What do you use your fatbike for?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 62 of 62
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    205

    What do you use your fatbike for?

    I just got a moonlander, and because its new, I find myself wanting to ride it all the time. It's early spring and I live in the suburbs of Philly. So no real need for the fatbike right now. Friday, I'm showing it to toddlers for transportation day @ son's daycare! Am I the only one? I have plenty of other bikes. Maybe it's just the newness of it.....maybe.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tadraper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    296
    I have had my Pugsley for about two weeks now and have put over 150 miles on it just riding all over in SE Michigan. New maybe but i find it to be fun and a great time to ride.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    205
    Yeah! I'm with you! I love riding this bike! Took my son on a short ride to do some banking yesterday and had to ride through a stream because fatbike & sidecar too wide for foot bridge! I like the attention too. Haven't seen anything like it around here yet.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146
    I have used mine for daily commute every day since Oct. Even on below zero and heavy snow days here in the UP.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    148
    "What do I use my fatbike for?"

    Everything!

    It's my road-bike, ok it's slower than a true road-bike but it's fun!

    It's my commuter, ok it's slower than my commuter but it's fun!

    My 29er, ok I'm cheating here 'cos I've got a set of 29er wheels for my Pug, but it's fun!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10
    Iím on the jersey side of Philly and picked up a pugsley from bicycle revolutions in January.
    Maybe you got yours there too..
    I have been riding it a lot.
    I ride it to work in south Philly via PATCO (speedline).
    I take the kids to and from school/daycare in a custom trailer.
    I rode it briefly in a little bit of snow and pulled the kids in a sled- to the sledding hill a couple times Ö (Iíll take the warm winter!)
    I followed the end of my wifeís half marathon in Va Beach a couple weeks ago- while she ran on the boardwalk I rode on the beach with my 3yo in an iBert seat. He loved being able to cheer her on through the finish!
    I ride it in ocean city NJ on the beach; especially down toward Corsonís inlet. This will pick up in the summer time as we visit more often.
    Mostly I am using it to mountain bike with.
    Wissahickon has been a blast. Iíve been out there 4-5 times since I got it-
    Tomorrow Iím headed out after work in Ceres park in S. Jersey with a couple coworkers.
    Iím not that competitive- I donít race- and Iím considering selling my main mountain bike because the pug is so funÖ My mtn bike is actually on extended loan to a friend..

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by cholula405 View Post
    Iím on the jersey side of Philly and picked up a pugsley from bicycle revolutions in January.
    Maybe you got yours there too..
    I have been riding it a lot.
    I ride it to work in south Philly via PATCO (speedline).
    I take the kids to and from school/daycare in a custom trailer.
    I rode it briefly in a little bit of snow and pulled the kids in a sled- to the sledding hill a couple times Ö (Iíll take the warm winter!)
    I followed the end of my wifeís half marathon in Va Beach a couple weeks ago- while she ran on the boardwalk I rode on the beach with my 3yo in an iBert seat. He loved being able to cheer her on through the finish!
    I ride it in ocean city NJ on the beach; especially down toward Corsonís inlet. This will pick up in the summer time as we visit more often.
    Mostly I am using it to mountain bike with.
    Wissahickon has been a blast. Iíve been out there 4-5 times since I got it-
    Tomorrow Iím headed out after work in Ceres park in S. Jersey with a couple coworkers.
    Iím not that competitive- I donít race- and Iím considering selling my main mountain bike because the pug is so funÖ My mtn bike is actually on extended loan to a friend..
    Yeah, in another thread you mentioned BR and offered me a test ride on yours! I test rode 16" @ BR but purchased in DE to save on sales tax! Don't really have time to travel to ride but OCNJ vacation in July will be first sand ride opportunity. I'll ride around here whenever I can though. I hear Core Creek Park by me is pretty good!

  8. #8
    Geordie biker
    Reputation: saltyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,376
    its been 22c here in the uk past few days, been riding the moonlander daily, around the outskirts of the city, put a couple of hundred dry sunny miles on the past few weeks......love it, and im averaging 15 miles a day on a bike that makes me smile and is completly comfortable.
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coastkid71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,126
    Pugsley is used for everything, mostly regular local trails and the road ride to the beaches,
    My moonie goes on the car to the coast except the doorstep beach, It is only getting used for beachriding,

    Enjoy your new fat friend
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoogieMang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    286
    I plan to use my Pugsley for everything. It is a blast to ride, even if it's not the most efficient bike in my stable.

