Very new to fat bikes, any help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Very new to fat bikes, any help

My first question is, what is the most affordable 29er fatbike (least costly)?

Second, do they come in single speed. Yes i know how much work they are, i just like that.

Lastly, can i switch out the fatty tires to a smaller width mountain tire for road riding?

Thank you

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Dude, you need to READ!

I'm very new to fatbikes as well and know everything I know about them from the interweb. There is a plethora of information on this forum. Grab a beer (or 2 or 10) and start reading threads.

mtbr member

Fatbikes

Quote Originally Posted by theewoodsman View Post

Second, do they come in single speed. Yes i know how much work they are, i just like that.

Lastly, can i switch out the fatty tires to a smaller width mountain tire for road riding?

Thank you
    "29r Fatbike"? Not sure there's one out there except for the Krampus. Fatbikes use 26" rims, but the tires give them a more "29r" geometry. Mine measure a little over 29" - so most fatbikes will accommodate standard 29r mtb rims with 29r tires; I have used 2.3 26" studded tires on fatbike rims, but that lowers the BB height and you are more prone to striking things on the ground with your pedals. I know several people riding SS Pugsleys, so yes, you can make them SS. For low budget, look up Tommi Sea and Fat Sand Bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Doe anyone know what the final size is for the Krampus if the wheels alone ar 29ers? How much are used fat bikes going for?

Thanks

nvphatty
    Doe anyone know what the final size is for the Krampus if the wheels alone ar 29ers? How much are used fat bikes going for?

Thanks
    i don't know exactly but the tires are surly Knard 3.0 and most likely end up 31ish is a mere guess.
    If you search a bit you will find them in the 800-1500 range used. Custom ones even more.

mtbr member

Surly

Thanks
    Surly posted that on their blog.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The Surly Krampus is the most affordable 29er fatbike.
    The Surly Krampus is also the least affordable 29er fatbike.
    A used Krampus will be selling for $1500 in the future.

short timer
    Jul 2008

Thank you
    The least costly would be a used Pugsley frame... easy to set up SS...which makes it that much more affordable.... yes you would be able to swap out wheelsets....
    "fatbike " rims are 26" to approximate the OD 29er rims with 29er tires are possible....
    read through some of the build threads .... there is a lot of information on this ...

Members who have read this thread: 0