Vee Bulldozer tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Vee Bulldozer tires

I have a chance to pick up 2 Vee Bulldozer tires. Are they a decent snow tire, and most of all will it fit on the rear of the Minnesota 2.0? Any help would be appreciated. Or would a snowshoe be better for the rear and the bulldozer up front?

mtbr member
    The Google Machine has revealed:

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/vee...ow-933775.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/sno...xl-941661.html

Bulldozer apparently isn't great on the front (from what i have read).
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

I have Bud front and Bulldozer rear and I like the combo. No idea on front. I've heard flipping it around makes it fine on front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    They are fine tires, I really like having one on the rear. I removed the one on front simply because I wanted to try a Bud...and will not be going back.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I rode one up front this past winter with little issue. Set up tubeless great on a Mulefut. Fast rolling too.

Rocking on a Rocky
    I did not find them as good as my snowshoes
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I use them front and back. They've been great in snow at low (2ish) psi, but I'm new and haven't really ridden anything else to compare them.I would guess that they might benefit from some more aggressive tread for paddling through loosed stuff, but overall I am pleased with them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    On the Boris X5 the bulldozer fit on the rear but since it is to close to the bottom of the fork I use

Snowshoe-reaf
    Bulldozer-front

Not yet try it on the snow

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I switched from a Bud/Nate combo to Bud/Bulldozer in order to get more float this winter. The Bulldozer rubber attracts snow like a magnet, and the Surly rubber always seemed clear. Other guys running Nate/Nate had much better traction in snowy conditions. I'm ditching it and going back to Nate and will look for a different combo next winter. Not sure if Lou will fit my Fatback 170 frame, it might with some creative drivetrain work.

h16
    mtbr member
    I rode bulldozers front and rear in soft/cold snow - I had nowhere near the traction that dillinger & bud/lou folks had. Knobs are tapered somewhat. I also had experience where snow stuck between treads like crazy - there is a crosshatch pattern between knobs that may contribute, and perhaps the compound itself does as well. I switched over to vee snowshoe 4.5 - based on budget, not ultimate choice. They are better, but still not as good as dillingers that my friends ride. In firm snow bulldozers might be fine.
    I ride a 190/150 spacing bike - bulldozers I have are 4.7 - I'm under impression that min 2.0 is a 170/135 bike - I suggest reconfirming they will fit before making the plunge.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Dozers got me through the winter but there are better tires for snow. They are a super all round tire though - a great balance of volume, weight, rolling resistance, value, IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i hated the bulldozer as a front tire,tried both directions and it felt like the handlebars were going to get jerked out of my hands at any moment...the bud/bulldozer combo is working ok for me but the moment the knard 4.8s come out im getting those...

i live in the desert by the way,the bulldozer does pretty good in the loose over hardpack and deep soul sucking sand around here and the tire compound seems to deal with the desert plants pretty well,i noticed the goatheads dont go as deep as they do in the softer surly tires...

h16
    mtbr member
    one more observation from experience - when I ran bulldozer 4.7's front and rear, I felt a lot of "self steer" or other effect in the cockpit - I ran than at somewhere around 6 to 8 lbs. My 4.5 vee snowshoes have a lot less of that it seems to me. It's mostly in the front where I suspect this is an issue, but it was noticeable to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Bulldozers front and rear. Put about 75 miles so far in dry, mud and finally today snow. Great all around tires. Did well in the 6" powdery snow today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mtbr member
    I have run them down to 3lbs in the deep snow and liked them. On the dirt they seem have great traction. I haven't really run into a situation were I felt they were lacking traction either while climbing or cornering. I haven't tried any other tires yet so take my experience for what its worth. I was thinking of FBN for the summer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I used snowshoe/bulldozer. The traction is good on hard snow, going up on a hiking trail it was like if the front whell will lift sine the bull is higher than the snow on the back. After my ride I removed the snowshoe in the back and put 2 bulldozer.
    Now the side knob hit the side on the bottom of the rear fork.
    Should I trim the side of the knobe