    I've been using it as a monster townie while my Two year-old is learning to ride on his balance bike. It's hilarious... He watched me riding over curbs the other day, and decided he had to try with the balance bike. That didn't go so well, but he loves going riding with me, and I'm taking advantage of every chance I can get since the weather has been unseasonably nice. I'd eventually like to get a set of Black Floyds for summer riding around town. I've also got a couple of trail rides in so far, and I'll be taking it to Moab this weekend for a few more

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lamard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    176
    world domination....
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FarNRTHFatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    143
    I use my fatback for the following:

    Ride'n...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Skywalker22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    138
    Just set mine up with some Black Floyd's and drop bar ends for a fifty mile charity road ride down here in Alabama, for the one year anniversary of the April 27th tornados!!http://bobikesbama.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you use your fatbike for?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333016589.832605.jpg  

    Last edited by Skywalker22; 03-29-2012 at 06:16 AM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    201
    I use my fatbike to further the fantasy that I'm hip. When people see me riding it, they think I'm cool, and that's all I care about.

  15. #15
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernbreed View Post
    I use my fatbike to further the fantasy that I'm hip. When people see me riding it, they think I'm cool, and that's all I care about.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TX K@@TER RED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernbreed View Post
    I use my fatbike to further the fantasy that I'm hip. When people see me riding it, they think I'm cool, and that's all I care about.
    touchť

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    463
    Well, for now I ride my sandman on the road, on the trails, on the sand, to do some shopping, try some dirt, .... alone or with the normal bike buddies.

    The only thing that doesn't work right now is riding with the kids as I can't tow the son's bike.

    The nice comment of Northernbreed made me realise that I might have a different reason as well:
    When I ride with the sandman, people notice the tires but in a lot of cases they don't notice that I'm riding on one leg, as a result they come and ask questions about the tires instead of: what happened to your leg!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothing's impossible View Post
    Well, for now I ride my sandman on the road, on the trails, on the sand, to do some shopping, try some dirt, .... alone or with the normal bike buddies.

    The only thing that doesn't work right now is riding with the kids as I can't tow the son's bike.

    The nice comment of Northernbreed made me realise that I might have a different reason as well:
    When I ride with the sandman, people notice the tires but in a lot of cases they don't notice that I'm riding on one leg, as a result they come and ask questions about the tires instead of: what happened to your leg!
    I've seen some of your vids in another thread.....Truly Inspirational!

  19. #19
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,340
    With skinny tires and bags it makes a nice commuter and general purpose bike.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    309
    Winter racing in MN (Endomorph is scary on icy trails...)
    Winter trail riding in MN (the Nate is the rear is amazing)
    Single track riding in MN (tacky dirt is a blast, actually any dirt is a blast with these monster tires)
    Road rides around the lakes of Minneapolis, the girls love the big tires!
    Sandy rides at the Minnesota River Bottoms
    Sunday rides with a sammich basket on the back.

    The bike gets rode everywhere and I love it! Can't wait to upgrade to some Marge Lites and 280g tubes!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drofluf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    369
    To make me
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Skywalker22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    138
    I've had people ask me "Where do you ride that thing?" The best answer I have for them is "Wherever I point it!"

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,134


    I use my fat bike for whatever the heck I feel like!...
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  24. #24
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post


    I use my fat bike for whatever the heck I feel like!...
    uh oh somebody out on the playa!!

  25. #25
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,200
    I use it for gettin laid and paid.

  26. #26
    cmg
    cmg is online now
    passed out in your garden
    Reputation: cmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernbreed View Post
    I use my fatbike to further the fantasy that I'm hip. When people see me riding it, they think I'm cool, and that's all I care about.
    always mad and usually drunk......

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    29
    Only have had it for just about 2 months, but besides a few singletrack rides and some beach rides been using it to commute between jobs on Fire Island.
    Islip, NY
    C.L.I.M.B.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    162
    I use mine for important errands

  29. #29
    ...big and slow
    Reputation: Chromehorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    222
    Aside from the usual Rail to Trail ride with the family or occasional blast off the beaten path, I use it for rides like the one today. 13 miles on a paved bike path along the Arkansas River which included a stop at the LBS where I bought my Muk 2. While there I test rode a Salsa Vaya with a Thudbuster to see if I might want to buy one for my Muk.

