Weinmann 80mm fatbike rim and a pugsley.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Weinmann 80mm fatbike rim and a pugsley.

So, i am in the process of building up a pugsley 2018 frame and struggeling to decide on what rim i should use for the rear wheel.
    A mulefoot or a My other brother darryl with 64 spokeholes for offset building will cost me around 230$ (roughly) with shipping and taxes.

Or i can get a weinmann rim for 38$, and the shop that is selling it is 35 minutes away by car. Instead of in another country/continent

But i would have to drill out the spokeholes myself, and the cutouts.
    For the rear hub i am using a Hope 2 Evo i have lying around.
    With that price i could even screw up the first rim, buy another one and still have money to spare compared to buying a mulefoot or darryl rim.

The plan is to have the pugsley primarly as a winter bike, but knowing myself it will be used all year so i want wheels i can trust.
    On paper the weinmann rims seems plenty strong(but heavy) unless the aluminium is actually high grade chinesium.

In the front i am using a moonlander fork and a BR710 rim
    Anyone have some advice, or experience with the weinmann rim?
    And/or doing something similar.

mtbr member
    The Weinmann HL80? is a cheaper rim found on many introductory fatbikes. Framed MN series has them and BD will have them on the cheaper offerings as well. It is not a tubeless rim either. I would avoid it honestly unless I was replacing that exact rim to match. I would stick with a Surly rim or perhaps look for a slightly cheaper Alex Blizzerk rim. Alex makes the Surly rims iirc, and I think have the two rows of spoke holes for offset rear wheel builds.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I will chime in on the MuleFut 80 portion. That is a great rim, BUT not ideal for offset pugsley builds. I have one currently mounted up to a Hope Pro2 SS/Trials hub, tension is great, nice and balanced, but the rim itself is just lacking in enough material to make it a strong wheel. It is ridable, but you can feel that it is a little flexier than is ideal, just doesn't have that stout feel you want a wheel to have. I even felt that while I was building it up when I would destress the wheel, so I took some extra caution building it.

What country are you in? If you have access to a trek dealer, maybe they could get some of the 26" Jackalopes for you? Otherwise, the MOBD rim is a good option as well. The Blizzerk series rims as @dbhammercycle mentioned would be a great choice as well and possibly easier to source depending on your locale.
    FATTrailer for the kiddo, As Seen on the blue/green trails around Grand Junction now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    The Weinmann HL80? is a cheaper rim found on many introductory fatbikes...
    It may be cheap, but they are strong in my experience. Weinmann have always made decent rims.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    It may be cheap, but they are strong in my experience. Weinmann have always made decent rims.
    I don't think the rim is weak, I never had any issues with them for the season or so I had them and I'm 230 naked and dry. The only thing I did was retension the wheels after I had ridden them a bit which is normal for a machine built wheel and there was a minor flat spot. Other than that, they rolled fine. I'm sure I would have had issues with the Quanta hubs before the rim honestly. That said, if the OP has to take time to drill the rim so that he can build an offset rear, then IMO he is better off purchasing a rim that has the drilled spoke holes in the first place to do that.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    I guess 60mm Marge Lites are too narrow?

I ride my Pugsley year round, and really like original Marge Lites.

I did dent the rear last year (operator error)...fortunately my local shop was able to straighten
    As a precaution, I was able to pickup a backup set for $45 each online.

No issues running tubeless...seating the tire first (with a tube) makes it easier.
    Nates in the Rear, and Maxxis FBRs in the Front = Good Times