mtbr member

what new frame??

It's come to my attention that the 100mm threaded bb is no longer the standard. My current fat bike is a 9z7 aluminum whiteout. 150/197, 100mm threaded bb. Lets just say I'd like to stick with those numbers, what light(ish) steel frame do I go for? I kinda want something sexy.

mtbr member
    What are you looking for that your current 907 doesn't have? And who says the 100mm BB is no longer the standard? There are many BB standards...

mtbr member
    Everything now appears to come with a pf132 or something.

For starters, not purple. I realize that's not really a great reason to buy a new frame though. I'd like a slim steel ride. That kind of noodly goodness is appealing. That whiteout kind of rides like a barge, for lack of a better term.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The Matter Benefat would be a choice if they're still in production. The website has been dead for long time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Steel only, I'd say a Wednesday: Short chainstays, good quality, fair price, no purple.

There are other steel frames, most of them have long chainstays which are decidely not sexy.

Can't be convinced to consider aluminum? If yes, then the Wozo in a lovely shade of light blue, really looks great with almost any accent color. My Wozo is blue, red and purple

If you have the cash, custom is the way to go in steel. For ~$1500, I'd suggest a talk with Walt at Waltworks.

Wanna ride bikes?
    If your looking for a steel frame it absolutely should come with a threaded BB IMO. I'm super happy with my Wednesday. Love the geo, and the threaded BB is what sold me on it.

Steel frames: Soma Sandworm, Advocate Watchman, Titanium O'Beast - Carver Bikes, Chumba Ursa Major

The Chumba is the only one on that list with a 197mm rear end. Advocate and Surly get my vote for bang for the buck.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

turtles make me hot
    Not exactly right but how about an Ice Cream Truck with a Wheels Mfg bottom bracket?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Steel only, I'd say a Wednesday: Short chainstays, good quality, fair price, no purple.

There are other steel frames, most of them have long chainstays which are decidely not sexy.

Can't be convinced to consider aluminum? If yes, then the Wozo in a lovely shade of light blue, really looks great with almost any accent color. My Wozo is blue, red and purple

If you have the cash, custom is the way to go in steel. For ~$1500, I'd suggest a talk with Walt at Waltworks.
    Yes absolutely, if the chain stays are too long the bike is complete rubbish and should be burned. Everyone rides the same exact way and in the same exact area as Nurse Ben so he knows whatís best for everyone. Thanks for posting Nurse Ben.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Maybe take a look at Quiring cycles in Michigan in any colour combo you want!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The closest I can think of is a 509 Jabit. But has 177 rear end, however, can still fit 5Ē tires. . Nice looking frame, though.

Ambassador of Chub
    Proudfoot 'Jester'

REEB 'Donkadonk'
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There was a time when you werenít such an asshat ... I think Iíll just block you , seems the sensible thing to do. Thanks again for playing!

Quote Originally Posted by ak-rider View Post

Yes absolutely, if the chain stays are too long the bike is complete rubbish and should be burned. Everyone rides the same exact way and in the same exact area as Nurse Ben so he knows whatís best for everyone. Thanks for posting Nurse Ben.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    There was a time when you werenít such an asshat ... I think Iíll just block you , seems the sensible thing to do. Thanks again for playing!
    Sounds great buddy! The only bad thing is you won't be able to read how much I value the opinion of someone who rides in the desert but loves to tell people what works best for snow.

mtbr member
    Before you throw too many stones though, you suggested an aluminum bike after I said my current bike is, in fact, aluminum. Not that you donít deserve to have a beef with anyone in whichever thread is available, but just take a step back every now and again.

lots of other great suggestions that donít come in a 197 rear end too.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Before you throw too many stones though, you suggested an aluminum bike after I said my current bike is, in fact, aluminum. Not that you donít deserve to have a beef with anyone in whichever thread is available, but just take a step back every now and again.

Not sure if there's a hint of sarcasm in there but it sounds a bit unappreciative. You came here asking for help. Understand that if I listed a couple bikes that are just outside your requirements it's because those are the best options I found and I'm trying to give you options. You weren't very specific about a few things (like giving a budget) so I threw in a couple extra bikes. Sometimes people who ask vague questions are flexible on certain things if it's the right bike.

It seems the availability of 197 steel fat bikes is quite limited.

I also found the Matter Cycles Benefat, the website appears to be down but you can find other reviews. Don't know if they still make it but it looks cool.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Im not sure how I can reply to that without digging my hole deeper.

