Weight difference between Specialized M-5 Alum fork and Carbon fiber Chisel/FACT fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Weight difference between Specialized M-5 Alum fork and Carbon fiber Chisel/FACT fork

Hey Dudes, Does anyone know what the weight difference in weight is between the Specialized Fatboy M-5 aluminum fork and carbon fiber Fatboy Chisel/FACT fork? Just getting trying to get an idea if it's worth swapping out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've heard it's close to a pound because I considered it myself. In the end for me I invested in less rolling weight.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I do not have any experience with SpecialEd fat parts, but I have had a slew of borealis and RSD carbon forks in my possession, along with every suspension fork and a lauf.

The carbon forks w/ carbon steerer typically weight 690 grams. My all STEEL Surly Wednesday fork weighs 1440 grams, so the typical carbon fork is half the weight of the steel fork.

if i were a betting man, i would think aluminum would come in about halfway between the carbon and steel forks. Is it worth it? Totally up to you.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Thanks guys. I was guessing it might be around a pound. I think if I can pick up a used carbon fork for about $100 from someone that upgraded to a Bluto, then it'd be worth it. I don't want to pay much more though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaBro View Post
    Thanks guys. I was guessing it might be around a pound. I think if I can pick up a used carbon fork for about $100 from someone that upgraded to a Bluto, then it'd be worth it. I don't want to pay much more though.
    I saw a carbon Chisel fat fork on ebay for $60 a few months ago. It lasted a few days.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Cool. I'll watch for one. Does anyone know if the carbon forks have changed geometry over the years or are they the same? I have a 2016 FatBoy.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I have a 2015 Fatboy SE size L. I weighed the Alu fork at 1120 g and the carbon one at 690 g. I bought a takeoff from another MTBR bro who bought a bluto. Mine is the QR model with 135 front spacing. I think 2016 was 150 x 15, but not sure. I liked the carbon fork while I was running it. I too bought a bluto, so I have the CF fork that I might consider selling if you are interested and it fits your bike.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    The carbon forks w/ carbon steerer typically weight 690 grams. My all STEEL Surly Wednesday fork weighs 1440 grams, so the typical carbon fork is half the weight of the steel fork.

if i were a betting man, i would think aluminum would come in about halfway between the carbon and steel forks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    I have a 2015 Fatboy SE size L. I weighed the Alu fork at 1120 g and the carbon one at 690 g...
    so, my bet was ~1065 grams for the alum fork. I was off by 55 grams... not bad for a guess!
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You guessed closely enough the total amount of blue bubble bum balls in the coin bubble dispensing maching. You get a gold star.

I am not concerned with 55 grams of weight.

so, my bet was ~1065 grams for the alum fork. I was off by 55 grams... not bad for a guess!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I have a 2015 Fatboy SE size L. I weighed the Alu fork at 1120 g and the carbon one at 690 g. I bought a takeoff from another MTBR bro who bought a bluto. Mine is the QR model with 135 front spacing. I think 2016 was 150 x 15, but not sure. I liked the carbon fork while I was running it. I too bought a bluto, so I have the CF fork that I might consider selling if you are interested and it fits your bike.
    Cool, I'm interested. I'll send you a PM.

Nice! You win!

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Weight difference between Specialized M-5 Alum fork and Carbon fiber Chisel/FACT fork-e3bf6b66-548c-43d8-b456-d69f4a8e2841.jpg
    Hereís what the fork looks like. Itís the gloss black with the red design on the inside of the legs. It came off of a Fatboy Expert. Looks good with my stealth Fatboy SE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I live up north so for 4 months i focus on tires not weight. But for 12 months it might be worth it. My all Alu Hellga is a great climber, she deserves 8 months off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E3BF6B66-548C-43D8-B456-D69F4A8E2841.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	302.3 KB 
ID:	1290507
    Hereís what the fork looks like. Itís the gloss black with the red design on the inside of the legs. It came off of a Fatboy Expert. Looks good with my stealth Fatboy SE.
    Oh yeah, that's a great looking bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    A few years back my fatboy Alu fork was 135 and the carbon was 150 so i could not just put on a few $ to switch. Did you check that?