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I try my Boris X5 with the Bulldozer on the rear-front and since the rear tire touch the frame to often I will put back the Snowshoe on the back. Both tire ( bulldozer ans snowshoe) are label 26x4.7 but the snowshoe is more 4,25 inch and the bulldozer is a real 4.7 and about 1/2 inch higher.
    Today I ride on a snow road and in couple of backcountry ski trail and it was fun, the traction of the bulldozer was fine even at 10 psi

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bruwill View Post
    I have a chance to pick up 2 Vee Bulldozer tires. Are they a decent snow tire, and most of all will it fit on the rear of the Minnesota 2.0? Any help would be appreciated. Or would a snowshoe be better for the rear and the bulldozer up front?
    I had one on the back, and never really liked it - it doesn't seem to have much traction when riding soft trails at an angle, and it has more rolling resistance than I expect. Not a bad tire, but not a good one. The GC is about the same size, and a much better tire for my purposes, but your milage may very of course.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I got a pair of these to use as summer tires (120tpi folding). I mounted them "backwards" and tubeless, on Mulefuts. They are advertised as tubeless, and they did set up tubeless very easily.

I saw hamsterspam's posts in both this thread and another about bad self steer issues right after I ordered them, so I was a little worried.

My initial impression from the first ride, is that they are a decent compromise between traction and rolling resistance. Everything seemed to stick to them, the first few minutes my downtube was pretty much getting sandblasted. Maybe it was just because they were brand new, this seemed to go away a few miles into the ride.

There is a little more self steer in the front than some other fat tires I've ridden. It was slightly noticeable over the Lou up front it replaced, but not by much. I was at 9 psi, and I would say it steered like a lot of other tires at 5-6 psi. Due to the comments I've seen on here, I was paying special attention to any feelings of self steer. It's entirely possible I may not have really noticed if I didn't read about that beforehand. Not a dealbreaker, but there may be better options out there for a front tire. Rear worked great, no complaints with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    after a bit more time riding with just the bulldozer on the back and a bud up front all i can still say is "meh"....its not a bad tire for the local loose over hardpack,its just not particularly good...its pretty resistant to the desert stuff and rocks,but the off camber traction is poor,it slips were the lou would be glommed onto the ground,on the other hand it seems velcroed to bare rock....i dunno,cant say anything too good or bad about them as a rear tire aside from as soon as my set of knard 4.8s get in they are going on craigslist....

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    ....i dunno,cant say anything too good or bad about them as a rear tire.
    Exactly how I feel about them. I haven't overly felt them slip or be annoyed in any way other than my biggest complaint - the texture they put between the knobs is a bad idea. Compared to Bud on front, and then also checking my friends tires on group rides (ground controls), the bulldozers are really bad at shedding mud or sticky snow. They will, but just not very great. But they are still a pretty good tire for the most part... 7/10 stars for me.

Here is a photo of Bud and then Bulldozer at the same spot on a river area non-singletrack trail. I darkened the background quick so the tires didn't blend in.

Vee Bulldozer tires-camerazoom-20150401170844192.jpg Vee Bulldozer tires-camerazoom-20150401170829111.jpg

10 minutes later on some gravel...

Vee Bulldozer tires-camerazoom-20150401172423215.jpg Vee Bulldozer tires-camerazoom-20150401172411362.jpg
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    About mounting the front tire backwards: I flipped my front Bulldozer around so that the ramps are going the "correct way" and hitting the ground first. The tires seem to roll a bit better and the self steer (which wasn't that bad in the first place to me) seems a bit better. This is really splitting hairs here, I don't think these tires are particularly directional.

One genuine difference: the vibration off of the front tire on pavement is significantly less with the front flipped.
    Last edited by hiro11; 01-25-2016 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New question here. Does the texture on the Bulldozer have a function, or is it just form?

Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    ...my biggest complaint - the texture they put between the knobs is a bad idea. Compared to Bud on front, and then also checking my friends tires on group rides (ground controls), the bulldozers are really bad at shedding mud or sticky snow.
    That texture holds a lot of mud. I wonder is there is any technical reason for it, or if it's just there for aesthetics?

mtbr member
    Tom
    I agree with all of the positive ratings in this thread. great all around tire. although everyone here probably stopped reading this thread 2 years ago.