Given the direction of this thread, it appears that once again Iím looking for a unicorn.

mtbr member
    Some decent suggestions already, and plenty of snarky comments! As mentioned by somebody else, just because a bunch of new bikes come with a PF something or other BB setup, doesn't mean it's the new standard or the best setup. It might just mean it's the cheapest for the frame manufacturer. I, and many others, still think a threaded BB is the best setup. I will not buy any frame that doesn't have a threaded BB, it's just a more worry free setup. You are also asking for sexy, lightish, steel, and 197 rear end. Oh, and you want it sexy! that's alot of stuff and steel and lightish don't usually go together, and pretty much any steel frame will be heavier than what you have now. We also have no idea what kind of geometry you like.

My suggestion is to take a look at the Chumba Ursa Major. Steel, 197 rear, and 100mm threaded BB. I bought one last year and it's been great. Can't say it's light though. There's also a Ti version if you want sexy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I think he's onto something. You do get a little carried away with the short chainstay thing in most of your posts.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Given the direction of this thread, it appears that once again Iím looking for a unicorn.
    Given the options that people have recommended so far, why don't you give some feedback about what you like or don't like about the available frames? Chumba, ICT, Reeb, Benefat, Custom.

What are you looking for that those frames don't offer?

What do you think about just getting a custom frame and ending up with exactly what you want?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Ambassador of Chub
    Im not sure how I can reply to that without digging my hole deeper.
    You could start by defining what you want a little more clearly. Are you saying you want to stick with a 100mm BB, for example? If so, your options in 197 rear spacing (plus 'sexy' steel) are going to be quite limited. If you're willing to go beyond that BB standard, more options open up that are worth considering. But from your post above, it's a little hard to tell if you are, or aren't.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ exactly, OP you need to give some feedback otherwise we're just guessing.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    I think he's onto something. You do get a little carried away with the short chainstay thing in most of your posts.
    ...and speculating on the performance of bikes on which he has no actual riding experience.

mtbr member
    I donít want a pf B.B., really. Otherwise Iíd probably have gotten a (not very sexy) ice cream truck, because itís relatively inexpensive.

I COULD replace the spindle on my nextsl cranks and convert to a 132mm or whatever the new measurement is, but Iíd like to keep my wheels (especially) and just move my current bike to a new frame and fork, like I did when I broke the chiner and picked up the whiteout.

Performance is relative, and certainly secondary to ride. Itís a fat bike, after all.

Edit: as far as a custom frame is concerned, itís certainly within the realm of reasonable, although usually more expensive than a factory/off the shelf frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

mtbr member
    I donít want a pf B.B., really. Otherwise Iíd probably have gotten a (not very sexy) ice cream truck, because itís relatively inexpensive.

I COULD replace the spindle on my nextsl cranks and convert to a 132mm or whatever the new measurement is, but Iíd like to keep my wheels (especially) and just move my current bike to a new frame and fork, like I did when I broke the chiner and picked up the whiteout.

Performance is relative, and certainly secondary to ride. Itís a fat bike, after all.

Edit: as far as a custom frame is concerned, itís certainly within the realm of reasonable, although usually more expensive than a factory/off the shelf frame.
    Again, what is it that you want that your current frame doesn't have/do? So you want all of your parts to swap over easily.

'Performance is relative, and certainly secondary to ride' Please elaborate what you mean by this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Exactly, their idiotic decision to use a press fit bottom bracket is why I wouldnít consider an ICT either. The Wednesday has a threaded BB but 177 rear so it wonít work for you. Also, Iíve not read anywhere that it can fit anything bigger than a 4.6. I looked at one in person and it didnít have a ton of clearance around the stock 3.8 rear tire.

REEB uses a threaded BB but doesnít offer 197 rear and 100mm BB. The Salsa Mukluk does but itís aluminum. The bikes direct lurch has the measurements you want in steel but is offered only as a complete bike.

mtbr member
    I hate to say it, since I do like pretty much everything about the frame but I must... the Advocate Watchman has a PF BB! I also like the Wednesday, but I wonder how many spacers I'd put on the steerer to get the bar at the height I might want. The Sandworm is cool, has the capability for a belt drive, but it's heavy.

With so many small fat boutique shops out there, I think you are bound to find something but the search may be long and winding through the pages of mtbr.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Again, what is it that you want that your current frame doesn't have/do? So you want all of your parts to swap over easily.