    Attachment 686159

    Along the ride back I stopped to take in one on the local sights, The Keeper of The Plains.

    Attachment 686160

    I met a nice couple on a tandem road bike walking along because their front tire was flat. They were surprised I had a pump that would work with a Presta valve and while I was helping them with the flat they were gushing over how big the tires were on my bike and how cool it looked.

    Nearing the spot where I started the ride, I decided to head out into the river bed, let some pressure out of the tires and ride around on the sand bars in the middle of the river.

    Attachment 686162

    Attachment 686163

    Attachment 686164

    Attachment 686165

    No other type of bike could have done what my Fat Bike did today. The best part of all was the Perma-Grin I had when I was done riding. Some people don't understand Fat Bikes and may think I should buy another bike for all the on-road stuff I do. Whether others get it or not, I'm going to keep riding my Fattie because of what it does for me. It makes me enjoy riding and helps me stay fit.
    Chromey

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromehorn View Post
    ... The best part of all was the Perma-Grin I had when I was done riding. Some people don't understand Fat Bikes and may think I should buy another bike for all the on-road stuff I do. Whether others get it or not, I'm going to keep riding my Fattie because of what it does for me. It makes me enjoy riding and helps me stay fit.
    You had me at Perma-Grin. It's the term I've been searching for to describe what it's like to ride my Muk.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: billystack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post


    I use my fat bike for whatever the heck I feel like!...
    I was just thinking how a fat bike would be perfect on the playa and I should use that as an excuse to get one!

    BTW did you get tickets?

  32. #32
    I'm sticky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    143
    I use my fat bike for scuba biking (riding underwater). The traction I get from the fat tires is really important, but it's the buoyancy that makes the biggest difference. All that air volume in the tires allows me to fine tune my weights so I can get my overall buoyancy just right. Getting the right buoyancy is pretty tricky actually; "just right" means I can still ride downed trees as skinnies, but I don't sink in too deep when I hit a section of deep muck.

    There's nothing better than getting huge water from jumping off logs and rocks on some of the local lake bottoms!

  33. #33
    chaindriven
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    42

    Fun

    I use my Fatback for fun! It has become my favorite bike to ride and I have two other choices, a 22.8 lb. alum. hardtail and a 25.7 lb DS bike. The fatbike just does everything well despite its 30 lbs. I'm just sorry we didn't get much snow this year-last year was a blast with over 72 inches of the white stuff when I got my money's worth and basically had the trails to myself! Once you go fat, you wont go back - and I'm not talking chubby chasers here.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrap View Post
    I use my fat bike for scuba biking (riding underwater). The traction I get from the fat tires is really important, but it's the buoyancy that makes the biggest difference. All that air volume in the tires allows me to fine tune my weights so I can get my overall buoyancy just right. Getting the right buoyancy is pretty tricky actually; "just right" means I can still ride downed trees as skinnies, but I don't sink in too deep when I hit a section of deep muck.

    There's nothing better than getting huge water from jumping off logs and rocks on some of the local lake bottoms!
    Nice one!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16
    I find myself grabbing the Necro Pugs for all of the trails so far this year. She doesn't climb very well (traction, yes; but effort, no), she doesn't see pavement often (can't afford to wear out the tires so I just ride on the shoulder or grass), she barely fits in my rack, but damn she does just about anything I want her to do.

    I took out the Niner this past weekend and rode my favourite trail and was like "damn this is harder to ride!" With the Pugs you just ride over anything and it corners amazingly well. Can't wait to see one of these modified for some DH action

  36. #36
    chaindriven
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    42

    Forgot to mention

    I also use the fattie for beach riding and creek riding. It seems to navigate creeks much better than its narrower tired counterparts. I have easily traveled through 12 or so inches of water with a rocky base and the bike is very stable.

  37. #37
    wounded knee
    Reputation: dirtrider6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,368
    I love riding the Pugsley on rocky technical single track, the bike is so stable it's almost like cheating, and I find it climbs incredibly well just stand up and mash the pedals it never misses a beat.
    I have rode it in town a few times and I get stopped with people asking about it, and thats just plain cool, spread the Fatbike love.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10
    Beach riding and through the woods wish we had snow in Florida.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    133
    MoonLander...I put that $#!^ on everything!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    64
    Keeps me out of the bars at night...I need to be bright eyed and bushy tailed the next morning so I can ride!

