What kind of boots with platforms?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What kind of boots with platforms?

I already have Shimano MW80 boots to use with clipless pedals. I'm thinking I may want to use boots with platform pedals as well. Any suggestions on what type of boots to use?
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That is a question I'm asking myself. The boots should also be warm to ride at conditions below -20°C and not too bulky. So what are you guys wearing in Alaska?

Black Sheep rising

You could try these...

Proper!
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member

Keen Targhee Mid II. Have been my goto boots for winter riding with BMX platforms.Their sloe could be grippier on snow/ice, but I'm on the bike most of the time and they stick to the pedal's pins nicely. They are also waterproof and provide decent ankle support for crashing.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by utabintarbo View Post

Proper!
    Also a good solution if you are having standover issues...

But i prefer these ones :

Adidas gsg 9.2
    Watertight, relatively light, warm and very grippy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Keen Targhee Mid II. Have been my goto boots for winter riding with BMX platforms.Their sloe could be grippier on snow/ice, but I'm on the bike most of the time and they stick to the pedal's pins nicely. They are also waterproof and provide decent ankle support for crashing.
    Nice Vik, my new Keen's (Summit Country's) arrived yesterday. I like to carry small snow shoes on my rack so I can ditch the bike and "climb the peak" as necessary. Can't wait to try 'em out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Nice Vik, my new Keen's (Summit Country's) arrived yesterday. I like to carry small snow shoes on my rack so I can ditch the bike and "climb the peak" as necessary. Can't wait to try 'em out.

If they have this style of Keen sole you'll find them too slippery for any winter climbing hijinx - at least without those slip on studs. They are fine on the bike and fine for some flat terrain hiking. Snow/ice and steep slopes challenge them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Very similar uppers except taller. Different sole, I'll put up a pic when I get a chance. I'll only ride w/ these on "snow/ice only" trips... too warm and bulky for "combo" rides and they'll be tough to fit in the toe clips... probably flats only. I think they're going to be great for venturing off the bike w/ the snow shoes. Very light for what they are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Same sole as Guitar Ted's on the other current "which boot" thread...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have some keen summit country boots that I like and are good to -40C if you are moving. I bought them for the light weight and the width. My boots are now getting worn out and I was considering steger mukluks as a replacement. They are the same weight but less structured, have better grip and come in a double wide. On the other hand, they are way less water resiststant than the keens.
    Down to -5C or so, I use identical boots to Vik.

mtbr member
    Keen sandals

with waterproof socks.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Nice Velo. What socks?
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by coldbike View Post
    I have some keen summit country boots that I like and are good to -40C if you are moving. I bought them for the light weight and the width. My boots are now getting worn out and I was considering steger mukluks as a replacement. They are the same weight but less structured, have better grip and come in a double wide. On the other hand, they are way less water resiststant than the keens.
    Down to -5C or so, I use identical boots to Vik.
    Are you referring to the aggressively or passively treaded Stegers? I am using the more diminutive version of the Camuks and they're kinda slippery when walking in some snow (surprisingly grippy on ice though). The lack of structure is a double edged sword: I can feel what I'm about to step on before I follow through with all my body weight, but then, stubbing my toes on stuff is more painful than with a stiffer boot. I thought the lack of sole stiffness would give me hot spots or tired feet on long rides, hasn't happened.

The sole sticks like glue to pedal pins, provided the pins are exposed. I think I'm going to get some longer pins to see if they pack up less.

They feel stupidly warm. but then, I've had them a very short time and it hasn't gotten anywhere near what I could call cold yet.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    Nice Velo. What socks?
    SealSkinz.

Only problem with that setup is the sole of the sandal is not grippy enough. I've got a worn out set and I'm going to see if I can get a more grippy sole put on.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Siberian mad biker
    I use military army boots in winter. These boots do not seem so waterproof, but provide me comfort and warmth up to -35 C°

Also, I use LU-592 pedals for winter.

mtbr member
    I love the Keen Winterport II boots.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Zmey70, wow, snowbiking in Siberia, gotta love it. I'm guessing if you like your boots there, they'll work anywhere.

mtbr member
    After a ton of review reading I went with the Keen Summit County. Haven't been able to really test them out but I have no doubt they will preform and so far they are super comfy and walking in them is easy. They will also be my snowshoe boot. I like that it is a relatively skinny shape compared to more traditional boots like my sorel's. It fits on the pedal without rubbing.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

Siberian mad biker
    Quote Originally Posted by black cross View Post
    Zmey70, wow, snowbiking in Siberia, gotta love it. I'm guessing if you like your boots there, they'll work anywhere.
    Yes, really nice boots! Siberian trails are nice too Especially the Baikal Lake not far from my home is an awesome place for fatbiking in any season

MORBID
    Minnesota, big fan of these: Sorel | Men's Bear™
    MORBID - Minnesota Off Road Bikers Into Drinking

Bunker Hill Bikes

Bigfoot wears Keens.....

Here in Northern Lower Michigan (Traverse City area) I use a pair of size 15 Keen Targhee Mid II with Threshold gaiters. The gaiters go over my boots and Marmot Precip pants with Defeet Wooleator socks. The feet stay warm and comfortable down to 5 degrees before I have to add a pair of Specialized wool trainer socks.