'Performance is relative, and certainly secondary to ride' Please elaborate what you mean by this.
    Iíd like some springy steel noodlyness so I might be inclined to ride it more often than only when thereís snow on the ground.
    Somebody else was yapping about performance and stuff, I was addressing that. But in generally, ride quality>performance when it comes to fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Not exactly right but how about an Ice Cream Truck with a Wheels Mfg bottom bracket?
    Does Wheels Mfg make a BB that fits the Ice Cream Truck? I don't see one in their catalog. I'd buy one if they did.

Chipper - you'd love the Wednesday. It's worth rebuilding your rear wheel, IMO.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    Does Wheels Mfg make a BB that fits the Ice Cream Truck? I don't see one in their catalog. I'd buy one if they did.

Chipper - you'd love the Wednesday. It's worth rebuilding your rear wheel, IMO.
    Fat Bike Bottom Brackets
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    "121mm BB Shell Width". ICT BB is 132mm wide, no?

turtles make me hot
    You got me. I think you're right. I wonder if it could be machined down 5mm per side.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    You got me. I think you're right.
    Darn, I was hoping to be wrong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    "I'd like a slim steel ride. "

Did I misread this comment?

You will find that long chainstay bikes ride "like a barge", which is why I suggested a short chainstay.

"But in generally, ride quality>performance when it comes to fat bikes. "

^ I whole heartedly disagree with this comment. My Wozo is very similar geo-wise to my Fatillac. I'm running a 140mm travel fork, up to 27.5 x 4.5 wheels, it is no where near a dog, and it's fun as hell to ride year round, performance wise it is exceptional fat or not.

At this point you are kinda all over the place, so it might behoove you to ride some bikes you don't know and let that experience inform your decision.

We are all making suggestions based on our experiences, which are likely very different from your experiences. Many Whiteout riders love the way their bike rides.

Personally, the only thing I pay attention to, as far as forum suggestions go, is when something not already on my radar receives good press AND I have a chance to ride/see it for myself.

Since you seem to know what you want, what is it you want from the forum?

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I hate to say it, since I do like pretty much everything about the frame but I must... the Advocate Watchman has a PF BB! I also like the Wednesday, but I wonder how many spacers I'd put on the steerer to get the bar at the height I might want. The Sandworm is cool, has the capability for a belt drive, but it's heavy.

With so many small fat boutique shops out there, I think you are bound to find something but the search may be long and winding through the pages of mtbr.
    Jones SG 2.5 Aluminum Loop H-Bar - Jones Bikeswhat new frame??-img_1540.jpg

I just put these Jones bars on my Krampus for exactly that reason. Worked out perfectly if you like swept bars.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    "I'd like a slim steel ride. "

Did I misread this comment?

You will find that long chainstay bikes ride "like a barge", which is why I suggested a short chainstay.

"But in generally, ride quality>performance when it comes to fat bikes. "

^ I whole heartedly disagree with this comment. My Wozo is very similar geo-wise to my Fatillac. I'm running a 140mm travel fork, up to 27.5 x 4.5 wheels, it is no where near a dog, and it's fun as hell to ride year round, performance wise it is exceptional fat or not.

At this point you are kinda all over the place, so it might behoove you to ride some bikes you don't know and let that experience inform your decision.

We are all making suggestions based on our experiences, which are likely very different from your experiences. Many Whiteout riders love the way their bike rides.

Personally, the only thing I pay attention to, as far as forum suggestions go, is when something not already on my radar receives good press AND I have a chance to ride/see it for myself.

Since you seem to know what you want, what is it you want from the forum?
    Again, I was asking for suggestions for a steel fat bike frame with a 100mm threaded B.B. and 150/197 spacing.

Your nuts if you think Iím all over the place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    CJ, I believe that bottom bracket covers both 132mm and 121mm PF. I have one in the box that I was going to use on a Beargrease and never did and I think it has a very large threaded section that covers both bb widths. Call them to verify or if I think of it and can find it I will look tonight for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Chumba Ursa is a sweet frame if you must have 197mm, as short as a 435mm chainstay, $1250.

Surly ICT is less expensive, but the chainstays are 450mm, $800.

But for $1500 you can get a custom steel from Walt... or spring for aluminum and get a custom Ventana El Gordo.

