turtles make me hot

Went To LL Bean in Maine This Past Weekend

Went To LL Bean in Maine This Past Weekend-img_2460.jpgWent To LL Bean in Maine This Past Weekend-img_2461.jpg

When I go up there I always like to hit the store at night. MUCH quieter.
    I went to the bike shop which is separate from the big store to check out what they had. Much to my surprise, they had a pretty healthy selection of tires and quite a few bikes.
    They had Rocky Mountains and a house brand bike . They told me who makes the store brand bikes but I can't remember.
    A few years ago they had Framed and before that they had Surly.

I felt a little bad for the mechanic since the store and shop is open 24/7 and we were in there at 9 pm and he was bored. I guess they might be busy in the warmer weather.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Went To LL Bean in Maine This Past Weekend-img_2460.jpg  

Went To LL Bean in Maine This Past Weekend-img_2461.jpg  

Last edited by NYrr496; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:20 PM.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I saw my first fat bike in 2013 at the Freeport, ME store...a bright yellow Surly Moonlander! That experience piqued my interest in them and began the obsession...

I was there this summer and it seemed like Rocky Mountain is their brand of choice these days. I live near an LL Bean outlet store and they frequently have Reid fat bikes. Never heard of them anyplace else.

mtbr member
    My local, small town shop does or did carry Reid fatbikes. They also carried Charge for a while. I reckon that's their bread and butter.

Never been in an LL Bean. This is news to me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

turtles make me hot
    mohrgan, I probably saw that same Moonlander back then. Too funny.
    I like turtles

Elitest thrill junkie
    Open 24/7? That's crazy. People shop there at midnight? There better not be any service backlog with hours like that!

I did see on FB that you can order a holiday box of wood from LL Bean...lol

Went To LL Bean in Maine This Past Weekend-wood.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Open 24/7? That's crazy. People shop there at midnight? There better not be any service backlog with hours like that!
    That's the best time to shop there! When we head over to Freeport, ME(about 5 hours from home) we usually arrive in the evening and then head over. It's a very relaxing experience...I'd never think that about shopping otherwise!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    mohrgan, I probably saw that same Moonlander back then. Too funny.
    LOL! My mind wanders back to that bike once in a while...

mtbr member
    They are about an hour from me and Iíve been there often, to include after midnight. I used to stop there every night on my way home from work out of state because they had free coffee after 11PM. I even took a few naps in the set up tents and on the dog beds and they never had an issue.

Bradbury Mountain state park is close by and has some nice biking all year.

They have a very nice selection of bike stuff, second only to Bikeman, IMHO, which is just a little ways up the road. Interestingly enough, at least one of their mechanics used to work at Bikeman.

A friend bought his Big Jon from Beanís at almost 35% off through various discounts (coupons) and deals they had one weekend on bikes. And they have been very good to him on warranty and tuning.

LL Bean used to have an outstanding return policy but a few years ago they made it just one year, which I think will hurt sales. I stopped going for Ďrealí outdoor items since they started catering to the yuppie urban crowd and less for the actual remote adventurer. Itís too bad because they made some nice gear and I still have a winter tent from them. But, their kayak and bike sections are much larger now so I find myself going back more often. Their selection isnít huge but is diverse enough to make the trip worthwhile, but unless you have a coupon or go during a sale you probably arenít going to find a deal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

turtles make me hot
    Yep. I have family up there so I venture out to the store after they've gone to bed. One year, my son and I went and bought bows. It was midnight and the guy had us in the archery range for over an hour. My son thought that was the greatest thing ever.

Damn. I wish I remembered Bikeman was up there. I would have loved to hit that. Next time.
    Bradbury Mtn State Park is pretty cool. Didn't get there this trip.
    One of my cousins used to own a small restaurant right across the street from the park but she got swindled out of her lease by the landlord. Too bad, the food was excellent.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    I did see on FB that you can order a holiday box of wood from LL Bean...lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	1231730
    Damn, man... My uncle that I went to visit is being overcome by Parkinsons and one of the things I did for him was make enough kindling to last the winter. I could have just bought a couple of boxes and done something else.
    Last edited by NYrr496; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:57 PM.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    If that is what I think it is, then it is extremely resinous, and makes great long burning and easy lighting kindling.
    It lights quickly even when wet, is very wind resistant, and burns hot enough to light larger pieces of wood or a charcoal BBQ.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's a box of wood.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

All fat, all the time.
    People are all about easy these days.
    Hey Google, start me a fire!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It's a box of wood.
    Both the wood and the box are made from trees.
    Mind blown?
    Wait....there's more.
    The box of wood will be put in a shipping box and a paper label will be attached...both of which were made out of trees.

food for thought: people mail order small pieces of wood from far away.
    This is why all the locally owned small piece of wood stores are closing.

turtles make me hot
    I gotta admit, I use a Duraflame log in my fire pit to light the other logs. Easiest thing ever.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post

LL Bean used to have an outstanding return policy but a few years ago they made it just one year, which I think will hurt sales. I stopped going for Ďrealí outdoor items since they started catering to the yuppie urban crowd and less for the actual remote adventurer. Itís too bad because they made some nice gear and I still have a winter tent from them. But, their kayak and bike sections are much larger now so I find myself going back more often. Their selection isnít huge but is diverse enough to make the trip worthwhile, but unless you have a coupon or go during a sale you probably arenít going to find a deal.
    I'm told they were kinda forced to modify their policy on returns because people were abusing it. No different than anyone else. My wife's cousin's wife is a serial returner and is now banned from Macy's and the Gap. Truth. She would outfit the whole family for a vacation and do things like put masking tape on the soles of the shoes to protect them and return everything after they got home.
    People were returning things that were 25 years old to Beans. They finally said enough. I can respect that.
    I also agree their stuff has gone yuppie. I still find some stuff I like but the majority of my clothes comes from Duluth Trading.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I canít respect it because they caused their own problems. They were allowing returns of sleeping bags with holes burned in them, people using the gear as rentals, and gear that was so old and moldy it needed a hazmat team to remove it. And the common denominator here is LL Bean accepting the return. They said all along the lifetime warranty was the lifetime of the equipment and not the owner, but then they ignored that.

EMS instituted the same policy and itís hurting them big time. This will hurt LL Bean but not as much since they arenít dealing with high end hiking and camping gear, more urban items that will probably never be worn out because itís used seldomly.

I buy from them because they usually have a sale that is decent or they may have the item in stock and I donít want to wait. Otherwise I can usually get things cheaper and with a better warranty (or just better gear) somewhere else.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

All fat, all the time.
    Shops should stand up to the idiots abusing the return policy, it's costs everybody more, the company passes on those costs to the consumer at some point.