For pedals I use Wellgo LU-A52 Flat Pedals, sealed bearing variety! The size 15 Keens stick to the pedals pretty good.

Think snow!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zmey70 View Post
    Also, I use LU-592 pedals for winter.

I couldn't find anything on these until I realized 592 was just a typo after looking at the image URL.

When I searched for LU-952, I found only a little bit. Are these available only Russia? Or possibly discontinued?

What's the deal with the center cleat thing oriented at a slight angle compared to the outer body?
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This is my first winter riding, but I've got some snow boots from the Army/Navy Surplus store. I think they're Rovel or something like that. They seem ok and not too bulky.

Edit: The actual boot name is Rothco. I got them for around $45
    Last edited by Turtle01; 12-13-2011 at 08:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    altberg boots and nukeproof neutron pedals

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Are you referring to the aggressively or passively treaded Stegers? I am using the more diminutive version of the Camuks and they're kinda slippery when walking in some snow (surprisingly grippy on ice though). The lack of structure is a double edged sword: I can feel what I'm about to step on before I follow through with all my body weight, but then, stubbing my toes on stuff is more painful than with a stiffer boot. I thought the lack of sole stiffness would give me hot spots or tired feet on long rides, hasn't happened.

The sole sticks like glue to pedal pins, provided the pins are exposed. I think I'm going to get some longer pins to see if they pack up less.

They feel stupidly warm. but then, I've had them a very short time and it hasn't gotten anywhere near what I could call cold yet.
    Are the bottoms of your mukluks getting chewed up by the pedals? I generally ride lake cycling boots, but have periodically used my mukluks with bmx pedals on colder days/more ambitious distance rides. even with limited use the bottom of the mukluk shows obvious indents from the pins, that I assume would get increasingly worse until they were completely ruined.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've used my Steger Arctic's nearly exclusively the last two years and they show minimal to no wear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TBerntson View Post
    I've used my Steger Arctic's nearly exclusively the last two years and they show minimal to no wear.
    what kind of pedals are you using? I have the yukon jack, which I believe has the same sole.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It does have the same sole. I have the Fatback ti pedals. Not sure if Speedway has them this year or not. I'm sure there's another model name for them, but I'm not sure what it is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TBerntson View Post
    It does have the same sole. I have the Fatback ti pedals. Not sure if Speedway has them this year or not. I'm sure there's another model name for them, but I'm not sure what it is.
    interesting. I really want someone to tell me that those little marks from my pedals won't get worse and that I should just use my mukluks all of the time on that bike. switching pedals is annoying. currently I'm using a nylon pedal from fyxation (Mesa Pedal Black - Fyxation Webstore). I thought maybe being nylon would help, but they also seem to be leaving marks. MKS grip king pedals were totally harmless but incredibly slippery when wet. other attempted pedals included primo tenderizers and dmr v12 bmx pedals...both seemed to be too pointy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yesterday's ride left me with toes the color of which I am not accustomed to...and have been aggressively scouring the internest for alternatives. Surprised at the lack of discussion regarding such items as the Northwave Arctic Celsius, Lake products, $idi, Pearl, etc. What gives?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    tlupfer - I'm not really worried about the pin holes. They don't appear to be turning into scars or frays. If anything I'm thinking of longer pedal pins for higher temperatures.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BilleKlub View Post
    Yesterday's ride left me with toes the color of which I am not accustomed to...and have been aggressively scouring the internest for alternatives. Surprised at the lack of discussion regarding such items as the Northwave Arctic Celsius, Lake products, $idi, Pearl, etc. What gives?
    I can only comment on the Lakes: they were good for me down to positive 20F. That's where "cold" starts in my opinion, so I was unimpressed at the idea of having to pay a fair chunk of change for something that falls a bit short.

My goal is to have comfy feet at -20F and not have to stop and walk periodically.

(Incidentally, this whole getting acquainted with fat bikes have adjusted my attitude to the local weather. My friends will comment on how cold it is out and I chuckle and hope for more cold just to test crap.)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ppgc View Post
    Minnesota, big fan of these: Sorel | Men's Bear™
    Seconded. I've got a pair of Sorel Blizzards and they are fantastic. A very similar boot to the Bear. They are rated at -40°C, fully synthetic, and have breathable and water resistant upper and are light weight. You can walk through creeks with them and your feet will stay dry. Beats the hell out of most leather boots/mukluks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I use these, so far they work great. Just did a 24 mile ride with them yesterday.

Men's Pac Boots By Tamarack - Mills Fleet Farm

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Good job!

Keen Summit County Boots! Nice and light and kept me plenty warm on a 3 hour ride in -25*C. I just wish now i would have went a size smaller as I find I rarely have bothered to use them with 2 pairs of heavy socks. I Just wear one pair of woolie boolie cycling socks and have never had cold feet with these boots. Actually on the milder days around the freezing mark and if the snows not deep on the trail i just wear wool socks and my salomon xt trail running shoes.
    Pedals are Nukeproof Neutron pedals. love those style of pedals, wide, low profile, replaceable pins. Have a similar pedal "NRG tasters choice" on my other bike. With the wide platform I find a super stiff sole isn't really needed, any warm shoe, boot generally will work in the winter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I used saloman tundra boots last year on the arrowhead with wellgo flats for pedals. Feet were not cold, but it wasn't as efficient as being clipped in...