Or consider a rear wheel rebuild and expand your options to include a 177mm hub spacing

I'd never consider 197mm spacing except for a dedicated 5" snow only bike, so I know how you feel.

mtbr member
    Chumba Ursa is a sweet frame if you must have 197mm, as short as a 435mm chainstay, $1250.

Surly ICT is less expensive, but the chainstays are 450mm, $800.

But for $1500 you can get a custom steel from Walt... or spring for aluminum and get a custom Ventana El Gordo.

Or consider a rear wheel rebuild and expand your options to include a 177mm hub spacing

I'd never consider 197mm spacing except for a dedicated 5" snow only bike, so I know how you feel.
    Yup, the Ursa is a great choice, and made in the USA. I run mine with 27.5x4.5 tires.

BTW, all Chumba fatbikes and frames are $400 off right now, so you can get the Ursa steel frame with Surly fork for under $1K, great deal for a USA made steel fatbike frameset! I believe it comes with a headset as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yup, the Ursa is a great choice, and made in the USA. I run mine with 27.5x4.5 tires.

BTW, all Chumba fatbikes and frames are $400 off right now, so you can get the Ursa steel frame with Surly fork for under $1K, great deal for a USA made steel fatbike frameset! I believe it comes with a headset as well.
    How do you get this deal? I see $1250 on their website. Bike looks pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's a killer deal, 2/3 retail, sweet find.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    That deal on the Chumba Ursa is tempting. I could move all the parts from the ICT over...

Hey Chipper, have you considered the Fatskey? You know you want it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangie View Post
    How do you get this deal? I see $1250 on their website. Bike looks pretty sweet.
    Just add the bike or frame to your cart, and when you go to checkout there will automatically be a $400 discount.

Also note, you can buy the frame alone, frame with a couple of different fork options, or a complete bike, all get the $400 discount.

mtbr member
    That deal on the Chumba Ursa is tempting. I could move all the parts from the ICT over...

Hey Chipper, have you considered the Fatskey? You know you want it!
    As much as I love my road bike, the Lynskeyís with the twisted tubes do nothing for me. If it had straight tubes, Iíd be jonesing. I could probably justify it by combining the km and fatty into one with two sets of hoops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    delete
    Last edited by ak-rider; 01-09-2018 at 09:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    delete
    Last edited by ak-rider; 01-09-2018 at 09:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Maybe itís not as critical because itís a steel frame but your seat post is crazy high. I just went through a warranty issue with my other fatbike because the frame cracked at the weld where the seat tube and top tube meet. The warranty Dept said the LBS sold me a bike too small for me and I had too much seat tube exposed. I argued, showed them on their own sizing chart that I fit that size frame and sent photos of the witness marks on my seat post that it wasnít over extended. Itís just something that I keep in mind now as Iíve been without that bike for close to two months now.
    Hey, you've got to support your local bike shop where everybody is a medium.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just add the bike or frame to your cart, and when you go to checkout there will automatically be a $400 discount.

Also note, you can buy the frame alone, frame with a couple of different fork options, or a complete bike, all get the $400 discount.
    Got it thanks. This us really tempting. Everything but my dropper would swap right over. I see the external routed fox transfer is even available in a 150mm length and would fit.

turtles make me hot
    Maybe itís not as critical because itís a steel frame but your seat post is crazy high. I just went through a warranty issue with my other fatbike because the frame cracked at the weld where the seat tube and top tube meet. The warranty Dept said the LBS sold me a bike too small for me and I had too much seat tube exposed. I argued, showed them on their own sizing chart that I fit that size frame and sent photos of the witness marks on my seat post that it wasnít over extended. Itís just something that I keep in mind now as Iíve been without that bike for close to two months now.
    It's a little bit of an optical illusion since I was taking the picture from above the bike. The minimum insertion line on the post is a little down there.
    I cracked my aluminum 907 frame with a setback post. A friend welded it and I replaced it with a straight post and a 10mm longer stem. The welded frame is surviving. Can't really do much about it. I buy XL frames.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Those steel Chumba Ursa Majors are nice and that is a very good deal. I replaced an aluminum 907 with one and really enjoyed it.

mtbr member
    I will reiterate what others have said, give Walt a call. A custom steel bike rides how you design it and has every bell and whistle you think are cool. Working through the design process will really have you thinking about every option, with valuable input and guidance from the builder. Riding the end result is very rewarding knowing the choices you made are working for you on every ride.

