Vanhelga on Marge Lites- Mtbr.com
    Yeet so hard

Vanhelga on Marge Lites

I tried to set my Vanhelga (120tpi) up split tube tubeless on Marge Lites and had no success. And I need some tips!

I did everything I read: Clean the inside of the rim, put the 24x2.4" tub on, split the tube, remove the split tube and wash it, replace the split tube, throw the tire on, try to inflate. I used a compressor to try and inflate it but I couldn't get the tire to even come close to seating on the bead.

Do I need to add foam to the channel of these rims? I haven't seen anything regarding that for these... I could have missed something though.

Any tips or tricks? I tried wrapping the tire to decrease the volume and hold it flatter to the rim, but was unsuccessful with that also.

I finished my beer, threw tubes back in so that I could ride today, but I want to take another stab at it over the weekend.

Thanks ahead of time.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

Loser
    I haven't done that tire, but I have done multiple FBNs on Marge Lites. The problem is the center channel is deep, so it's hard to get the tire to start taking air. It takes some patience to get it to work. Some ideas:
    I put a ratchet strap around the tire and cinch it down just enough to put a little pressure on it (too much and the tire buckles).

Put some dishwashing soap on the beads.

Try gently moving the tire beads out toward the edge of the rim, all you need to do is get a little bit of air in to move those beads out.

I hang the tire by the rim so the weight of the wheel isn't creating a kink on the bottom.

It sometimes takes just a bit of bouncing and shaking to get the tire in the perfect spot for the air to start pushing on the beads.

Remove the core from your tube if you can, you want a lot of air coming out of the compressor.

A short piece of Camelbak hose works perfect if I unscrew the end of my compressor gun, it fits inside the gun and outside the schrader valve, with that set up I get maximum air flow for that first push.

Hope that helps. I've had tires air up instantly and I've had to mess around for 20 minutes sometimes to get one to take, but I've never failed.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Did you spray lots of soapy water on the split tube and tire bead? It is a key step. A couple of drops of Dawn dish detergent diluted in a spray bottle is the ticket. I set up my Knards on Marge Lites last weekend and aired up with a floor pump and no tire strap was required in my case. Some tires need the strap, some don't, but all need soapy water.

turtles make me hot
    I was usually able to get any tire seated on any rim with a strap and some careful wiggling. My son's HuskerDus on Marge Lites were the most difficult.
    After his wheels, I started adding a layer of foam between the rim strip and split tube.
    Everything seats on the first try with my pump. I made life even easier by getting that Bontrager pump with the air chamber.
    Go to Ace or Home Depot and look for a roll of pink sill foam. It's 4" wide. I use the entire width on my Clownshoes. I trim it for Darryl and Marge.
    Weighs nothing. You never know it's there once the tire is set up.
    I like turtles

Yeet so hard
    Great tips.

I'll definitely try the soap first. Not sure how much it will help cause the Vanhelgas seem to have an extremely loose fit on the rim. So loose that when I took the air out of the tube to remove it the bead unseated as the tire had no pressure. I also was able to completely remove the tire and put it back on the rim without using any levers...

If I don't have any luck with the suds I think I'm going to try a thin foam strip taped into the bottom of the channel with the split tube over it.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm guessing they are similar to the D5's I put on Marge Lites. For those I needed to use a tube to seat the tire and even then it was tricky keeping it on the rim. Unfortunately that isn't an option with split tube. It is definitely the rim profile and not the tire as the D5's and Vanhelga's mount very tight to a true tubeless rim like the Whisky rim.

After using the Clownshoe rim strip method on Marge Lites, I'd never try anything else. It's cheap, lighter than split tube, and reusable. Still a pain to mount tires with though due to the rim profile. Some tips are here: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/tub...rk-895718.html
    19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    I've run Vanhelga on Marge Lites using Scotch Tough Tape to air proof the rim like this: Tubeless Fatbike Conversion Update | Cycles In Life

1. Mount the tyre with a tube, and inflate to max pressure
    2. Make sure the bead has set evenly on both sides. Massage the tyre or bounce the wheel if not.
    3. Deflate, break free one side only, remove the tube and insert empty valve shaft.
    4. Place the wheel with the loose side down, and blow air through the empty valve shaft using a compressor. It should seat in a second or two.
    5. Insert valve core and inflate to max pressure. Make sure the bead is set properly.
    6. Deflate, remove valve core, inject tubeless goo, insert valve, inflate, ride.

Vanhelga on Marge Lites-img_20150508_111458-2.jpg

Yeet so hard
    I got it to work! (Well, I did it last night and they felt very firm when I went to bed ~4 hours later)

I picked up some sill foam from Lowes. This stuff Shop Dow WEATHERMATE R 0 3.5-in x 50-ft Unfaced Polystyrene Roll Insulation at Lowes.com
    I cut it to length and about 1+7/8" width. This allows it to fill the cavity in the rim but not go onto the bead shelf. I taped the one end to the rim strip opposite the valve stem where the weld is. I then taped it to itself to keep it on the wheel only about 3" total of duct tape used per wheel. When I was doing this I stretched it a little bit so that it conformed to the profile of the rim. I then laid my split tube right over the top and popped the tires on. The front aired up with a hand pump first try. Then removed the core, added sealant, pumped it back up and did the shake rattle and roll dance.
    The rear was not as easy to inflate. I wound up taking some electric tape and wrapping it once around the tire right over the stem. I then went like 8 inches to either side of this and did the same thing. I then aired it up with a floor pump and it worked perfectly. I forgot to take pics during it, sorry.

Hope this helps the next guy
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

turtles make me hot
    Awesome!!
    I like turtles