What?! No HED BFD rim thread yet?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

What?! No HED BFD rim thread yet?

Is nobody even a little bit excited about 100mm rims that weigh less than regular 26" (less than 30mm) rims? Will this be a market bomb? Already perceived as vaporware? Totally unnecessary product?
    Or are they flying under the radar a bit with product intro to avoid availability pitfalls.
    All I know is I don't need them, but I want them badly anyway. And they probably won't work on my (currently owned) fatbike.
    You look like a dork in those capri pants.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    the link, for the forum search tool challenged among us :P

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/hed...ms-896990.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    They are making aluminum rims too!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post

I'm referring to the 100mm version. Which is 15 better now, isn't it. An extra 15mm is a pretty exciting development. In certain circles anyway.

mtbr member
    I'd love some more information on the aluminum rims if anyone has any.
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2019 Salsa Journeyman Apex 650B
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by willydoit View Post
    Is nobody even a little bit excited about 100mm rims that weigh less than regular 26" (less than 30mm) rims? Will this be a market bomb? Already perceived as vaporware? Totally unnecessary product?
    Or are they flying under the radar a bit with product intro to avoid availability pitfalls.
    All I know is I don't need them, but I want them badly anyway. And they probably won't work on my (currently owned) fatbike.
    I am excited enough to have called my LBS today to let them know I wanted a set.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I take one look at how beat up my Rolling Darryls are, and that is all it takes to know that I would never choose carbon for a wheel material on my fat bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I take one look at how beat up my Rolling Darryls are, and that is all it takes to know that I would never choose carbon for a wheel material on my fat bike.
    And by the looks of the outer profile, a grime collector, if that is important to you.
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

All fat, all the time.
    You think aluminum is tougher than carbon?

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post

I guess some think BD is the same as BFD and have their own challenges.

Anchorage, AK
    My local bike shop called to order me one of these 100mm carbon rims for the rear to go with my 85mm front and HED said they won't be ready until next year. Bummer.
    --Peace

Laramie, Wyoming
    You aren't the only one who is bummed. I'm ready for them now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    You think aluminum is tougher than carbon?
    I think Aluminium takes impacts from rocks and other nasty stuff better than carbon does, yes. Am I wrong?

Laramie, Wyoming
    I think Aluminium takes impacts from rocks and other nasty stuff better than carbon does, yes. Am I wrong?
    I'm not picking a fight jons, but I would disagree. After a summer's worth of riding on carbon rims, they look better than any other dirt rim I've had. I think they have a little give to them that alloy rims don't have. That being said, it might be possible to still ride on a alloy rim after really nasty rock that maybe destroys the integrity of the carbon. Who knows.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    I'm not picking a fight jons, but I would disagree. After a summer's worth of riding on carbon rims, they look better than any other dirt rim I've had. I think they have a little give to them that alloy rims don't have. That being said, it might be possible to still ride on a alloy rim after really nasty rock that maybe destroys the integrity of the carbon. Who knows.
    I have ZERO experience with carbon bike parts, but was always under the impression that carbon didn't like impacts very much. I don't really have any first hand experience to back up my opinion, so would be excited to know how others (fat bike)carbon wheels are holding up.

Most important to me would be the conditions they are being subjected to and the size of the rider. I do a lot of very rocky river bank, hidden under water rocks, off trails type of riding. The deep gouges and dents from rock strikes can back my story. Remember that when I (a 240lb rider) smack a rock, root, log, there is a lot more inertia and force than a 160lb rider.

Now I have been giving serious thought to Derby wheels for my FS 29er, but that bike is reserved for riding trails that are well established, and with enough air in the tire to prevent rock strikes. But my flows also have 1-2mm deep gouges in them from some techy rock riddled riding, and would be interested to know how carbon would fair given the same situation. What would also concern me with wider wheels on my 29er, is that the rim is getting much closer in width to the tire, which means it will be more prone to coming in contact with stuff along the trail?

mtbr member
    Eh, I'm a big football player of a man, and I rode a carbon Ibis Mojo for three years weighing close to 260. I beat the unholy tar out of it - hit almost 30mph on some downhills, crashed it, and had rocks slamming into the down tube constantly at high speed due to being in San Diego back country.

It chipped the clear coat a bit, but that's all. I sold it to go 29er. If I ever went carbon again I'd grab another Ibis in a heartbeat.