And since this thread needs more pictures here is my Waltworks

what new frame??-20170318_145757.jpg

what new frame??-img_20171126_161255074-copy.jpg

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^

I think the other thing that makes the OP's particular request even harder is that 100mm BB shells are often paired with 170/177 rear hubs, and 120mm BB shells are more frequently paired with 190/197 rear spacing.

This is probably why your getting a lot of 177mm recommendations.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Yeah, itís totally my luck I end up with the oddball setup. Literally: story of my life.
    My current leaning is towards a weds and a new rear hub, but Iím once again not married to it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, itís totally my luck I end up with the oddball setup. Literally: story of my life.
    My current leaning is towards a weds and a new rear hub, but Iím once again not married to it.
    I run 27.5 x 4.5 Barbes with a 177mm hub, works great, previously ran 26 x 4.8 and it was a good combo. You could always go with a Wedsnesday instead of a custom, use the money saved to build new wheels in the 27.5 format.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's a little bit of an optical illusion since I was taking the picture from above the bike. The minimum insertion line on the post is a little down there.
    I cracked my aluminum 907 frame with a setback post. A friend welded it and I replaced it with a straight post and a 10mm longer stem. The welded frame is surviving. Can't really do much about it. I buy XL frames.
    People think the minimum insertion depth will keep their frame from cracking. This is incorrect, a longer lever will exert more force, no matter how much insertion. The exposed seat post must be proportional to the frame size.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    IIRC, the Rad Grizz has a 100mm English threaded BB and a 190 rear. Don't know much about them.

https://radbicycleco.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    delete
    Last edited by ak-rider; 01-09-2018 at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    I run 27.5 x 4.5 Barbes with a 177mm hub, works great, previously ran 26 x 4.8 and it was a good combo. You could always go with a Wedsnesday instead of a custom, use the money saved to build new wheels in the 27.5 format.
    I donít want a bfat wheelset. I have a b+ wheelset now that sits unused.
    And seeing stuff unused is what spawned this thread. I just want a fat bike that makes me want to ride it, as opposed to the squish, monkey, gravel, or road bike. I have too much stuff, and not enough time.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    People think the minimum insertion depth will keep their frame from cracking. This is incorrect, a longer lever will exert more force, no matter how much insertion. The exposed seat post must be proportional to the frame size.
    Well, until they start making bigger frames, this is what I have to work with.
    The aluminum fat bike frame cracked because of the setback post, short stem, 29+ rear wheel and me riding it like a cracked out rhino. Perfect storm. Only frame I've ever cracked. I did break the chainstays on a Specialized fully but Spesh said it was a heat treat issue.
    I like turtles

Live Free & Ride
    If Titanium is an option and just a frame only, this will go against the usual steel or alum listed above. Get this frame, remove the Bluto (sell for $300+), remove the Moto frame logos, and build it to spec! Better than most steel, carbon or alum frames out there....other than custom built. Break the mold and DO IT!

Save up to 60% off new Titanium Rockshox Bluto Equipped Suspension fork Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Titanium NightTrain Bullet 2x10 SRAM
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 C-dale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not great geo.

The Ursa Major in ti would be nice, but quite pricey.

If you want a soft ride, ti is pretty sweet, though Iíve found it to be kinda fragile; cracked welds.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    If Titanium is an option and just a frame only, this will go against the usual steel or alum listed above. Get this frame, remove the Bluto (sell for $300+), remove the Moto frame logos, and build it to spec! Better than most steel, carbon or alum frames out there....other than custom built. Break the mold and DO IT!

Save up to 60% off new Titanium Rockshox Bluto Equipped Suspension fork Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Titanium NightTrain Bullet 2x10 SRAM

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    delete
    Last edited by ak-rider; 01-09-2018 at 09:55 PM.

turtles make me hot
    My bike that cracked was a KHS and I saw a thread where a guy with a 907 had a crack in the same area. The frames look quite similar like they came out of the same Taiwanese factory with different drop out options. With your size and an XL frame appearing to run small, I wonder if a custom frame might be worth the money?
    That was my 907. May have to try custom. Actually, I think Ventana makes XXL frames.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    44 bikes. He makes steel frames all day. They are sexy and high quality. Also check his instagram for more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    At only 140lbs, I have no idea what a flexible frame would feel like, but I think the Wednesday is pretty stout. May want to check around on that.

