Vee Snowshoe 120 tpi ride opinions, please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Vee Snowshoe 120 tpi ride opinions, please

This post is intended to solicit the advice of those of you who ride or have ridden the 120tpi version of the Vee Snowshoes (not the XLs). I am purchasing a Norco Sasquatch and it comes with the 120tpi Shoes, but I am skeptical about them because of all of the bad experiences riders seem to have with some of the Vee offerings. Do they self steer at low psi or is that restricted to the lower tpi Shoes? I currently run a 120 Nate on the back end and a 27tpi Husker Du on the front end of my Norco Bigfoot, and I love that combo (yes, even the wire bead up front -- I flat-out hated the Missions it came with). I am a lightweight rider, though, and can easily get down to 4 psi without sidewall wear at all. So, the self-steer is a game breaker to me -- I'm just not big enough to handle that kind of competing action while focusing on the trail ahead.

I am looking at installing a 120 Nate/120Du combo on the new bike, but I don't know if this is 100% necessary if the Shoes are good tires. Context: I ride year-round in central Ontario. Winter snow types vary, but I do know the reverse application of the Nate works great to paddle up hilly singletrack and snowmobile trails. And the Du provides sure steering and zero self steer. Summer is primarily packed trail with a sand base. Some of the climbs are loose as a result and do change with each rainfall, leaving different lines, roots and rocks exposed.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Do 72tpi tires handle lower pressures with less self steer?

mtbr member
    It's an okay tire for snow, not terrible, not great. Personally I'd run a Nate instead in the winter, better forward and off camber traction and snow doesn't stick to the tire casing.

For summer, I don't need anything more aggressive than dillingers or a Husker Du.

mtbr member
    Just got snowshoes for my bigfoot about a week ago. So far they are awesome in mud and sand. I am riding single speed and have not had the rear end slip even when standing and smashing. I'm looking forward to seeing how they ride in the snow. I am considering studding them though because i do find i end up on ice more then powder during the winter and it will benefit the single speed. I ride 2 hours west of Ottawa, where in Ontario are you, I'm always looking for new places to ride.

Anchorage, AK
    I have one on one of my front wheels. Rolling resistance is a little higher and it's a little wider than a Husker Du tire. You can compensate for the higher rolling resistance with higher pressure. I haven't run it much at low pressure and haven't noticed any self-steer. The grip in snow and dirt is very good. Overall, I'd give them a shot if I were you.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Vee Snowshoe 120 tpi ride opinions, please-img_8244.jpg

Is this the tire you are discussing?

The new bike I am getting comes with them stock, so I am curious.

The spec sheet says it is 72TPI though.

bigger than you.
    i've been running them on my 9:zero:7 since Jan. i've not had an issue with self-steer at any pressure on snow or dirt, but i've found that Vee Tires perform differently than Surly/Innov tires and want a little more pressure. i'll ride at anywhere between 5-9 psi in snow and 12-15 psi on pavement and hardpack. i really like the tire in the dirt and find that it's a great mixture of aggressive traction and somewhat low rolling resistance. A typical summer ride for me will see between 12-20 miles of pavement to get to/from the trails and 8-20 miles of trail riding. i've averaged approximately 1,000 miles on the front tire and then i rotate it to the back where i''ll get another 600-800 miles.

the one flaw that this tire has is ironically, in its snow performance, where the front can have a tendency to wash out when cornering, due to too much space between the lugs. Many including myself, have encountered this, but it seems to be a matter of how aggressively you ride; if you just putter about in the snow, it probably won't be too bad. tend to ride a little more aggressively and because of this, when I'm due for a new rear tire in a couple of months, i'll run an H-Billie up front, which features a similar tread, but with additional lugs, presumably to address the washout issues. i plan to rotate the front snowshoe to the rear until it wears too much to be useful in the snow.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    This post is intended to solicit the advice of those of you who ride or have ridden the 120tpi version of the Vee Snowshoes (not the XLs). I am purchasing a Norco Sasquatch and it comes with the 120tpi Shoes, but I am skeptical about them because of all of the bad experiences riders seem to have with some of the Vee offerings. Do they self steer at low psi or is that restricted to the lower tpi Shoes? I currently run a 120 Nate on the back end and a 27tpi Husker Du on the front end of my Norco Bigfoot, and I love that combo (yes, even the wire bead up front -- I flat-out hated the Missions it came with). I am a lightweight rider, though, and can easily get down to 4 psi without sidewall wear at all. So, the self-steer is a game breaker to me --

Thanks in advance.
    The knobs are to far apart for self steer.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Sasquatch Fat Bike Mountain Bikes Norco Bicycles I'm curious to see if the Sasquatch does in fact come with 4.5's. Norco's website shows 4.7's pictured but the specifications show 4.5.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have them. It self steers on smooth dirt at low pressure for me. When I raise the pressure I have no problems(and on hardpack, I want higher pressure anyway) I feel that they are sensitive in terms of pressure. I run them front and back for summer but will run it as a rear tire with a Bud up front for winter. This way I get great rolling resistance(and enough traction) for the rear and loads of float ant traction for the front.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm just west of Barrie. The trails only iced up last year in a conservation area where there was a lot of pedestrian traffic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks so much, everyone -- your feedback is really appreciated. There's lots of good info in the posts you've shared. I'm going to continue to weigh my options, though -- I really need to be able to go to really low PSIs in winter because I don't weigh a lot and I need to drop it to get enough surface contact. The Vees may not afford me that option, at least not as low as I would like to go.

Rocking on a Rocky
    I'm 220 and run my snowshoes down to around 5 psi last winter with no problem.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.