What fatbike did you Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Idea! What fatbike did you Build

I have been reading all thru the forums because i want to try building a chinese carbon fat bike.
    I have no experience building a bike but am generally good at figuring out how to do things.
    I want a 1x11 drive and a frame accepting the largest tires .
    would you mind listing what you put on ? ie :drive ( XTR,XX1), headset, bottom bracket (what did you do about BB shell given 120mm ),spacers, crank , chain ring, brakes, rotor size and which wheels (80,90,100mm) and how are hubs(i see a lot of muttering about noisy/crummy hubs)Did you go tubeless ? are any of the carbon rims better for tubeless than others ?,did you use derailleur hanger that came with frame? ,seat clamp.
    Any changes you would do if starting over.
    Last edited by GREBNET; 01-09-2016 at 08:20 AM. Reason: added ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I built a DengFu FM190. I have heard that their version is a bit wider in the chain stays then other but can't confirm. some of the parts i had like the crankset from a different bike and used those. The rest of my choices where based on keeping it with in a price point. I have about $1800 into it excluding the crankset. Build is below.

Frame: FM190 with carbon fork
    Wheels: Dengfu 100mm carbon on Chosen hubs
    Crank set: RF turbine cinch 120mm spindle
    BB: RF one that came on old bike
    Bars/stem/seat post: Dengfu carbon
    RD: Shimano SLX
    Cassette: Shimano XT 10spd
    shifter: XT 10spd
    Brakes: Shimano M395 (cheap but i love them, and they are only about 60g heavier then XT for $70/ set)
    tires: Dillinger 5 un-studded and china alloy studs from bikestuds.com (saved myself about $120 by studding myself)

I wanted the best shifting i could afford and read an article on MTBR about the Shimano line. they said that the shifter is more important then the derailleur so i went higher spec there. my bike shifts wonderfully by the way. Also the XT cassette is lighter and more durable then going to the XTR and is affordable. i saved some $ on the RD by going SLX and i have the same RD on another bike and it works very well.

I have not gone tubeless but i will. they are super easy, just tape the spoke hole and go. i tested them out with no sealant and they would hold for about a day as is. the rims have a very flat profile so bead closes on the rim very easily.

If you have other questions please ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What  fatbike did you Build-img_6485.jpg  

What  fatbike did you Build-img_6477.jpg  

What  fatbike did you Build-image.jpg  

What  fatbike did you Build-img_6445.jpg  

What  fatbike did you Build-img_6406.jpg  

Last edited by Jefflinde; 01-09-2016 at 01:56 PM. Reason: can't spell good

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I could have gone 11 spd with the new XT setup but did not see the need. Or i could have ordered the wheels with the SD drive body. i would recommend the XT setup unless you just like sram for the 10t cog. headset was supplied by Dengfu and fits great. BB was RF and i went BSA on the frame because that is what i had. i think RF sells BB30 as well but i would stick to BSA. this from will allow you to go 100mm or 120mm spindle. again i had 120mm so that is what i have. crank arm clearance is tighter on the 100mm but it does work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Great looking bike

Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    I could have gone 11 spd with the new XT setup but did not see the need. Or i could have ordered the wheels with the SD drive body. i would recommend the XT setup unless you just like sram for the 10t cog. headset was supplied by Dengfu and fits great. BB was RF and i went BSA on the frame because that is what i had. i think RF sells BB30 as well but i would stick to BSA. this from will allow you to go 100mm or 120mm spindle. again i had 120mm so that is what i have. crank arm clearance is tighter on the 100mm but it does work.
    Did they paint the frame for you ?If so , How is the quality of the painting ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    they did and it is top notch. It is just white so it is not tough to do but it looks as good as any name brand manufacturer.

sluice box
    Ti Fatback
    Hadley Hubs
    Uma 70 rims
    Saint w/ One Up Radr Cage swap
    xtr 1x10 shifter xtr cassette w/ wolftooth 42 gc
    sram xx1 crank wolftooth nw ring
    king bb & headset
    avid bb7 sd7 brakes 160 rotor
    thompson 70mm stem
    fatback carbon fork
    ritchey carbon seatpost
    brooks ti saddle
    answer 20/20 carbon bar
    oury grips
    45nrth D5 studded tubeless
    kmc sl10 chain
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    FM190 - only frame that came big enough, Dengfu custom paint which is perfect
    Next SL Cranks 100mm/RF BB/Flipped WolfTooth 28t
    XTR Shifting & Chain
    XT Brakes
    SRAM 1150 cassette
    Race Face bars - wanted 800
    Nextie 65's for summer although I am using them this winter with D5's
    DT Swiss Hubs
    Bluto RCT3

Once I add the dropper it'll be in the mid 4's for $, but I am not complaining. Closest stock option for me was the same price for a closeout Beargrease that needed a bunch of changes to fit me right.