Carbon's main problem is that some companies are in a weight weenie war. Everyone wants to shout about how few grams their frame weighs, and really, pound for pound if carbon is laid up right, has the right resin treatment, it can take ALL sorts of abuse.

Carbon's second problem is that you can't see what's going on. You can literally design a piece of it to be exactly the same thickness but have completely different properties, impart flex in some directions more than others, etc. - and crappy work can all be hidden behind a layer of decorative weave. One of my riding buddies back then had been in CF design for 30-ish years, and he broke that stuff in labs for a living. He would tell me which brands to avoid and which ones to patronize due to their testing.

Look at the Santa Cruz breakage tests for carbon MTBs on YouTube - their carbon bikes outperform their aluminum ones in every way, including impact resistance. It can TOTALLY be done.

The only thing to really watch out for is to use a torque wrench and obey the torque specs on your parts, CF doesn't respond well to clamping force. It's stronger than you might fear, so if you're good you can learn to tighten it by touch, but it doesn't respond as well to metals with regard to being crushed by too-tight wrenching.

So, I'd say - it depends more on the company than the carbon. Well-done carbon is the best stuff ever. It's just a bit too spendy for how hard I ride anymore.

mtbr member
    I think that good carbon rims are tougher than alloy. Once you start to scratch aluminum with a rock it tends to pull the rock into the material further with the little wedge of material that is being separated. I know from running aluminum canoes and dories in whitewater that they really tend to hang up on rocks where a fiberglass boat would slide over them. My guess is that a 1mm deep scratch in an alloy rim would be something you could just see on a carbon rim.

Impact resistance is also higher. The main drawback is that if you do break a carbon rim it is going to stay broken, you are not going to be able to bend it back.

I have some 27.5 x 40mm Derby rims that I really like. But I'm not hard on stuff.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Ben, I think you have nailed it. I cringe when I hit a rock but I've yet to see any issues with my carbon fat bike rims in the rocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You guys are gonna cost me $$$!

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    My local bike shop called to order me one of these 100mm carbon rims for the rear to go with my 85mm front and HED said they won't be ready until next year. Bummer.
    I spoke with a friend at shop that does a lot of fat bike stuff today and he said that HED would have them out in 3-4 weeks.

jonshonda, the only sport that is cheap is walking. But, if you have to have an excuse, blame it on us.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I spoke to HED a week ago and they gave me about the same info alphazz has, availability in October.

Anchorage, AK
    I just spoke to them today. They said "about the first of 2015." Sounds like they have just recently identified an issue that they are working though.
    --Peace

Laramie, Wyoming
    Yesterday it was three to four weeks and they will have my hubs tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just spoke to HED today - they are saying early 2015. Bummer but I would rather have a solid product then get them right away.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt Cycles View Post
    Just spoke to HED today - they are saying early 2015. Bummer but I would rather have a solid product then get them right away.
    Yeah, my LBS called yesterday and they said at least January. Guess I'm going with the regular Big Deals.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt Cycles View Post
    It might be early 2015 for future orders but they are getting BFD rims/wheels out this week.

All fat, all the time.
    I'll let you know how my nextie's are doing in a year or two. I can tell you, my rear wheel (Rolling Darryl) is looking terrible after a few years of all-year-long-riding. It still holes air, but there are some nasty dings & scrapes in it. If I was a betting man I'd say the carbon's will look better after the same amount of time.
    I'll be beating on this set more since I'm riding some rougher terrain now out west.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    sounds like the first batch went out. Has anyone fit a bud and lou on the BFD in a Yampa frame?

any opinions on the 100 vs. the 85s?

Laramie, Wyoming
    Andrew, I put mine on a Yampa with the Bud and Lou. Of course there isn't a problem with the front tire, but the rear is very tight. I answer I got from Borealis was that they hadn't tested the bike with these rims.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Alphazz-
    thanks. So is it so tight that you are afraid to run the lou on the BFD or you cut the tread a little or its tight but you run them and love them?

thanks again

Laramie, Wyoming
    Andrew, I like the rims. I do use them but the tire rubs on the frame some. They can't be used at higher pressures because the tire gets larger and touches the frame. 5 psi is about the max they can be ridden at. It's not the tread that rubs, it's the sidewall.