The Chumba Ursa would probably be my first choice if I was starting over today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    If your looking for a steel frame it absolutely should come with a threaded BB IMO.
    Why is a threaded BB on a steel bike important, or more important than on a frame of a different material?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
    Why is a threaded BB on a steel bike important, or more important than on a frame of a different material?
    Because frames made out of carbon or aluminum are expendable. Steel lasts a lifetime.

Wanna ride bikes?
    K.i.s.s.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    44 bikes. He makes steel frames all day. They are sexy and high quality. Also check his instagram for more.
    oh man... that thing looks the business. I want.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Because frames made out of carbon or aluminum are expendable. Steel lasts a lifetime.
    Whose lifetime, a chicken or perhaps a gerbil

I ride my bikes for a season or two, by then theyíre beat and ready for a replacement.

mtbr member
    Whose lifetime, a chicken or perhaps a gerbil

I ride my bikes for a season or two, by then theyíre beat and ready for a replacement.
    Iím like the eleventieth owner of an old canti era karate monkey thatís had a bazillion different configurations with no signs of slowing. It isnít going anywhere anytime soon either. To toss a setup every season or two for the most part seems wasteful.
    I get it though, there really is nothing like a freshie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nah, I buy low, build it myself, ride it, sell it, money loss is minimal, been doing this for years.

If I rode a commuter, toured, did roadie stuff, or liked to collect bikes, I'd have a few oldies sitting around, but for the most part when I ride it's mountain only, tech and dh, riding for thrills and fitness, so I wouldn't ride a bike that can't do what I need it to do.

I only have two bikes; sharing three wheelsets, a couple municycles, and then my wife as a Levo FSR ebike.

Iím like the eleventieth owner of an old canti era karate monkey thatís had a bazillion different configurations with no signs of slowing. It isnít going anywhere anytime soon either. To toss a setup every season or two for the most part seems wasteful.
    I get it though, there really is nothing like a freshie.

mtbr member
    I just saw my first weds in person. In theory, that scratches most of the boxes. I also saw @bikeNY's chumba frameset f/s here.
    These are the pains of indecision about throwing a decent chunk of $ at something that isn't technically broken, that I've also been putting plenty of miles in on this winter, for a change.

pricing between the chumba, and weds and new hub/essential hardware are pretty much a wash, fwiw.

mtbr member
    I just saw my first weds in person. In theory, that scratches most of the boxes. I also saw @bikeNY's chumba frameset f/s here.
    These are the pains of indecision about throwing a decent chunk of $ at something that isn't technically broken, that I've also been putting plenty of miles in on this winter, for a change.

pricing between the chumba, and weds and new hub/essential hardware are pretty much a wash, fwiw.
    You know you want the Chumba!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Seriously, at that price who'd wait?

You know you want the Chumba!!!

mtbr member
    Brrrrrrrrrump!

I had been leaning towards the Wednesday, but for those of you more informed already, have any input about the new ICT? It certainly looks more schralpy.
    Off to see the specs.

mtbr member
    Yeah, just read the short article about the new ICT... I think that will tick many people's boxes... Heck, I'm not a fan of the wider BBs but the new ICT may get me to run after it.

mtbr member
    After sifting through the new ICT specs and thread, Iím still leaning towards a weds and re-lacing my wheel into a narrower hub.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Brrrrrrrrrump!

I had been leaning towards the Wednesday, but for those of you more informed already, have any input about the new ICT? It certainly looks more schralpy.
    Off to see the specs.
    I love my old ICT, and the new one is a smidge better in a lot of areas. I strongly recommend it.

Wednesday is bad ass if you don't care about running the widest tires. ICT and Wednesday are super similar. My preference is the ICT, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I love my old ICT, and the new one is a smidge better in a lot of areas. I strongly recommend it.

Wednesday is bad ass if you don't care about running the widest tires. ICT and Wednesday are super similar. My preference is the ICT, though.
    For my applications, I canít see needing/wanting anything bigger than a 4.6.
    Coupled with the need for bits and bobs to go one way or the next, I think the weds makes the most sense for me. Iím all ears to selling points either way.

turtles make me hot
    After sifting through the new ICT specs and thread, Iím still leaning towards a weds and re-lacing my wheel into a narrower hub.
    One of my friends has a Wednesday and a Moonlander. Originally, the Moonie was supposed to be his sand/snow bike and Wednesday for trail assaults but now he's having a hard time justifying the Moonlander's existence in his garage.
    I like turtles