mtbr member
    Jan 2013

what fatbike and why

Looking at getting a fatbike and I have mostly looked at the 907 whiteout and the borealis yampa due to the fact I can put 4.8" tires on them if I want. I was leaning towards the 907 because of the thru axle in the rear. But then the Yampa has a threaded BB so im just looking for some help. Is that a big deal when it comes to fatbikes? I have never owned a fatbike so I am totaly new to this. Thanks

mtbr member
    Must... resist... Must... resist...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Must... resist... Must... resist...
    Now, now

Any fatbike does the job. What tyres you put on it, how wide a rim you use, and what pressure you run your tyres at will make more difference than slight variations in geometry or materials.

So if you don't like the feel of the bike you can change it as simply as trying a different tyre or varying your tyre pressure.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Clears
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Now, now

Any fatbike does the job. What tyres you put on it, how wide a rim you use, and what pressure you run your tyres at will make more difference than slight variations in geometry or materials.

So if you don't like the feel of the bike you can change it as simply as trying a different tyre or varying your tyre pressure.
    +1. Wise words from Velo here. I might offer that if this is your first fatty, go with something a bit less expensive, maybe even a used model as there are many many available. Throw a leg over it, experiment with various tires, pressures, bars, thudbusters, fenders, grips, shifters, gearing as your heart desires until you feel you've got it dialed in.

But most importantly, just get one. Regardless of which, you'll have a blast on it.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Agreed on the notion of you shouldn't get the expensive hot sh!t until you know that you enjoy riding a fat bike.

You can hot rod all you want but it is hard to privately resell an expensive hot rod if you don't like it. It's *super* easy to privately resell a "stock" fattie at a reasonable recoup of price.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Depends on so many factors.

mtbr member
    True story: there are other bikes that can also take 4.8" tires. Some of them are also carbon. You aren't limited to just those two.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006

what fatbike and why

There is an aspect of going all in that I like but I recommend for you Chinese fatty. What's the infatuation with carbon hard tails? Ok well manicured xc ski trails I get it. More background on location and type of riding frequency would help with answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Alright thank you guys I will head to the local bike shops and start riding a few to see how I like them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bus3 View Post
    Alright thank you guys I will head to the local bike shops and start riding a few to see how I like them.
    That there is the single best thing you can do.

You may hate fatbikes after a minute in the parking lot, you may love them, but you won't know until you actually try one.

If you are new to it and you've never really ridden one before and not knowing what you are gonna ride on and when, suggest trying the Surlys and the Salsa Mukluks. try it, buy it, ride it, sell it after a year and after you know what you really want.

Wouldn't recommend a top of the line carbon fatbike as a first fatbike any more than I'd recommend a corvette as a first car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    ...You may hate fatbikes after a minute in the parking lot...
    If that happens, stick another 2-4psi in the tyre to transform it.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A custom built Moonlander will do everything the others will do, be at least as versatile, and will cost less, with only a small weight penalty. Hard to go with one of those.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    If that happens, stick another 2-4psi in the tyre to transform it.
    Might want to actually check the psi first...A local LBS had two Mukluks in stock a couple of weeks ago, I asked what the psi was...about 30.

Good reference point for a first timer! Filled me with confidence!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    Might want to actually check the psi first...A local LBS had two Mukluks in stock a couple of weeks ago, I asked what the psi was...about 30.

Good reference point for a first timer! Filled me with confidence!

I can't speak from owning but I can speak from testing. I am in the same boat as the OP, only I am looking at the less expensive ones as mentioned previously. My advise from that standpoint would be to try and find a shop that knows the bikes and rides them. Thankfully my LBS is well versed in fat bikes, one of the owners is an avid rider and long distance racer. After getting some schooling from them I feel much more capable to make a decision. I have been to several shops and ridden a few different brands and sizes. All of the shops have at least known enough to ask what psi I want the tires at and give recommendations when I ask.

mtbr member
    I've ridden the Mukluk 2 and a 9:zero:7 190mm. My signature should show which I thought was better. The 907 felt like more of a mountain bike to me! I was shocked at how well the tires rolled. The LBS only have frame sets available but their base build was nicer than the sustina for the same price.
    Denver, CO

Clueless Bastard

Wink Three Simple Steps to Bike Bliss

1. Test ride bikes.
    2. Buy the bike you like and can fund with the least financial discomfort.
    3. Enjoy.

All other criteria are less important.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've been lurking and researching. Bought a Mukluk 2 today. Wanted to get in the game and see what it's like. Once the temps drop and some snow falls I would guess it's going to be slim pickens. Got a great deal from my LBS. If I love it as much as I think then I'll be easy to sell and get something better if I feel the need. I had been shopping carbon bikes. That would not be as easy to sell to get my money out of it(I think).

mtbr member
    Why are you in here posting about it? Go ride that thing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Pick it up tomorrow. Also tomorrow brings cold to freeze the trails so I don't destroy them. They swapped components to a red frame for me. Gold wasn't doing it for me.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the red is pretty cool looking.