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    33

    Touring

    I use my "fat" bike for touring. And anything else. I am about to head down to Baja for a tour.

  42. #42
    Bad cat!
    Reputation: montana_ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    357
    I use it to chase unicorns over rainbows!

    Seriously it gives me big grins and over the long haul will be cheaper than buying weed.

    Really seriously most of the snow is gone and last night's ride was even more fun on dirt than snow--I even left the right shifter on "5" and pretended it was single speed for an extra chuckle. That's just weird...

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    33
    Touring... Long days in the saddle.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,242
    I use it for this.

    We only get these conditions for a few days each year but they are very good days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you use your fatbike for?-576283_305081796227120_100001759055841_760447_1395003193_n%5B1%5D.jpg  

    Latitude 61

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    33
    That is an amazing shot!

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,022
    Wow!!

    Awesome shot.

    Thanks,
    Steven



    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I use it for this.

    We only get these conditions for a few days each year but they are very good days.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoogieMang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    286
    I'm confused... is that a cornice?

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,242
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post
    I'm confused... is that a cornice?
    It's just a ridge with a hill behind it. Here is a shot looking down the ridge (the photographer of the previous shot is in the lower right). Also a better shot of where the photographer was and a shot looking up the ridge.

    Now I'm confused since the pictures came up in reverse order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you use your fatbike for?-p1020578-1-.jpg  

    What do you use your fatbike for?-p1020579-1-.jpg  

    What do you use your fatbike for?-p1020581-1-.jpg  

    Latitude 61

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604

    Fat School Bus by mbeganyi, on Flickr

    fat school bus
    woods
    snow trails
    town for date night

    lots of stuff.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoogieMang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post

    Fat School Bus by mbeganyi, on Flickr

    fat school bus
    woods
    snow trails
    town for date night

    lots of stuff.


    I have the same thing going on with mine. Curious how you setup the rear with the burley disc mount? I put the forged mount on, rotated it down, which pushed the rear wheel back a little bit because of the dropout, then straightened the wheel out the best I could and locked down the quick release... It works so far, but I thought it seemed a little sketchy.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post


    I have the same thing going on with mine. Curious how you setup the rear with the burley disc mount? I put the forged mount on, rotated it down, which pushed the rear wheel back a little bit because of the dropout, then straightened the wheel out the best I could and locked down the quick release... It works so far, but I thought it seemed a little sketchy.

    monkeynuts

    i use the forged hitch. PITA with the surly dropouts.
    monkeynuts solved the rotating forward problem.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    33

    on the road

    Not sure if the picture will load?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you use your fatbike for?-me-hillbilly.jpg  


  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoogieMang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    monkeynuts

    i use the forged hitch. PITA with the surly dropouts.
    monkeynuts solved the rotating forward problem.
    Awesome. Thanks for the tip. I need to get a set of those.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,022
    Nice, very functional looking bike. Is it by chance a Bilenky?

    Cheers,
    Steven

    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclerust View Post
    Not sure if the picture will load?
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    33
    Hey Steven.
    You sure do have a keen eye. It sure is a Bilenky.If you are interested there are more pics and adventure on my blog at Bicycle rust & Foam dust - For the love of life, adventure & freedom... I will be heading to Baja in a few days, so the blog should become more interesting then.
    Thanks.
    Matt.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,022
    Thanks Matt
    Looks like a Rohloff on there, I will check out your blog for more details. Baja sounds like a nice destination.

    Steven


    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclerust View Post
    Hey Steven.
    You sure do have a keen eye. It sure is a Bilenky.If you are interested there are more pics and adventure on my blog at Bicycle rust & Foam dust - For the love of life, adventure & freedom... I will be heading to Baja in a few days, so the blog should become more interesting then.
    Thanks.
    Matt.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    582
    I use it for a bit of everything, whatever presents itself basically - no need to grab any other bike (because none has the same fun factor ). This is my favourite terrain, filmed by a friend:



    I used to live there too, but alas moved to flatter terrain... what was I thinking...

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Surlynot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    67
    ^+1
    Jut finished watching this for the fourth time....

    ..and now i'm going to watch it again.
    Leave nothing but footprints & take nothing but photographs.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    58
    Fatbikes are great tools for trail work days


  60. #60
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

  61. #61

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    463

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.