most the year

On bike:
    Sunblock
    Bugspray
    Water bottle or 2
    Fire starter (lighter)
    Mini tool and patch kit
    Light (headlamp and/or bike light)
    Snack (bar or something similar)
    Drink supplement mix
    Mini first aid kit (bandages, ibuprofen, allergy stuff)
    Emergency blanket (those foil kind)
    Seasonal - long sleeve shirt or vest, skull cap, extra socks. Hand and toe warmers.
    CO2 cannister and nozzle
    Pressure gage

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Low pressure gauge. Mini pump. Swiss army knife. Pair of rubber gloves (saves grubby hands or cold numb finger repairs!). Spare inner inner tube (Spesh tube 2.3 - 3"). Reusable zip tie. 15-in-1 multitool including chain splitter. Puncture kit with tyre levers, glueless patches and a valve core remover. Wallet, included in there are a couple of plasters for minor injuries.

Thingamejigger
    that question is a bit broad..... weather and terrain/locality are just as important as time.....

Couple of local hours, I might take nothing more than a water bottle, if the weather is bad then its a whole different game (more clothes) and if I am in remote places then different yet again (tools and clothes and food perhaps)

mtbr member
    There's always the basics attached to my bike for trackside repairs.

But similarly to Flying_Scotsman, everything else depends on how remote I'm going, ie self rescue.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    I far more frequently return to the trail head with bloody chins from rocks, and scraped shoulders from trees.
    Those rocks must be big in North Texas
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    A spare tube , 2 tire spoons , 2 air cartridges w/ inflator , helmet light (doubles as flashlight) , spare chain link , bike specific multi tool , truck key , wallet , phone and a bottle of water. Plus gummy bears for snacks , because they're freakin delicious!
    Saying that you "hate" or are an "unapologetic critic" of a bike company doesn't make you insightful or interesting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I carry a Crank Bros multi-tool w/ chain breaker, Leatherman Squirt w/ needle nose pliers (to pull porcupine quills out my dog's mouth and open tire valves stems), Bacon Strips/tire plug, mini-pump, 2 oz of Orange Seal, handkerchief, 2 zip ties, chain master link, gummy bears, and paper towel. I stuff all this into an old water bottle on a cage on my bike. I have used all of this stuff at some point or another.

Also a phone in my pocket.

mtbr member
    Good stuff...keep it coming...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Sunglasses.
    iPhone.
    AirPods.
    Wallet.
    Cycling gloves.

G

mtbr member
    Nothing other than clothes, sunnies,

All fat, all the time.
    Fat bike riding means you need to bolt like 15 bottle holders on, frame bags, handlebar bags, seat bags. No matter the length of the trip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyomad View Post
    Sunglasses/ eye protection. 3L CamelBak and two regular frame water bottles. Afore mentioned containers are full of water. Wallet. Phone, or leave a note to where you're headed for someone or hell, even post it on social media if that's your thing. People just have to know where you are. Tire levers. Tube (in my case). Pump. Chain breaker. Needlenose/ diagonal sidecutter pliers. Metric Allen foldable wrenches. Handkerchief. Beers (like 2, don't get bloomin smashed). Maybe some peanuts or trail mix type snacks. Small first aid kit. ALWAYS a knife. ALWAYS some sort of fire whether it be a lighter, ferro rod, matches, whatever. Complete bicycle.
    You and I can be freinds.

Always a knife with me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Prototype View Post
    A spare tube , 2 tire spoons , 2 air cartridges w/ inflator , helmet light (doubles as flashlight) , spare chain link , bike specific multi tool , truck key , wallet , phone and a bottle of water. Plus gummy bears for snacks , because they're freakin delicious!
    I can't believe I forgot to put bear spray on there. Because bears , getting chased by dogs , and fast zombies.
    Saying that you "hate" or are an "unapologetic critic" of a bike company doesn't make you insightful or interesting.

rth009
    May 2010
    weapons, fake passports, pills, powders, hash and cash, and other compact, readily tradeable valuables . . . oh wait . . . wrong forum

mtbr member
    Any pics of what you use to carry your take-alongs on your ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jleguy View Post
    Specialized's smallest size frame bag mounted on my 2017 Fatboy Comp Carbon:

I've managed to stuff as much as an extra jersey and gloves in there along with my iPhone 8 Plus, sunglasses, wallet, and AirPods. This side has the large zipped pocket opening. The other side has two smaller zipped pockets which fit my wallet and the AirPods nicely. All the zippered are weather resistant, the bag is too.

G

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Crank Bros multitool. Agua. An extra tube. Old Blackburn Mammoth mini pump. Either a saddle bag or hydration pack.
    House keys, wallet. Phone.

mtbr member
    Small saddle bag and jersey pocket hold all I need. When I go with a Camelback then I forego the saddlebag. Pics do not add much to that description.

Professional Crastinator
    Ninja sword
    Fire extinguisher
    Compact pistol
    Awesome Strap

Alright, those aren't even funny anymore.

For a "couple hour ride", in the snow, I have a small seat bag with a protected inner tube always on the bike, then in a small bag I have bike tools, tires plugs, mini pump (it takes < 10 minutes to inflate a dead flat 26x4.8" tire), lighter, extra layer, folding knife... and I think one of those commando cable saws is still tucked in there somewhere.

On the beach, it's the same, but with less clothes.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Zombie repellent and a bottle of water.

Name:  Zombie.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  11.6 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    3.) Chain Pup multi tool
    There‘s a classic! Love those things, but lost mine ages ago.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a small Evoc backpack I carry everything in which sits up out of the way on my shoulders rather covering my back like a normal backpack. In it I carry a spare tube, mini track pump, tyre levers, mini tool, quick link pliers with quick links, multi-tool, pressure gauge, arm warmers, jacket and emergency snack.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    There‘s a classic! Love those things, but lost mine ages ago.
    I just got mine this summer. I think it was Green Mountain Bikes out of Vermont, or New Hampshire. New old stock. You have to call them. When he told me the price I asked if he had two... I now have one for the fatty and one for my road bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    I just got mine this summer. I think it was Green Mountain Bikes out of Vermont, or New Hampshire. New old stock. You have to call them. When he told me the price I asked if he had two... I now have one for the fatty and one for my road bike.
    You got the last ones...I just called and they have no more...they guy laughed when I asked for it...

mtbr member
    You got the last ones...I just called and they have no more...they guy laughed when I asked for it...
    Sorry that they were the last ones.

Great little tool. Apparently the public wanted a more complex multi tool that does no more and weighs 5x as much as the Chain Pup.